• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Harpoon

Oct 27, 2017
I knew right away it wasn't any sort of actual sequel since
the cloud sea was still around.

rickyson33

Banned
Nov 23, 2017
I knew right away it wasn't any sort of actual sequel since
the cloud sea was still around.

sure I didn't think that specifically was anything other than what it was but I did think that if they were opening with that they were probably announcing something at some point then it just....never happened

OP
OP
Momo

Momo

Oct 25, 2017
Is this artwork (with Rex playing Tiger Tiger!) on the main page new? I don't think I've seen it before. The piece was done by Masumi Senoo.

mv18.jpg

www.monolithsoft.co.jp

モノリスソフト

株式会社モノリスソフトのオフィシャルサイトです。

It seems like it is their second illustration piece featured on the site, the first piece being the one with Monopon, Riki, Tatsu, Tora, and a Nopon in professional attire.

Last edited:

Dark Cloud

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Is this artwork (with Rex playing Tiger Tiger!) on the main page new? I don't think I've seen it before. The piece was done by Masumi Senoo.

www.monolithsoft.co.jp

モノリスソフト

株式会社モノリスソフトのオフィシャルサイトです。

It seems like it is their second illustration piece featured on the site, the first piece being the one with Monopon, Riki, Tatsu, Tora, and a Nopon in professional attire.
It's new

OP
OP
Momo

Momo

Oct 25, 2017
Hmmm. I should include all of the artwork in the OP or in a threadmarked post. It would be nice to keep all of the pieces in one place.

It seems like there are no updates to the site...yet.

ILikeFeet

DF Deet Master
Banned
Oct 25, 2017

mv18.jpg

www.monolithsoft.co.jp

モノリスソフト

株式会社モノリスソフトのオフィシャルサイトです。

f8325fa191d493e3fdaca02c4890d560.gif

is it happening?

OP
OP
Momo

Momo

Oct 25, 2017
It's always happening. Lol

On a more serious note, this is standard. They just posted (as in just updated the site a few minutes ago) an application guideline for new graduates for this coming financial year. They do this every year in March.

Oct 25, 2017
I wonder if we will ever see that medieval game or if it really was them hiring people to help develop BOTW2

Honne should be the one working on it whatever it is right?

Last edited:

RagnarokX

Oct 26, 2017

mv18.jpg

www.monolithsoft.co.jp

モノリスソフト

株式会社モノリスソフトのオフィシャルサイトです。

Very inaccurate depiction of Tiger! Tiger!

2LyOn1L.jpg

Procheno

Alt Account
Banned
Nov 14, 2018
It really depends on when Nintendo wants to go all out announcing their lineup that'll be attached to the marketing of the Switch Pro. That's when their game should be revealed.

Just imagining Monolith Soft's next big game with better tech, more development time, and a higher budget/crew running on the Switch Pro 😳😳😳

criteriondog

I like the chili style
Oct 26, 2017
doesn't have to be exactly the same. even with the director gone, they have the talent to pull something together

someone in the switch pro thread has been hinting at a monolith soft reveal this FY
Ahh, so any time between now and the end of September? I guess that doesn't rule out Summer/E3 time, but also keeps early Fall open (if I understand fiscal years right lol)

ika

Oct 27, 2017
MAD, Spain
I think they will take a break from the Xenoblade franchise. It is pretty niche and releasing 3 games in like 4 years is a bit much. Feels like the medieval game will be something else and X3 will be what the X1 HD team will be working on maybe idk.
Nah, Takahashi stated they're focused on growing the Xenoblade franchise as a priority. And lol to the niche part.

Also, the "medieval - action - online" game is currently just a wish based on some art. One person that has MSI contacts said last year there's not such a project right now.

Vito

One Winged Slayer - Formerly Undead Fantasy
Oct 25, 2017
Hopefully the XBC2 cast returns for XBC3.

Nov 17, 2017
It really depends on when Nintendo wants to go all out announcing their lineup that'll be attached to the marketing of the Switch Pro. That's when their game should be revealed.

Just imagining Monolith Soft's next big game with better tech, more development time, and a higher budget/crew running on the Switch Pro 😳😳😳
Xenoblade 3D came out for the 3DS XL so I'm hoping for Xenoblade X on Switch Pro. Would be a good excuse for why they've left the game on Wii U all this time.

I'm one of the few people who would rather see X2 than Xenoblade 3 as the new game though.

Dec 21, 2020
Xenoblade 3D came out for the 3DS XL so I'm hoping for Xenoblade X on Switch Pro. Would be a good excuse for why they've left the game on Wii U all this time.

