• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Who is cuter?

• Pepelogoo

• Kirby

• Jigglypuff

• Kirby sucks

Results are only viewable after voting.

Tainted

Oct 25, 2017
Australia
Requesting a bit of help.

I'm at the Haunted Mansion, and I can't figure out how to get the mirror statue near the dual conveyor belts to stay in place on the left side of the map. I feel like I've completed all of the map so far besides this one little riddle -- I've got the Mirror Shield and I've got Pepelegoo following me around... I feel like the two major areas I can't access yet are the door behind the statue in the main hall, and the sewers next to the water pressure machine. I'm completely at a loss at what to do -- I feel like I need that statue to sit in place so it'll beam light into the main hall so I can finish the center light puzzle.

The solution to that one is to get on the other side of it once it drops down a level and just keep pushing it to the right. That one got me as well until Thomas came on here and explained it haha

eXistor

Oct 27, 2017
Hollow Knight is on another level and not even a fair comparison, especially at $15. I completed the story at 92% after 60 hours and that's not even touching the latest free DLC. The game is filled with variety and cool secrets. Not sure why you would have doubts given the reception it's had

I also thought the physical version was cancelled.
Damn I must've missed that news about the cancellation. Oh well, I'll still hold off until they figure it out.

Popular opinion is not something I hold in high regard. I'm more of a see-for-myself type person. It's exactly the kind of game I love, but HK seems to go against some of my personal criteria for the genre so that's why I'm very reserved about it. I'm sure it's a good game but that's what people said about Ori and the Blind Forest and I found that to be very middle of the road, but if you go by popular opinion it;s the best game in the genre, and that's something I'll never agree upon.

KaiPow

Oct 25, 2017
Well, I'm an idiot.

But besides that, there's an underwater door at the beach that I broke the bricks to reach, got the sound of the secret unlocking, and there's no door. Am I missing something?

Last edited:

entremet

You wouldn't toast a NES cartridge
Oct 26, 2017
I need help in the Haunted Manor

I"m in a room with three floating tables. One angled down and a spiked ball. I keep thinking I got it, but the ball loses momentum on the hill of the last platform. I've been racking my brain. I don't want to try YT because it may spoil other sections.

Ruffy666

Oct 27, 2017
I really, really, really want to love this game. Really. But it's just too frustrating for me. I can't remember the last game that made me want to throw the controller at a wall so strongly. Between the respawning enemies and the somewhat precise platforming, I find I can only play this in 15 minute chunks because I get so wound up.

Waiting for the "git gud" comments but man I wish this had an easy mode. (I completed the recent remake without too much difficulty so I dunno why this one eludes me...)

Tainted

Oct 25, 2017
Australia

I"m in a room with three floating tables. One angled down and a spiked ball. I keep thinking I got it, but the ball loses momentum on the hill of the last platform. I've been racking my brain. I don't want to try YT because it may spoil other sections.
Remember you can perform small jumps when you have possessed the spiked ball...this combined with optimal placement of the ramps will give you enough momentum to get you up that last bit

Look! The Pie!

Chicken Chaser
Oct 27, 2017

I've also been stuck on this for the past half hour and to be honest I'm almost ready to put the game down. I absolutely adored it for the first 15 hours but now the dungeons are getting obnoxiously long and difficult. All these possession puzzles in particular are really starting to wear thin.

Tainted

Oct 25, 2017
Australia
I've also been stuck on this for the past half hour and to be honest I'm almost ready to put the game down. I absolutely adored it for the first 15 hours but now the dungeons are getting obnoxiously long and difficult. All these possession puzzles in particular are really starting to wear thin.

The Volcano and Haunted Manor stages are the toughest sections in the game (for different reasons). I recommend powering on as the stages after the Haunted Manor are fantastic and personally were less frustrating for me. You will be missing out on some of the best parts of the game if you drop it now.

KaiPow

Oct 25, 2017
The Haunted Manor sounds like it's a place that a lot of people have issues at. It's been somewhat smooth sailing for me up until here after solving those last treasure puzzles I was stuck on.

