• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Kazer

Oct 27, 2017
Nice! Been meaning to buy this so I'll grab it once the sale hits Steam.

Oct 29, 2017
This game is probably my favorite Metroidvania. The emphasis on Zelda styled puzzle solving combined with the fun transformations and amazing variety from area to area really made it special. I can't wait for more.

Hexer

Oct 30, 2017
Yes! Been waiting for this one to go on sale. I'll be picking it up whenever the Xbox store gets its sale! :D

GasProblem

Prophet of Truth
Nov 18, 2017
Bought it :) Been eyeing it for a while. Perfect for the holidays. Just good vibes.

napkins

Nov 18, 2017
I really enjoyed this game up until the volcano. The block puzzles annoyed me greatly. And then the new enemies after seemed to take much more damage to defeat. I eventually stopped at the mansion. Maybe I'll go back to it.

Look! The Pie!

Chicken Chaser
Oct 27, 2017
Fantastic game. I'd recommend it to anyone who likes Metroidvanias, platformers, puzzles or FUN.

Neo-Saiyan

Oct 27, 2017
Birmingham, UK
DO NOT SLEEP ON THIS GUYS!!

This is my fave game of the gen, I've already triple dipped on the PS4, PC and Switch version, paid full price for them with no ragrets!!

I'd get the Xbox One version as well if I had an Xbox One! 🤦‍♂️🤦‍♂️

Cheddahz

Oct 25, 2017
I made the mistake of playing the demo on my Switch and now I'm waiting for the discount to come

Opa-Opa

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 16, 2018
Well, bought.

Perfect price to me. Can't wait!

NinjaScooter

Oct 25, 2017
Well worth it if you like Wonder Boy games (but if you do you probably already have it) or classic style metroidvanias in general. There's some frustrating areas of filler, but overall it's a great package that packs a lot of charm and content.

So this or Wonder Boy: Dragon's Trap? They look so similar to me...

Honestly they are somewhat similar but both worth checking out. Dragon's Trap is a straight up port of a Master System game, so you see a little more of the quirks and mechanics that come with old school game design, but overall I found it a little more enjoyable/focused than Monster Boy. If anything it really made me appreciate just how forward thinking a lot of the game design decisions of a 30 year old game were because of how much of it was carried over into Monster Boy. Monster Boy is a modern pseudo sequel/spiritual successor to Dragon's Trap, and I think you will fully appreciate a lot of the little touches and cool call backs if you play Dragon's Trap first.

Atolm

Oct 25, 2017
So this or Wonder Boy: Dragon's Trap? They look so similar to me...

They're very different games. Dragon's Trap is a completely faithful remake of the Master System game, to the point that you can switch graphics on the fly like in the Halo 1/2 Anniversary.

Monster Boy is a Metroidvania with platforming and puzzles. It's one of the best games of 2018.

alstrike

Banned
Aug 27, 2018
Honestly they are somewhat similar but both worth checking out. Dragon's Trap is a straight up port of a Master System game, so you see a little more of the quirks and mechanics that come with old school game design, but overall I found it a little more enjoyable/focused than Monster Boy. If anything it really made me appreciate just how forward thinking a lot of the game design decisions of a 30 year old game were because of how much of it was carried over into Monster Boy. Monster Boy is a modern pseudo sequel/spiritual successor to Dragon's Trap, and I think you will fully appreciate a lot of the little touches and cool call backs if you play Dragon's Trap first.

They're very different games. Dragon's Trap is a completely faithful remake of the Master System game, to the point that you can switch graphics on the fly like in the Halo 1/2 Anniversary.

Monster Boy is a Metroidvania with platforming and puzzles. It's one of the best games of 2018.

Thank you guys, I guess I could always get both as they are on sale on the EU Store (7.99 and 19.99 respectively). I remember the Monster Land/Lair arcades back in the day (I never had a Master System).

Last edited:

kikuchiyo

Nov 9, 2017

"Some of you asked for more information about the timings of the #MonsterBoyGame anniversary sale. Here we go: #NintendoSwitch EU starting Dec.4, USA/Japan starting Dec.5; #Steam #GOG starting Dec.4, #XboxOne starting Dec.10"

So not quite yet for PC, Switch, and Xbox.

Thanks for the update. Saw the original post earlier in the day, and have been reloading the eShop page every few hours for the sale price.

carlosrox

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Vancouver BC
Holy fuuuuuuck I was THIS close to picking this up over the weekend!

Mario Maker 2 update, Star Ocean, Alien Isolation, and now Monster Boy!

Nintendo really wants to spoil me on my Birthday don't they?

Jegriva

Banned
Sep 23, 2019
I am still debating with myself if Xbox (achievements, better scaling to the 4ktv, future-proof library, not portable) or Switch (portable, library with an unknown future, the fucking thing overscans 1080p on my Q70R).

Bushido

Senior Game Designer
Verified
Feb 6, 2018
It's been 84 years...had this on my eShop wishlist since the day it got released, finally snatched it. On PS4 though, trophies tend to give Metroidvanias more mileage.

Knuf

Oct 28, 2017
Still salty they chose to not release a physical version here in Europe, but 20€ seems about the right price to get the inferior digital version.
PS4 or Switch, though? Does anyone have a comparison handy of the differences between the two?

Buggy Loop

Oct 27, 2017
Fucking finally, will buy on switch. Loved the demo, i know its a good metroidvania game, highly praised. Just not at 50 fucking dollars. When you have Hollow Knight offering so much content and quality for 15$, it's hard to swallow Monster boy's price.

MasterLeePhD

Oct 28, 2017
Any idea when this will be discounted on Xbox? I thought it would have been on sale today as xbox has its sales on a Tuesday.

tiesto

Oct 27, 2017
Long Island, NY
Great game, if a bit too dense with puzzles in some parts. Platinumed it and think it's a worthy successor to the classic Wonder Boy/Monster World games.