• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

squall23

Oct 25, 2017
This was my second game since Tri. Played with quite a few people on GAF and played dozens of hours with my friends. I liked Tri, a lot. Insect Glaive made me LOVE 4U.

Euler

Oct 27, 2017
Gen 4 was amazing for Monster Hunter.

I hope they bring these monsters to World 2.

DrROBschiz

Oct 25, 2017
Incredible game and stands as one of the Best MH games ever made

Amazing roster, one of the best story campaigns, one of the first games to include a compelling endgame loop, introduction of aerial combat, fast climbing/vaulting, two new weapon classes.....

I can't heap enough praise for this game

Only Iceborne rivals it (though to be fair I hold many of the games very closely in quality) with GU and 3U close behind.

Whew if Capcom ever got around to doing RE2REMAKE level remasters of MH games this one would be at the top of the list.

I am anxiously awaiting more 4th gen representation to be added in Iceborne or MH6 because the roster is JUST THAT GOOD

NSESN

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 25, 2017
Imagine how good if they made a MH Classic that plays like 4 with some World and Generation mechanics?

DrROBschiz

Oct 25, 2017
The only downside I can even come up with for this game is the platform you were locked to playing it on

3DS was NOT the ideal hardware for this game outside of being portable.

I am happy to have GU on Switch but I would almost prefer to have access to 4U with all the updates and bells and whistles the series had gotten over the years

Antony

Oct 25, 2017
PlayStation Home
Undoubtably one of my favourite games (and in playing it through with my brother, gaming experiences) of all time.
At almost 800 hours it's my longest played game and I'm wondering now why I ever stopped playing...

It's a little scary though; Generations 3DS didn't grab me and neither did Ultimate on Switch, despite my immense hype.
I've got World on PS and Xbox and have barely touched either version.
Whatever it was that was so captivating about 4 (and to only a slightly lesser extent 3U) seems to have gone, it's honestly a little gutting.

DrROBschiz

Oct 25, 2017
I mean, wouldn't that ultimately just be World with Gen 4 monsters?

Which I'm totally for, either way.

Thats far more likely to me now than a remaster

I expect MH6 to really push some serious amount of content our way and we still have a lot more Iceborne content coming so there is definitely a shot at seeing some more 4th gen reps in the future

NSESN

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 25, 2017
I mean, wouldn't that ultimately just be World with Gen 4 monsters?

Which I'm totally for, either way.
No because I dont want it to have all mechanics from world. Honestly I could live without the hook and the open areas. I like the segregated areas more

Man God

Oct 25, 2017
I prefer the 4 maps to any of the new ones in Generations or World. I think 4 has genuinely good maps.

Berordn

One Winged Slayer
Oct 26, 2017
NoVA
No because I dont want it to have all mechanics from world. Honestly I could live without the hook and the open areas. I like the segregated areas more
I mean, the most significant mechanics that World added was the slinger and open world design, so without that all you've really got is a 4U remaster.

I just don't see them abandoning either in a future release, but I'd actually love to see areas like Heaven's Mount redesigned to be properly open.

NSESN

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 25, 2017
I mean, the most significant mechanics that World added was the slinger and open world design, so without that all you've really got is a 4U remaster.

I just don't see them abandoning either in a future release, but I'd actually love to see areas like Heaven's Mount redesigned to be properly open.
I just don't like the open world part. In some maps it is ok, but in the forest and hoarkfrost reach it is very annoying to move around

DrArchon

Oct 25, 2017
I'm not going to question your love of the segmented zones, but I'll just say that after World we'll never see those in a mainline Monster Hunter ever again. The mass market won't accept them even on lower end hardware in this decade.

Dijital_Majik

Oct 27, 2017
Phenomenal game, bought it day one. I even came back to it during the gap between the console and pc release of World. It's probably my most played game ever at 600 hours or so, with only a couple of weapons used, and there's still a few quests I haven't done at G-crown level, and I don't think I've even fought
the Crimson and White Fatalis yet.

NSESN

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 25, 2017
I'm not going to question your love of the segmented zones, but I'll just say that after World we'll never see those in a mainline Monster Hunter ever again. The mass market won't accept them even on lower end hardware in this decade.
It isnt love for the segmented zones, it is just that I hate how boring moving from one place to another can be in world

OP
OP

Ozzie

One Winged Slayer
Jan 12, 2018
Volcanic Hollow being just Sunken Hollow except red was a low point but the rest were good.
I was really disappointed when I found out that Volcanic Hollow was in Generations but not Sunken Hollow which I vastly prefer. Plus I have so many memories of Sunken Hollow due to playing the online MH4U demo for 20 hours.

BennyWhatever

Oct 27, 2017
US
Love this game! Been playing it in the Resetera MH discord with some friends lately. I think I still prefer Gen Ult to it simply because the Post Game is better implemented. I think as a game though, with the grind all the way up to G rank, this one is the best in the series. Great monsters, kind of a cool story, and some fun characters along the way. I remember how terrifying the Magalas were when I first encountered them.