I'm one of the few people who would rather see X2 than Xenoblade 3 as the new game though.
It'll be a remake or a remaster. Using the switch pro features (if it ends up as hinted) and it would look gorgeous. AAA caliber open world game right there folks. And it's portable lol

Mr.Fletcher

Nov 18, 2017
UK
Always good to see more art. Hoping for an announcement later this year, but let them take their time. Monolith Soft deserve it.

Sander VF

The Fallen
Oct 28, 2017
Tbilisi, Georgia
Nah, Takahashi stated they're focused on growing the Xenoblade franchise as a priority. And lol to the niche part.

Also, the "medieval - action - online" game is currently just a wish based on some art. One person that has MSI contacts said last year there's not such a project right now.
Also, a "Medieval action RPG" could still end up as a Xenoblade game.

If Final Fantasy can do High Fantasy and action combat, why can't Xenoblade? Just stick Nopon in there somewhere and you're golden.

Mr.Fletcher

Nov 18, 2017
UK
I wouldn't expect a new IP next.

Monolith Soft released XC2 in 2017, supported it for a year, released Torna The Golden Country in 2018 and then announced Definitive Edition in 2019, before releasing it in 2020.

Takahashi has said the studio wants to focus on building the Xenoblade franchise and Pyra and Mythra have since been announced for Smash.

The conversation surrounding Xenoblade has been ongoing for years with new releases, updates, cross promotions, artbooks, soundtracks, etc.

It all feels to me like Nintendo and Monolith Soft are trying to accelerate the growth of the franchise and take things to the next level.

That said, I don't think Takahashi and Monolith Soft are the kind to stick to one franchise for keeps. We won't get to Xenoblade 16, I would have thought. They'll leave behind Xenoblade eventually, but when they do that, who knows?

Dark Cloud

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I don't want any Xenoblade characters we know showing up in the next Xenoblade game. I want a clear cut break and something new for the next Xenoblade. If it's the medieval rpg I'll be happy.

OP
OP
Momo

Momo

Oct 25, 2017
I want Xenoblade X2 more than anything, but that's clearly not happening anytime soon. I'm fine with a Xenoblade 3, as long as it's not a crossover type of thing.

Also, I think it's too early to say that Xenoblade as a series will be limited. It all depends on how future entries are received and if there are younger developers willing to take over the series.

Dark Cloud

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I want Xenoblade X2 more than anything, but that's clearly not happening anytime soon. I'm fine with a Xenoblade 3, as long as it's not a crossover type of thing.

Also, I think it's too early to say that Xenoblade as a series will be limited. It all depends on how future entries are received and if there are younger developers willing to take over the series.
The last thing I want is a crossover.

Dark Cloud

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
And I definitely think Xenoblade is limited IF it continues the same convoluted gameplay, crazy UI with numbers, status effects everywhere, big tits and half naked characters, 60+ hour just to complete the story (I know about XCX).

I'm not complaining, but your everyday person sees a combination of these things and it's not appealing. Not sure why it's so hard for some people to admit that about this franchise. I'm happy and love everything about Xenoblade. It's never going to be a big seller until changes are made starting with gameplay. I don't even want the gameplay to change.

ILikeFeet

DF Deet Master
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I still believe Monolith will make a multiplayer rpg. I don't think they'll give up the ideas that sprouted during X's development

Mr.Fletcher

Nov 18, 2017
UK
To be fair, I think most people agree.

I've argued for a slightly smaller, more polished game, with a streamlined action combat system and more grounded designs that appeal to the mainstream.

I don't care if Xenoblade does change - because I love it as is - but to become something bigger, it needs to evolve.

X was really bloated and so is XC2. They need to dial it back a bit to reach more people.

Sander VF

The Fallen
Oct 28, 2017
Tbilisi, Georgia
I've said it before, but Xenoblade could very easily have a foray into action combat.

Just make autoattacks an input (probably on shoulder buttons) and dodge/block an input (possibly also on a shoulder button).

Have arts on face buttons like in XB2.

It is not like action games don't have cooldown-based abilities. DOOM fucking Eternal has cooldown abilities. Like, a whole heap of 'em

N75

self-requested temp ban
Oct 25, 2017
Yeah I wouldn't mind if the next game has an action battle system with Arts.

I think with DE, Monolith finally understands that their UI needs to be less convoluted.

ILikeFeet

DF Deet Master
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I've said it before, but Xenoblade could very easily have a foray into action combat.

Just make autoattacks an input (probably on shoulder buttons) and dodge/block an input (possibly also on a shoulder button).

Have arts on face buttons like in XB2.

It is not like action games don't have cooldown-based abilities. DOOM fucking Eternal has cooldown abilities. Like, a whole heap of 'em
shoulders as attack is a terrible setup. there's only one combo string, so they can get away with one face button being attack, one being dodge/block depending on the weapon, and two being other stuff. shoulders can be modifiers to bring up the arts palette on the face buttons