• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

We_care_a_lot

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Summerside PEI
This. Kiss = True love in SW. Always has, always will. Ok, not for Luke x Leia but you saw how that kiss went over.
Okay, but they're also being paid this extra day and revenue splitting 10% of the profits. Quit it with this woe is me stuff. I'm from Poland, my whole family is, the average wage there is like $8,000/year while working 6-7 days a week.

These devs are millionaires compared to the average Polish person. They CHOSE to get paid these extra days to push the game out. If they didn't like it, they could vote another way, or leave! I'm a teacher and often work 50-60 hours a week and only get paid for 40 of them, that is life.
I don't remember any particular quest needed to unlock more trader item goods, but they do cycle after every successful quest. So if the Bomb Casings aren't available, try finishing a quick one star quest and checking the trader's good again. They should be different. And as they keep cycling, Bomb Casings should be available to buy in bulk sooner or later.
The stock for item trading is random. It works just like the wandering granny from the PSP games. All you can really do is check back after every quest and hope they're there.

When it comes to paintballs you don't need bomb casings, you just need a sap plant and paintberry.
Thanks guys I guess I should be clear, I do check after every quest. the stock rotates between 2 sets, but never has bomb casings. I noticed after completing an older optional quest(six star?) I got a talk bubble from the trader and he informed me that he had new 'special' stock so i'm wondering if the unlocks hinge on completing older quests. Nobody seems to know exactly what triggers these unlocks, just that it happens 'after a while' but i'm nearly finished with the villiage quests and it still hasn't unlocked for me.

also thanks for the reminder about paintberries. I completely forgot

Kinsei

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Thanks guys I guess I should be clear, I do check after every quest. the stock rotates between 2 sets, but never has bomb casings. I noticed after completing an older optional quest(six star?) I got a talk bubble from the trader and he informed me that he had new 'special' stock so i'm wondering if the unlocks hinge on completing older quests. Nobody seems to know exactly what triggers these unlocks, just that it happens 'after a while' but i'm nearly finished with the villiage quests and it still hasn't unlocked for me.

also thanks for the reminder about paintberries. I completely forgot
You gain more special stock, more carts for multiplying, and more items to multiply by completing certain prowler quests in the village (alternatively for multiplayer only people they unlock after urgent quests in the hub)

2* Deliver 8 abyssal mushrooms
3* Slay 10 Vespoid/Hornetaur
4* Deliver 3 goldenfish
5* Wound Yian Kut-Ku's head
6* Hunt all large monsters (Great Maccao and Velocidrome)

We_care_a_lot

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Summerside PEI
You gain more special stock, more carts for multiplying, and more items to multiply by completing certain prowler quests in the village (alternatively for multiplayer only people they unlock after urgent quests in the hub)

2* Deliver 8 abyssal mushrooms
3* Slay 10 Vespoid/Hornetaur
4* Deliver 3 goldenfish
5* Wound Yian Kut-Ku's head
6* Hunt all large monsters (Great Maccao and Velocidrome)
thanks so much for this

thezboson

Oct 27, 2017
Just made it to Hyper Shogun Ceanataur. I really hate that the game is forcing you to use hunter arts and the new styles to finish the late game stuff. Even with guard+2, guild lancing him is just not viable due to block damage.

Edit: I figured it out, you really have to stay close to him and shield dash through his legs when he does his two moves that causes block damage.

Last edited:

Toxi

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
Is there an equivalent skill to flinch-free in the MHGU? Started playing Lance for the first time in multiplayer and... Oh my God the tripping is unbearable.

Kinsei

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Is there an equivalent skill to flinch-free in the MHGU? Started playing Lance for the first time in multiplayer and... Oh my God the tripping is unbearable.
Sadly just the castle walls and fortress walls hunter arts. They got rid of the Unshakable skill in Generations, likely to make those hunter arts more appealing.

Toxi

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
Sadly just the castle walls and fortress walls hunter arts. They got rid of the Unshakable skill in Generations, likely to make those hunter arts more appealing.
Oof, thanks for clarifying that. Welp, time to use those Hunter Arts then! I play Striker Lance anyway (I like the old style third stab), so I have more Hunter Art slots than I know what to do with.

