• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Instro

Oct 25, 2017
It's pointless to speculate on the ebbs and flows of their staffing without knowing how they count contract employees. Also members of the team that worked on the XZone games left the studio, which would fall in the time period you guys are discussing.

Deleted member 56266

Account closed at user request
Banned
Apr 25, 2019
Fully expecting news from them at E3, guessing a teaser for a 2020 game. Unless their entire staff was working on Torna, which is unlikely.

TheGreatLugia

Oct 25, 2017
It's mostly analysis on my part based on the employment information over time. Considering that it occurred mainly over the hidden 2015 period when X released, and then the fact that X sold less then the 1st in regions we have data for; I concluded that it was X's sales that led to the upward trend in employment between 2011-2014 stopping. As well as that, its rarer for Japanese employees to leave their employment outside of tough times, as generally their positions are safer then their western counterparts.
I remember reading a claim that some Monolith Soft staff might have ended up moving to Nintendo EPD, so I'm also wondering if that could be a potential factor. I don't have a source, though, so don't take my word for it.

Nekki

Banned
Mar 19, 2019
I hope we get news from whatever their projects are at E3. Seriously Nintendo's golden pot is here with MS. I know they have a lot of other talented studios, but the amount of resources being poured on this particular studio makes me happy.

Mr.Fletcher

Nov 18, 2017
UK
It feels like Monolith Soft are on the cusp of becoming a big deal. Yes, fans have been behind the studio for years.

But their work on Switch, not just Xenoblade 2, has really elevated the profile of the studio among the hardcore gaming community.

The popularity of the console and appearing in the credits of BoTW and Splatoon (to name just two) has been great for the studio.

If their next game has the right look and is marketed appropriately, they might finally hit the mainstream in a big way...

I think Nintendo players will lap up a medieval, fantasy, third-person action game, with a strong story - so fingers crossed it all comes together.

Oct 25, 2017
Feels like Monolith Soft could become a big deal if they're given the time and push needed.
XCX is still the most impressive production Nintendo's put together, arguably more than BOTW despite not being super great (due to focusing on exploration too much over story/structure)
But they've made an amazing Wii game, and two halves of a great HD JRPG with X and 2.

Not sure if we'll see anything at e3, but likely next by next year's show.

nicolasacmf

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
Hoping we see something this E3, but won't be disappointed if we don't. They seem to have a lot on their plate, so I'm ok with them taking their time.

I also agree with the most recent posts regarding Monolith Soft being this close to making it big. They're already known for their incredibly high quality games, but I feel like with a little push and just the right game they could easily become the most talked-about studio at E3. They definitely have what it takes, and the Switch seems like the perfect place for it. All they need is a game that looks appealing and they'll definitely hit the big time.

Oct 26, 2017
Very good to see, although it took me a while to get it as I had to reset my Chrome Cache. I was expecting a larger boost then usual due to the 4 month wait, but 16 was beyond my expectations, very nice indeed.

It's funny, when I was recording these ages ago, the graph showed the level of growth slowing down and curving off; so my assumption was that Monolith were aiming to be 180-ish or so and hold it like that. However, these past few results have completely flipped that. Now they're hiring even faster then before. We live in exciting times indeed; if they just keep on growing, they will become a powerhouse in the Japanese Industry.

Ratio's have also improved, always good to see. Not many people see this, but underneath the employee numbers section, theres a ratio target for the year. They missed last years, however 2019's target has been set to 37.5%/62.5%. [boldmovecotton.gif]

Overall, very pleased.

LBFKoFW.jpg

BTW you need to recheck the male/female percentages. 1/19 is actually 74/26.

Use this! :) :

https://percentagecalculator.net/

Wombat_Lover

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Jan 20, 2019
I hope we get news from whatever their projects are at E3. Seriously Nintendo's golden pot is here with MS. I know they have a lot of other talented studios, but the amount of resources being poured on this particular studio makes me happy.

If only they gave the same respect with NST and give them a big project to make.

TheGreatLugia

Oct 25, 2017
Has it been confirmed if the Breath of the Wild sequel is the Zelda project Monolith Soft started recruiting for?

Roukira

Dec 1, 2018
France, Paris
I still think their Zelda project is not this game, and another Zelda 3D game. I really wanted to see their new IP or a Xenoblade 3/X2/X port announcement. I hope we get to see their projects during this year.

