• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Who is cuter?

• Pepelogoo

• Kirby

• Jigglypuff

• Kirby sucks

Results are only viewable after voting.
Oct 30, 2017
Just finished this on Switch and it really exceeded my expectations. The production quality of the art and audio was awesome. Gameplay was really fun, though a couple boss mechanics were a bit obtuse. I only had about 75% completion, which I'm satisfied with. Good game. Gets my recommendation to anybody who likes this these sorts of games or just wants a pretty challenging action platformer

Thomas Kern

Executive Producer at FDG Entertainment
Verified
Nov 7, 2017
Germany
This game is cool but not GOTY quality for me like a lot of others feel. Areas like the racing cloud section and the spear throwing penguins section take this game down a notch or two for me. I don't mind hard, but when a game gets cheap I loose interest.
Some tips: Penguins have a slight fire vulnerability and you can grab their shield and spit it back towards them with the frog. You can also reflect the spears with your own shield.

shadowman16

Oct 25, 2017
Some tips: Penguins have a slight fire vulnerability and you can grab their shield and spit it back towards them with the frog. You can also reflect the spears with your own shield.
I had no idea you could just use the frog on the penguins. I just used the ice sword (upgraded) and attacked them from afar to hit them with projectiles. Worked like a charm 100% of the time.

Anyway, finished the game 100% at 18 hours. Loved it, only minor issue I had at the end (other than the final boss playing @ 30FPS) was the final cutscene not playing so my game essentially hung so I needed to refight the boss again (good thing its so damn fun then!).
Definitely one of my favourite digital titles of the year, I remember being so hyped for this game back when it wasn't even Monster Boy, certainly worth the wait!

krg

Oct 27, 2017
Guys, is there any difference in performance/graphics between PS4 and Switch?

I might buy it today, so it's important to know before I eventually pull the trigger.

OP
OP
Mega Man Zero

Mega Man Zero

Oct 27, 2017
Guys, is there any difference in performance/graphics between PS4 and Switch?

I might buy it today, so it's important to know before I eventually pull the trigger.

I haven't played both, but I played the Switch version, and it's 1080p and the framerate is always 60. There is about 1 or 2 seconds of loading when switching out some pieces of gear, like boots and tunics, that I don't know if it's in the PS4 version.

Oct 27, 2017
Who are these guys? I was looking up game atelier and I didn't see much. This game feels like it was created by industry veterans. It's fantastic, almost shockingly so.

shadowman16

Oct 25, 2017
I haven't played both, but I played the Switch version, and it's 1080p and the framerate is always 60. There is about 1 or 2 seconds of loading when switching out some pieces of gear, like boots and tunics, that I don't know if it's in the PS4 version.
I played handheld 100% of the time on Switch and its almost a perfect 60FPS all the time. Just the final boss drops to 30FPS for the entire second phase (I know I'm not the only one here that had the issue).

Matesamo

Nov 1, 2017
Rhode Island
This game is perfect to play while laying in bed or stretched out on the couch. I'm getting caught up on Young Justice while enjoying the game on the Switch.

Tainted

Oct 25, 2017
Australia
Anyway, finished the game 100% at 18 hours.

Damn.....that is quick. I must be just old/slow at these kinds of games then. I just finished my 2nd playthrough....comparatively it took me around 55hrs on my 1st to 100% everything and on my 2nd run 19.5hrs @ 76.9% completion

Obviously on my 2nd, I didnt get stuck like I did on the 1st as I knew the puzzle solutions and I was better at the platforming. It just boggles my mind that you completed your 1st playthrough quicker than my 2nd and 100% completion to boot....

You must have used guides surely ?

No Depth

Oct 27, 2017

Never knew you could eat shields myself. I just used the lion charge on the penguins which cleared them pretty easily. Waiting for the shield guys to either have their backs to me or about to slash which gives a window of opportunity.

