• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

tuffy

Oct 25, 2017
question, im now at 7* quests in the village, what is the best time to upgrade to a high rank armor set? at the end of 7 or 8? enemies dont do much damage with my current low rank gear.
The Village 7 and 8 star monsters are a bit on the weak side, but the 9 star quests are more difficult and also have more promising candidates for worthwhile armor sets. You'll probably be able to hold off until then so long as you pump enough spheres into your low rank set.
Also what is the difference between the S and X armor?
S and R armor are high rank. X, GX, and XR armor are G rank.

BloodshotX

Jan 25, 2018
The Village 7 and 8 star monsters are a bit on the weak side, but the 9 star quests are more difficult and also have more promising candidates for worthwhile armor sets. You'll probably be able to hold off until then so long as you pump enough spheres into your low rank set.

S and R armor are high rank. X, GX, and XR armor are G rank.

I already pumped my armor full adv armor spheres as soon as i could mine those in 7, the next one is hard armr sphere, i know that bc you can get 30something from the free dlc. But i kinda doubt i wanna put them into a low set.

Any difference between S and R (high rank) armor?

I do have to say that 6 if we only look at damage taken is pretty much on par or maybe even harder than 7 for me.

tuffy

Oct 25, 2017
Any difference between S and R (high rank) armor?
R armor has its skill points distributed lopsidedly and is designed to be used in mixed sets. However, you will need to do a quest chain to unlock it if you haven't already.
I do have to say that 6 if we only look at damage taken is pretty much on par or maybe even harder than 7 for me.
Originally Generations only went up to 6 star Village quests, so some of the quests there were meant more as "endgame" content with high rank gear in mind. But now that Generations Ultimate has a proper high rank quest progression, the 7 star tier can often feel easier than 6.

BloodshotX

Jan 25, 2018
R armor has its skill points distributed lopsidedly and is designed to be used in mixed sets. However, you will need to do a quest chain to unlock it if you haven't already.

Originally Generations only went up to 6 star Village quests, so some of the quests there were meant more as "endgame" content with high rank gear in mind. But now that Generations Ultimate has a proper high rank quest progression, the 7 star tier can often feel easier than 6.
does the high rank armor look the same as the low rank ones? for instance im using a gammoth helm. Will the Gammoth Helm S/R look the same. Or are there some noticeable differences in design?

tuffy

Oct 25, 2017
does the high rank armor look the same as the low rank ones? for instance im using a gammoth helm. Will the Gammoth Helm S/R look the same. Or are there some noticeable differences in design?
It depends on the monster. Most low and high rank sets look the same (and Gammoth is no exception), but G rank often has a different design.

Ogodei

One Winged Slayer
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Coruscant
One embarrassing run of Nakarkos where I carted once (though not on the final one) and got booted by the room host as soon as we were done. Totally on me, I completely forgot how to run that.

One glorious run of Hyper Rathalos with a gunner so competent the rest of us barely needed to do anything. Unlucky cat at the start of the fight, but got literally everything I needed out of the hunt again (Hyper Shard, Hyper Toxin, and a freaking Mantle).

So now all that remains:
-Freehunt Remobra
-Freehunt Gendrome
-Hyper Barioth
-Hyper Malfestio
-Nakarkos

This is very attainable.

Maybe some Hyper Agnaktor to max out my current armor.

Redcrayon

Patient hunter
On Break
Oct 27, 2017
UK
One embarrassing run of Nakarkos where I carted once (though not on the final one) and got booted by the room host as soon as we were done. Totally on me, I completely forgot how to run that.

One glorious run of Hyper Rathalos with a gunner so competent the rest of us barely needed to do anything. Unlucky cat at the start of the fight, but got literally everything I needed out of the hunt again (Hyper Shard, Hyper Toxin, and a freaking Mantle).

So now all that remains:
-Freehunt Remobra
-Freehunt Gendrome
-Hyper Barioth
-Hyper Malfestio
-Nakarkos

This is very attainable.

