• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
OP
OP
Momo

Momo

Oct 25, 2017
Huh? I literally just checked the site 10 minutes ago because they posted an interview, but the number hasn't been updated for me...? Weird.

Regardless, that's great! It seems like they update the headcount every time Nintendo releases the quarterly financial update.

Oct 27, 2017
Monolith Soft has grown again by 9 more people for a total of 193 by January 2019

graph01.jpg

vs 184 back in November:

DuQnP6KWkAEZqXg.jpg

They've been growing at an enormous rate for a Nintendo studio. They've almost doubled their staff since June 2016 aka the height of Xenoblade 2's development with 109 employees. With them working on two ambitious projects concurrently and this massive employee increase, it seems XBC2 paid off. The future looks very bright
Glad to see them growing. I love the Xenoblade series, can't wait to see what they are cooking up next.

TongPoo

Jul 14, 2018
Monolith Soft has grown again by 9 more people for a total of 193 by January 2019

graph01.jpg

vs 184 back in November:

DuQnP6KWkAEZqXg.jpg

They've been growing at an enormous rate for a Nintendo studio. They've almost doubled their staff since June 2016 aka the height of Xenoblade 2's development with 109 employees. With them working on two ambitious projects concurrently and this massive employee increase, it seems XBC2 paid off. The future looks very bright
Notice the growth in female stuff, which is extra nice.

Dark Cloud

Banned
Oct 27, 2017

graph01.jpg

vs 184 back in November:

DuQnP6KWkAEZqXg.jpg

Weird. I don't see this on their website with updated numbers.

olobolger

Oct 31, 2017
Andalusia
I can see it and I'm on mobile. It's most probably that they just updated very recently and cache updates and such takes a time to propagate around the world.

foxuzamaki

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017

graph01.jpg

vs 184 back in November:

DuQnP6KWkAEZqXg.jpg

Yes, its a great time to be a monolifthsoft fan and it's also great to see a studio clearly benefiting from success

Dark Cloud

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
9 more people and the women actually grew a little in percentages. That's kind of cool I guess.

TheGreatLugia

Oct 25, 2017
It would be nice to have specific numbers on how many people are at the Tokyo studio and how many are at the Kyoto studio.

Bard

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Hopefully their next game is revealed soon, to be the Xeno X switch port we all want! And that medieval game too, I want to see the deal with that one.

ILikeFeet

DF Deet Master
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Hopefully their next game is revealed soon, to be the Xeno X switch port we all want! And that medieval game too, I want to see the deal with that one.
A lot of people doubt it, but I do think they can get the medieval action game out this FY. Especially if they started production in earnest before Zelda and Xenoblade 2 released

Bard

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
A lot of people doubt it, but I do think they can get the medieval action game out this FY. Especially if they started production in earnest before Zelda and Xenoblade 2 released
Yeah I was looking at the timeline of it, if it started in 2017, then maybe it could come out in early 2020 or late 2019 being super optimistic.

Deleted member 36622

User requested account closure
Banned
Dec 21, 2017
Yeah, I think it's possible too. Remember all the naysayers when Monolith announced Xeno 2 would release in 2017?

I was one of them

Yes but don't forget also what it meant, the game was amazing but with more months of polishing it could have been even better. (especially when it comes to performance in handheld mode) Takahashi confirmed they already did a better job with the engine on Torna.

I'm not saying that i'd have preferred a delay, i think it was crucial both for them and Nintendo to release Xeno 2 in 2017, the timing was perfect. Now they don't need to rush the development, they can take more time making sure the game is perfect at launch.

Though i'd not rule out the possibility of a teaser for one of the two projects maybe at E3.

OP
OP
Momo

Momo

Oct 25, 2017
People keep forgetting the foundation that was established with Xenoblade Chronicles X was what likely contributed to the quick development of Xenoblade Chronicles 2. Not to mention the core gameplay is mostly similar to previous entries. MS also rushed the development cycle as they (and Nintendo) wanted to have it ready within the first year of the Switch. Xenoblade Chronicles 2's development period lasted roughly 26 months.