Reminds me of one nitpick is the money grind I did to get the cash for golden equipment. Penguin bridge was a quick way to save up, but was not a fan of running through that gauntlet for money bags on kills and respawning the lot over and over. Didn't take long, but despite being so thorough and getting 100%, I'm not sure if i was the only one that had to grind money near the end? Just felt like the game didn't hand me enough cash while naturally exploring, so suddenly I had this massive cash hurdle to overcome after getting the golden parts...

Apr 19, 2018
Sorry if it's been asked and answered before, but: during boss battles, what constitutes Zeke coming in with the additional heart health aids? I've noted that he comes after my second attempt at any given boss fight, but I feel it makes the fights a bit TOO easy.

I guess I could always avoid acquiring the hearts, but is there any way to turn off this handicap?

OP
OP
Mega Man Zero

Mega Man Zero

Oct 27, 2017
Sorry if it's been asked and answered before, but: during boss battles, what constitutes Zeke coming in with the additional heart health aids? I've noted that he comes after my second attempt at any given boss fight, but I feel it makes the fights a bit TOO easy.

I guess I could always avoid acquiring the hearts, but is there any way to turn off this handicap?

You can reset the game and it'll go away.

Psxphile

Oct 27, 2017

Didn't even know that was a thing.

It's Mickey in KH2 all over again!

MouldyK

Prophet of Truth
Banned
Nov 1, 2017
Geez! I was stuck in the volcano for like 1 hour and 20 deaths wondering how to get past an area when I remembered you can jump and Lion-Dash into blocks to move them!

Radarscope1

Oct 29, 2017
Got the SN30 Pro for Xmas. Do you all recommend playing this game with a classic controller of this type? Really want to dig into this after I finally beat BotW....

Fuzzy

Completely non-threatening
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Toronto
My favourite thing to do is hold fire breath before transitioning to a new screen then let go as the transition happens so fire breath stays activated without the need to hold the button. You can take out all enemies everywhere other than in the volcano without any problem.

Jinfash

Oct 27, 2017
I'm stuck in one area in the Haunted Manor: In the basement room with the mud pit, there's a snake hole on the east end of the room, but it's blocked on the other side. I can't seem to figure out how to get in, and ultimately open the blue chest on the right, seen while going after the water pump haunting part.

dock

Game Designer
Verified
Nov 5, 2017
I'm stuck in one area in the Haunted Manor: In the basement room with the mud pit, there's a snake hole on the east end of the room, but it's blocked on the other side. I can't seem to figure out how to get in, and ultimately open the blue chest on the right, seen while going after the water pump haunting part.
The access hole is in a room far above this one. It's a very bad piece of design. You can then unblock the tunnel you speak of from the other side.

dock

Game Designer
Verified
Nov 5, 2017
Who are these guys? I was looking up game atelier and I didn't see much. This game feels like it was created by industry veterans. It's fantastic, almost shockingly so.
So weird that this game started out as a failed Kickstarter for a sequel to another game. I honestly thought it would be a pale hack job, but it's easily one of my top five games this year.

Fuzzy

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Toronto
The access hole is in a room far above this one. It's a very bad piece of design. You can then unblock the tunnel you speak of from the other side.
I wouldn't call it bad design. It rewards people that pay attention ("hey, why is there a third snake hole on the screen") and those that recognize that the exit of a snake hole doesn't have to be on the same screen as the entrance (it happens earlier in the game in the volcano as well as within the manor itself).

Neo-Saiyan

Oct 27, 2017
Birmingham, UK
Reminds me of one nitpick is the money grind I did to get the cash for golden equipment. Penguin bridge was a quick way to save up, but was not a fan of running through that gauntlet for money bags on kills and respawning the lot over and over. Didn't take long, but despite being so thorough and getting 100%, I'm not sure if i was the only one that had to grind money near the end? Just felt like the game didn't hand me enough cash while naturally exploring, so suddenly I had this massive cash hurdle to overcome after getting the golden parts...

