• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

KDReyes92

Oct 25, 2017
Just finished every village quest....i've been putting off unlocking g-rank for way too long.

time to go fight a diablos i guess.

Deleted member 30887

User requested account closure.
Banned
Nov 4, 2017
I think I'll be jumping in soon. I'm a bit concerned about the player base. Are there a decent amount op players online? Is it hard finding specific monster farming lobbies?

HeroR

Banned
Dec 10, 2017
I think I'll be jumping in soon. I'm a bit concerned about the player base. Are there a decent amount op players online? Is it hard finding specific monster farming lobbies?

It maybe hard to get rooms for some specific monsters, but I personally never had any real issue finding rooms.

Ogodei

One Winged Slayer
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Coruscant
If you get a good group. Otherwise, they bail, sadly.

I rarely see people bail en masse. A few people who might not be up for a really rough hunt right at that point, but most people will at least give it a game shot.

I got my Rustrazor Armor, btw.

44033738_2247345562006879_2002868667464810496_o.jpg

HeroR

Banned
Dec 10, 2017
I rarely see people bail en masse. A few people who might not be up for a really rough hunt right at that point, but most people will at least give it a game shot.

I got my Rustrazor Armor, btw.

44033738_2247345562006879_2002868667464810496_o.jpg

From my experience, people bail the moment you put up an Urgent even if you helped them with theirs. One of the sickest burns I got was helping two people with an Urgent, I put my up and both people left. I felt so used.

Ogodei

One Winged Slayer
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Coruscant
From my experience, people bail the moment you put up an Urgent even if you helped them with theirs. One of the sickest burns I got was helping two people with an Urgent, I put my up and both people left. I felt so used.

Urgents are a little different, yeah. With Lao and Ahtal-Ka, they're longer and more involved fights and I can excuse people for not being up to it.

For others like Diablos or Valstrax the excuse really isn't there.

Balbanes

Oct 25, 2017
Probably a silly question but does the Discord tailor to all kinds of hunters? Atm I'm only HR 5 and climbing. Are there others on there too?

Most of the people I see most active in the discord are in the end game, but everyone is really friendly and would be willing to help out and hunt with you if you wanted.

Skittzo

Oct 25, 2017
Is multiplayer basically 100% necessary for endgame stuff? I've managed a few 10* Village quests solo fairly easily enough, and I'm working on getting to HR6 at the hub. Right now I think I'm well equipped enough to get to G rank but no idea how I'll fare there solo.

I'm using a Titanic Makra with 210 base damage and 23 fire, and a mix of caenataur and rathalos S armor giving me critical eye 2 and attack up M. Also I've been getting very good at dodging shit with the adept style. Can this build get me into G rank stuff or will I be in serious trouble there?

jahasaja

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Sweden
Is multiplayer basically 100% necessary for endgame stuff? I've managed a few 10* Village quests solo fairly easily enough, and I'm working on getting to HR6 at the hub. Right now I think I'm well equipped enough to get to G rank but no idea how I'll fare there solo.

I'm using a Titanic Makra with 210 base damage and 23 fire, and a mix of caenataur and rathalos S armor giving me critical eye 2 and attack up M. Also I've been getting very good at dodging shit with the adept style. Can this build get me into G rank stuff or will I be in serious trouble there?
I am not very good and have reached G3 (adept LS)

G1 and G2 is surprisingly easy. I used a LS made from bugs and ore all the way to G3. G3 starts to get harder though now it takes 20+ min to finish them off.

There is a good guide on reddit on how to repell Lao (urgent to reach G3).

Skittzo

Oct 25, 2017
I am not very good and have reached G3 (adept LS)

G1 and G2 is surprisingly easy. I used a LS made from bugs and ore all the way to G3. G3 starts to get harder though now it takes 20+ min to finish them off.

There is a good guide on reddit on how to repell Lao (urgent to reach G3).

Great, thanks. Once I get into G1 I think I'll be able to grind out some better gear anyway.

Another thing I'm thinking about doing is building a Silverwind set, do those deviant quests get much harder as they progress? I've been able to do the first and second Silverwind quests fairly easily (albeit with the help of armorskins and demondrugs), does the difficulty ramp up pretty heavily as you advance in those quests?

TheKeipatzy

Oct 30, 2017
California for now
What kind of gun? If you're going for supporting your siblings through low rank than you might want to think about using Prowler, since they provide heals and buffs while still dealing some damage. Otherwise, a status LBG like God's Isle can help to lock down monsters for your siblings to attack. For that you'll want an armor with Status Up and maybe Status Crit. Dreadqueen is pretty decent for that, plus it comes with Wide Range for additional support.