I always find it a bit silly that people get booted for carting once, everyone makes mistakes and in the endgame you're often only 1-2 hits away from death, an unlucky status effect/stun combined with a attack can finish you off easily. I've booted someone for shouting that another person should leave because they carted before.

F31 Leopard

Oct 30, 2017

There is no Gammoth R. But to answer your question S and R armors look different. Kirin S and R is an example.

Last edited:

BennyWhatever

Oct 27, 2017
US

So now all that remains:
-Freehunt Remobra
-Freehunt Gendrome
-Hyper Barioth
-Hyper Malfestio
-Nakarkos

This is very attainable.

Yeah weird that someone booted you after 1 cart. I cart all the time. Even in HR sometimes, since gunner G Rank gear still doesn't have great defense.
Late game G Rank, there are common moves that can literally 1-shot a gunner.

Puroresu_kid

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Why is it that I can have tranqs bombs in my item list but when I'm doing missions they are not avaliable in my pouch?

Redcrayon

Patient hunter
On Break
Oct 27, 2017
UK
Why is it that I can have tranqs bombs in my item list but when I'm doing missions they are not avaliable in my pouch?
You need to place things in your pouch seperately as there is limited space for what you can carry, you can also set up item sets to auto-replace your pouch contents from the stock in your item box. Go to your item box, take out everything you want in your pouch, then use the menu options to mark it as a set.

Or perhaps youve used them but not restocked your pouch from your item box? What I do is use a page of my item box as a 'ready room' that is arranged to have all my regular items in the same order across the top as I usually have them in my pouch- potions, steaks, whetstones, farcaster, paintballs, traps, tranqs, etc. Further down is more specific stuff like flash bombs, hot/cold drinks, antidotes, lifepowder, mega dash juice, etc. Before each hunt I just go to that page and restock my pouch from there.

Deleted member 9479

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
You need to place things in your pouch seperately as there is limited space for what you can carry, you can also set up item sets to auto-replace your pouch contents from the stock in your item box. Go to your item box, take out everything you want in your pouch, then use the menu options to mark it as a set.

Or perhaps youve used them but not restocked your pouch from your item box? What I do is use a page of my item box as a 'ready room' that is arranged to have all my regular items in the same order across the top as I usually have them in my pouch- potions, steaks, whetstones, farcaster, paintballs, traps, tranqs, etc. Further down is more specific stuff like flash bombs, hot/cold drinks, antidotes, lifepowder, mega dash juice, etc. Before each hunt I just go to that page and restock my pouch from there.

You don't use item sets?

Redcrayon

Patient hunter
On Break
Oct 27, 2017
UK
You don't use item sets?
I tend to make them on an ad-hoc basis if im going to be fighting the same thing for a while, like when I was working on my Dreadking armour. Otherwise, I just restock each time as I tend to leave a few spots open for tailored items, like sushifish vs seregios etc. The reason I do it is that I've found the habit of restocking after choosing a quest means Im more likely to remember tailored item picks like antidotes etc. It's cool that theres lot of approaches to this though.

Deleted member 9479

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
I tend to make them on an ad-hoc basis if im going to be fighting the same thing for a while, like when I was working on my Dreadking armour. Otherwise, I just restock each time as I tend to leave a few spots open for tailored items, like sushifish vs seregios etc. The reason I do it is that I've found the habit of restocking after choosing a quest means Im more likely to remember tailored item picks like antidotes etc. It's cool that theres lot of approaches to this though.

Yeah, interesting. I don't use a lot of custom item lists either, I really just have two: one with the basics, one with literally nothing but charms for prowler runs (because it's easier than dumping my whole pouch indicidually) when switching. Likewise tho if I'm farming something I'll make a one-off list that is basically my standard plus extra items, and that one gets regularly overwritten to whatever the new farm is.

tuffy

Oct 25, 2017
What I like to do for my main item sets is to "overpack" them with things like Hot Drinks, Cold Drinks, Antidotes, etc. Then, before a hunt, I'll put back any items that aren't applicable. For instance, on an Elder Dragon hunt I'll put my traps and tranqs back in the box. That way if I accidentally forget, I'm liable to have more items than I need rather than not enough.