Now, I need to figure out how to activate the lights in the main room with the use of my blue friend.. Don't have the dragon talisman yet and I haven't seen where I can use the chapel key yet.

Dizastah

Oct 25, 2017
Can someone help me. I just beat the
wizard
and gave the owl his missing item. Now I have a indicator that says go to the sanctuary but there is nothing to do there. The nun chick (goat) is just standing outside. When I talk to the owl dude he just says, "use that key to get through the waterfalls area"

I don't even have a key......what the heck?

Tainted

Oct 25, 2017
Australia
Can someone help me. I just beat the
wizard
and gave the owl his missing item. Now I have a indicator that says go to the sanctuary but there is nothing to do there. The nun chick (goat) is just standing outside. When I talk to the owl dude he just says, "use that key to get through the waterfalls area"

I don't even have a key......what the heck?

Something seems glitched there. Once you give the fortune cookie to Hoots, he tells you to visit the Sanctuary (which should be unlocked from earlier). Sister Abigoat (the nun chick) should be inside and send you off on the quest to retrieve the 3 relics.

The key for the waterfalls area would have already been used to access the locked door in the Falls area which leads to Deadwood Graveyard/Haunted Manor.

KaiPow

Oct 25, 2017
So, I sequence broke the Haunted Manor while trying to figure out the lights. I was able to finish the majority of the area without ever going into the chapel area or doing the puzzle in the main room in the intended way.

If you jump at just the right height off the pressure plate, it will stay locked. From there, you can use the limited fly of the dragon form to fly into the gap for the light switch and hit it with Pepe. This cuts out the entire set of puzzles to permanently turn the light beams on.

And with that, here's the platinum trophy:
SZSSNCL.jpg

Tainted

Oct 25, 2017
Australia
So, I sequence broke the Haunted Manor while trying to figure out the lights. I was able to finish the majority of the area without ever going into the chapel area or doing the puzzle in the main room in the intended way.

If you jump at just the right height off the pressure plate, it will stay locked. From there, you can use the limited fly of the dragon form to fly into the gap for the light switch and hit it with Pepe. This cuts out the entire set of puzzles to permanently turn the light beams on.

And with that, here's the platinum trophy:

Seems odd to me you were able to 100% complete the game without exploring the whole map.

entremet

Oct 26, 2017
I figured it out. It's wacky. I was able to figure the rest of the Haunted Manor as well. Felt good getting through that. Some crazy puzzles there.

You need to long press and I mean long press the direction toward the door. The ball will eventually get there. Really weird physics

Late game help

How do I the pig back? I got all my forms in the ultimate section, but the the pig. I need his sense of smell.

Tainted

Oct 25, 2017
Australia
How do I the pig back? I got all my forms in the ultimate section, but the the pig. I need his sense of smell.

After you have returned with the golden sword, you need to backtrack to the first area of Dark Realm. You will see a wall of dark goo bricks to the far right which lead to the pig form puzzle room.

I wrapped up the rest of the area after doing the dining room events.

Gotcha

Dizastah

Oct 25, 2017
Something seems glitched there. Once you give the fortune cookie to Hoots, he tells you to visit the Sanctuary (which should be unlocked from earlier). Sister Abigoat (the nun chick) should be inside and send you off on the quest to retrieve the 3 relics.

The key for the waterfalls area would have already been used to access the locked door in the Falls area which leads to Deadwood Graveyard/Haunted Manor.
You were right. I restarted the game and she is in the sanctuary. Phew......I was about to quit this game forever. lol

Jinfash

Oct 27, 2017
I need help with this secret chest (question mark) one square to the left of my character. Halp!

Jinfash

Oct 27, 2017
Ahem, and while I'm asking for help, I'm not faring well with finding the ? chest next to the sewers label. Thank you in advance. 🙏🏽🙏🏽🙏🏽

Fuzzy

Completely non-threatening
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Toronto
Without seeing a screenshot of what the screen looks like for your first one I can't remember off the top of my head.

