• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

On what system will you be playing Monster Hunter: World?

• Xbox One

Votes: 49 7.5%
  • PlayStation 4

Votes: 458 70.1%
  • PC

Votes: 251 38.4%

• Total voters

CRQ

Oct 25, 2017
Hello all, and welcome to the Monster Hunter Community Thread!!! (Thread Theme Song for your listening pleasure)

monster_hunter_world_reveal_artwork_2.jpg

Monster Hunter is a franchise that mainly consists of hunting-action games that started all the way back on the PS2 in 2002.

If you're new to the whole hunting monsters thing, you've probably got some questions and I'm going to try to answer them for you.

"What's the newest game to play right now?"

Right now the most recently released entry in the series is Monster Hunter XX, released for the Nintendo 3DS and Nintendo Switch systems in Japan. XX is an updated release of Monster Hunter X(Generations), that adds more hunter arts, styles, and G-Rank. You can find more info about that game, and others to play with, by visiting its OT here!

"That's cool and all, but I can't read Japanese. Isn't there a game that's been localized and is also accessible for beginners?"
Don't worry, I've got the game for you.
Monster-Hunter_4Boxart.png

Monster Hunter 4 Ultimate, released for the Nintendo 3DS, is my personal recommendation for those of you who want to jump into the series right now. It's been officially released in North America and Europe, so you can play the game without needing Google Translate or some online guides handy to navigate the menus. There's a friendly tutorial (relative to other games in the series), and a wide variety of monsters to hunt. There's still activity online, so don't worry about not having people to play with.

Alternatively, another Monster Hunter title was released for the 3DS.
Monster_hunter_generations_cover_art.jpg

Monster Hunter Generations, also for the Nintendo 3DS, introduces Hunter Arts and Styles to the series. This game was made as a celebration of the franchise and brings back a selection of monsters from all previous games, while introducing new ones. Also, this is the first time you can play as a feline, referred to as a Prowler. Meow meow and all that. This game is also a nice entry point to the series, but be warned as the game doesn't ease you in as well as 4 Ultimate, and features like Hunter Arts and Prowler Mode won't stick around for the upcoming release.

"Upcoming release?"

That's right! We're looking forward to a new entry in the series with *drumroll*

Monster_Hunter_World_cover_art.jpg

Monster Hunter: World, to be released on Xbox One, PS4, and PC on January 26, 2018! It ushers in the fifth generation of Monster Hunter, and looks to really revolutionize the series. No more loading between zones, a new grappling hook mechanic, improved animations and new monsters alongside other long-awaited quality-of-life improvements really tighten the package for newcomers and veterans alike.

"But what if I don't want to hunt monsters? Can't I tame them and be friends with them instead?"
Lucky for you, strange non-hunting friend, there's a game for you too!
Monster_hunter_stories_cover_art.jpg

Monster Hunter Stories was recently released in North America and Europe, and provides a different take on gameplay in the world of MonHun. Control a young whoever as you raise monsters from eggs and ride them into turn-based battles against other monsters and monster tamers. There's even multiplayer so you can compete amongst your friends to see who's the top Poogie!

Now then, right now this is a pretty barebones OT but I will update it over the next few days to really doll it up and make it look good. Just like this site, consider this thread a work-in-progress. In the future I hope to update this with more information on other games in the series, and maybe even a form where everyone can include information to hunt together in World and other MonHun games!

By the way, we have a Monster Hunter Discord chat too. Just send me a PM and I'll get you an invite link to the Discord so you can chat with fellow hunters old and new. Never mind that, justclick here to join!

For now feel free to post and hunt on, my fellow hunters!

(So tasty~!)

Last edited:

Juraash

Oct 25, 2017
Now we're talking. Peeps with a Switch should import XX while we wait for world.

mere_immortal

Oct 25, 2017
Good grief I'm excited for World. Shame the PC version isn't day and date, but I'll be grabbing for PS4 and taking a few days off.

Out_Of_Ammo

Oct 25, 2017
Belgium
Can't wait for the PC version! Not too sad that it releases later though since the console version comes out at the same time as DBFZ :p

Neol

Oct 25, 2017
Super excited for World. Honestly can't wait for the PC version release and just gonna buy the PS4 version and double dip later.

Also reminder that lance is the best weapon >:D
latest

Blado

Oct 25, 2017
Took a break from MHXX on switch for a while but I think I'll be getting back into it soon. Gotta get to the end of g-rank before MHW.

Thorn

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Hello everyone! I CANNOT WAIT for MHWorld! Been going through MH4U after doing Gen, man, game is much harder. Just unlocked hard mode for Caravan. Also harder because I'm going from Great Sword my whole life to Bow!

So, what weapon is everyone thinking of maining/trying first for MH World?

Gunspear and BowGunner f or me.

CountAntonio

Oct 25, 2017
Thanks for getting me in people. Figured I'd give this community my first post. Great OT and looking forward to be carried by you all come PC release.

Oct 25, 2017
I was really skeptical about World during and shortly after its reveal, but as soon as the gameplay footage leaked I was sold. It looks like an incredible addition to the franchise, and I can't to get my hands on it.
(On PC. I hope that delay isn't too long!)

Oct 25, 2017
Louisville, Kentucky
If Capcom makes me buy this game twice because the PC version is super delayed, I'm gonna be really upset.

I won't do anything about it, and they'll have still made two sales off me. I'll just be mildly pouty for like a week after the PC release.

Boogalogist

Oct 25, 2017
Ahhh...feels good to be here. I'll be on the PS4 version myself. I can then remote play on the Vita if I feel nostalgic.

Playsage

Oct 25, 2017
Hi! First time I post in the MH community thread

Haven't played properly a MH game since Unite and World seems to be everything I ever wanted from this series

January can't come soon enough

OP
OP
CRQ

CRQ

Oct 25, 2017
I made the OT look less like it was written in five minutes to hopefully make things more welcoming to newcomers. I welcome any suggestions!

Tsuyu

Oct 25, 2017
One of the reason I jumped here is because of the Monhun community.

Kinda need one for World.

Boogalogist

Oct 25, 2017
Charge Blade is the best blade! Glad to be here.

+1 for team Charge Blade. Been a Hammer main since MHF2....up until MH4U, where I switched to Charge Blade. Not turning back after that!

However, my most memorable moment was still solo-ing dual Lavasioth G-rank with bow. Finished with 10 seconds left on the clock.

TheBaldEmperor

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Aw yes, MonHun community! Never pulled the trigger on XX due to the language barrier and having enough to play right now with the limited amount of time I have at this stage in my life. World might be too much to resist, though.

Blackflag

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
I can't find my Gen cart

Downloaded XX and haven't played it much. Guess I need to get on that now.

Corginand

Oct 25, 2017
World is the reason I'm thinking about building my first PC since I doubt my laptop will run it. I'll just keep doing deviant quests on XX until it's out on PC I guess since I'm missing all G2-G5 + supers.

I'm also giving Charge Blade a try and maybe I'll not suck at it by next year.

SpaceSong

Oct 25, 2017
World is the reason I'm thinking about building my first PC since I doubt my laptop will run it. I'll just keep doing deviant quests on XX until it's out on PC I guess since I'm missing all G2-G5 + supers.

I'm also giving Charge Blade a try and maybe I'll not suck at it by next year.

World has a new PC in my mind as well.

I'm trying everything in World, I think. Not sticking to one weapon. Need a new elemental affinity? I'll be checking to see what other weapon and upgrade paths have to offer.