Deleted member 9479

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
What I like to do for my main item sets is to "overpack" them with things like Hot Drinks, Cold Drinks, Antidotes, etc. Then, before a hunt, I'll put back any items that aren't applicable. For instance, on an Elder Dragon hunt I'll put my traps and tranqs back in the box. That way if I accidentally forget, I'm liable to have more items than I need rather than not enough.

Yeah I kinda do that too for elder dragons and trap supplies - honestly never thought for things like drinks/antidotes/etc.

Redcrayon

Patient hunter
On Break
Oct 27, 2017
UK
That's smart, I like that! :-)

BennyWhatever

Oct 27, 2017
US
This is exactly what I do! I have a "Standard" blademaster set and "Standard" sets for each bowgun, and they are all overpacked with stuff. It makes casual hunts so easy. Then on "serious mode" hunts I'll put stuff back in order to stock up on things like demondrug and armorskin and stuff.

Puroresu_kid

Banned
Oct 28, 2017

I have them in my pouch and have free spaces but still once I start the mission tranqs bombs not avaliable to use

Corporal

Oct 27, 2017
For hesitating people :

The EU sale is slightly better even, at 30% off as part of Nintendo's "gaming on the go" sale.

42€ is okay for this game, I guess.

For some reason I just can't hype myself up to play this on my switch, though. I wonder why, I loved my impromptu MonHan sessions on the n3DS. Then again, my interest waned ever-so-slightly with each successive follow-up to 4U, so I guess I'm just burnt out on beating dinosaurs with a giant hammer. Still, now that it's sitting on my home screen all passive-aggressive like, I might recapture the old magic.

JNH

Oct 27, 2017
France
Oh you're right I didn't see the EU one.

For your burn out, maybe in multiplayer + unfamiliar weapon can awaken your interest.

Rhaknar

Oct 26, 2017
legit excited to get this in the EU sale, I played world for 200+ hours early this year, all the losses of quality of life really scare me, but the gameplay looks great, and I only intend to play it portable so the smaller zones and graphics dont really bother me, since for me its a portable game.

will have a million questions, apologise in advance.

BloodshotX

Jan 25, 2018
legit excited to get this in the EU sale, I played world for 200+ hours early this year, all the losses of quality of life really scare me, but the gameplay looks great, and I only intend to play it portable so the smaller zones and graphics dont really bother me, since for me its a portable game.

its not as big of a fallback as you might think. I dont know if you ever played one of the older monster hunter games. But in comparison to tri the game has tighter controls, traps can be dismantled so you dont have to wait 10 minutes for it to deactivate bf placing a new one.

And if you really want to go to the fight immediately, bulk up on psycoserums or invest is the psychic skill(thats probably later in the game) serums will display the monster on the map for 30 seconds so you have a ballpark of where he is and psychic skill does the same but permanent iirc

Ravelle

Oct 31, 2017

The lack of QoL stuff is quickly replaced with the ease and quickness of finding and starting quests, cute and funny NPC dialogue that adds a lot of character, the amount of armor and weapons and differerent elements you can experience with and the massive amount of monsters and its variants. Plus all the palico's with different abilitieies and looks!

I hope this sale invites in more folks because there aren't that many rooms being made in multiplayer.

Rhaknar

Oct 26, 2017
its not as big of a fallback as you might think. I dont know if you ever played one of the older monster hunter games. But in comparison to tri the game has tighter controls, traps can be dismantled so you dont have to wait 10 minutes for it to deactivate bf placing a new one.

And if you really want to go to the fight immediately, bulk up on psycoserums or invest is the psychic skill(thats probably later in the game) serums will display the monster on the map for 30 seconds so you have a ballpark of where he is and psychic skill does the same but permanent iirc

World was my first MonHun game ever.

Watching GU weapon tutorial videos and they seem pretty identical to world for the most part, I thought they would lose more stuff. Like, Longsword doesnt have the anime style "jump up and come crashing down" thing for example, but the rest seems identical, and between the different styles and the super moves or whatever they are called, it more than makes up for it at a glance.

