• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Red Liquorice

Oct 27, 2017
UK
I don't suppose anyone knows how long the sale lasts? Partner getting a Switch to open on Xmas so probably won't want to buy until the day.

ZSJ

Alt-Account
Banned
Jul 21, 2019
Heard good things, I'm in. This game is perfect for the PC.

Oct 29, 2017
So this or Wonder Boy: Dragon's Trap? They look so similar to me...
Dragon's Trap is like a messy, brief, beautiful blueprint of what Monster Boy could be. Monster Boy is the idea fleshed out and polished to perfection. Dragon's Trap is short and fairly basic, although it was pretty great for its time. Monster Boy is one of the most substantial Metroidvanias I have played. Both are colorful, fun, and constantly joyful, yet often challenging. Monster Boy is full of references to Dragon's Trap, so you do get more out of playing Dragon's Trap first.

Deleted member 12790

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Everybody should buy this game. One of the best games this gen, and one of the very best games in a very long running series that has been consistently great.

Deleted member 12790

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
They're very different games. Dragon's Trap is a completely faithful remake of the Master System game, to the point that you can switch graphics on the fly like in the Halo 1/2 Anniversary.

Monster Boy is a Metroidvania with platforming and puzzles. It's one of the best games of 2018.

The dragon's trap remake actually isn't completely faithful to the original, they dropped the Charm Point mechanic in the remake.

Most would probably consider that a good omission, though.

Tigerfog

Oct 28, 2017
Montreal
One of my favorite games of this year and I'm a very picky player for platformers.
The artstyle, the music, the rock solid gameplay... there is so much to love about this game.

Dezzy

Oct 25, 2017
USA
This game was so much better than I ever thought it would be. Buy it people, it's excellent.

Firebrand

Oct 25, 2017
I didn't like it quite as much as Dragon's Trap and WB in Monster World, but it's still a really good time for the most part and the music is amazing with contributions by big names like Yuzo Koshiro and Michiru Yamane.

It's also a surprisingly long game, so don't worry about value.

Deleted member 12790

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I didn't like it quite as much as Dragon's Trap and WB in Monster World, but it's still a really good time for the most part and the music is amazing with contributions by big names like Yuzo Koshiro and Michiru Yamane.

It's also a surprisingly long game, so don't worry about value.

There are some incredible remixes of Wonder Boy tunes in this game. That said, I think The Dragon's Trap has the better OST overall. They took a single castle theme from Wonder Boy and remixed it like 6 times and each time kept getting better and better.

plus this:

Nabbit

Oct 25, 2017
Anyone know if progress from the demo carries over to the full game?

I don't suppose anyone knows how long the sale lasts? Partner getting a Switch to open on Xmas so probably won't want to buy until the day.

Most sales are about a week or two. We should know once it begins how long it will be. Hopefully the timing will work out for Xmas. Maybe you could open the Switch in advance, load it with a game or games, and put it back in the box so it's all set for your partner? That way you could get the discount even if the sale ends early.

Red Liquorice

Oct 27, 2017
UK
Most sales are about a week or two. We should know once it begins how long it will be. Hopefully the timing will work out for Xmas. Maybe you could open the Switch in advance, load it with a game or games, and put it back in the box so it's all set for your partner? That way you could get the discount even if the sale ends early.
Maybe, that's a bit of a bother but he has shown interest in the game previously, would be nice to get it cheap. Thanks for the reply.

Deleted member 12790

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Huh, hadn't heard of this before, but this thread has convinced me to check it out
Read this

www.resetera.com

Wonder Boy -- What is the secret of your power??

First of all, some music for this post, I encourage you to read this topic while playing this song: Monster Boy just came out and is one of the very best games this year, but the casual fan might not know that Monster Boy is the 7th game in one of the longest running gaming series out there...

One of the greatest game series ever

JTyrmi

Oct 27, 2017
Finland
Will buy the Switch version for sure. Tried the demo and really liked it, despite the demo being a bit short and not really showing all that much. But it still offered a decent challenge and apparently the game is long, so I'm all for it.

Virtua Sanus

Nov 24, 2017
Brilliant game. More people need to play it.

The devs spent extra time to really make this PC version special. It even has ultrawide support, which is intensely rare for games like this.

Weiss

User requested ban
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I really wanted to like this game but the sequence where you transform into a pig was godawful. It must improve after that right?

Deleted member 4970

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Bought! Always wanted this game ever since I watched Dark1x talk about it briefly in a video!

Gonna see how it looks at 4K and on an OLED! Amazing that it has ultrawide support too!

Gibordep

Nov 1, 2017
Bought it, with a extra 30% from a code that Sony "send" (it was hidden).
Final price 13,99€

Agalloch

Oct 30, 2017
Guys, I own the physical edition since launch, among the best games of the year and one of the top Metroidvania ever, spectacular, long for its genre, and perfect performance on Switch, 1080 native and 60 fps, buy absolutely.

Jazzem

Feb 2, 2018
There are some incredible remixes of Wonder Boy tunes in this game. That said, I think The Dragon's Trap has the better OST overall. They took a single castle theme from Wonder Boy and remixed it like 6 times and each time kept getting better and better.

plus this:

Ahhh forgot how good these were!

Love that they included short videos of the various performers in the game too

Last edited:

Slowbro

Oct 27, 2017
It's in the OP, December 5th for US. I don't know what time sales get updated on the eShop.

Thanks! I somehow managed to miss it in the OP (that's what I get for commenting before I've had my morning coffee).

Looks like it's live now in the US sShop. Will definitely be picking this up with spare coins.

Oct 25, 2017
Very excited to try this out. Big fan of hollow knight, so I'm curious how this compares.
I think it's every bit as good, though it's very different in style. Hollow Knight is a very slow, drawn out burn which made me feel the way I feel when playing Souls games. Monster Boy is densely packed with puzzles (and rewards) and interesting mechanics, much faster paced than Hollow Knight. In that way I'd say it's more "fun" than Hollow Knight. It's not a short game, either, by any means, so at 15 dollars it's even comparable to HK's value proposition.

Nabbit

Oct 25, 2017
Anyone have an opinion on picking it up on Xbox vs. Switch? Is the game comfier with Joy-Cons or the Xbox One controller? Are the graphics much better on Xbox?