Toxi

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
I want the Crystalbeard Hammer because I'm nostalgic for the 3U Grongigas and the Crystalbeard version is better here.

Still worse than my Ahtal-Ka hammer, but I'm irrational. Maybe this will be my next EX Deviant... Not looking forward to that one.

thezboson

Oct 27, 2017
Yesterday I finished farming for the Jho Ceana set. I need one more hyper scale to fully upgrade, but that can wait. Maybe forever.

Farming the hyper monsters and Savage Deviljho has not been fun, they have way too much life IMO.

feline fury

Dec 8, 2017
I'm trying to finish as much as I can before Rise hits and I just found out about the Hayabusa Feather unlock. WTF were they thinking with all these gathering quests? I'm dreading the fishing ones already

Just have a few more key quests before unlocking G rank though

Ravelle

Oct 31, 2017
I booted the game up again and do a few hunts but I forgot what a nonsensicle mess the Quest list is, 30 gathering quests littering everything, no real structure, you get overwhelmed by the scattered list, high rank is 8 stars for some reason. There is no sense of progression unless you follow a key quest guide.

deadfolk

Oct 25, 2017
Really tempted by this game while it's on sale to see if I would like Rise when it comes out.

Problem is the demo really puts me off. Just ask you to choose a weapon (I have no clue) and drops you into a mission. Imo, it does a terrible job of selling the game.

Kinsei

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Really tempted by this game while it's on sale to see if I would like Rise when it comes out.

Problem is the demo really puts me off. Just ask you to choose a weapon (I have no clue) and drops you into a mission. Imo, it does a terrible job of selling the game.
It really does. They are great for vets (I love speedrunning with the premade sets they give you), but I would never suggest for a newcomer to try one.

This game as a whole isn't very newcomer friendly. It is a celebration of four generations of Monster Hunter which means four generations of awesome boss fights and what not, but it also means four generations of low level fetch quests in the early game. While returning players will generally know which ones are skppable, newcomers would not.

I'd say it would be best to wait for Rise and then try Generations Ultimate later on if you become a fan of the series.

deadfolk

Oct 25, 2017
It really does. They are great for vets (I love speedrunning with the premade sets they give you), but I would never suggest for a newcomer to try one.

This game as a whole isn't very newcomer friendly. It is a celebration of four generations of Monster Hunter which means four generations of awesome boss fights and what not, but it also means four generations of low level fetch quests in the early game. While returning players will generally know which ones are skppable, newcomers would not.

I'd say it would be best to wait for Rise and then try Generations Ultimate later on if you become a fan of the series.
That sounds reasonable. Thanks for the summary.

Nordicus

Oct 29, 2017
Finland
The game's finally on sale again for first time in 7 months, so I decided to jump in. In every MH, I always play Rec Speed HH first, so I picked Valor style to complement it, since it allows me to exploit my red health.

The valor dodges feel so good man.

Nordicus

Oct 29, 2017
Finland
Soon going to face the G-rank opening Diablos. Valor regen HH builds have served me well so far, only Dreadking Rathalos has felt particularly difficult, but that's probably because constant fireblight is complete kryptonite to regen and stops my main method of getting back into the fight quickly.

I am enjoying myself despite the kind of "checklisty" feel of the game, but things are looking kinda weird at end of High Rank.
Some people say "you don't need to farm anything really before G-rank, nothing matters in Low/High rank really, just bulldoze through", but that is not me, and because of this, the way GU has dealt with the endgame of MHGen kinda sucks a bit.

All the content that used to be HR-locked in Gen, is apparently now locked behind the Diablos hunt in GU. All the High Rank elder dragons, hard variants of monsters like metal raths, and some Hyper monster quests, like one for just plain Hyper Blangonga. I've fought several Hyper Tigrexes, what sense does that make?

When the same Diablos quest unlocks G1, with likely easier monsters, any reward you could get from these HR endgame fights feels pointless if they're not the next step in an upgrade tree.

