• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Dancrane212

Oct 25, 2017
Update:

Monster Boy platform sales ratio update: #NintendoSwitch vs #XboxOne vs #PS4 = 10:1:3 - #PS4 getting better! It doesn't change our love for all of these platforms as we can only say good things about the teams behind them and the universal support from gamers who own them.

___

Original Post

Nintendo Switch continues to amaze us. Not only does it bring so much joy with its original games, it's also the most profitable console business ever for us. It's another universe in regards of sales numbers. #MonsterBoyGame ratio is 8:1 #NintendoSwitch vs everything else.

Last sales number we got was 50 000 copies sold during the first week the game was on the market. With that ratio ~44400 of those copies were sold on Switch.

Last edited:

Sagadego17

Banned
Oct 25, 2017

Nintendo Switch continues to amaze us. Not only does it bring so much joy with its original games, it's also the most profitable console business ever for us. It's another universe in regards of sales numbers. #MonsterBoyGame ratio is 8:1 #NintendoSwitch vs everything else.

Cudpug

Nov 9, 2017
I love all these success stories for the developers. I hope to pick this up at some point!

Raza

Nov 7, 2017
Ohio
It's not a powerhouse graphics hog type of game, so Switch made sense for me. And it was the same price as the PS4 version at launch.

Ryuelli

Oct 26, 2017
Love the art from what I've seen of it. Would love to pick it up at some point, but my backlog is big as it is and my new years resolution this year is to not pick up something if I'm probably not going to get around to watching/reading/playing it.

John Harker

Knows things...
Oct 27, 2017
Santa Destroy
is this game a sequel to Dragon Trap?
I played that game and enjoyed it - though I never finished it because that dungeon in the sky is HARD and way too far from the check point :(

Cymbal Head

Oct 25, 2017
I mean this one seemed like a perfect fit for the Switch audience, but still. That's a pretty ridiculous split.

Deleted member 3017

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
This is the best game of 2018. Buy it one whichever platform you prefer. It's on all consoles and coming to PC soon.

entremet

You wouldn't toast a NES cartridge
Oct 26, 2017
Impressive. What a turnaround for Nintendo when it comes to 3rd parties.

ghibli99

Oct 27, 2017
Very nice! My Switch goes almost everywhere I do (at the very least around the house and to/from work), so I'm more likely to play games on it, and thus more likely to buy multiplatform games on it in the first place when performance isn't a big issue. And yes, I did buy Monster Boy for Switch (physical).

Rhaknar

Oct 26, 2017
I legit thought it was only out on Switch lol. I know for a fact its not out on PC.

Deleted member 2145

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I mean, I expected the Switch version to lead the pack. it's just one of those games that speaks to the Nintendo audience more so than the others

but 8:1 Switch vs. everything is crazy

Kouriozan

Oct 25, 2017
I'm really glad that indies are finding so much success on the eShop, I'll grab this one later for sure.

Oregano

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Well it's not like Switch owners had much else to play recently...

Nanashrew

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I have this game in my wishlist and still need to get it. I keep hearing nothing but praise for this game.

Hero-of-Time

Oct 27, 2017
Easily one of my favourite games of last year. I imported a copy to the UK ( no physical release over here ) and it was one of my best gaming purchases of 2018.

I'm happy they have found some success on the Switch and I hope the game continues to sell thanks to the positive word of mouth.

I was disappointed to see the game didn't make it in the eShop top 15 for December. I guess the price may have been a little too rich for some but the game is absolutely worth the price.

brainchild

Independent Developer
Verified
Nov 25, 2017
See, the lack of competition argument doesn't work here because not only is there a lot of competition on the platform these days, that ratio is completely off the charts; it didn't just outsell the other platforms by a significant margin, it outsold them by a gargantuan margin. Clearly there is a demographic difference with the Switch user base and developers would be wise to not ignore it.

kennyamr

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
New York, NY, USA
Yea, the Switch may not have RDR2, RE2:Re, KH3, MH:W, DMCV, Sekiro, P5R, and all of the other big stuff, but it still has plenty of cool games that people seem to love.

Hero

One Winged Slayer
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Absolutely bonkers. We've heard a lot of retro indie games being successful on Switch but an 8:1 ratio is ridiculous

Calamari41

Oct 25, 2017
is this game a sequel to Dragon Trap?
I played that game and enjoyed it - though I never finished it because that dungeon in the sky is HARD and way too far from the check point :(

Yes, Dragon's Trap is a remake of a game in the same series from the Master System, while this is a brand new creation.

If you enjoyed Dragon's Trap, you will definitely not regret buying this one.

Piston

Oct 25, 2017
I should get this game.... on Switch probably.

Really enjoyed the Wonder Boy: Dragon's Trap remake in 2017.

heavy liquid

Oct 27, 2017
Bonkers. Even though I play my Switch almost exclusively docked, there have also been quite a few times where I've taken it in the car and on the plane. Being portable has led me to buy more games on the Switch, as well as re-buy games that I already own on PC/Console, just because I can take it with me.

Treasure Silvergun

Self-requested ban
Banned
Dec 4, 2017
I like to think that these ratios can be at least partly explained with the advantage of being able to play the games on the go.

Cutting-edge graphics not being an issue, I think portability can only be seen as a nice added bonus for many games.

Lelouch0612

Oct 25, 2017
I heard it is a wonderful game. I am definitely going to pick this up but at the same time I don't want to have a big backlog.

Looks amazing.

Deleted member 3017

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
If you enjoyed The Dragon's Trap, you should have already bought this game! Dragon's Trap is a great game, this is 100x better.