• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

RPGamer

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I see a lot of people expecting Xenoblade 3. Kojima/Takahashi actually hinted that they want to take a different approach this time around. My guess is either a sequel to Xenoblade X or a new Xenoblade universe.

I did say they could be making a new Xenoblade universe, which could be any sort of setting.

Regarding the other part, XC2 is pretty different from XCX in terms of tones, setting, plot and world structure. I don't understand what you mean by it not being different enough?

A new Xenoblade universe could still be called Xenoblade 3. I expect a Xenoblade 3 that has nothing or not much to do with Xeno 1/Xeno 2. The games don't have to have direct connections imo and the next Xenoblade could have a totally different setting and still be called Xenoblade 3 (he said he wanted to go forward with the numbering at some point). Of course they could make a Xenoblade X 2, but with the storydriven Xenoblade 2 being the bigger success i would think they will go that way again, but perhaps with a bigger open world. In the end we know nothing and have to wait lol.

Oct 27, 2017
Peru
A new Xenoblade universe could still be called Xenoblade 3. I expect a Xenoblade 3 that has nothing or not much to do with Xeno 1/Xeno 2. The games don't have to have direct connections imo and the next Xenoblade could have a totally different setting and still be called Xenoblade 3 (he said he wanted to go forward with the numbering at some point). Of course they could make a Xenoblade X 2, but with the storydriven Xenoblade 2 being the bigger success i would think they will go that way again, but perhaps with a bigger open world. In the end we know nothing and have to wait lol.
There's a reason why XC2 was called "XC2". Takahashi initially said that both XC1 and XC2 didn't have any connection whatsoever aside from sharing a similar direction but after the game released we learned that there was a bigger meaning behind the title.

I'm sure XC3 will have a similar connection.

ACL

Nov 18, 2017
Comparisons between Nintendo and Namco from almost 20 years ago are a bit weird. We are talking about a completely different landscape with higher budgets and longer development times. Nowadays most publishers are consolidating on their strongest IPs, the Namco side of BandaiNamco is no exception in this regard, Code Vein comes to mind, besides Anime licenses, but that one has been announced years ago and still one of the few that comes to mind.

I would like to see that the speculations about a new IP besides a new Xenoblade to be true, but I also understand that it's important to strengthen the Xeno brand. Considering that the games take 3-4 years to make. Especially if it's more akin to how Final Fantasy works in this regard. Soma Bringer for example is a different IP, but it wouldn't have been out of place if it was retroactively integrated into the Xenoblade IP.

EAD Ninja

任天堂 の 忍者
Oct 27, 2017
Honestly, if Takahashi wants to develop 3-4 IPs at a time, then being attached for a first-party publisher is not the way to go. But the truth is, they also would have probably shut down working for random third-party publishers and not exactly bringing in sufficient returns. Monolith did get a swing at handling several games for Nintendo during the Wii / DS era - and the returns weren't there. Now imagine that in today's landscape of increasing development costs and studios shutting down every other month.

Echizen

Oct 27, 2017

There's no reason that a Xenoblade Chronicles X sequel couldn't be story-driven though. From what we know, the original vision for Xenoblade Chronicles X was just that (or something closer to that), and the story ended up the way it did in the end because of some hard decisions they had to make.

ACL

Nov 18, 2017
Honestly, if Takahashi wants to develop 3-4 IPs at a time, then being attached for a first-party publisher is not the way to go. But the truth is, they also would have probably shut down working for random third-party publishers and not exactly bringing in sufficient returns. Monolith did get a swing at handling several games for Nintendo during the Wii / DS era - and the returns weren't there. Now imagine that in today's landscape of increasing development costs and studios shutting down every other month.

The question is, why were they even let go in the first place... in past interviews he even admitted that their relationship with Namcos upper management got worse when the former president left his position and that it got harder to pitch their ideas. Xenosaga sold well but none of their other projects under Namco reached similar sales.

While I would like to see Monolithsoft as a whole working on their own original projects, their contributional work on Nintendo games like Animal Crossing, Splatoon and Zelda is a major reason that allowed their notable growth in the past few years. Unlike Genius Sonority... a studio whose ambitions seemingly collapsed after the Pokémon GameCube games and Dragon Quest Swords.

Considering Monolithsoft were also looking to hire people for their (assistant) work on the next Zelda game, it would be interesting to see Monolithsoft get the chance to develop their own Zelda in the future... It's unlikely but a scenario where EPD and Monolithsoft each develop a Zelda game independantly would lead to more than one flagship Zelda game per generation and also solidify Monolithsofts financial situation.

RPGamer

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
There's no reason that a Xenoblade Chronicles X sequel couldn't be story-driven though. From what we know, the original vision for Xenoblade Chronicles X was just that (or something closer to that), and the story ended up the way it did in the end because of some hard decisions they had to make.

it could be, but it could also be hindered by the sales of the first game (X). I have nothing against X but i think it's more likely we see something new. Perhaps if they port X to Switch and people are crazy about it.

Momo

Oct 25, 2017
More translation of the article by Nintendo Everything

nintendoeverything.com

Monolith Soft boss unsure about dabbling with other genres outside of RPGs

You may recall an interview conducted by Japanese outlet 4Gamer earlier this year with Monolith Soft boss Tetsuya Takahashi and Bandai Namco’s Katsuhiro Harada. It was here we learned that Xenoblade Chronicles 2 has sold 1.73 million copies as of March 2019. That same interview also had some...

Everywhere

Banned
Jun 12, 2019
No more Disaster, I guess.

To be honest, it was charming but not great, other studious would have done a better job.

Wander_

Banned
Feb 26, 2018

nintendoeverything.com

You may recall an interview conducted by Japanese outlet 4Gamer earlier this year with Monolith Soft boss Tetsuya Takahashi and Bandai Namco’s Katsuhiro Harada. It was here we learned that Xenoblade Chronicles 2 has sold 1.73 million copies as of March 2019. That same interview also had some...

Lol at the comments on that article.

foxuzamaki

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017

nintendoeverything.com

Ended up reading all of it, they just go into loving Nintendo mode for what felt like 5 mins of interview time lol

Arthoneceron

Oct 27, 2017
Minas Gerais, Brazil
I just hope that Takahashi realize that Xenoblade is the most "Alien game" inside Nintendo and he actually can change structures of narrative and gameplay without being too off of his usual works.

Also it seems that's the biggest studio on Nintendo which has a free-pass on doing whatever they want, if what they have is good enough to be sold. Being also a support studio also help them to evolve their mindset over level design, I think, and I hope that soon we'll be able to see more meaningful stuff following that direction.