World didn't do this, 4U didn't do this, and I don't think FU did this. Perhaps it is arbitrary and silly to stop here and look around, "just move on to G-rank, what's the big deal", but it was neat to fight monsters like Gold Rathian (whose armor I farmed) and Molten Tigrex, before finally facing Ukanlos to unlock G-rank.

xclk07

Oct 27, 2017
Chicago
Soon going to face the G-rank opening Diablos. Valor regen HH builds have served me well so far, only Dreadking Rathalos has felt particularly difficult, but that's probably because constant fireblight is complete kryptonite to regen and stops my main method of getting back into the fight quickly.

I am enjoying myself despite the kind of "checklisty" feel of the game, but things are looking kinda weird at end of High Rank.
Some people say "you don't need to farm anything really before G-rank, nothing matters in Low/High rank really, just bulldoze through", but that is not me, and because of this, the way GU has dealt with the endgame of MHGen kinda sucks a bit.

All the content that used to be HR-locked in Gen, is apparently now locked behind the Diablos hunt in GU. All the High Rank elder dragons, hard variants of monsters like metal raths, and some Hyper monster quests, like one for just plain Hyper Blangonga. I've fought several Hyper Tigrexes, what sense does that make?

When the same Diablos quest unlocks G1, with likely easier monsters, any reward you could get from these HR endgame fights feels pointless if they're not the next step in an upgrade tree.

World didn't do this, 4U didn't do this, and I don't think FU did this. Perhaps it is arbitrary and silly to stop here and look around, "just move on to G-rank, what's the big deal", but it was neat to fight monsters like Gold Rathian (whose armor I farmed) and Molten Tigrex, before finally facing Ukanlos to unlock G-rank.

I hear you. I am doing G1/G2 and Rank 7 simultaneously because of this. Linear Progression is really not a thing in GU it has seemed.

Ravelle

Oct 31, 2017
Diablos gate keeping G-Rank is super on brand for him, what a dick. There was a certain reason they put him as a last hurdle but I forgot what it was. I love Generations as an All-Star games but dumping pretty much every monster and quest in to one game for sure brought along a messy quest and rank progression.

OP
OP

spiritfox

Oct 26, 2017
Diablos is a new addition to GU (it wasn't in Gen), and is used to bookmark G rank with Bloodbath Diablos on the other side.

Nordicus

Oct 29, 2017
Finland
After trying out each available Deviant fight even just once, the G-rank entry Diablos didn't feel all that threatening by comparison to the toughest of them.

Just maybe a little bit single-minded

Baphomet

Dec 8, 2018
I didn't want to make a new topic but I have some questions :

What would good armor/weapons to get for high rank and G rank for Dual Blades?

Nicko

Oct 25, 2017
Is anyone still playing this? How's the community? Picked it up on the super cheap $10 sale. Currently playing through 4U on 3DS and World on PS5. Considering playing this next on my wait for Wilds.

Don't need to 100% game. Just looking to play through the main story/content and pick up some cool weapons and gear (plus get me some sweet Switch Axe action).

Baphomet

Dec 8, 2018
Is anyone still playing this? How's the community? Picked it up on the super cheap $10 sale. Currently playing through 4U on 3DS and World on PS5. Considering playing this next on my wait for Wilds.

Don't need to 100% game. Just looking to play through the main story/content and pick up some cool weapons and gear (plus get me some sweet Switch Axe action).
Yeah I've always found people quick when I make online sessions.

Toño

One Winged Slayer
Oct 26, 2017
Spain

After the first boring hours of fetch quest the game becomes awesome, filled with great monsters to fight, fun movesets to play, and A LOT of content to spend hours and hours, but if your are here for the story, you'll be disappointed.

Nicko

Oct 25, 2017
After the first boring hours of fetch quest the game becomes awesome, filled with great monsters to fight, fun movesets to play, and A LOT of content to spend hours and hours, but if your are here for the story, you'll be disappointed.