Can you still be tanky as fuck with a Lance like you could in World? The bulk of my playtime was playing Lance and just tanking everything in the game because, well I suck and couldnt dodge for shit (I actually really liked the lance tho, gameplay wise, reminded me of how I play dark souls). By the end of my gametime with it I had switched over to Longsword, so those will probably be what I focus on here aswell.

Redcrayon

Patient hunter
On Break
Oct 27, 2017
UK
World was my first MonHun game ever.

Watching GU weapon tutorial videos and they seem pretty identical to world for the most part, I thought they would lose more stuff. Like, Longsword doesnt have the anime style "jump up and come crashing down" thing for example, but the rest seems identical, and between the different styles and the super moves or whatever they are called, it more than makes up for it at a glance.

Can you still be tanky as fuck with a Lance like you could in World? The bulk of my playtime was playing Lance and just tanking everything in the game because, well I suck and couldnt dodge for shit (I actually really liked the lance tho, gameplay wise, reminded me of how I play dark souls). By the end of my gametime with it I had switched over to Longsword, so those will probably be what I focus on here aswell.
Yeah, I mainly play as a lancer with tank builds, although in gens I go aerial style and if I don't like the situation I'm in, I just go over the top to evade instead! Also I tend to pop dash juice to stop my stamina depleting in fights where I suspect I'm going to take multiple heavy hits in short order.

Deleted member 4198

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
You can tank with lance, although I like playing evade lance more personally. Try using Evade +2 as an easy mode dodge assist!

Rhaknar

Oct 26, 2017
Ton of shit to get from the downloads section. Just sold all those eggs (I assume that like in world thats all they are for) and now im rich.

Gimme all the help in the world i dont care, much like the Souls games, ill take all the cheese you send my way lol.

Edit: ok so i bought full stacks of pickaxes, whetstones, bug nets and potions ad i know these "break" in this game, i cant seem to find thw famous paintballs to mark monsters tho.

I bought these two "combo books", are these like those World items that you kept in your inventory to passively gain stats?

Also got my Palicos, didnt know you used two in this one. Guess im all good to try a hunt after a meal.

Last edited:

Redcrayon

Patient hunter
On Break
Oct 27, 2017
UK
Ton of shit to get from the downloads section. Just sold all those eggs (I assume that like in world thats all they are for) and now im rich.

Gimme all the help in the world i dont care, much like the Souls games, ill take all the cheese you send my way lol.

Edit: ok so i bought full stacks of pickaxes, whetstones, bug nets and potions ad i know these "break" in this game, i cant seem to find thw famous paintballs to mark monsters tho.

I bought these two "combo books", are these like those World items that you kept in your inventory to passively gain stats?

Also got my Palicos, didnt know you used two in this one. Guess im all good to try a hunt after a meal.
Yeah, buy all combo books and keep them in your item box, they increase chance of combo success. For paintballs (sap plant + paintberry) and other craftables, it's worth going to your combo list and just experimenting with what can be combined with what. I'd just make one of everything to fill out your combo book. It's worth prioritising any villager requests as that'll help increase your food and farming options, which will in turn give you more options to help beat quests (felyne lander is great for eggstraction quests as it stops you dropping eggs, felyne insurance is great for your online urgents as it ignores the first party faint) and let you mass produce sap plant, honey etc. Also you can always grab the paintballs from the item box at the start of a quest at low rank to stock up.

Redcrayon

Patient hunter
On Break
Oct 27, 2017
UK
Oh you can keep those combo books in the item box, not carry with you?
You need to carry them if you want their bonus in the field, for less chance of failure when making more traps and upgrading potions to mega potions on the fly (I think), but if you are mainly doing your combos at home just leave in the box.

banter

Jan 12, 2018
Oh you can keep those combo books in the item box, not carry with you?
You need to carry them if you want their bonus in the field, for less chance of failure when making more traps and upgrading potions to mega potions on the fly (I think), but if you are mainly doing your combos at home just leave in the box.
Yeah, I keep mine in the box. I don't find myself needing to craft during quests that often and when I do it's stuff that's very prevalent like potions or mega potions that already have high % and materials readily available so it isn't a big deal if I fail the craft.