I used this method to grind for money, quick and easy 👍

dock

Game Designer
Verified
Nov 5, 2017
I wouldn't call it bad design. It rewards people that pay attention ("hey, why is there a third snake hole on the screen") and those that recognize that the exit of a snake hole doesn't have to be on the same screen as the entrance (it happens earlier in the game in the volcano as well as within the manor itself).
The other holes are horizontally aligned to their exit hole. I explored all of the manor rooms to the left of this looking for a hole using this logic, but it turns out the holes are just magical teleporters. It doesn't even give any hint which direction the hole is leading.

Fuzzy

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Toronto
The other holes are horizontally aligned to their exit hole. I explored all of the manor rooms to the left of this looking for a hole using this logic, but it turns out the holes are just magical teleporters. It doesn't even give any hint which direction the hole is leading.
The hole being at the top of the screen was a huge hint for me and I found it right away when I noticed that third hole.

Nocturnowl

Oct 25, 2017
Is there a reliable way to get through the third section of the hidden snake area leading to a musical note in the volcano?
the safe gap between fireballs must be the smallest margin and getting hit sorta screws up your movement along the mossy walls.
Don't have the health to brute force my way through.

I like this game and there's a lot of cool ideas in it but I'd be lying if I didn't feel that I wasn't often wrestling with what feels like a lot of inconsistency and some iffy hitboxes that drag my enjoyment down a fair bit in parts.

Nocturnowl

Oct 25, 2017
Cripes, I finally did it with fortunate fireball timing and abusing the one i-frame I had for the section.

Seems like the kinda section where the fireballs should have a consistent pattern but due to the varied distances they travel you get something that doesn't quite work?

Jinfash

Oct 27, 2017
I used this method to grind for money, quick and easy 👍

That's what I did, but I equipped the coin doubler. You can do ~250 gold in one run and if you're fast, you can fit 2 runs in a minute.

It's fast, but monotonous like any other grind. I stopped once I was able to afford all the regular equipment. How much do I need for gold equipment?

Fuzzy

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Toronto
That's what I did, but I equipped the coin doubler. You can do ~250 gold in one run and if you're fast, you can fit 2 runs in a minute.

It's fast, but monotonous like any other grind. I stopped once I was able to afford all the regular equipment. How much do I need for gold equipment?
$1K each.

Soupbones

Oct 26, 2017
What a game! Happy this turned out so awesome - a fitting entry in the MonsterBoy/Wonderboy series. One of the few series that doesn't have a bad game imo.

30 hours/83%complete. (Forced myself to use no hints whatsoever)

Is there a different ending for 100% completion?

Last edited:

Cartas

Oct 28, 2017
Finished it with about 92% completion in 15 hours. Went in with no expectations - what a great game!

Only experienced one crash, and the framerate only noticeably dropped during the last boss (where it felt like it dropped below 20FPS!).

Now pondering if I should grab Wonder Boy on the Switch too...!

Jinfash

Oct 27, 2017
1. Is there a NG+?
2. Is there an end game that allows me to leisurely find all the chests? I'm currently in...

The dark realm. Currently stripped of all the animals. I miss my forms.

Fuzzy

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Toronto
1. Is there a NG+?
2. Is there an end game that allows me to leisurely find all the chests? I'm currently in...

The dark realm. Currently stripped of all the animals. I miss my forms.
1. No.
2. After beating the final boss it puts you back at the final save location with the boss still alive and you can leave to go find everything if you want to.

OP
OP
Mega Man Zero

Mega Man Zero

Oct 27, 2017
Oh shit, really? I beat the game with everything minus 5 coin chests I missed and cleaned up after the fact.
I had 100% map, all gear fully upgraded, all heart containers, all truffles, etc.
Can you please let me know, via a hidden spoiler, what changes at 100%?

It gives you a little something related to MWIV maybe hinting at a sequel. I wouldn't go out of my way to get it if you didn't play MWIV. It's just a picture.