• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

sheaaaa

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
It looks like dozens of other games I've already played. Games I've enjoyed a good number of, but there's only so many animated 2d "metroidvania" platformer adventure games I'm going to be interested in in a given year. And let me tell you, some of them were very good, and very lengthy, and a lot less than $40.

You've been completely unable to articulate what makes this one any more special or what makes it not a bunch of great production value papered over the same game I've played a bunch already this year. "Best game of the year" and "one of the best game of the GENERATION" is an extraordinary claim. One that without spending $40 I can only judge by watching gameplay and impressions, and it does not look to live up to that moniker.

You could read one of the number of very positive reviews of the game. Here's one: https://www.eurogamer.net/articles/...m-review-a-vital-updating-of-a-classic-series

'3y Kingdom

Oct 27, 2017
Along with being a niche title, it came out at a bad time for the Switch audience that would otherwise eat it up. Like many, I fully intend to play it, but only after going through Smash.

andymcc

Oct 25, 2017
Columbus, OH
Oct 29, 2017
It's not a terrible result, but not a great one either.

They really should've launched this in January. Going up directly against Smash was absolutely foolish. Even the most hardened of Monster World/Wonderboy fans would be likely to be busy with Smash (and Switch owners were the primary target audience for this game, given that the Dragon's Trap remake sold best there).

It might still do alright in the long run, but Smash really did just suck all of the air out of the room for its launch unfortunately.

A steam page doesn't mean much anymore, I guess its a good chance its going to the epic store as an exclusive, the developer is crazy enough to charge 40 bucks for an indie game, a money hat doesn't seem out of the question....

It's not an indie game. It's a $40 retail title that was made by members from the original Westone team who made the original Wonderboy/Monster World games and the IP is officially licensed from SEGA. It's basically on the same production tier as Sonic Mania.

Last edited:

aerie

wonky
Administrator
Oct 25, 2017
Glad to hear it's doing well. I do quite look forward to picking this up, but it'll be a few months away. I am very fond of the Wonder Boy games.

Dark1x

Digital Foundry
Verified
Oct 26, 2017
It's not a terrible result, but not a great one either.

They really should've launched this in January. Going up directly against Smash was absolutely foolish. Even the most hardened of Monster World/Wonderboy fans would be likely to be busy with Smash (and Switch owners were the primary target audience for this game, given that the Dragon's Trap remake sold best there).

It might still do alright in the long run, but Smash really did just suck all of the air out of the room for its launch unfortunately.
How's the single player portion of Smash? It's a series I've never really managed to get into but it is very appealing.

sensui-tomo

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I'm thinking of getting this since its giving me massive nostalgia for that sega genesis game (wonder boy in monster world) Does it run the same on all platform more or less ( as in framerate ( cuz it'd either be me getting this on the X(because i have the monster world old collection bc game which i need to still finish) or the switch(because portability)

Knuf

Oct 28, 2017
Shame: could have been 50.001, if they didn't deliberately choose to withhold that physical release from us Euro peasants.

Deleted member 3897

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
OK then, I'll give it a shot.

What makes this so special is a combination of elements.

The biggest one is level design. Metroidvania style games are a dime a dozen these days and one issues I've had with many of them is 'hallway syndrome', as we'll call it. You spend a lot of time walking through hallways slashing at enemies over and over again on the way to your destination. You really don't have to worry much about platforming since there is little death in that regard. I don't mind this style of design but it can become tiresome.

I feel that Monster Boy manages to solve this by taking a very different approach. The main thrust is that you can't just mindlessly run through the world - you need to be on your game. There are platforming challenges galore, enemy patterns are challenging and you can't take that much damage. It forces you to learn enemy strategies while mastering actual platforming - the return of pits is a big deal in a game like this. Couple this with the varied moveset and you have more interesting traversal through a world that is more thoughtfully designed.

...but that's just the tip of the iceberg.

