• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Heckler456

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Belgium
Discuss.

This topic was just too juicy to simply give up on. I was personally surprised that there was more than one person who actually shared this belief with the person who made this comment in that "liberal men" thread, so I'd really love to see where these people are coming from. I always thought that polygamy was relegated to hippie communes, Mormons, and some African countries.

I'd also love to hear these people's thoughts on the decision of the United Nations to declare polygamy as violating the International Covenant on Civil and Political Rights. Because, you know, I can see how you'd love to stray from a marriage as a person, I guess, but I do hope that these people understand the implications of polygamy on a population-wide scale.

TerminusFox

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Classic case of wanting to have your cake and to eat it too.

Either A) just sleep around as a single person orB) Find a partner who's polyamorous

Don't knock others for their choice of monogamy

gutter_trash

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Montreal
polygamy does not compute with my jealous and introverted nature

monogamy is about trust, mutality, respect, love one-to-one.

polygamy is just STDs all over the place, disloylty, distrust, chaos, and dilution of love.

now you talk about international stuff. Polygamy is just an excuse for men to have multile wives. A power status for men over women

Hellwarden

Oct 25, 2017
I mean, if you're not looking for a one on one thing, cool.

Just make sure you tell people that before you hook up.

Deleted member 25108

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 29, 2017
Gonna be honest. I feel anyone who thinks monogamy is easy or the default way humans should be is either living in a fantasy world or simply doesn't have all that many options.

We commit to monogamy for many reasons, but it is a commitment and it is over time very hard. We do it because we love our partners and don't want to hurt them.

But I feel way more people would be poly if they truly believed their partner would be OK with it. Especially if said partner had no problem staying exclusive in return. Men lie, women lie, numbers don't.

Deleted member 19003

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I think there is merit to the idea that it could cause social unrest by creating inequality. Probably why polygamy is pretty niche and never really catches on.

RDreamer

Oct 25, 2017
Monogamy as a societal standard to live up to is bullshit.

But no pretty much no one "deserves" to be cheated on. Unless they cheated themselves I guess.

If you don't want monogamy then don't do it. I hope more people feel free to choose other lifestyles that fit them as time goes on so we don't have this sort of dilemma.

Slayven

Never read a comic in his life
Oct 25, 2017
Sounds like someone trying justify their bullshit.

Decide what you want in a relationship, tell the other parties if they agree cool, if not then other fish in the sea

TinfoilHatsROn

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
This topic doesn't seem like it was made in good faith for discussion, and I was one of the ones in the thread who reacted to this comment. Eh. I dunno. Whatever.

Ogodei

One Winged Slayer
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Coruscant
Polyamory is one of those things i struggle to understand. Rationally I get that there's no harm in it as long as everyone involved is informed and consenting, but as a long-term arrangement it leaves me scratching my head (this compared to something like Swinging, which I find more understandable for some reason).

collige

Oct 31, 2017
I personally am not a fan of monogamy, but Barry Bond's post in the other thread was nonsensical because the defining property of cheating is the lying part which by definition makes you a prick.

Mr_Black

Banned for having an alt account
Oct 27, 2017
Banned: Misogyny. 1 month.
I think genetically and perhaps naturally, women are meant to be group sexed on.

Why would we have sperms that are designed to fight other rival sperms otherwise?

I maybe wrong but assuming we do have a sperm that do battle, then one can infer that women are designed to be taking on multiple guys.

gcwy

Oct 27, 2017
Houston, TX
I couldn't image myself in a situation where I love two people at the same time. People cheat because they're no longer attracted to their SO, physically or otherwise.

Barry Bonds

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
For all the people mentioning the societal problems associated with polygamy, you do realize those problems only arise because historically polygamy has been a one sided affair?

If we had true polygamy where both men and women can have as many partners as they desire, there would be no increase in crime etc.

nick shaw

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
its really insanely easy not to cheat on one person, and monogamy is a million times easier to comprehend and manage than polygamy or polyamory, so frankly anyone who tries for more than one lover is either an idiot or addicted to love

Oct 28, 2017
Highly disagree. While I enjoy the hunt when going out even while being in a relationship. I don't need to actually have sex with another person.

I'm all for open relationship to be a more common and less stigmatized as some people can't seem to function in a monogamy, but it's not for me.

I am surprised by the amount of men and women that are fine with being the lover (for one time or multiple times).

I think genetically and perhaps naturally, women are meant to be group sexed on.

Why would we have sperms that are designed to fight other rival sperms otherwise?

I maybe wrong but assuming we do have a sperm that do battle, then one can infer that women are designed to be taking on multiple guys.
Well male ducks have dicks made for rape and female vagina's are a maze to avoid getting raped. So I wouldn't infer anything based on just the male sexual characteristics.

Balma

Oct 27, 2017
Sounds like someone who wants to fuck around but would get angry if the other person did the same.

nick shaw

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
furthermore, we are ourselves one person. it stands to reason we should not try to bite off more than we can chew.

OP
OP
Heckler456

Heckler456

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Belgium
For all the people mentioning the societal problems associated with polygamy, you do realize those problems only arise because historically polygamy has been a one sided affair?

If we had true polygamy where both men and women can have as many partners as they desire, there would be no increase in crime etc.

Yeah, and, how do you guarantee this happens the way you say it should? There's a reason that, historically speaking, polygamy ends up the way that it does today.

megloveszelda

Nov 1, 2017
Blah. As somebody who is only interested in monogamous relationships, that is bullsh*t.

"Deserves to be cheated on" ... Damn.

TrueSloth

Oct 27, 2017
If a couple wants to be in a monogomous relationship, that's up to them. If they want to be in a polygamous relationship, that's up to them. Its not up to others to tell people who to live their lives.

Malovis

Oct 27, 2017
ZmL17.gif

low-G

Oct 25, 2017
I don't know how you can make this statement without having been in a polygamous relationship.

I don't think anyone besides a researcher is qualified to make this statement truly. I have polyamorous friends who have maintained relationships and so far at least one of their relationships eventually falls by the wayside (leading to problems).

Kyougar

Cute Animal Whisperer
Nov 3, 2017
I think the society has to differentiate between married people that live together until they grow old and sexual partners.

For most couples, sex gets boring or the partner doesn't have the same sexual kinks that the other want. But both are happy in their marriage. They have kids and fell happy, just not sexually active with another. Having their sexual needs satisfied elsewhere with the approval of the other partner could let them continue their happy married life.

Status
Not open for further replies.