1. Momo

Momo
    Member OP

For the record, the Kyoto branch acts as a supplementary studio for the Tokyo studio and Nintendo. At least as of right now, the majority of its employees are artists.

https://www.monolithsoft.co.jp/interview/vol03.html

The interview is in Japanese, so no English translation. I promise to give a thousand kisses if a kind soul could translate the interview. Thank you!

2. Neoxon

Neoxon
    Community Resettler Member

Original as in their own games in general or original as in new IPs? I’d be down for either one.

3. Harpoon

Harpoon

Isn't Baten Kaitos's creator at the studio? Time for a spiritual successor!

4. tsab

tsab

They could tap into the Visual Novel Game market then

5. Oregano

Oregano

Why a spiritual successor when they're still on great terms with Bandai Namco?

6. ILikeFeet

ILikeFeet

Hope it happens. Feels like this will be more dependent on Monolith Soft themselves, rather than Nintendo. MS just needs to decide to staff programmers in Kyoto

All their games will be owned by Nintendo regardless (unless they work on an external company's IP, like SRW)

7. jakoo

jakoo

I mean, this isn’t a niche Nintendo has really filled themselves before right? I wouldn’t hate this idea.

8. ILikeFeet

ILikeFeet

Nintendo has funded niche ideas before

But not this niche.

9. megaStryke

megaStryke

Yes, please! With the success of Xenoblade 2, I'm wondering if they'll be allowed to try their hand at a major original project, or they'll be limited to experimenting with small titles.

10. Jump_Button

Jump_Button

Love seeing games from more artists base teams, like Team Ico " or what ever they called now days"

ps is this the artwork we saw?

[​IMG]

11. Cing's games?

12. sinonobu

sinonobu

I'd be all over this, but I don't see it happening.

Even if it happens, it'll probably be Japan only title or sth....

13. Harpoon

Harpoon

Because it just feels more likely to me. It's not like being on good terms with Namco means they're still making Xenosaga.

14. fiendcode

fiendcode

They also did a bunch of ADV games in the 80/90s (Famicom Detective Club, Shin Onigashima, etc).

15. Heartskips

Heartskips

Because this is about original titles.

Nintendo has a bunch of visual novel IPs. I would be day 1 for a Tantei Club revival.

16. Dark Cloud

Dark Cloud

Omg yessss please! Twice the amount of Monolith Soft games is what this world needs!

17. ILikeFeet

ILikeFeet

no, that's for MS Tokyo's title. MS Kyoto doesnt even have job postings for programmers

Cing's games (in addition to Telltale and DontNod) are what I envision VN becoming if they had a budget and more depth

18. Oregano

Oregano

original titles being new games, not necessarily new IPs.

Monolithsoft were still working on Bandai Namco as recently at 2016 though, it's not like it's off limits. It would also mean they could have Tri-Crescendo co-develop again.

19. Ephonk

Ephonk

Xenoblade 2 is Monolith Tokyo.
    Monolith Kyoto is a separate support studio for Nintendo (and monolith tokyo) doing 3D models, textures and art assets. It opened in 2011 and is closer to the main Nintendo studio's making it easier to collab on first party titles. They did art/assets/work on titles like Animal Crossing, Zelda BoTW, Splatoon 1&2, Pikmin etc

20. Anaron

Anaron

God yes please!

Honne <3

21. Muu

Muu

Half assed the pertinent bits. They’re not announcing anything anytime soon, just saying they’d love to do something if the opportunity comes up.

E: the rest of the interview reads like a recruitment piece for new hires, touting its no overtime policy, how their scheduling system is great, etc etc.

京と同じように、将来的には京都スタジオにプログラマーやプランナーを置いたりするというお考えはあるのでしょうか。

Do you plan to hire programmers and planners in the future in Kyoto studio, similar to Tokyo studio?

本根
    そうですね。ゆくゆくは京都スタジオでもオリジナルタイトルを開発したいという希望はもちろんあります。

Of course, my hope in the long term is to develop original titles in Kyoto studio as well.
    それは単独でタイトルを作りたいということでしょうか。
    You would like to develop titles on your own?

本根
    はい。もちろんです。あくまでも将来的な話ではありますが。一応どんなことが起きても動ける体制にはしておきたいと考えています。

Yes. Of course. We’re only talking talking about the hypothetical future though. I do want to be ready for when a situation presents itself.

22. SageShinigami

SageShinigami

So wait, Monolith Tokyo are just wizards? How'd they create XBX then turn around and do XB2 with just 30 months development time?

23. Gambit

Gambit

Yes, please. Ready for another Baten Kaitos or anything else Honne decides to make.

Give me a smaller-scale title with pre-rendered background for all I care

24. DXB-KNIGHT

DXB-KNIGHT

Yes please go ahead!

25. Come on Honne, people need you, more importantly, Baten Kaitos needs you.

26. Tribal_Cult

Tribal_Cult

A Nintendo visual novel IP is honestly the stuff of dreams for me, but do not think they'll ever go that way.