The main thing that sold me is the 'dungeon' design. You are basically required to visit a series of locations in the world in order to obtain an object - you must navigate the overworld map to reach each dungeon and, upon arrival, you'll discover a large, puzzle filled platforming challenge. The closest analog for me is The Legend of Zelda: A Link to the Past. Like Zelda 3, each one follows a unique theme with a huge focus on puzzle solving - you're often visiting different areas of the dungeon to solve a larger problem - like, say, a door in the middle needs to be opened but you need to visit four corners of the dungeon to open it. That will involve solving puzzles, platforming challenges and engaging in combat.

Along the way, you will also encounter an area or two that cannot be navigated immediately - this requires finding a specific tool/power-up similar to the big chests in Zelda. These new power-ups allow you to overcome the immediate challenge but also open up the overworld with new areas that you can visit.

Each dungeon basically has a boss fight which is a mix of skill based action platforming and puzzle solving.

This overarching design is what really works for me - it lacks that repetitive hallways so common in "Metroidvania" style games and is constantly introducing new ideas, mechanics and puzzles. I'm amazed at just how often new ideas are introduced and how well they're executed. The game is very good at showing rather than telling as well - you'll immediately grasp new concepts without tutorials.

Couple that with excellent control - it feels satisfying to attack enemies and platform - and you have something that feels great to play.

In addition, the soundtrack is superb featuring a wide selection of top tier Japanese composers including Yuzo Koshiro, Michiru Yamane, Motoi Sakuraba and Keiki Kobayashi, among others and an amazing visual style.

So, for me, it solves issues I've had with 'Metroidvania' style games over the years with extremely smart level design that is packed with variety and challenge while offering a superb presentation. There are a million other games that may seem similar on the surface but few have this attention to detail when it comes to mechanics and level design.

One last thing - there are a *LOT* of games trying to emulate classic Japanese games from the 8 and 16-bit era but very few actually pull it off. It's a difficult thing to get right and this is one of the few games I've played in the last decade that really gets that right.

Sounds great, getting it as soon as it releases on Steam.

Btw, why isn't it releasing on PC until next year?

Oct 29, 2017
How's the single player portion of Smash? It's a series I've never really managed to get into but it is very appealing.

It's pretty good. It's not meant for binging through in one go, but rather it's meant to be played in short bursts. It's pretty similar to the Weapon Master mode from Soulcalibur 1 & 2. Pretty substantial and good fun :)

XaosWolf

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
I bought it digital and then also decided I needed it physically. Game is a legit Monster World game.
The only negative I have for it so far is that the dragonman design is a huge step down from WB3. His face is so smushed he looks like fishman!

Fuzzy

Completely non-threatening
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Toronto
I'm thinking of getting this since its giving me massive nostalgia for that sega genesis game (wonder boy in monster world) Does it run the same on all platform more or less ( as in framerate ( cuz it'd either be me getting this on the X(because i have the monster world old collection bc game which i need to still finish) or the switch(because portability)

From the Executive Producer at FDG Entertainment in the OT:

The game is maxed out at 1080p/60fps which is achieved on all platforms. It upscales beautifully on 4K screens btw

mindatlarge

Oct 27, 2017
PA, USA
It controls much much better.
Been debating on picking this up on PS4 or Switch physically, gonna buy it for sure, but I was wondering if you had any time comparing the two versions? Like does the Switch have performance issues that the PS4 version does not? Thanks if you know, if not, still thanks for all the cool content you guys put out!

'3y Kingdom

Oct 27, 2017
Wait, you were knocking the game without playing it? :P

Like Monster Boy apparently is, it's a smorgasbord of nostalgia for fans of all the assembled IPs, particularly in the World of Light mode. To give an example, you come across a Jigglypuff that is guarding a Miltank "spirit" (basically an equippable badge) and only uses its rolling attack, a reference to Whitney's Miltank and its overpowered Rollout move from Pokemon Gold/Silver. And there are hundreds of these fights. It's not superlative game design by any means, but it's a lot of fun if you enjoy the nuts and bolts of the fighting system and are knowledgable about most of the associated properties.

Apenheul

Oct 27, 2017
The Netherlands
If the movement and controls is your only concern then yes it's worth looking into. Monster Boy being a 'modern' game, it controls much better.
Dragon's Trap has an old-school game feel and hit detection because it's a 1:1 remake of a Master System game. Cursed Kingdom is a brand new game so if that's your only worry you should be fine.
Thanks, I'll give it a try when it's discounted on the eShop. I'm into the genre and into retro gaming so not liking Wonder Boy surprised me, but I'm open to trying another similar game.