Ahem, and while I'm asking for help, I'm not faring well with finding the ? chest next to the sewers label. Thank you in advance. 🙏🏽🙏🏽🙏🏽
That one is easy.

Remember at the beginning of the game when you were a pig and you followed a ghost? You didn't follow it to all of its hiding spots. You'll need to look for the smoke that hides it in the two (maybe three) lines above the title "The Sewers". It'll then finally hide where the ? is. It's a heart container and you're gonna kick yourself because you could've had an extra heart from almost the beginning of the game.

Tainted

Oct 25, 2017
Australia

For the first one, change to dragon form and fly up the left cliffside a little and you will reveal a hidden room inside the rock wall.

The Sewers one is gained by chasing the little ghost around for a bit, he eventually goes to the bottom where the ? is...revealing a red chest with heart piece. That little side quest is started with a pig sniff 2 room to the right of where the ? is on that map

Neo-Saiyan

Oct 27, 2017
Birmingham, UK
4dJIY9Ll.jpg

Just finished my 2nd 100% run on the Switch version and I loved it as much as my 1st playthrough!

This game is just too damn good and deserves all the praise it's been getting, it's funny because I originally was waiting for this game to go on sale before getting it but thanks to the first few pages of this very thread, I got so hyped up about it and decided to take the plunge and boy am I glad I did, I double dipped on the Switch after completing my first playthrough on the PS4 version, paid FULL price for both with NO regrets!

Forget GOTY, this is personally my GAME OF THE GENERATION and I'm not fucking kidding!!

I have not played a single game this gen that has scratched an itch the way Monster Boy had done, no game in recent memory had made me felt like I was a kid again like this had, not even re-playing old retro games that I used to play/love has this effect on me.

I very rarely re-play games once I've completed them these days but I've done 2 100% playthrough back to back, a combined total playtime of 50+ hours and I still can't get enough of it, a reminder of my younger self playing and completing my fave games over and over without ever getting bored of them, I could do another playthrough right now but I think I'll leave that run for the PC version. 😂

I don't know what kind of black magic FDG Entertainment/Game Atelier used to craft this masterpiece but kudos to them and they absolutely deserves all the praise it gets, I'll be showing my support by getting the PC version on Day 1 when it eventually comes out. 👍

Sep 28, 2018
Between Sonic Mania, Monster boy and hopefully Streets of Rage 4 I'm currently going through a classic SEGA renaissance. Now how about a new 2D Comix Zone or Ecco...

Thomas Kern

Executive Producer at FDG Entertainment
Verified
Nov 7, 2017
Germany
4dJIY9Ll.jpg

Just finished my 2nd 100% run on the Switch version and I loved it as much as my 1st playthrough!

This game is just too damn good and deserves all the praise it's been getting, it's funny because I originally was waiting for this game to go on sale before getting it but thanks to the first few pages of this very thread, I got so hyped up about it and decided to take the plunge and boy am I glad I did, I double dipped on the Switch after completing my first playthrough on the PS4 version, paid FULL price for both with NO regrets!

Forget GOTY, this is personally my GAME OF THE GENERATION and I'm not fucking kidding!!

I have not played a single game this gen that has scratched an itch the way Monster Boy had done, no game in recent memory had made me felt like I was a kid again like this had, not even re-playing old retro games that I used to play/love has this effect on me.

I very rarely re-play games once I've completed them these days but I've done 2 100% playthrough back to back, a combined total playtime of 50+ hours and I still can't get enough of it, a reminder of my younger self playing and completing my fave games over and over without ever getting bored of them, I could do another playthrough right now but I think I'll leave that run for the PC version. 😂

I don't know what kind of black magic FDG Entertainment/Game Atelier used to craft this masterpiece but kudos to them and they absolutely deserves all the praise it gets, I'll be showing my support by getting the PC version on Day 1 when it eventually comes out. 👍
Thank you very much for sharing your wonderful thoughts and impressions. It makes me very happy to hear that Monster Boy made you feel like a kid again because this is what we tried to achieve. To travel back and experience a game like we experienced them at young age again. ^_^

entremet

Oct 26, 2017
4dJIY9Ll.jpg

I concur. It's so charming.

