• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Ozzie

One Winged Slayer
Jan 12, 2018

It's been 5 years since MH4U came out in the West on the 3ds. I have many fond memories with this game. It was also my most played game on the 3ds with 600+ hours. What was your opinion on this game and do you still play it? Surprisingly, there's still quite a few online lobbies.

Also, je suis monte.

Last edited:

Astandahl

Oct 28, 2017
Terrific game. Bought a 3ds just to play these games with my friends.

I should have over 500 hours as well. Crimsom Fatalis insect glaive was OP as fuck.

tuffy

Oct 25, 2017
It's quite a good game overall and I've been replaying it recently online. It's got a good single-player story progression and a good monster roster with fun additions like the Gore Magala family and Seregios. I'm not so fond of the Apex monster mechanic since disengaging to swipe Wystones is a big pain. I'm not that fond of its randomized Guild Quest mechanic either, or putting essential G rank monsters behind them. Oh, and the Sunken Hollow/Volcanic Hollow are unpleasant maps with too many rooms that are either too small or too oddly shaped to have a good fight in.

That said, I still put a ton of hours into it and it's still fun.

TreIII

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Columbia, MD
Still what I consider to be the best game in the series, so far. Lots of content, lots of monsters, the various areas to fight in were cool, the DLC was awesome, and there's even a whole randomized loot system for those who want it.

It's as close to perfection as it gets, in my eyes.

If they had released an HD upscale of this instead of Generations, I legit would have bought it.

You and me both. And this is with me loving Generations Ultimate so much, too.

Oct 25, 2017
Milwaukee, WI
Tried to convince a friend to give this game a try but he really didn't like handheld consoles.

Welp, he finally caved and I'm pretty sure 40% of his personality is now Monster Hunter.

Kamiyouni

Oct 30, 2017
Ironic how this game has more Monster variety on weaker hardware. I love world to death but sheesh...

Ravelle

Oct 31, 2017
It's still the best Monster Hunter to date in my opinion. Fantastic town progression, quest structure Generations lacked, the little bits of personality and personal stories each NPC had when you talked to them. The towns had wonderful music and the chatter of the merchants and quest girls made the towns so lively and pleasant to be in.

Man, I miss that game so much.

I remember half passed out in bed with the 3DS grinding Gold and Silver rath's for the complete sets.

Manu

Oct 27, 2017
Buenos Aires, Argentina
After playing World I bought a 3DS to get more MH, and this is the one I loved the most, far far better than Generations. Gore Magala is my favorite monster.

It's not my favorite MH only because Iceborne made World even better, but I love it all the same.

SayemAhmd

Unshakable Resolve
Dec 3, 2019
Bought a new 3DS just for the game. So many fantastic additions and improvements, for my money the best plot and roster of monsters in the series.

Radline

Oct 28, 2017
I started with 3 Ultimate, but this was where Monster Hunter clicked for me. At the time, it was the most beginner friendly, and I put probably hundreds of hours into it.

Redcrayon

Patient hunter
On Break
Oct 27, 2017
UK
Fantastic game, I hit at least 300 hours in it. Loved every minute, from struggling at the start to farming Gog's armour at the end.

Best game in the series and easily my favorite generation as far as newcomers are concerned. Gore/Shagaru, Seregios, Zamtrios, Nerscylla, the Seltas duo, Tetsucabra, Dalamadur, Najarala, Kecha Wacha... that's all killer right there, even before diving into Gen's contributions.

Feb 5, 2018
Ironic how this game has more Monster variety on weaker hardware. I love world to death but sheesh...

Not really intentional, they clearly have had issues bringing certain rigs/skeletons over (Leviathan skeleton in particular) so im not surprised. They also brought over the skeletons that have the most numerous monsters on them too.

A lot of the Gen 4 monsters are unique to 1 or 2 monsters, so it just wasnt a priority. Wait until MH6, theyll be back

Nocturnowl

Oct 25, 2017
The first time you face seltas Queen and you witness the combining is a top 5 MH moment.

Wasn't a fan of the maps in this one coming off 3 ultimate (the cave that doubles as the volcano especially) but the use of ledges and verticality to add more combat options was great.

Deleted member 7883

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
This was the one that finally clicked for me. I tried MH Freedom 2, Freedom Unite, and 3 Ultimate before this. Freedom 2 I borrowed from a friend but was too young and too impatient to get deep into the game. I lost interest early on in Freedom Unite because of a lack of friends who played it, and that damn Tigrex (too young to understand I was supposed to run), the swimming in 3U was an instant turnoff.

At this point, I'd just give up and tell myself the game isn't for me. But not for Monster Hunter. On paper I should love everything about the game, but with each entry I tried, something turned me off. Then I learned about what changed 4U brought. Gone was the swimming, now replaced by verticality in the maps and mounting. So I took the plunge for the fourth time. I couldn't be more happy I took that fourth plunge.

Starting from that very first prologue mission, where you're fighting a behemoth straight from the get go, instead of getting acquainted for a few hours only with there being a great jaggi fight at the end. My brother and I went HAM on that game. I loved every second of it.

YellowBara

Oct 26, 2017
Really enjoyed this game. Single player was actually enjoyable for once in a MonHun game, the characters were really fun, the new monsters were very enjoyable. I wish the Wystone stuff was a bit less annoying but the game as a whole was excellent. One of those 3DS games I put 400-500 hours into easily.

Raijinto

self-requested ban
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Damn can't believe that's 5 years ago. The New 3DS and Majora's Mask 3D released then too. That was a good day/week for sure.