Valcrist

Tic-Tac-Toe Champion
Oct 25, 2017
As someone who has played both Smash Ultimate and Monster Boy, I wouldn't compare the two. (Different genres anyway.) I have spent more time on Monster Boy, though. Smash is super fun, but I'm not enjoying World of Light very much. Lots of cheap fights that bring forth the frustration. I guess it kind of reminds me of Soul Calibur's story mode in a way, but perhaps feels kinda unfair when a giant Dedede instantly lays waste to you in one blow within 2 seconds.

HyGogg

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Been debating on picking this up on PS4 or Switch physically, gonna buy it for sure, but I was wondering if you had any time comparing the two versions? Like does the Switch have performance issues that the PS4 version does not? Thanks if you know, if not, still thanks for all the cool content you guys put out!
Switch version is A++, locked 60fps 1080p (docked), 720p/60 handheld. Indistinguishable from the PS4 version.

Luckett_X

Oct 25, 2017
Leeds, UK
The EU physical version disappearing into oblivion certainly scuppered my plans to play it sooner rather than later.

Will probably decide in the new year on whether to play it on PS4 or PC, or if I'll be too poor and have to wait for a sale.

I am so so SO pleased they re-did the graphics (maybe as a response to Dragon's Trap?), because it looked like a bad mobile game for quite some time.

'3y Kingdom

Oct 27, 2017
Well, I've played every other Smash. Are you saying this plays significantly differently? ;)

It's one of those series I've always wanted to love but haven't ever been able to really get into it.
No, I wouldn't say that, although it plays very well. I was only speaking to the single-player portion of the game, which I've found more enjoyable than the last couple of entries, due to the extensive "adventure" mode and the process of unlocking most of the huge roster of characters along the way.

Anyway, I'm probably derailing the thread at this point. I'm really looking forward to playing Monster Boy soon, since Dragon's Trap/its remake is one of my favorite "Metroidvania" games.

unicornKnight

â–˛ Legend â–˛
Oct 27, 2017
Athens, Greece
To those who say it's too expensive, take it from someone who has actually played the game. It's worth $60. I'm not saying that just because the quality is fucking HIGH in every way (visuals, sound, gameplay) but because it's actually a sufficiently long game too.

Buy it at full price. Do it now! The developers deserve it, and so do you. Amazing game, seriously.
I believe you but it was still wrong decision imo. I believe a game so beautiful like this at ~20$ could sell hundreds of thousands.

Didn't help that im EU it was digital only.

OP
OP
Dancrane212

Dancrane212

Oct 25, 2017
I believe you but it was still wrong decision imo. I believe a game so beautiful like this at ~20$ could sell hundreds of thousands.

It will eventually get there. Having a "high" launch price at the start gives the team more room to move it around over time rather than being saddled with a low price ceiling from the get-go.

Fuzzy

Completely non-threatening
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Toronto
EU missing out on the physical version is a shame. I was like a kid looking at the stickers and flipping through the colour manual.

tulpa

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
OK then, I'll give it a shot.

What makes this so special is a combination of elements.

The biggest one is level design. Metroidvania style games are a dime a dozen these days and one issues I've had with many of them is 'hallway syndrome', as we'll call it. You spend a lot of time walking through hallways slashing at enemies over and over again on the way to your destination. You really don't have to worry much about platforming since there is little death in that regard. I don't mind this style of design but it can become tiresome.

I feel that Monster Boy manages to solve this by taking a very different approach. The main thrust is that you can't just mindlessly run through the world - you need to be on your game. There are platforming challenges galore, enemy patterns are challenging and you can't take that much damage. It forces you to learn enemy strategies while mastering actual platforming - the return of pits is a big deal in a game like this. Couple this with the varied moveset and you have more interesting traversal through a world that is more thoughtfully designed.

...but that's just the tip of the iceberg.