Syril

Oct 26, 2017
Love this game! Been playing it in the Resetera MH discord with some friends lately. I think I still prefer Gen Ult to it simply because the Post Game is better implemented. I think as a game though, with the grind all the way up to G rank, this one is the best in the series. Great monsters, kind of a cool story, and some fun characters along the way. I remember how terrifying the Magalas were when I first encountered them.
My favorite part of the story is the surprise fights against Gore Magala that you actually have to win.

DrArchon

Oct 25, 2017
It isnt love for the segmented zones, it is just that I hate how boring moving from one place to another can be in world
Yeah, I get that. I just think back to the mounting in 4U and realize that most of the ideas in Monster Hunter aren't as good as they could or should be when they're first added.

The open worlds in World have a bunch of problems (and the solutions they added in Iceborne don't do enough), but I'm excited to see how they improve in MH6.

NSESN

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 25, 2017
Yeah, I get that. I just think back to the mounting in 4U and realize that most of the ideas in Monster Hunter aren't as good as they could or should be when they're first added.

The open worlds in World have a bunch of problems (and the solutions they added in Iceborne don't do enough), but I'm excited to see how they improve in MH6.
I agree

Toxi

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
My favorite Monster Hunter. Later ones like Generation Ultimate and World are wonderful, but there's just something about 4 Ultimate that will always stick with me.
Yeah, 4 Ultimate easily has the best overall pacing of any game in the series.

DrROBschiz

Oct 25, 2017

I like the way you put it here

Absolute0

Oct 27, 2017
My fondest memory would probably be hand and neck cramps from playing this on a 3DS.... I really wish this wasn't just a handheld title I'd have put lots of time into it but it just so uncomfortable to play (for me anyways).

Parthenios

The Fallen
Oct 28, 2017
Monster Hunter became one of my favorite franchises last generation and then just *poof* on Switch.

I played 4U up until it (and Hyrule Warriors) killed the shoulder buttons and couldn't be played anymore. I need a new 3DS but can only find models without the 3D, lame.

Ravelle

Oct 31, 2017
I prefer the 4 maps to any of the new ones in Generations or World. I think 4 has genuinely good maps.

Not accidentally walking in to a different zone or not getting Lauched in to a zone is nice but ancient Forest is a MC Escher Painting where I get lost all the time and even the scout flies don't know what to do.

DrROBschiz

Oct 25, 2017
My fondest memory would probably be hand and neck cramps from playing this on a 3DS.... I really wish this wasn't just a handheld title I'd have put lots of time into it but it just so uncomfortable to play (for me anyways).

Yeah playing on 3DS/PSP during 2nd thru 4th gen was rough

Getting Tri on Wii and 3 Ultimate on WiiU was a welcome relief (and I did very much enjoy playing Portable 3rd and Unite on Vita as well)

I'm glad that Switch has captured the portable space so well with a very comfortable and capable system as well as World being on the high end

We really are in a much better place for comfort and I absolutely cant wait for the next big game.... and a sick 4U remake wouldn't hurt :P

Apollo

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
The best MH and probably my game of the decade to be honest. Just an incredible game all around

Toxi

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
Volcanic Hollow being just Sunken Hollow except red was a low point but the rest were good.
Volcanic Hollow just sucked in general. Terrible remix of the Sunken Hollow music, terrible cramped lava rooms. The Dunes were also really bad. The sand pit in the main area is hell incarnate.

Everything else though? *Chef's kiss*

Nocturnowl

Oct 25, 2017
I have too many bad memories of Gravios in the volcanic hollow, he only has two or maybe three rooms that he can fit his boring arse into.
Which might be for the best actually because the other guys jumping up from his fave big room down the bottom, all the way up to the top leading to you having to go for a hike to get back to the fight, meanwhile the spiderweb rooms lay unloved in the corner.
Basically it sucked either way.

Murlin

Feb 12, 2019
I think the Frenzy virus-infected monsters was the best "gimmick" of the series so far.

Retromess

Teyvat Traveler
Nov 9, 2017
Hey Capcom if you're reading this (and I know you are) please make Monster Hunter World 2 just this game again. Please?

Granted, I haven't played Generations, but this game is great. So many great monsters and biomes and weapons. Gimme all the great QOL improvements from World, with the incredible monster library from 4 Ultimate, and I'll play that game for thousands of hours.

Deleted member 34949

Account closed at user request
Banned
Nov 30, 2017
Only got into this series last year and ended up getting this after a lot of people on Era singing its praises. I'm glad I did, I see why some people say its the best in the series.

I wish I'd have given the game a fair chance when the online was still active.

Menx64

Oct 30, 2017
Best MH game tbh. 600+hours and I still wanted to play it. I did a lot of solo, and it was great.

PotionBleue

Nov 1, 2017
I still remember the great music from Ancestral Steppe, Frozen Seaway, Heaven's Mount, Seregios, Shagaru Magala, Seltas, the arena.

It had unlocked framerate which went quite high sometimes on the New 3DS (40-50 fps), and also better stereoscopic 3D effect than Monster Hunter Generations.

I don't get why they thought bringing back Cephadrome in MH4U (and MHGen/U!) was a good idea, one of the most annoying and forgettable monsters.