The first few I have done Prowler, though I have a hard time with boomerangs.

As for the gun, I would like something like a status gun, or a part breaker for like the later nakarkos fight. (When I solo, I only broke a few parts before he died. G rank in the other hand....)

Thank you for that recommendation c:

Tigress

Oct 25, 2017
Washington
So I apparently unlocked rainbow pigment but I only just finished the village 5 start urgent quest. I haven't even gotten to high rank quests yet. I would have expected the game to make me go through a lot more to unlock it (especially looking at what world did to make you unlock). I haven't even finished the "story"yet. I'm curious what I did to unlock it.

jahasaja

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Sweden
Great, thanks. Once I get into G1 I think I'll be able to grind out some better gear anyway.

Another thing I'm thinking about doing is building a Silverwind set, do those deviant quests get much harder as they progress? I've been able to do the first and second Silverwind quests fairly easily (albeit with the help of armorskins and demondrugs), does the difficulty ramp up pretty heavily as you advance in those quests?

I have only done one silverwind and I found it harder and longer than G1. I would really not recommend it since you need to reach level 11 to have an armour set that can compete with G1 armour.

As soon as you reach G rank and collect some ore you will be able to craft armour and weapons that are much better than everything that comes before (except for the skills obviously). Also, since G1 and G2 is fairly easy you should not have a hard time getting a good set.

Edit: I spent a looooong time making akantor set and weapon to get ready for g-rank and then it became obsolete almost directly..

Last edited:

Ogodei

One Winged Slayer
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Coruscant
Edit: I spent a looooong time making akantor set and weapon to get ready for g-rank and then it became obsolete almost directly..

That's how it goes, aye. You're better just bumrushing out of High Rank and then working immediately to build a simple monster armor set (Like Tetsucabra, Kecha Wacha, or Royal Ludroth), which can then last you through the end of G2.

Tried Hyper Lagiacrus today with a team. He's more tedious than anything, just relies on repeated electric discharges instead of physical attacks. In my case, I could block them, but he spammed them so much that you still didn't get the kind of openings you needed easily (and I couldn't get Enraged Guard off of the discharges. I tried and got zapped. Enraged Guard definitely works on some energy attacks like Agnaktor's Laser, but not others, like Akantor's beam or Lagiacrus's discharge).

Hybris

Oct 25, 2017
Baton Rouge, Louisiana
That's how it goes, aye. You're better just bumrushing out of High Rank and then working immediately to build a simple monster armor set (Like Tetsucabra, Kecha Wacha, or Royal Ludroth), which can then last you through the end of G2.

Tried Hyper Lagiacrus today with a team. He's more tedious than anything, just relies on repeated electric discharges instead of physical attacks. In my case, I could block them, but he spammed them so much that you still didn't get the kind of openings you needed easily (and I couldn't get Enraged Guard off of the discharges. I tried and got zapped. Enraged Guard definitely works on some energy attacks like Agnaktor's Laser, but not others, like Akantor's beam or Lagiacrus's discharge).
You were probably getting hit from behind or the side. Nothing on Lagi requires guard up but many of the hitboxes have odd/unintuitive directions on them.

Ogodei

One Winged Slayer
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Coruscant
You were probably getting hit from behind or the side. Nothing on Lagi requires guard up but many of the hitboxes have odd/unintuitive directions on them.

Possible, maybe I was slightly changing my stance, because I could definitely block them (I do have Guard Up anyway, standard on my now two Lance sets, Agnaktor and Rustrazor).

NoKisum

Nov 11, 2017
DMV Area, USA
Still pretty young to this game, just accessed 3* missions, but I'm having plenty of fun.

Is it possible to cosmetically change equipment? Wanted to at least keep headgear off.

Ogodei

One Winged Slayer
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Coruscant
Got OHKO'd twice by Hyper Malfestio's wing-swipe attack. A wakeup call to push towards maxing out my Agnaktor X armor.

A problem with being a lancer at the elite levels is you really can't fuck up because the best Lance armor doesn't get to quite that elite DEF level. Unless I'm facing fire enemies (Agnaktor X) or Water enemies (Rustrazor) anyway.

And now it's maintenance time :-/

Skittzo

Oct 25, 2017
Again for some reason Google is failing me, where exactly do you get pristine ore? I'm guessing it's from the Mewstress in exchange for horns coins but right now I don't see an option to trade for it. I'm still in G1*, how do I unlock pristine ore?