Funny enough, I started playing the Monster Boy games on Xbox 360, with the M2 collection. So I had some nostalgia. I'm kinda bummed out I missed on the physical versions. Although I'm mostly digital these days, I do like getting all time favs on physical release.

Fuzzy

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Toronto
Half of those deaths were from farming coins using the method I posted a few pages back LOL
That's why I liked the one I mentioned elsewhere in the Volcano. The respawning blob enemy drops a 20g bag every time when you have full health and you rack up the coins with the 2x coin bracelet on.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iaLDdKvDiSA

The person in this video was aggressive in the way they were killing it causing them to get hit a few times. Also, there's one of those statues where throwing bombs into it to give you 3 hearts in the room directly before it so it ensures you'll get no hearts from the enemy if you top up your hearts first. They got >600g in a minute and they could've gotten more if they had full health.

entremet

Oct 26, 2017
That's why I liked the one I mentioned elsewhere in the Volcano. The respawning blob enemy drops a 20g bag every time when you have full health and you rack up the coins with the 2x coin bracelet on.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iaLDdKvDiSA

The person in this video was aggressive in the way they were killing it causing them to get hit a few times. Also, there's one of those statues where throwing bombs into it to give you 3 hearts in the room directly before it so it ensures you'll get no hearts from the enemy if you top up your hearts first. They got >600g in a minute and they could've gotten more if they had full health.

My favorite end game location for gold farming is:

Castle entrance with the penguins. The volcano sections are tedious and I enjoy destroying the penguins lol.

Fuzzy

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Toronto
My favorite end game location for gold farming is:

Castle entrance with the penguins. The volcano sections are tedious and I enjoy destroying the penguins lol.
Yeah I did that the first time I played the game but it takes so much more time and it's possible to take damage. The third time I 100% the game in 8h44m (13 deaths) I did it the same way as the video I posted.

xianren

Oct 27, 2017
Switzerland
I am in love with this game....Just sooo pretty... I am 20% in and enjyoing every minute of it. The one thing I don't like is when you die too often on a boss fight and some helper starts dropping heart items and other nonsense. Why did they include this???

ghibli99

Oct 27, 2017
Any shop that you can still buy things from is a different colour than those you've already bought everything. Just look at your map and check them.
I know it's been said, but it deserves saying again, but this game has one of the most useful (and pretty) Metroid-style maps. It's so easy and fun to track completion on it. I know there's a time and place for maps that are more vague, but I absolutely love this one!

Neo-Saiyan

Oct 27, 2017
Birmingham, UK
The one thing I don't like is when you die too often on a boss fight and some helper starts dropping heart items and other nonsense. Why did they include this???

That's probably my only gripe on an otherwise perfect game, but I could understand why they did it, some of the boss fights can get pretty frustrating until you learn the patterns so this little crutch helps those less patient gamers out there, personally I don't think there's any need especially as there's usually a save point right before the boss fight.

Ghost_Messiah

Oct 27, 2017
4dJIY9Ll.jpg

Oh man it's posts like this that make me want to play the game yesterday - but I'm a Steam peasant waiting on the PC release here. Glad you loved the game so much.

This is exactly what I wanted out of the game - something to make me feel like a child playing Wonder Boy in Monster World again decades ago - and it appears the game is so good it achieves precisely that. Checking this thread quite often for news on the Steam release. Hope it's this month.

Tainted

Oct 25, 2017
Australia
Well this is annoying! The final boss room gave the last 0.1%, so what am I missing?

Looking at the map, nothing sticks out. My best advise is to go to the vendor in Aeria and buy as many of those secret scrolls as you can (It will only let you buy as many as you need to reveal all the remaining secrets). It will then reveal the missing things on your map with a (?)....in your case, it may only be 1 or 2 rainbow drops needed.