As of now, the new IP has been in development somewhere between 18-26 months, and will have a development cycle of around 32-40 months by the end of the next FY. It should be ready for the fiscal year after the next one.

The point is that people shouldn't be using XC2's development cycle as a guideline for their new IP. It's being made by a different team with little to no foundation.

Procheno

Alt Account
Banned
Nov 14, 2018
New franchises, especially ones where the studio says it's a more radically different direction than usual for them, take much more time to make. New style of gameplay that needs time to be experimented, tested, scrapped, and polished, new concepts, new story structure, probable new artstyle, environments, etc. All of this takes a long time.

That's not including the fact that while yes they banged out XC2 in like 3.5 years, it seriously needed a few months of polish. Technically, dub localization wise, tweaking gameplay based on playtest feedback, it needed more time

I expect it in late 2020-2021
Then first production team's game in 2022
Then second production team again for Switch 2 in maybe 2024-2025.

The beauty of the two teams is more frequent releases from MS without having huge gaps of 4 years with nothing or needing them to rush and cut corners

OP
OP
Momo

Momo

Oct 25, 2017
Big thanks to Onix555 for keeping track of Monolith Soft's employee count and creating a chart. We may get an updated number fairly soon. It is likely over 200 employees as of March 2019. That being said, Japan is currently at the tail-end of Golden Week, so no potential update until Monday at the earliest.

iYna6cG.jpg

Onix555

Apr 23, 2019
UK
Monolith are unfortunately still closed on Monday. So itll be Tuesday hopefully.
Also welcome back Momo.

Onix555

Apr 23, 2019
UK
https://gonintendo.com/stories/332850-monolith-soft-now-over-200-employees-strong
https:///monolith-soft-has-over-200-employees-now/

Supposedly they already are at over 200.
Technically they should be (ignoring resignations), however there's no actual confirmation that's actually the case from Monolith themselves.
These articles are pretty much just the authors seeing an Era comment, and then pegging it as a press release. I mean, that's most Games Journalism anyway, but more-so here.

TheMoon

|OT|
Oct 25, 2017
Video Games
Technically they should be (ignoring resignations), however there's no actual confirmation that's actually the case from Monolith themselves.
These articles are pretty much just the authors seeing an Era comment, and then pegging it as a press release. I mean, that's most Games Journalism anyway, but more-so here.
Nintendosoup (a shitty news site that should not be cited for anything) is just google translating the Japanese post about the tweets from MLS from the new hire celebration event a month ago.

OP
OP
Momo

Momo

Oct 25, 2017
Monolith are unfortunately still closed on Monday. So itll be Tuesday hopefully.
Also welcome back Momo.

Thanks!

That's true, but then again, it'll still be Monday for some people (in the West) thanks to the magic of time zone differences. ;)

That article is based on an assumption. Monolith Soft recently tweeted about 8 new employees at their company meeting. This led people to assume that the employee count jumped over 200 from the last official count in January 2019. While it might be the case, it is possible that Monolith Soft lost a few employees in the same period of time.

Oct 26, 2017
Yeah I know Nintendo Soup is sketchy so that's why I said "supposedly". It was the only place saying so, so I wanted to see what folks thought of this and if it`s legit or not.

foxuzamaki

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Big thanks to Onix555 for keeping track of Monolith Soft's employee count and creating a chart. We may get an updated number fairly soon. It is likely over 200 employees as of March 2019. That being said, Japan is currently at the tail-end of Golden Week, so no potential update until Monday at the earliest.

iYna6cG.jpg
momo! And yes, with that many employees they could make as manyy games as platinum :p

Onix555

Apr 23, 2019
UK
momo! And yes, with that many employees they could make as many games as platinum :p

While that does sound like an attractive proposal, i'd rather they didn't murder their staff through the crunch that'd likely come with it.

Although we have no eyes inside Platinum, so it would be rude to accuse them of anything yet.

OP
OP
Momo

Momo

Oct 25, 2017
Staff number update time!

Monolith Soft now has 209 employees as of April 2019. This growth can most likely be attributed to the Zelda project announcement.

