Zan

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
So, it happened. My retro 1980's TV broke in a big way and we had to put it down. Instead of fiddling about with local garage sales and whatever, i've decided to use all the "Classic Mini" consoles I have and get a monitor to make a "no Fuss" retro room.

Except... I dunno the first thing about them. Essentially what i'm looking for is a few things:

-Multiple HDMI ports. I know I can use a splitter to add more, and I will.
-Built in speakers
-Avaviable in Canada at a repuitable "Big Box" retailer.
-Less than 30" wide.

Any more info or reccomendations are welcome.

Jul 1, 2020
If you are only hooking these types of devices up to it then you should try to get a 720p native display since none of those mini consoles output anything higher than that. This will result in a sharper image since it's not being scaled which TVs are really bad at in terms of scaling video games.

oddjobs

Oct 27, 2017
D-1.jpg

I just bought the LG Dual Up for productivity (and dumb shit like retro gaming)
It's not great by any measure (no VRR, 60hz, no real HDR) but I absolutely fucking love playing old games on it because you can get them to fill a big part of the screen

edit: I'm using it with a MiSTer and PC so scaling is probably quite a bit nicer than with retro mini consoles

OP
OP
Zan

Zan

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
If you are only hooking these types of devices up to it then you should try to get a 720p native display since none of those mini consoles output anything higher than that. This will result in a sharper image since it's not being scaled which TVs are really bad at in terms of scaling video games.

Good to know. I figure it may be a bit hard to get as stores are looking toward 4K, so I guess my choices are a bit limited?

Jul 1, 2020
Good to know. I figure it may be a bit hard to get as stores are looking toward 4K, so I guess my choices are a bit limited?
If you don't care about getting something used I'd check your local thrift stores or Facebook Marketplace. If you have to get something new then a 1440p computer monitor is 4x the resolution of a 720p display and should give you somewhat better scaling results versus a 1080p display. 1440p displays are readily available new or maybe even used as well.