• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Deleted member 5535

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Monolith Soft, developer of the Xenoblade series, has established a new studio in Iidabashi, Tokyo. The branch opened its doors this month.

Monolith Soft has two other studios that it has used over the years. The company has a main branch in Tokyo, where its big projects tend to be produced. Its other in Kyoto has primarily assisted the development of Nintendo titles.

https://nintendoeverything.com/monolith-soft-opens-new-studio-in-iidabashi/
https://twitter.com/honnesan/status/1004570589095346176

Dark Cloud

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Omg YES. At some point we could have Monolith Soft making 3 games at a time! Into my veins.

Terror-Billy

Chicken Chaser
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I had no idea Monolithsoft was this big. I like their output, so I'm happy for them.

Plankton2

Dec 12, 2017
I wonder how much the BOTW situation pushed them to do this, where half the studio had to help out with big project while their own project was still in development.

I hope this means we see faster dev cycles from them with their main games

Deleted member 8593

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Need to know if this is gonna be a studio with in-house devs or like the Kyoto one before I get too excited.

Martin

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Still remember people laughing at nintendo for aquiring them.

Trejo

Oct 25, 2017
Easily the best purchase Nintendo has made in recent time. They just keep growing and growing.

And people, please, I can't handle all these Baten Kaitos mentions. I know better than to dare to hope.

Prof Bathtub

Apr 26, 2018
There's more incentive to expand Monolith compared to western studios, probably because it's easier to coordinate with a nearby studio when they're doing asset support. Though if this studio is focused on helping with their original games, that's also good. They can keep up their already prestigious pace.

Enduin

You look 40
Oct 25, 2017
New York
Do we know what Honne has been up to for like the better part of a decade? Wasn't he reported to be working on an unannounced game like 8 years ago? All he's been credited with since producing DBZ: Attack of the Saiyans in 2009 is with some Concept Art and Artwork credits on XBC and XBC2 and some special thanks on a couple Zelda, Splatoon and AC games. Not a whole lot going on.

did people really laugh at them? it was shortly after xenoblade and the game was a critical darling right of the bat.
No, they were bought after putting Baten Kaitos Origins out, so about three years before Xenoblade came out in Japan. At that point, they were considered something of a charity case after Namco chewed them up over the course of the entire Xenosaga series and reached a nadir when it was revealed that Namco loaned them out to Squenix to help work on Dirge of Cerberus. And if I'm not mistaken, the only game they had in development at the time of their purchase was Disaster: Day of Crisis, which certainly got a few fans once it came out, but at the time, it was considered to be something of a joke and a long way from the legacy they once had. Heck, I even remember when Xenoblade was shown off for the first time when it was under the Monado title, and the fact that Nintendo straight-up buried the announcement in the corners of their E3 press site was pretty damn indicative of what the general sentiment was for the studio at the time.

And then Xenoblade came out, and boy, was crow in short supply then.

Bomblord

Self-requested ban
Banned
Jan 11, 2018
People joked about them turning into a bi-yearly studio with incredibly quick turn around time of Xenoblade 2 but it's starting to look like it might actually happen.