• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Bleepey

Banned
Nov 11, 2017
Well don't let anyone tell she is funny her expecting Chapelle money for her level of fame

Syriel

Banned
Dec 13, 2017
Even in the US she hasn't exactly been a household name or even a name for a long time.

She hasn't been a name in a long time. Some folks might remember her from the UPN sitcom, but that was like 20 years ago. And as for Precious, she may have won an award, but she burned her bridges when she shat on the film by refusing to promote it for awards season.

bid high, bid low, negotiate and meet in the middle somewhere. low balling someone outright is an insult

$500k isn't exactly a lowball figure for someone who isn't a big name. Rather, it's a pretty nice payday.

The Parkers went off the air 14 years ago. There are probably people on this forum who weren't even alive when the show was on TV. She has talent but she has made a series of bad decisions that basically destroyed her chance to be larger. if anything a 500k payday from Netflix for a comedy special was the perfect way to try and get back on a positive roll

This. So much this. Missed opportunity here. Hell, just having her face/name on the Netflix title card would ensure that middle America would learn to recognize her. Netflix keeps those specials on point for a few months in the UI. Landing that is going to raise anyone's profile.

That's not great for talent like Mo'Nique. As one agent told Vulture, "She will be lucky if she can find anywhere else that will even pay her half of what Netflix was offering

Yup

If Netflix is willing to pay double what anyone else will pay her, then by definition, Netflix isn't lowballing. They're paying above market.

You can argue she doesn't rate an 8 figure check, but she sure as fuck is worth more than a mill, let alone 5K.

It was $500k, as stated in the OP. Not $5k.

Shig

Oct 30, 2017
I mean, I guess she's similar to Dave Chappelle in the sense that they both kinda dropped off the face of the earth for a while and are now back with Netflix comedy specials.

The difference is that Chappelle did a show that was a huge cultural touchstone before he disappeared, and people have been clamoring for him to come back ever since.

There ain't a bunch of Queens of Comedy memes getting good mileage on the internet a decade+ later. There ain't no one loudly wondering why Mo'nique left at the top of her game.

Seneset

Oct 27, 2017
Limbus Patrum
I mean, I guess she's similar to Dave Chappelle in the sense that they both kinda dropped off the face of the earth for a while and are now back with Netflix comedy specials.

The difference is that Chappelle did a show that was a huge cultural touchstone before he disappeared, and people have been clamoring for him to come back ever since.

There ain't a bunch of Queens of Comedy memes getting good mileage on the internet a decade+ later. There ain't no one loudly wondering why Mo'nique left at the top of her game.

Totally agree, if you asked a bunch of people to name the Queens of Comedy I seriously doubt you'd have many people that could name them, including Mo'nique. On the flip side, you asked about the "I'm Rick James" skit and it would more than likely have tons of Chappelle answers.

Blackage

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Mo'nique stays losing, she burned all her acting bridges and now she just potentially burned her Netflix bridge. The perception is she's awful to work with so she's got no leg to stand on when she cries foul like this.

She needs to learn some humility and crawl back into relevance.

Raein

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I'm going to guess they "lowballed" you because their audience doesn't know who the hell you are.

PSqueak

Oct 25, 2017
Good for her to reject a sum she believes is not fair, but it's a strange move to claim she was a victim of Racism and/or Sexism, i mean, i think other comedians prolly got offered more money because they have bigger brand power.

Syriel

Banned
Dec 13, 2017

It wasn't just rumor.

Mo'Nique said:
"When people say, 'You care more about money than winning an Oscar,' well, what does an Oscar mean? An Oscar means more work when you win it, and that means more money!" retorts Mo'Nique in response to the allegations. "I couldn't eat that Oscar. Everybody needs money, baby. That's how we survive, right?"

Source:
http://www.nydailynews.com/entertai...endangered-attitude-insiders-article-1.165153

Are we really at a point where we are comparing the stand up demand of Mo'nique to Chappelle?

I don't think anyone is seriously making that comparison aside from Mo'Nique.

Akira86

Oct 25, 2017
I dunno about you, but I'm sure plenty of people would willingly lick the ground for 500K.
it is not the point what the average person is willing to do. What is a professional, leveled in a particular industry expected to do is the question.

Since when is half a million dollars 'crawling'?
in response to
She needs to learn some humility and crawl back into relevance.