Ogodei

One Winged Slayer
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Coruscant
Again for some reason Google is failing me, where exactly do you get pristine ore? I'm guessing it's from the Mewstress in exchange for horns coins but right now I don't see an option to trade for it. I'm still in G1*, how do I unlock pristine ore?

I believe so, it may take an extra HR or two to unlock, her inventory slowly expands as you go.

What is it used for? I never figured out what the tickets and ores she sold were any good for.

BennyWhatever

Oct 27, 2017
US
Yeah, you just need to keep grinding through G rank. I think pristine ore shows up around G2 or G3.

Skittzo

Oct 25, 2017
Yeah, you just need to keep grinding through G rank. I think pristine ore shows up around G2 or G3.

Gotcha, thanks.

I believe so, it may take an extra HR or two to unlock, her inventory slowly expands as you go.

What is it used for? I never figured out what the tickets and ores she sold were any good for.

For some G rank armor upgrades. Specifically I'm looking at building at set of Ceanataur GX armor which requires it.

Last edited:

Animus Vox

Oct 30, 2017
NYC
Are mixed sets really better than full Neset? I keep hearing that argument, but soon after I finished my Neset set, I was able to build a Crit set with little effort. Neset just seems so versatile for any build.

Frankish

Oct 25, 2017
USA
Neset is versatile but you can always build better, more tailored mixed sets. Google Athena's Armor Set Search, use that to build the perfect set. No matter what you come up with on your own, Athena always finds something better lol.

In particular, the Rare 10 hyper armors seem to be intended for mixed sets. You often see individual pieces with +8 in one skill . . . Obviously having a bunch of pieces with that much in several skills will produce a really loaded set.

For example my crit set has expert 3, chain crit, crit boost, and handicraft 2. With a crit weapon, almost every single hit is a critical, and with crit boost it is a crazy damage boost. With my Switch axe set, I can use a really high raw weapon with no affinity, but with the energy charge skill my affinity still reaches 95%.

Last edited:

tuffy

Oct 25, 2017
As a real example, I've got a Tenderizer +4, Pierce Up +2, 2 slot charm. With full Neset, I can get Critical Boost, Pierce Up, Shot Booster and Weakness Exploit (in addition to the Neset-specific skills). That's pretty good! But with a mixed set of parts, I can also work in Attack Up (S) and it also has 36 more points of defense. So that's even better.

Neset can really take advantage of good charms and I'll often reach for it for lesser-used armor sets, but a mixed set will always be able to do just a little bit better.

BennyWhatever

Oct 27, 2017
US
Neset's great if you want an above average set with minimal grinding.
Mixed sets are great if you want an amazing set with lots of grinding.

Ogodei

One Winged Slayer
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Coruscant
Lucked into an Ukanlos room and got exactly what I needed out of the one run (two digger+ for my ice lance and two Great Wyvern Gems for my fire lance).

Suddenly finishing my weapons this week (just got Dark Souls in the mail but we're going into extra innings) seems more attainable.

Needed:
- Hyper Malfestio feather
- Hyper Rathalos Scale
- Rathalos Mantle (yes, this is what'll screw me)
- Hyper Potent Toxin
- Hyper Barioth Pelt
- A bunch of Nakarkos stuff.

Ended up in a Fatalis room randomly yesterday, so me and my just-sub-700 armor are doing lots of impressive stuff.

tuffy

Oct 25, 2017
Needed:
- Rathalos Mantle (yes, this is what'll screw me)
Fortunately, there is a Veggie Elder trade of VE Cosmic Tickets for Rathalos Mantles at the Volcano. So if you play with the same group of people enough (and trade those Guild Cards), you're guaranteed to get one eventually.

Sunny

Oct 25, 2017
hey all,

i haven't played an old school monhun game since 4U and am still kinda rusty from world. but am i right in saying that i don't need to complete village quests to unlock higher ranks in the online hub?

tuffy

Oct 25, 2017
hey all,

i haven't played an old school monhun game since 4U and am still kinda rusty from world. but am i right in saying that i don't need to complete village quests to unlock higher ranks in the online hub?
That's correct. Village and Hub progression are separate. Though there are some really handy unlocks tied to Villager Requests on the Village side, so it is useful to get to them at some point.

BloodshotX

Jan 25, 2018
question, im now at 7* quests in the village, what is the best time to upgrade to a high rank armor set? at the end of 7 or 8? enemies dont do much damage with my current low rank gear.

Also what is the difference between the S and X armor?