Onix555

Apr 23, 2019
UK
I still think their Zelda project is not this game, and another Zelda 3D game. I really wanted to see their new IP or a Xenoblade 3/X2/X port announcement. I hope we get to see their projects during this year.

It's too early for a new Xenoblade. New IP (assuming its not BOTW2) will probably be revealed in September or January. Although it could also be a 2021 game tbh if its a big departure from the norm.

Roukira

Dec 1, 2018
France, Paris
It's too early for a new Xenoblade. New IP (assuming its not BOTW2) will probably be revealed in September or January. Although it could also be a 2021 game tbh if its a big departure from the norm.
Yeah I actually didn't expect a new Xenoblade yet knowing they work on Zelda and their new IP. I was hoping for X port though. I hope we'll get to know whether it's a 2020 or 2021 title during this year.

Prof Bathtub

Apr 26, 2018
Since some Monolith staff rted the direct announcement, which they usually only do for directs related to the company, it's safe to assume it was about the Zelda trailer (or AC New Horizons.)

TheMoon

|OT|
Oct 25, 2017
Video Games
i think since monolith did the openworld grunt work for botw and this one seems open world as well the possibility is quite high
Yea that's why I said it's obviously this. This will remix BotW's world which they have co-designed and they will work on the remixed version. It's pretty straightforward. No reason to assume there's some mysterious extra Zelda game they are working on.

ILikeFeet

DF Deet Master
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
if there's a third zelda game (4th if you count Cadence), it's not going to be made by nintendo. otherwise you'd have to assume Grezzo is yet another Zelda game as well

OP
OP
Momo

Momo

Oct 25, 2017
I really wanted to see their new IP or a Xenoblade 3/X2/X port announcement. I hope we get to see their projects during this year.

It'll be a while before we see anything Xenoblade related (not counting ports, of course). Here is where I THINK they're currently at. Anything not linked is purely speculation.

Xenoblade Chronicles 2 came out in December 2017 (unsourced since it is common knowledge). The scenario/plot outline for Torna ~ The Golden Country was finalized by November 2017 at the latest, therefore it would have no direct impact on the pre-production of the new Xeno game. Here's why:

The interviewer asks how Takahashi comes up with the plot, and he says:

Takahashi: When it's still on paper, I say "there's a world like this, with characters like this," and that's all I've decided on. After that, I come up with a basic storyline and say "These are the kinds of things we're doing for this script," and that's what I tell my staff… After that, the planners, game designers and programmers group together and head to their desks to create a game flow. If there's a problem, we get feedback, fix the plot, tidy up the characters, and we get down to the nitty-gritty of the script once all of that game progression is set into stone.

Interviewer: And how long would you say it's taken at that point?

Takahashi: About eight to ten months. By that point, we know what we need to make and have the proper environment to do so, and then we start making all the assets, and we're at the 2.5~3 year mark.
^^^Source^^^

It is my belief that the new Xeno game entered the pre-production stage around January 2018, a month after the release of Xenoblade 2 and the finalization of the scenario for Torna. Takahashi likely started coming up with ideas for the next Xeno game. Using Takahashi's guidelines, the pre-production process takes about 8-10 months, which means it could've wrapped up anywhere from August through October 2018. Torna ~ The Golden Country came out in September 2018 (again, unsourced due to it being common knowledge). As of September 2018, in an interview with Nintendo Life, there were no "firm plans" for a sequel to the Xenoblade series. Although Takahashi seemingly contradicted himself when Monolith Soft posted a large-scale staff recruitment for the Xenoblade team a month later, he did say there were no "firm plans" at the time. Basically, the new Xenoblade project was likely recently approved by Nintendo by the time the interview was posted.

If we assume the project began in January 2018, it has been in production for 18 months already. 3 years of development time would land in December 2020. It's not clear if the debugging/polish stage is factored in Takahashi's 2.5 to 3 years development time. If not, I would think it would take up to an extra year.

TLDR;

November 2017: Torna scenario finalized (could've been finalized before November)
December 2017: Xenoblade 2 released
January 2018: New Xenoblade game enters pre-production stage (speculation)
September 2018: Torna ~ The Golden Country released; Takahashi said no "firm plans" for a Xenoblade sequel
September 2018: Nintendo approves Xenoblade project (speculation)
October 2018: Monolith Soft posts staff recruitment for Xenoblade team
December 2020: Potential release date, if debugging/polish stage is factored (speculation)
December 2021: Potential release date, if debugging/polish stage isn't factored (speculation)

Roukira

Dec 1, 2018
France, Paris
It'll be a while before we see anything Xenoblade related (not counting ports, of course). Here is where I THINK they're currently at. Anything not linked is purely speculation.