Are you comparing Mo'nique to Tina Fey?
why not?

pewpewtora

Nov 23, 2017
Connecticut
Maybe it is sexism, but I don't see how race plays in if she's comparing her offer to Chappelle's and Rock's. To me, $500K seems like a hell of a payday for standup I've never heard of....and I'm relatively in tune with the bigger stand up names out there.

I think it's because she's just not big enough for netflix to want to offer her a huge deal. Regardless of what you think of each comic Shumer, Chappelle, and Rock are big names. Mo'nique? not really. I think she's really reaching by claiming racism.

Kirblar

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Good for her to reject a sum she believes is not fair, but it's a strange move to claim she was a victim of Racism and/or Sexism, i mean, i think other comedians prolly got offered more money because they have bigger brand power.
This kinda feels like Netflix is a new kid trying to be nice to the kid in class that nobody likes, only to quickly learn why nobody likes them.

Wreck We Em

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
Some people think they are worth more than they are

Mo'Nique definitely was a pioneer for black female stand up comics but shes fallen so far out of relevancy that shes just not worth as much as she thinks

She's definitely not on the level of house hold names like Dave Chappelle and Chris Rock

NameUser

Oct 25, 2017
You know why. Because Tina Fey is more popular. So she has more leverage. Who else is lining up to offer Mo'nique $500,000? She just saw what the others were making and got greedy. Netflix probably ran the numbers and gave her what she deserved.

A smart person would've taken the money, put on a killer show, and used that to try and get a bigger pay day next time. $500,000 for an hour is still pretty damn good.

Last edited:

PoppaBK

Oct 27, 2017
So is her argument really that we should boycott Netflix because they are obviously racist and sexist based on the them giving a lot of money to black and female stars.

THE GUY

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
This would be like Lita coming back for a short run in the WWE and complaining she's not getting offered the same amount as Goldberg, The Rock, or Batista.

Mammoth Jones

Oct 25, 2017
New York
Oh I don't wanna hear that shit. She ain't relevant cause her career tanked cause she didn't wanna play the politics game all actors do after Precious.

After that she got blackballed. Now, that's not what this conversation is about but it gives context to why her career is in the position it's in.

She is in no way shape or form anywhere near Chappelle in terms of being a relevant draw or getting those types of views.

It's a reflection of her current position. Nothing more. And once again she handles shit terribly. It's like she building the coffin for her career and hammering those nails as hard as she can but complaining the entire time.

As LionPride said Leslie Jones or someone relevant would be a more apt comparison. She's just shitty at the politics in the entertainment industry. So many hungry comedians out there would give anything for the exposure and 500k a Netflix special would bring them but instead of seeing the long term she just cries foul. FOH.

gdt

Oct 26, 2017
I just asked my GF is she knew who Mo'Nique was. She said yes but didn't know from where. I mentioned Precious and then she got it. That's all she knows her from though.

XAL

Oct 27, 2017
Really? Never seen Precious? Never heard of the Oscar campaign "scandal" which is probably the reason her career dropped off afterwards?
It was 10 years ago at this point. I mean it's understandable.

Not being relevant for 10 years? In Hollywood you might as well be dead. There's no heat on Monique's career, sub-zero.

She's lucky to get 500K for an online standup special.

knicks

Oct 27, 2017
Not speaking for everybody, but I personally have never heard of this person before. The other three are big stars so....isn't this how it works? Don't think it has anything to do with her being a black woman.

I am sure that if Netflix offered a gig to Wanda Sykes, she would get just as much as those three.

Compbros

Oct 30, 2017
I'll say, just because someone has done stand up doesn't mean they're known for standup. Donald Glover did standup as well but I would never expect him to get a 7 figure deal for a new special. In fact if you put Mo'nique in google the tenth result is "comedy" which could mean anything but I'll count it as stand up. For Chris Rock you get "tour" at third and "stand up" at seventh. For Dave Chappelle it's the exact same, tour at third and stand up at seventh. For Amy fifth is tour and seventh is stand up.

Jessie

Oct 27, 2017
You can't whine about being underpaid when you put zero effort into your career. For 500k I'd do a Truman Show for Netflix tbh.

jroc74

Oct 27, 2017
Chappelle's most recent special was not good at all, so she's right on that at least.
I dont agree but this is an interesting point when you mention relevant.

How is Dave more relevant when he was basically gone for years? She was still doing movies while he was away.

I think he is an amazing comedian. But he's more relevant?

Ok, his popularity was bigger than hers when Chapelle show was out. But damn, that was years ago.