Some numbers for comparison:

Previous update: 193 employees as of January 2019 (+16 employees)
Employee count from nearly a year ago: 168 employees as of May 2018 (+41 employees)

karmitt

Oct 27, 2017
Staff number update time!

Monolith Soft now has 209 employees as of April 2019. Some numbers for comparison:

Previous update: 193 employees as of January 2019 (+16 employees)
Employee count from nearly a year ago: 168 employees as of May 2018 (+41 employees)

So good. Monolithsoft is king - anybody thinking we'll see something from them at E3?

delete12345

One Winged Slayer
Nov 17, 2017
Boston, MA

jonjonaug

Oct 25, 2017
Wait what

>began hiring for an upcoming project in The Legend of Zelda series

Is that a Breath of the Wild 2 stealth announcement then?

OP
OP
Momo

Momo

Oct 25, 2017
So good. Monolithsoft is king - anybody thinking we'll see something from them at E3?
Would love to see something from them at E3, but they've been present for the last couple E3s, so I'm not expecting anything from them. Maybe we'll get something in a Nintendo Direct in the latter half of the year.

ILikeFeet

DF Deet Master
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Wait what

>began hiring for an upcoming project in The Legend of Zelda series

Is that a Breath of the Wild 2 stealth announcement then?
The Tokyo team had a hand in both "console" Zeldas since their acquisition. It's not too surprising they'll have a major roll in the next game. Nintendo is also hiring for Zelda, so it's not a secret

Graph of Monolith Soft's updated employee count (April 2019)

Onix555

Apr 23, 2019
UK
Very good to see, although it took me a while to get it as I had to reset my Chrome Cache. I was expecting a larger boost then usual due to the 4 month wait, but 16 was beyond my expectations, very nice indeed.

It's funny, when I was recording these ages ago, the graph showed the level of growth slowing down and curving off; so my assumption was that Monolith were aiming to be 180-ish or so and hold it like that. However, these past few results have completely flipped that. Now they're hiring even faster then before. We live in exciting times indeed; if they just keep on growing, they will become a powerhouse in the Japanese Industry.

Ratio's have also improved, always good to see. Not many people see this, but underneath the employee numbers section, theres a ratio target for the year. They missed last years, however 2019's target has been set to 37.5%/62.5%. [boldmovecotton.gif]

Overall, very pleased.

LBFKoFW.jpg

TheGreatLugia

Oct 25, 2017
Very good to see, although it took me a while to get it as I had to reset my Chrome Cache. I was expecting a larger boost then usual due to the 4 month wait, but 16 was beyond my expectations, very nice indeed.

It's funny, when I was recording these ages ago, the graph showed the level of growth slowing down and curving off; so my assumption was that Monolith were aiming to be 180-ish or so and hold it like that. However, these past few results have completely flipped that. Now they're hiring even faster then before. We live in exciting times indeed; if they just keep on growing, they will become a powerhouse in the Japanese Industry.

Ratio's have also improved, always good to see. Not many people see this, but underneath the employee numbers section, theres a ratio target for the year. They missed last years, however 2019's target has been set to 37.5%/62.5%. [boldmovecotton.gif]

Overall, very pleased.

LBFKoFW.jpg
It seems like they've picked up a fair amount of people from the various recruitment drives starting back in August 2017. In the span of two years they've grown from 133 people on staff to 209 people.

Dany1899

Dec 23, 2017
I really hope there will be just at least a teaser for a game to be released in 2020. I am looking forward to playing their next game because I have absolutely faith in them after playing Xenoblade 2.

ILikeFeet

DF Deet Master
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I still think we'll see their medieval game before the year's over. releasing it before the FY is done, that's possible, if cutting it close.

Onix555

Apr 23, 2019
UK
It seems like they've picked up a fair amount of people from the various recruitment drives starting back in August 2017. In the span of two years they've grown from 133 people on staff to 209 people.

Yes, although they've been continually hiring since 2012 (minus 2015, but the WiiU can be blamed for that).
However there definitely seems to have been some sort of strategy shift starting in 2017, I wish I knew the cause and reason for why. I also wish I could see what they are making at this current time.