27. mindsale

mindsale

I hope Monolithsoft really stops working on Xenoblade titles. X and 2 have shown that they cannot replicate what I loved about the original game.

I'm excited for new IP's coming from their teams.

28. rzmunch

rzmunch

More games is always good. I hope Nintendo gives them the opportunity.

29. Instro

Instro

That would be nice. I always thought it was a waste that Honne was running an asset studio and not directing games. Baten Kaitos 3 would be lovely.

30. I’m not sure what they’re capable of, usually seem to lend support but hiring and expanding the Kyoto studio could lead to some interesting things.

31. 10k

Do it. Make a Xenoblade spinoff where it's just mechs and you build them up and get parts for them and make the mechs stronger over time.

32. Which "they"? If you mean Rika Suzuki, that's correct. She did her best to evolve the detective-mystery formula back at Riverhill Soft back when there was more competition (from Data East's Jake Hunter series and some advanced mysteries from Thinking Rabbit, the studio which originally designed Sokoban). But the rest of Cing's staff hails from different developers, the vast majority of whom had no connection to that kind of classic late-'80s/early-'90s graphical command-menu adventure games.

Suzuki and Taisuke Kanasaki basically had to add mechanical innovations to get Nintendo's greenlight approval, so I bet Monolith Soft Kyoto would end up doing the same if they wanted to make a graphic adventure or VN using their art expertise.

33. ACL

ACL

Would be really nice if they pull through. Ideally that's a hint of actual plans. Unfortunately it looks like that a project will be completed late in Switch's life at best, a game during Switch's height really would increase chances of Honne working regularily on new projects.

34. Mandos

Mandos

And 60% of the studio were working on BOTW during XB2 as well. They did a good amount of outsourcing on artwork and designs

35. Crow Pudding

Crow Pudding

Give me that Disaster: Day of Crisis 2

36. Cinemikel

Cinemikel
    Banned Member

Yes! DO IT! I'd love to see what kind of new things they would make!

37. Kaitos

Kaitos

Baten Kaitos 3 kthnx

38. jred250

jred250

YES PLEASE

39. ReitStuff

ReitStuff

I believe both games were in development at the same time.

40. FiXalaS

FiXalaS

They can make a beautiful Visual Novel

41. RampagingSoul

RampagingSoul

I wouldn't mind Monolith Soft's Kyoto Studio working on their own games instead of just being a support studio.

42. I think by ''they'' Fiendcode is talking about Nintendo themselves in the case of Famicom Tantei Club, maybe together with Pax Softnica for Shin Onigashima (my personal dream was that Sakamoto would be willing to work with Cing to make a new FTC, but that will never happen now).

But really, if we are talking about Nintendo VN, they should probably get together with HAL and Monolith to produce a new Metal Slader Glory again. That game had decent story and characters, it can easily be modernized to tap into the same otaku market that something like XB2 did considering it was pretty otaku oriented in the first place.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

43. Enduin

Enduin

I concur.

A proper sequel to BK would practically be a whole new world anyway. Just give me that next gen visuals and continuation of that sublime BKO combat.

44. SageShinigami

SageShinigami

So a single studio is big enough to do two games at once? That's impressive.

45. ILikeFeet

ILikeFeet

cutting a lot of corners

I'd doubt it'd be a tradition VN anyway, given how 3D-focused the staff is. much like Another Code, it'd play more like a 3D Adventure game than anything (I find VN/adventure games/point & clicks an interesting comparison)

46. gordofredito

gordofredito

I hope Monolith as a whole (not just this small studio) makes new IPs. They are talented but seeing the massive quality drop from Xenoblade 1 to XCX to Xenoblade 2 has made me wonder if they know what to do with the IP. Let it rest for now

47. Ephonk

Ephonk

That's partly true, as in: the story etc was apperently written at the same time. But the technical part of the development seemed to start after they finished XBX

Another quote:

48. Instro

Instro

For what it's worth, their next game is being billed as a new IP.

49. Ishaan

Ishaan

A couple quick notes:
    • This sounds as though Monolith Kyoto is still a ways off from developing original games. Honne says that he would like to be prepared for that eventuality but it doesn't seem to be the case at present.
    • At present, Monolith Kyoto appears to mainly employ artists/design people, with few (or no) programmers
    • They note that employees moving between the Tokyo and Kyoto studios is a possibility, which might be a way of attracting talent to the Kyoto studio (with the promise of working with the "main studio" if you do good work)
    • Honne notes that he would like to employ more young people at the Tokyo studio
    • They talk about effective scheduling and overtime, and the idea of putting in overtime only when it's really needed
    • They point out that Monolith Soft is a place where there is free communication among peers (and management)

50. Heartskips

Heartskips

Problem about Metal Slader Glory is that the mech design is so amazing I kinda want an action game with it! lol Wouldn't complain about a new ADV game tho.