• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

CoolestSpot

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Currently snowed in and watching these films back to back. They're pretty similar in a lot of ways (tone, political settings, etc.)

Sorry for short op. I'm a bit drozzy from sickness and blood loss, but still wanted to started to set up this thread.

Transistor

Hollowly Brittle
Administrator
Oct 25, 2017
Washington, D.C.
I love Mononoke. Absolutely love it. However, Nausicaa just seems more special to me for some reason. It's probably nostalgia though, since I saw it first.

Mona

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
gotta go Mononoke i think

im currently reading through the Nausicaa manga tho

crimsonECHIDNA

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 25, 2017
Florida
Honestly Nausicaa, at least the film specifically, feels like the rough draft or proto of what Mononoke would become. I like Mononoke way more, but I appreciate Nausicaa just the same.

OP
OP
CoolestSpot

CoolestSpot

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Honestly Nausicaa, at least the film specifically, feels like the rough draft or proto of what Mononoke would become. I like Mononoke way more, but I appreciate Nausicaa just the same.
It definitely feels like a prototype for his next work, which is strange cause other works of his tend to feel pretty distinct from one to the next.

JMC

Oct 27, 2017
I go with Nausicaa. I saw Mononoke first, but Nausicaa ticks my box of "epic" better and the titular heroine is beautiful in how unashamedly she protects life and peace through her actions. It is one of the most beautiful pacifist films that drives it's point home straight and good.

Flaurehn

Oct 25, 2017
Mexico City
The answer is probably Mononoke but my heart belongs to Nausicaa.

I am in this boat. Mononoke is Miyazaki's years of experience giving shape to a story with the same sensibilites as Nausicaa. But Nausicää is to me the better story and has the better art in all of his works. The manga is spectacular and one of the best ever

Futureman

Oct 26, 2017
I don't have a Blu Ray or DVD player and it doesn't seem like many (or any?) Ghibli films are on streaming (or even rentable). I've seen a lot of Ghibli films in the past but want to see more and revisit others. I guess I should just buy Blu Ray player?

Excuse me

Oct 30, 2017
Yeah, I find Mononoke's world much more interesting with all your spirits and stuff. So it's a better film. But Nausicaa manga really blew me away, such deep work and like always with Ghibli work, nothing is black and white (well, except for the art).

wbloop

Oct 26, 2017
Germany
I consider Mononoke to be my favorite movie of all time, so the choice would be easy for me. Nausicaa is still a great movie, tho.

Chojin

Oct 26, 2017
Nausicaa for me. You never forget your first. Even if it was Warriors of the Wind.

LazyLain

Jan 17, 2019
I probably need to rewatch Nausicaa as I've only seen it once, but Princess Mononoke for now. It's my favorite Miyazaki film.

skeezx

Oct 27, 2017
the nausicaa movie like most (if not all) manga adaptations is an abbreviated hodgepodge of stuff. doesn't even come close to mononoke

Shoeless

Oct 27, 2017
Mononoke is the more nuanced, sophisticated film, but Nausicaa just has this sense of ambition and vision to it, like the staff was finally able to make a bigger budget animated feature THEIR way, instead of what they used to be like, getting work farmed out to them for things like The Last Unicorn, which I still loved. Mononoke is definitely the more assured film, but Nausicaa has that unbridled sense of "OH MY GOD, WE'RE REALLY DOING THIS, WE'RE MAKING A MOVIE!"

Dice

Oct 25, 2017
Canada
Mononoke for drama and polish

Nausicaa for being wonderful and weird. Plus Sir Patrick Stewart raises it a full letter grade.

Sgt. Demblant

Self-requested ban
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
France
I saw Mononoke first so I always considered it to be Miyazaki's greatest masterpiece and Nausicaa looked to me like an excellent but flawed first draft. And yet, over the years, I have grown more fond of Nausicaa. The soundtrack, the characters, the imagery... Maybe the final result isn't quite as perfectly executed as Mononoke but to me it has the raw energy of youth that later (post Totoro) evolved into cold and precise mastery. Not sure if that makes any sense but that's how I feel.

Still haven't read the manga though. This is a good reminder that I need to give it another shot.

Pau

Self-Appointed Godmother of Bruce Wayne's Children
Oct 25, 2017
I don't know if I can choose.

Princess Mononoke offers a more naunced, updated thesis than Nausicaa. Miyazaki has a great quote where he explains it, but I've never managed to find it again. :(

But Nausicaa's weird science fiction/fantasy mix is my favorite type of setting.

Thankfully, we have both movies. <3

Flaurehn

Oct 25, 2017
Mexico City
I just remembered Neil Gaiman adapted the Mononoke's script to english, and again I started daydreaming about a Sandman adaptation by Ghibli :(

Landford

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Nausicaa. You can feel its influence in aesthetics to this day. Such a masterpiece.

Huey

Oct 27, 2017
Definitely prefer nausicaa, but it's impossible for me to tease out how much that has to do with how much panzer dragoon was influenced by it. Mononoke is amazing but the more times I watch it, it can become a bit ponderous

Deleted member 2317

User-requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Mononoke is to anime what Nausicaä is to manga.
tenor.gif

Deleted member 18021

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Gonna echo others and say, film-wise, Mononoke wins out. But Nausicaa's manga is a goddamn masterpiece.
Not going to tell you to spend the money on the hardcover Nausicaa box set, because it is expensive, but it's also totally worth it, just saying.

Best Ghibli is Whisper of the Heart, tho.