• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

spiritfox

Oct 26, 2017
pMJocXE.jpg

Platform:
Nintendo Switch
Developer: Capcpom
Genre: Beat the shit out of monsters Hunting Action
Release Date: August 28, 2018
Price: US$59.99 (Amazon)

What's New
  • G Rank: G Rank returns to Generations, and it's the G Rank you know and love. Monsters now hit like a prehistoric truck and will easily cart you if you're not prepared. But in return you get to craft the best weapons and armor in the game.
  • 2 New Styles: Valor and Alchemy Styles are the new additions to GU, raising the total number of available styles to 6. Valor is a high risk, high reward style that takes away some moves from your weapon in normal mode. But when you charge up the Valor bar, you can gain back all your moves and unleash new, more powerful ones. Alchemy is a support style, where you gain an Alchemy Barrel to craft unique items in a hunt. These items can heal allies, damage monsters, and provide buffs to yourself and your allies.
  • New & Returning Monsters: Valstrax is the new flagship Elder Dragon and the new boss of GU. But that's not all. The other Fated Four join Glavenus with their deviant subspecies, and so does Ceanataur, Malfestio, and new returning monster Diablos. Speaking of returning monsters, series favorites like Nerscylla, Barioth, and Barroth make their appearance in GU too.
  • Armor Fusion (Glamoring): You can now fuse other armor parts with whatever armor you're wearing as cosmetics. Unlike World, you're not limited to a select few cosmetic sets. Instead, as long as you have the part, you can use it as a cosmetic armor. No more wearing ugly mixed sets just to get the best skills, but note that it'll fuse the other part into the target part so it'll be unavailable until you unfuse it.

FAQs
  • I've played Monster Hunter World...
    Let me stop you before you say anything else and watch this informative video:
  • Can I import my saves from Generations?
    Yes, with the MHGU Save Transfer App on the 3DS. However, you cannot import saves from the Japanese MHX or MHXX.
  • What are the key quests in GU?
    Gaijinhunter to the rescue again:
    HR Village Key Quests
    G Rank Key Quests
  • It looks kind of ugly/dated...
    It's a HD port of a 3DS game, what did you expect.

Pretty Pictures

Useful Links

Last edited:

nick_b

Dec 10, 2017
I've been waiting for this thread to pop up all day. Can't wait to get off work and transfer my save over.

Platy

Oct 25, 2017
Brazil
A friend of mine loves the psp like monster world games where it takes half an hour to fight a monster alone. He is even kinda against the cats helping if I understood that right.

How much of this game NEEDS for you to have help ?

OP
OP

spiritfox

Oct 26, 2017
Sorry if it's a little barebones, I just threw it up in an hour. If there's anything you want to add just ask.

Shinrou

Oct 28, 2017
Finland
Excited to jump back into Gen, although I had some adjusting to do while trying out the demo after playing World for so long. The thing that's mostly throwing me off is that I instinctively try to use right trigger for moves. Also I got used to sheathing with shoulder button even though I remember I never did that for like 50 hours into World. Probably hardest thing is that I'm juggling MHW and MHGU back and forth like on daily basis so it's making things harder to get used to.

Anyway, really excited for getting back into the classic MonHun to keep things fresh! Picking up a second Switch, two MHGU's and one controller today and we shall start conquering this beast with my SO.

jorgejjvr

Banned
Oct 31, 2017
Got my game early today on Monday! It was great seeing my hunter from generations in HD, got my butt handed to me a bit already, and I just started g rank.

Looking forward to playing with era.

See you all at the discord!

Jeremy

Oct 25, 2017
It's very soloable, if MHG is anything to judge by (which it is).

That being said, in some ways the online interface is better on this Switch version than in MHW.

Redcrayon

Patient hunter
On Break
Oct 27, 2017
UK
Hopefully my copy is arriving tomorrow, then on Thursday I'll be transferring my save from 3DS. Have been looking forward to this!

Gamer @ Heart

Oct 26, 2017
I weep at my 300 lost hours in generations. I legit would pay ransom to whomever stole my 3ds last year so I could transfer that file.

All those hours on devients. I don't know if I could do it again

CarthOhNoes

Someone is plagiarizing this post
Oct 25, 2017
Just started and working through the training quests. Feels good so far! Transporting quests scare me though, they don't sound fun!

Jeremy

Oct 25, 2017
For those who have only played MHW, I definitely recommend just looking at a FAQ to see what the key quests are and just focusing on those to begin with, with the exception of when you're trying to farm an armor set.

Martl

Oct 30, 2017
Austria
Did a few village quest yesterday and will start with guild quests today. Already played XX alot, but playing english is so much better.

Too bad i can't transfer my stat from XX to GU :(

Kanhir

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
After playing XX for a year and then World for 7 months, it really feels like coming home. The weapons feel a bit slower, but the popping colours and exciting soundtrack really make all the difference.

I played XX as Adept/Brave HBG, and I'm doing my GU playthrough as Valor HH. What's everyone else doing?

DrMyster

One Winged Slayer
Dec 26, 2017
I weep at my 300 lost hours in generations. I legit would pay ransom to whomever stole my 3ds last year so I could transfer that file.

All those hours on devients. I don't know if I could do it again
I feel your pain man, my 3ds and games were stolen about a year ago aswell. 240 hours in generations, and 400 hours in 4 ultimate, all gone.

Barn

Oct 27, 2017
Los Angeles
The game is up on the U.S. eShop, in PST.

I told myself I didn't need this, but now that Monster Hunter has been out on Switch for 3 minutes, I am downloading it.

I am the king of self control.

Jun 6, 2018
For any Aussies the physical copy of the game is 79 at big w. Just picked it up and played for about an hour. Really excited to have a Switch MH Companion game next to MHW PC. Monster Hunter has taken over my life.

wesman

Oct 30, 2017
Pittsburgh
The game is up on the U.S. eShop, in PST.

I told myself I didn't need this, but now that Monster Hunter has been out on Switch for 3 minutes, I am downloading it.

I am the king of self control.

Yargh, resisting for hard copy tomorrrooooooow!!!

Nintendo just released a trailer too! Haven't found any reviews yet though.

Vuze

Oct 25, 2017
I got a gifted code for the game but no Switch and it seems because of that I can't even redeem it :( Feels bad. Hope it doesn't expire
I didn't like Generations very much but still tempted by some old school MH. I just hope they UI is resizable on TV because the stream I watched last night made it seem overwhelmingly huge. Like, optimized for handheld and not even touched for TV.

Oct 25, 2017
After playing XX for a year and then World for 7 months, it really feels like coming home. The weapons feel a bit slower, but the popping colours and exciting soundtrack really make all the difference.

I played XX as Adept/Brave HBG, and I'm doing my GU playthrough as Valor HH. What's everyone else doing?
Great Sword, not sure the style.