Gvitor

Oct 27, 2017
One of the best, and a terrific set of new designs. Played it on an OG 3DS, bought a circle pad pro just for this. Totally worth it.

Atrophis

Oct 25, 2017
Love it. Still barely scratched the surface of the game (got it very late and play it super casually).

thezboson

Oct 27, 2017
My absolute favorite game, I love it so damn much. Still delete a save to replay it now and again. Whenever I try to enjoy World I end up playing 4U instead.
Would buy a remaster day one at full price.

OP
OP

Ozzie

One Winged Slayer
Jan 12, 2018

I love how they are tweeting more about it. I would love a remaster on Switch.

spyroflame0487

One Winged Slayer
Nov 3, 2017
I was so excited about it.
I had tried out 3Ultimate on the whim of some friends who recommended it to me. I didn't quite understand how to play at first but then I got better and better and learned the dance with the monsters. Light Bow Gun remains my favorite and only used weapon.

I think 4U is really special to me because the one friend who recommended the series to me, Agent Spectre, won the design contest for the Insect Glaive, the "Clockwork" Glaive. I remember when it was revealed how much joy our little group had. It was like your team winning the Super Bowl but also Christmas and your Birthday at the same time. We had so much fun grinding on that quest to get the materials too.

Aswitch

Nov 27, 2017
Los Angeles, CA
Probably my most played MH if we don't count Generations and Generations ultimate combined. Loved this one. I don't still play it, but you gave me the urge to go back to memory lane.

DrArchon

Oct 25, 2017
Easily my favorite of the "classic" Monster Hunters. 4U hit all the high right notes: a great roster of newcomers, a great selection of new stages, a ton of great returning monsters (even if they could've used a couple more), a surprisingly good story (too bad it's only really good in low rank), and the new weapons were top-notch.

Only downside if that the endgame sucks, but the journey up to it was so good that I can't really hold that against it.

BDS

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
This game introduced me to Monster Hunter, it's an all-time classic.

Imitatio

Feb 19, 2018
Favourite 3DS MH by a large margine. Really enjoyed the journey you're on throughout its campaign/village quests. And it having a higher framerate on New models helped as well! Such a shame the games after it undid that technical change again.

Dog of Bork

Oct 25, 2017
Texas
My second favorite MH overall. The monster diversity it brought was fantastic, and it even felt OK to play with the (modded with psp stick) nub on the plus and a controller grip. I wish there was a console port, it would've made me buy a WiiU or Switch.

Hopefully they can bring back some of the insect and snake skeletons for the next one.

TinTuba47

Nov 14, 2017
First MH game that kinda clicked for me. By that I mean I played it for about 10 hours and had a good time.

MH World is the first game in the series that I legit love though, logged over 30 hours on it and no plans to stop.

Rubblatus

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
This has got to be one of my bigger gaming regrets. It was the first Monster hunter game that I put any real time into, but I gave up on it shortly after arriving in Harth after struggling to find the fun for a while. With the gameplay foundation and all-around appreciation that World created it'd probably do a lot better with me in hindsight, but man is it rough going back to 3DS hardware in 2020 to test that theory.

I did manage to make it to high rank in Generations Unlimited, but I felt frustrated and hamstrung by the fighting style system. Was the Guild style in Monster Hunter Generations Unlimited an accurate representation of the state of 4U's weapons, or were they more "Complete" across the board in 4U?

JangleLuke

Oct 4, 2018
This game was my first MH ever, and I would be lying if I said it was easy for me to get into.
The game just seems like such a clusterfuck of deep and nuanced mechanics at first (and it kind of still is TBH).

Eventually I sat down and killed the Great Jaggi in the weapon tutorials for god knows how many times and... It finally clicked.
Mind you, my shallow general strategy is to hit the monster really hard until it stops moving, but it kind of works.

A couple of years ago I got up to the first serious low-rank Gore Magala fight... And quit because I couldn't beat him.
But this winter I restarted with a new save file, and finally managed to beat that Gore Magala! So I'm very happy about that.
(now I've taken a break from the game not to burn myself out)

So yeah, the start of my MH journey was a doozy, but there's something genuinely special about this series and its fanbase that really draws me in, even as a rookie.
(the game also made me mod my N3DS, and damn is the PSP analog mod an improvement over the nipple)

silva1991

Oct 26, 2017
I hope a remaster of it is made at least to the switch. You can't even pay me to play MH on 3DS.

Kinsei

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
A truly fantastic game, though mounting was hilariously busted. Though I guess the same can be said of pretty much every new mechanic the series introduces. It usually takes a second pass to balance something *Stares at slime in 3U*

TΛPIVVΛ

Nov 12, 2017
booted up my old 4 ultimate and new 3ds man this was where it clicked so much for me such an amazing game its the best one for me followed by Generations Ultimate with its roster and tied with mhw+ice borne hope we get a new switch rendition in future. as a charge blade main forgot how great I am with the great sword which I started out with on this

Oct 27, 2017
I never played this as much as I had wanted to. Loved 3U on Wii U and that was my first taste of the series. I got Mm3D and MH4U with my new 3ds xl right on the same day that I started my first post college job and moved into my first apartment with my now wife. So it was a busy weekend!

I think I just didn't like how cramped it was playing on new 3ds at the time. Had the same issue with MHGU, but then MHW came out and everything was right again.

now if only we could get MH4/GU monsters with MHW mechanics and QOL on switch I'd be set