Speaking of which, in regards to the Medieval game; we still don't know if thats a Zelda game or not. However I DO think we will see Monolith at E3 or by years end. I don't know what itll be (Medieval, Zelda, Blade 3, etc) but I just have this good feeling. Nothing will come out this FY though, itll be Spring or Summer next year.

Last edited:

TheGreatLugia

Oct 25, 2017
Yes, although they've been continually hiring since 2012 (minus the X fuckup, but the WiiU can be blamed for that).
However there definitely seems to have been some sort of strategy shift starting in 2017, I wish I knew the cause and reason for why. I also wish I could see what they are making at this current time.

It's true that they've been continually hiring, but August 2017 seemed to be when major recruitment began for the Tokyo studio. We don't have an exact ratio of Tokyo staff to Kyoto staff. That being said, Takahashi said in a January/February 2018 interview that the Tokyo studio had 100 people.

I'd imagine a lot of the hires have been for Tokyo considering the job listings for the mass recruitments have been for the Tokyo studio. Also because Monolith has needed a couple of satellite studios in Tokyo recently.

Dark Cloud

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Yes, although they've been continually hiring since 2012 (minus the X fuckup, but the WiiU can be blamed for that).

Speaking of which, in regards to the Medieval game; we still don't know if thats a Zelda game or not. However I DO think we will see Monolith at E3 or by years end. I don't know what itll be (Medieval, Zelda, Blade 3, etc) but I just have this good feeling. Nothing will come out this FY though, itll be Spring or Summer next year.
Why would it be a Zelda game? There's nothing that points to it. And no this recruitment doesn't either. All it points to is them hiring for more people to help EPD. Nintendo will never have Monolith announce they're working solely on a 3D Zelda game or even show concept art years in advance.

ILikeFeet

DF Deet Master
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
the medieval game isn't Zelda

Onix555

Apr 23, 2019
UK
not sure what fuck-up you're even talking about because there was none?

My use of terminology was quite harsh and rude, but basically I meant that X didn't particularly do great sales wise and led to layoffs. I would however, fully blame that on the Wii U and not the game itself.

Why would it be a Zelda game? There's nothing that points to it. And no this recruitment doesn't either. All it points to is them hiring for more people to help EPD. Nintendo will never have Monolith announce they're working solely on a 3D Zelda game or even show concept art years in advance.

I never claimed they're working solely on a Zelda game. And my reasoning for suspecting it might be the Zelda game is just that it sort of lines up with the description. Eitherway theres no way to prove one way or the other; but the fact that Zelda is under an official Production team, and the Medieval ad isn't is pushing me to that conclusion.

For clarification; I would like it to be a separate game; that would be very exciting. I just dont think itll be one.

TheGreatLugia

Oct 25, 2017
My use of terminology was quite harsh and rude, but basically I meant that X didn't particularly do great sales wise and led to layoffs. I would however, fully blame that on the Wii U and not the game itself.
Is there any additional information supporting the layoffs claim aside from the staff numbers of 123 people in June 2014 and 109 people in July 2016? It's hard to tell exactly when staff left because of the two year gap in staff info. I assumed that some of the staff might have left the studio as XCX's production was winding down, but I guess we don't know for sure.

That being said, the studio did go down from 79 people right before XC1 released to 75 people a year later.

Onix555

Apr 23, 2019
UK
Is there any additional information supporting the layoffs claim aside from the staff numbers of 123 people in June 2014 and 109 people in July 2016? It's hard to tell exactly when staff left because of the two year gap in staff info. I assumed that some of the staff might have left the studio as XCX's production was winding down, but I guess we don't know for sure.

That being said, the studio did go down from 79 people right before XC1 released to 75 people a year later.

It's mostly analysis on my part based on the employment information over time. Considering that it occurred mainly over the hidden 2015 period when X released, and then the fact that X sold less then the 1st in regions we have data for; I concluded that it was X's sales that led to the upward trend in employment between 2011-2014 stopping. As well as that, its rarer for Japanese employees to leave their employment outside of tough times, as generally their positions are safer then their western counterparts.