Thanks Baphomet and Tano for the info. By "story" I mean the main "core" progression through quests. I've played many of the older MHs and am aware the stories are pretty darn thin ;-)

I will definitely check it out! Thx all.

Darkstorne

Oct 26, 2017
England
Thanks Baphomet and Tano for the info. By "story" I mean the main "core" progression through quests. I've played many of the older MHs and am aware the stories are pretty darn thin ;-)

I will definitely check it out! Thx all.
So, that depends on what you want from the game really. MHGU is essentially just a celebration of the series up to the point it released. It has no story really. It's the most "boss rush" a MH game has ever been, and it has the largest roster of monsters to hunt. So it's really just bouncing you from one hunt to the next to the next with no down time. It's the perfect game if you ever think "I want a MH game that is 100% about the hunts".

Man God

Oct 25, 2017
The game is a nightmare (ultimate dream?) for completionists though with dozens of repeat quests. I need those checkmarks though.

Pat_DC

Oct 27, 2017
I picked this up during the new year sales and it is amazing! After dabbling on the 3ds titles I liked what I saw but the controls didn't feel great on the hardware, then really got into World before dropping a crazy amount of time into pre sunbreak Rise.

Took a little bit of time to adjust but the content and monsters in this is wild. Really like working out a plan of what weapon and armour to get and working towards it.
Also the fetch quests aren't too bad, I just switch to prowler and knock a quest off here or there as a break. Curious to see how online is but just working through village atm.

Buzzkiller_20

Oct 27, 2017
Me and my Brother bought this 2 days ago. On sale for 10 bucks is a no brainer. Been playing through it together and so far, it seems to be an easier game than Rise. Monsters be dying too fast. They're item management isn't as good as Rise, but overall we're have fun with it. Rise is the only other MH game I've played. I stuck with the Long Sword in that game. Using the Light Bowgun in this one. There's some fantastic Palico gear in this game. It's pretty cool seeing monsters from here that are also in Rise. Amazing that the monsters play pretty identical between both games. Rise just tweaked the animations a bit. So far, it's definitely worth the 10 bucks.

ChrisD

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Low Rank they fall like flies.
Been a while since I played High Rank, I don't recall there. They didn't get swatted immediately at the very least… I seem to remember.

G Rank is where fights actually take some time.

Nordicus

Oct 29, 2017
Finland
Me and my Brother bought this 2 days ago. On sale for 10 bucks is a no brainer. Been playing through it together and so far, it seems to be an easier game than Rise. Monsters be dying too fast.
There's a reason for that.

Monster Hunter games before World didn't have health scaling. So co-op hunting quests in Hub are permanently balanced at around "1.5 players" level. So they'd be doable solo, kinda intended for 2 players, and done really quickly with 3-4.

ChrisD

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017

Monster Hunter games before World didn't have health scaling. So co-op hunting quests in Hub are permanently balanced at around "1.5 players" level. So they'd be doable solo, kinda intended for 2 players, and done really quickly with 3-4.
Oh dang, I forgot that. Am I misremembering though, or was that only for 4U/Gen? Could have sworn it was like 2.5x in Freedom Unite (but things did seem to die quicker in Tri, so maybe it had already scaled down there by that point).

Nordicus

Oct 29, 2017
Finland
Oh dang, I forgot that. Am I misremembering though, or was that only for 4U/Gen? Could have sworn it was like 2.5x in Freedom Unite (but things did seem to die quicker in Tri, so maybe it had already scaled down there by that point).
No, same for Freedom Unite. All Hub fights with equivalent Village ones have between 1.15-1.40x the health and maybe +10% damage. The multiplier is lower on monsters that are already tanky, like Akantor

EDIT: the end of Low Rank seems to be an exception in FU Hub where the bloat is very real and actually like 2x on the big hitter non-Elder enemies

Last edited:

Buzzkiller_20

Oct 27, 2017

I see. I kinda prefer it like that. I love Rise, but I be spending too much time doing one hunt. Then again, some of the monster in this one put up zero fight. Like the Bullfango. My brother and I took him out in less than 5 minutes. I was shocked how easy it was.