The main thing that sold me is the 'dungeon' design. You are basically required to visit a series of locations in the world in order to obtain an object - you must navigate the overworld map to reach each dungeon and, upon arrival, you'll discover a large, puzzle filled platforming challenge. The closest analog for me is The Legend of Zelda: A Link to the Past. Like Zelda 3, each one follows a unique theme with a huge focus on puzzle solving - you're often visiting different areas of the dungeon to solve a larger problem - like, say, a door in the middle needs to be opened but you need to visit four corners of the dungeon to open it. That will involve solving puzzles, platforming challenges and engaging in combat.

Along the way, you will also encounter an area or two that cannot be navigated immediately - this requires finding a specific tool/power-up similar to the big chests in Zelda. These new power-ups allow you to overcome the immediate challenge but also open up the overworld with new areas that you can visit.

Each dungeon basically has a boss fight which is a mix of skill based action platforming and puzzle solving.

This overarching design is what really works for me - it lacks that repetitive hallways so common in "Metroidvania" style games and is constantly introducing new ideas, mechanics and puzzles. I'm amazed at just how often new ideas are introduced and how well they're executed. The game is very good at showing rather than telling as well - you'll immediately grasp new concepts without tutorials.

Couple that with excellent control - it feels satisfying to attack enemies and platform - and you have something that feels great to play.

In addition, the soundtrack is superb featuring a wide selection of top tier Japanese composers including Yuzo Koshiro, Michiru Yamane, Motoi Sakuraba and Keiki Kobayashi, among others and an amazing visual style.

So, for me, it solves issues I've had with 'Metroidvania' style games over the years with extremely smart level design that is packed with variety and challenge while offering a superb presentation. There are a million other games that may seem similar on the surface but few have this attention to detail when it comes to mechanics and level design.

One last thing - there are a *LOT* of games trying to emulate classic Japanese games from the 8 and 16-bit era but very few actually pull it off. It's a difficult thing to get right and this is one of the few games I've played in the last decade that really gets that right.

This is completely fair and a situation I've found myself in too. I have a LOT of games that I basically play for 5-10 hours then never touch again.

So when a game is good enough that it's the only thing I want to play, I tend to feel that the quality level is quite high (and it appears to me more specifically). I'll never ever finish Red Dead Redemption 2 even though I think it's super well made but I'll probably play through this 2-3 times at least. Like I did with Sonic Mania.
Wow! Super cool post. You've kind of sold me on it, but I fear I have too many games that I already own and haven't touched... and I just bought Celeste on a whim during the sale for Switch and haven't even touched it. But I will pick this up at some point, though. I'm thinking that it's one of those games that trailers and footage don't really do justice.

Unfortunately there's kind of this AAA timesink phenomenon happening where so many huge games have been coming out and personally I don't have that much money to be spending $40-60 on a game and not complete it so I've felt like I need to play games like RDR2, DQXI, Persona 5, etc. to completion and these are such huge games that take upwards of 100 hours to complete each and it just takes forever. And by the time you finish one (which might take months) there's always another one that's released since and unfortunately it just has the effect of pushing smaller games out of the way because of the hype cycle and the zeitgeist and all that other nonsense.

hydro94530

Chicken Chaser
Oct 27, 2017
Bay Area
I'm so in love with this game I bought it digitally and then also bought 2 physical copies which are sealed on my shelf. Don't why either as I doubt this will ever be rare or worth anything, but I love this game so that's why :-)

denpanosekai

Oct 28, 2017
It's no longer available on vgp.ca which I found very distressing so I hurried to buy it on amazon.ca while they still had copies. Gotta go physical, especially with an instruction manual!!!

Dark1x

Digital Foundry
Verified
Oct 26, 2017
Unfortunately there's kind of this AAA timesink phenomenon happening where so many huge games have been coming out and personally I don't have that much money to be spending $40-60 on a game and not complete it so I've felt like I need to play games like RDR2, DQXI, Persona 5, etc. to completion and these are such huge games that take upwards of 100 hours to complete each and it just takes forever.
Yeah, I've kinda had to make the decision to just stop playing those types of games. I very rarely have the time to complete them so I only bother when it's for work.

I did, however, finish God of War and Spider-Man this year and really enjoyed them both. Spider-Man is probably the only open world game I've wanted to complete in some time.