Xenoblade Chronicles 2 came out in December 2017 (unsourced since it is common knowledge). The scenario/plot outline for Torna ~ The Golden Country was finalized by November 2017 at the latest, therefore it would have no direct impact on the pre-production of the new Xeno game. Here's why:

^^^Source^^^

It is my belief that the new Xeno game entered the pre-production stage around January 2018, a month after the release of Xenoblade 2 and the finalization of the scenario for Torna. Takahashi likely started coming up with ideas for the next Xeno game. Using Takahashi's guidelines, the pre-production process takes about 8-10 months, which means it could've wrapped up anywhere from August through October 2018. Torna ~ The Golden Country came out in September 2018 (again, unsourced due to it being common knowledge). As of September 2018, in an interview with Nintendo Life, there were no "firm plans" for a sequel to the Xenoblade series. Although Takahashi seemingly contradicted himself when Monolith Soft posted a large-scale staff recruitment for the Xenoblade team a month later, he did say there were no "firm plans" at the time. Basically, the new Xenoblade project was likely recently approved by Nintendo by the time the interview was posted.

If we assume the project began in January 2018, it has been in production for 18 months already. 3 years of development time would land in December 2020. It's not clear if the debugging/polish stage is factored in Takahashi's 2.5 to 3 years development time. If not, I would think it would take up to an extra year.

TLDR;

November 2017: Torna scenario finalized (could've been finalized before November)
December 2017: Xenoblade 2 released
January 2018: New Xenoblade game enters pre-production stage (speculation)
September 2018: Torna ~ The Golden Country released; Takahashi said no "firm plans" for a Xenoblade sequel
September 2018: Nintendo approves Xenoblade project (speculation)
October 2018: Monolith Soft posts staff recruitment for Xenoblade team
December 2020: Potential release date, if debugging/polish stage is factored (speculation)
December 2021: Potential release date, if debugging/polish stage isn't factored (speculation)
Wow that's a big post ! I think what you said is likely. I'll stick to this timeline for now :)

Dark Cloud

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
It goes without saying they're helping development with this game. Many people kept saying they're working on a Zelda spin-off or fully developing Botw 2 instead of having a new IP.

HeRinger

Oct 28, 2017
I was kind of bummed they didn't announce a Xenoblade Chronicles and/or Xenoblade Chronicles X this E3. I guess I'll just get Torna to satiate my Monolith Soft fix. I never get expansions because they rarely feel like full fledge games to me, but I'll make an exception this time.

EAD Ninja

任天堂 の 忍者
Oct 27, 2017
if there's a third zelda game (4th if you count Cadence), it's not going to be made by nintendo. otherwise you'd have to assume Grezzo is yet another Zelda game as well

It's a continuation of the last 3D Zelda and 2D Zelda game.

BOTW2 (Just like BOTW)
EPD Production Group No. 3 / SRD / Monolith Soft / Externals

LA (Just like Triforce)
EPD Production Group No. 3 / SRD / Grezzo / Externals

Harpoon

Oct 27, 2017
Worth noting that Yuichiro Takeda, one of Xenoblade 2's writers, retweeted the BotW sequel news.

mockingbird

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
I was kind of bummed they didn't announce a Xenoblade Chronicles and/or Xenoblade Chronicles X this E3. I guess I'll just get Torna to satiate my Monolith Soft fix. I never get expansions because they rarely feel like full fledge games to me, but I'll make an exception this time.
It's good. If you enjoyed 2 you'll really appreciate it.

Deleted member 6730

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
By whom? oO Utter nonsense^^
The concept art for their fantasy project had triforces and the Hylia statue along with a woman who kind of looked like Zelda, but it looked nothing like BoTW. Again, it was just an assumption, and not a guaruntee that they were working on something like that but it wasn't pulled out of thin air.

TheMoon

|OT|
Oct 25, 2017
Video Games
The concept art for their fantasy project had triforces and the Hylia statue along with a woman who kind of looked like Zelda, but it looked nothing like BoTW. Again, it was just an assumption, and not a guaruntee that they were working on something like that but it wasn't pulled out of thin air.
I know about the concept art. People love to read random things into things that aren't what they want them to be^^ ...especially with MLSI concept art lol (Honne's 3DS game when lololololololol)