Redcrayon

Patient hunter
On Break
Oct 27, 2017
UK
I think the only time I've crafted anything in the field in Gens is a single trap after a monster kept fleeing on a G-rank capture quest, and even then it was only a back-up plan after bungled solo play by me. That's once in ~300 hours of play across Gens and GU.

Rhaknar

Oct 26, 2017
I thought combo books were for weapon combos lol (as in x,x,a), i get it now. Actually just did a training mission that explained it. Guess ill get these out of the way no harm in doing them.

Really good first impressions tho, and i havent even been on a hunt. I mean I loved World and played it for 200+ hours so realistically there shiuld be no reason to be "afraid" of this, even with the qol changes (or lack there of).

Just from thwse training missions and just the overall feel of the game i can already tell ill love it. Here come another 200 hours i guess /shrug

Last edited:

Redcrayon

Patient hunter
On Break
Oct 27, 2017
UK
I thought combo books were for weapon combos lol (as in x,x,a), i get it now. Actually just did a training mission that explained it. Guess ill get these out of the way no harm in doing them.

Really good first impressions tho, and i havent even been on a hunt. I mean I loved World and played it for 200+ hours so realistically there shiuld be no reason to be "afraid" of this, even with the qol changes (or lack there of).
GU is absolutely packed with stuff to do. Between the low rank campaign, high rank campaign, online low/high/G, arena, deviants, prowler quests and mini games and more, there's easily hundreds of hours of content. My advice is, once you've picked up the basics and can take down a big monster alone, jump online and learn by doing. Even then, it's worth doing a bit of everything (by focusing on requests) to keep expanding your food/farm options.

BennyWhatever

Oct 27, 2017
US
OMG Now I really want there to be weapon combos (like x,x,a) that you can only use if you have the combo book in your inventory. There can be a special page for combo books like ammo.
Capcom, make it happen.

Redcrayon

Patient hunter
On Break
Oct 27, 2017
UK
I dont have nintendo online. But i also didnt have PS+ i did all of World solo.
That's alright, the low/high rank SP campaigns will keep you busy for a while, and you can access all the online content in offline single player anyway. It gets tougher to push forward alone once you reach G3, but having two cats that keep levelling up and that you can keep upgrading equipment for with your offcuts helps a lot in terms of aggro to allow you to focus on damage output.

Rhaknar

Oct 26, 2017
do you only have 20 seconds to carve monsters or is that just for these training missions? That's even harsher than World >_>

Zephon

Dec 10, 2017
Just got the game for the switch and feel pretty lost. I did the tutorial for the greatsword styles and all of them looked and played exactly the same except for aerial style. I thought each style played differently.
Any good YouTube videos that explain styles and arts?

Rhaknar

Oct 26, 2017
It's ordinarily 60 seconds for carving, or only 20 seconds if you've captured the monster and don't need to carve.

ah ok same as world then, must have been just for the training mission :D

Just got the game for the switch and feel pretty lost. I did the tutorial for the greatsword styles and all of them looked and played exactly the same except for aerial style. I thought each style played differently.
Any good YouTube videos that explain styles and arts?

Also search for Gaijin Hunter on youtube.

edit: not gonna lie fam, starting you off with a bunch of gathering quests is not the best first impression :/

Last edited:
OP
OP

spiritfox

Oct 26, 2017
Yeah, the worst part of GU is the amount of gathering quests you have to go through in the beginning. But keep in mind that a lot of quests are optional. Look up the key quests for Generations that's basically the mainline quests needed to progress.

Rhaknar

Oct 26, 2017
so I see ZR + Button for Arts in a lot of videos, and I need to find out how to change it to do because the default of using the d-pad for hunter arts is horrible.

edit: hmm its ZL actually, ZL + X, A or B. But now I dont know how to focus the camera on monsters, since it used to be ZL to change to "focus camera" or whatever its called, and then tap L to look at the monster :/

Last edited: