• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Rhaknar

Oct 26, 2017
Gen is an all-star type roster, but it released long before World did, so it doesn't include those. World's roster has a good chunk of new monsters.

I did not know that, why was I under the assumption that all the monsters in world were old... I guess im confusing it with all the weapons were old. My bad fam.

Btw, you guys have no idea how into this I am atm. Well, I mean, you probably do have an idea (lol) but damn, its like that unhealthy "I need to play more" feeling, I cant stop.

BennyWhatever

Oct 27, 2017
US
I did not know that, why was I under the assumption that all the monsters in world were old... I guess im confusing it with all the weapons were old. My bad fam.

Btw, you guys have no idea how into this I am atm. Well, I mean, you probably do have an idea (lol) but damn, its like that unhealthy "I need to play more" feeling, I cant stop.
This feeling is perfectly normal. It is unlikely to pass until you're at HR473 and have defeated every mission in the game and gold-crowned all deviants.

FLCL

Oct 27, 2017

I feel the same way! It's hard to stop!

Tried the Valor style today and yup it's a lot of fun :D

Rhaknar

Oct 26, 2017
trying to branch out from Greatsword and having a hard time, nothing is really clicking with me. I dont really want to use the ranged weapons, I did that a bit in World and never really jelled wth it (Bow was cool tho), most of my time in World was spent with Lance and Gunlance, and then the last few hours around when I stopped I was using Longsword.

This one I started off with Longsword, but im having a real hard time landing the spirit combo in this one compared to World for some reason, and the lack of helmbreaker is a real kick in the groin for the weapon for me, not only did it look awesome, but I felt it gave the whole "build meter" process a purpose, you build spirit meter for damage until red and then spend meter for the big finish, rinse and repeat. Without the big finish, the whole thing feels weird to me. Granted I havent gone back and tried Aeriel or Valor with it, as my first few hours with the game were mostly spent in guild/striker which was the closest to World.

I also tried a bit of Lance and Gunlance and neither felt as good as World for me. I dunno, maybe Im just after new things this time around, I fell in love with Greatsword which I hated in World and barely touched, so who knows whats going on lol. With that being said, I never got around to trying Switch Axe and Charge Blade in World, so maybe they will click with me here.Im watching some tutorial videos but its one thing to see the combos, its another to understand the flow of the weapon. For example, Switch Axe: is the idea to use axe mode to build meter, and then when its full just use sword mode until its empty, and then repeat the process? What about that elemental discharge, when do you use that?

Charge Blade looks even weirder (kinda why I never got around to trying it in World), I do like the simplicity of the Greatsword, but I dont mind something a bit more complex, as long as it "clicks".

BennyWhatever

Oct 27, 2017
US
trying to branch out from Greatsword and having a hard time, nothing is really clicking with me. I dont really want to use the ranged weapons, I did that a bit in World and never really jelled wth it (Bow was cool tho), most of my time in World was spent with Lance and Gunlance, and then the last few hours around when I stopped I was using Longsword.

This one I started off with Longsword, but im having a real hard time landing the spirit combo in this one compared to World for some reason, and the lack of helmbreaker is a real kick in the groin for the weapon for me, not only did it look awesome, but I felt it gave the whole "build meter" process a purpose, you build spirit meter for damage until red and then spend meter for the big finish, rinse and repeat. Without the big finish, the whole thing feels weird to me. Granted I havent gone back and tried Aeriel or Valor with it, as my first few hours with the game were mostly spent in guild/striker which was the closest to World.

I also tried a bit of Lance and Gunlance and neither felt as good as World for me. I dunno, maybe Im just after new things this time around, I fell in love with Greatsword which I hated in World and barely touched, so who knows whats going on lol. With that being said, I never got around to trying Switch Axe and Charge Blade in World, so maybe they will click with me here.Im watching some tutorial videos but its one thing to see the combos, its another to understand the flow of the weapon. For example, Switch Axe: is the idea to use axe mode to build meter, and then when its full just use sword mode until its empty, and then repeat the process? What about that elemental discharge, when do you use that?

Charge Blade looks even weirder (kinda why I never got around to trying it in World), I do like the simplicity of the Greatsword, but I dont mind something a bit more complex, as long as it "clicks".
Charge Blade has a pretty big barrier of entry in that you really need to spend some time watching youtube videos and reading to understand everything it can do. It took me several hours to figure it out, but I really like it now that I know the fundamentals. I use Adept on it because I like Adept Guarding things.

Valor Long Sword is insanely good. You get this really cool "counter" when in valor mode that can completely break some monsters (like that big fire t-rex you encountered earlier).

masaa

Oct 27, 2017
France
For what it's worth, I found Aerial/Valor LS the most fun of all the styles available, but I've mostly switched to Hunting Horn now. Getting more arts might also help with it.

Just had a really stupid fight against a Rustrazor Caenataur in the volcano. Once it was ready for capture, it fled 10 times in a row, doing laps around areas 3, 5, 6, 7. It was so dumb and we wasted 2 traps in the process but the group I was with still had a good laugh in the end.

Talking about maps, is there any list of shortcuts available anywhere? Think I have most of them, but I can never be too sure.

I know of the ones in:
- Desert
- Not sure if the one in the dunes in still there but it wasn't really useful anyway.
- Primal forest
- Ruined pinnacle
And I think that's it?

Last edited:

FLCL

Oct 27, 2017
When playing with randoms/solo how should I tackle farming for gear? With the lack of SOS flare I find it really hard to find a group to go for certain monsters. There are a lot of groups but they usually either go for key quests or farm monsters I don't need.
I tried to start my own group but the people that joined asked me if we could do other quests as well and I felt bad and said sure XD

I could of course catch up to the monsters I need in solo mode and farm them there. But was wondering how people usually do this in these games?

masaa

Oct 27, 2017
France
When playing with randoms/solo how should I tackle farming for gear? With the lack of SOS flare I find it really hard to find a group to go for certain monsters. There are a lot of groups but they usually either go for key quests or farm monsters I don't need.
I tried to start my own group but the people that joined asked me if we could do other quests as well and I felt bad and said sure XD

I could of course catch up to the monsters I need in solo mode and farm them there. But was wondering how people usually do this in these games?
What works best in my experience:
-Rewrite the hub name to "[monster] farm"
-Set the objective to the monster in question
-Set messages on page 2. ("Farming one monster")
Don't be afraid to tell people to change their quest to the monster you want if they're going to take a turn and post something. And in the worst case, kick them out.

If you're going to search for specific hubs, I recommend changing the "On Quest" option to "Search", and wait for people to finish their quest if you do find one.

BennyWhatever

Oct 27, 2017
US

You can also join in our ResetEra Discord and we can jump in.

PKrockin

Oct 25, 2017
For what it's worth, I found Aerial/Valor LS the most fun of all the styles available, but I've mostly switched to Hunting Horn now. Getting more arts might also help with it.

Just had a really stupid fight against a Rustrazor Caenataur in the volcano. Once it was ready for capture, it fled 10 times in a row, doing laps around areas 3, 5, 6, 7. It was so dumb and we wasted 2 traps in the process but the group I was with still had a good laugh in the end.

Talking about maps, is there any list of shortcuts available anywhere? Think I have most of them, but I can never be too sure.

I know of the ones in:
- Desert
- Not sure if the one in the dunes in still there but it wasn't really useful anyway.
- Primal forest
- Ruined pinnacle
And I think that's it?
Dunes shortcut is still there. There's a shortcut in Misty Peaks by jumping off the bridge that leads out of the cat area.

masaa

Oct 27, 2017
France
Dunes shortcut is still there. There's a shortcut in Misty Peaks by jumping off the bridge that leads out of the cat area.
Aah, you learn something new every day.

On that note:
-Something cute:

You can hit a konchu into something else. Now I'm wondering if you could kill a monster this way. XD

-Also this is totally safe:

And it was a complete fluke...

Mreow

Oct 27, 2017
Feels so good to be back to the real Monster Hunter. I never really played any end game content when Generations was released and now with GU being out I'm even more addicted then I was when 4U was still fresh. Playing with people from ERA is it's own chapter as well. Happy times!

Rhaknar

Oct 26, 2017
Spirit Combo to pitfall.

first of all, nice.

second of all, that bums me out as I gave LS another shot last night in a few hunts and just dont care for it at all. Still cant land spirit combos to save my life, in whatever style I use. Also gave Switch Axe (aerial) a try and also ddint like it much. I think its back to ol' faithful Great sword and carry on as I was, nothing else is really grabbing me, kinda bums me out but it is what it is.

FLCL

Oct 27, 2017
I just gave LS Valor a go for a few quests and... I enjoyed it a lot!

Rhaknar, maybe you just need to put more time into the weapons? I always feel very off when I start trying something new in these games. Dual Blades felt off when I started with those and now the same with LS. But after some time you get into the flow!

PKrockin

Oct 25, 2017
It took me a while to get good at landing spirit slashes. I haven't played much longsword in World, but I wouldn't be surprised if they somehow made leveling the spirit gauge easier since you spend spirit levels to do the jump attack. I think one change I did that helped was fade slashing more and earlier. It builds gauge pretty well and the more you fade slash the more opportunities you have to spot an opening and get to the spirit slash quickly with R -> spirit combo 3 -> spirit slash, assuming you're in a style that allows that combo. Like with everything else, it helps to not get impatient. Don't be afraid to fade slash out of your spirit combo if it looks bad. You can also use the forward movement and incredibly large hitbox of the spirit slash to move past/away from the monster and into a safe spot as they're about to attack you, if it looks like the timing will work out.

This game has quite a few tools to help you with the spirit gauge, like unhinged spirit, sakura slash, and a style that doesn't even have the spirit gauge. It kind of sucked in 3U when you didn't any other way to level up the spirit gauge than going theough the entire spirit combo, not even the combo from fade slash to spirit combo 3. (Doesn't help that I was bad at the game tho.)

Rhaknar

Oct 26, 2017
oooooooooooooooh Valor Gunlance. This is the one bois!

Super easy to fill the meter with valor shells (also super easy to overheat feelsbadman), guard point on quick reload (actually just used it twice on a tetsucabra charge, felt badass lol), spammable shells in valor mode (although I think full burst is still better for 5 shot lances?), loving it. Also really liked Aerial Gunlance, very satisfying to vault -> slam -> burst, but it has the same problem as Aerial GS, it's very spammy / same-y, and you can easily get knocked off the air by monsters. Also those vaults are kinda hard to control sometimes.

Valor tho, once again comes on top.

BennyWhatever

Oct 27, 2017
US
So what is the «best» style/art combo for HH?
I think Aerial and Valor are the two best. If you're old school, you might prefer Guild style because it's "classic".
The hunting arts aren't that great for HH so you don't need striker. You need to be in a monster's face a lot and you're already supporting enough, so not alchemy either. Adept is quite fun and the adept-dodge-into-song is pretty sweet and is kind of a contender.
Valor is just very good with the valor style hops and other cool things. Aerial is great because you can get 2 notes off in the air.

Rhaknar

Oct 26, 2017
oh no, it's those egg transport quests...

tenor.gif

just fought a Rabbit monster. Welp!

Last edited:

tuffy

Oct 25, 2017
I highly recommend getting the Pro Transporter skill for those egg carrying quests, which can be gemmed in with 5 Transportr Jwl 1 decorations. Eating for Felyne Lander is also recommended, if available from the canteen.

Redcrayon

Patient hunter
On Break
Oct 27, 2017
UK
Also some dash juice, and popping a psychoserum before picking up an egg to see where the large monsters are and plan a route accordingly.

masaa

Oct 27, 2017
France
I personally just switch to prowler for those.

Also, if there's a rock blocking a path in the same zone as the egg nest, you can destroy it with a barrel bomb before picking the egg. This won't work if there are two rocks on your path, but in some cases, it can make the second egg just as easy as the first. Just be aware that those rocks respawn immediately after switching zones, so if you mess up, you'll need to take the long route.

Pila

Oct 31, 2017
Switched to the HH, it's been a while! Now that we have the double-note thing I noticed it's easy to always be buffed. Do we even need Maestro anymore? I'm early G and have no problem with my buffs, think about skipping Maestro tbh.

Maledict

Oct 25, 2017
Quick question. As someone who played Monster Hunter World almost entirely solo, how viable is that in this game? How much do you miss out on if you play without other people?

I ask because I'd mostly be playing this on my commute, and a steady internet connection isn't happening there...

Rhaknar

Oct 26, 2017
Quick question. As someone who played Monster Hunter World almost entirely solo, how viable is that in this game? How much do you miss out on if you play without other people?

I ask because I'd mostly be playing this on my commute, and a steady internet connection isn't happening there...

as someone who also only played World solo, it's exactly the same so far (im only in LR tho). I believe G+ is MP only, or rather, tailored for MP, you can still solo of course.

World didnt even have G rank tho so im sure youll get your moneys worth soloing even if you dont dabble in G.

Pila

Oct 31, 2017

You can play any mission on tour own but (unlike World) multiplayer stuff wont adjust for one player, they'll still be multi mission with stronger monsters.

It's up to you really, on top of multi quests this game also has a very large single player portion when you can't go online and still wanna play.

masaa

Oct 27, 2017
France
Switched to the HH, it's been a while! Now that we have the double-note thing I noticed it's easy to always be buffed. Do we even need Maestro anymore? I'm early G and have no problem with my buffs, think about skipping Maestro tbh.
Keep in mind that there's a decoration that gives you both Maestro + Knockout King (skyfeast jewel, and the skill is called "flying pub") for the same cost as the Maestro decoration. Neither are really necessary (and ko king isn't that useful), but if you want Maestro for whatever reason, get that one instead.

Rhaknar

Oct 26, 2017
went back to Aerial GS, I really like it. Valor is probably better, but Aerial has some stuff I really like. Obviously the vault into charged slam, but I actually really like the opening X where you hop forward with a slash and can combo off that, I really miss it with Valor (or with any other style, Aerial is the only has has it). Also, you mount a lot more monsters and that is fun (now that I understand the minigame).

I bet Aerial Hammer is fun for much the same reasons no?

Redcrayon

Patient hunter
On Break
Oct 27, 2017
UK

There's at least a hundred hours of play in the single player, offline low rank and high rank campaigns. You can also tackle all of the online 'hub' content offline in single player, of which the low rank, high rank and the first half of G are perfectly fine in single player- the monsters have a bit more health but you've got two cats aggroing them and healing you. After that, it's possible to do everything in single player but you have to be quite good in terms of raw damage output at that point.

Personally, even in just the single player campaigns there's more than enough to do to make it worth it- that you'll get more out of it if you can play online hub quests here and there doesn't change that there's a huge amount to do.

r0oster

Oct 26, 2018

I also played world completely solo, and although world scales down if you're solo (=village quests in GU), the hub quests in GU (scaled up for MP) is entirely doable solo, just harder. If you don't mind a challenge it's fine.

I'm thinking I'll maybe need to group up for the last couple of deviant quests but not sure, and even if I do, I'll have played the game for hundreds of hours solo at that point (and I may not need a group at all for that).

I did stop using my palicos, though, because monsters are easier to read when they just focus on you, just as a heads up. Only mentioning that since having two palicos in the hub quests is theoretically your "solo benefit".

Last edited:

Rhaknar

Oct 26, 2017
been playing Aerial Switch Axe for the last 3 hours or so, yeah its fun. Still prefer Greatsword tho, by a lot in fact. What can I say, thats the cool thing about these games right, everything is viable, and people like different weapons :)

Aerial style is starting to feel very same-y between the weapons tho, which is to be expected I guess (its a simple style at it's core).I am enjoying Aerial GS more than Valor again tho, its just so fun. Speaking of, made this one https://mhgu.kiranico.com/weapon/40394 (Vulcanis) because I didnt have a Blast weapon yet and I liked those in World, its ugly as sin. As in, its very low res, it must look awful on a TV :(

Also I have a Urgent quest that is seperate from the 3 star tier, so Im guessing / hoping it unlocks 4 stars, which would mean I can skip those egg quests for now (lol)

PKrockin

Oct 25, 2017
went back to Aerial GS, I really like it. Valor is probably better, but Aerial has some stuff I really like. Obviously the vault into charged slam, but I actually really like the opening X where you hop forward with a slash and can combo off that, I really miss it with Valor (or with any other style, Aerial is the only has has it). Also, you mount a lot more monsters and that is fun (now that I understand the minigame).

I bet Aerial Hammer is fun for much the same reasons no?
Aerial GS is actually one of my least favorite combos because there's not much else useful to do besides spamming jumping level 3s. Aerial hammer on the other hand is one of my favorites. Not only does your ground moveset still have good options (the charge attacks and triple pound) but you get 3 air attacks which are all useful (basic dunk is fastest, double dunk is high risk high reward, charged dunk lets you keep your charge going once you hit the ground if you decide not to swing).

A lot of people are fans of aerial GS and aerial swaxe but they're too repetitive for me. You need incentives to do things other than repeatedly jumping on the enemy and doing the same attack. For example aerial LS avoids this by the standard spirit combo still being the best DPS, as far as I'm aware.

Pila

Oct 31, 2017
Keep in mind that there's a decoration that gives you both Maestro + Knockout King (skyfeast jewel, and the skill is called "flying pub") for the same cost as the Maestro decoration. Neither are really necessary (and ko king isn't that useful), but if you want Maestro for whatever reason, get that one instead.

Thanks, nice tip. :)

HeroR

Banned
Dec 10, 2017
Played for the first time in over a month, burnt myself out and started playing Splatoon 2 again along City Skyline. The rust was real and I jumped right back to where I left out and decided to fight Hyper monsters. Not the smartest idea, but I got lucky and got into a great group, probably the best I've been in since Tri Ultimate. No one quick when things went south and I got someone on HR105 who carried me on some of the harder Hyper monsters. Upgraded my long sword to Deepest Night (and it's awesome), got my final upgrade to my long sword art, and upgraded my Astalos all the way to level 6.

Now I feel far more comfortable going into HR9.

BloodshotX

Jan 25, 2018
Heard that version 1.2.0 was live and that there are new item sets. Can anyone check of maybe there are Sinister darkcloths in there? I sadly do not have access to my switch at this time.

tuffy

Oct 25, 2017
Heard that version 1.2.0 was live and that there are new item sets. Can anyone check of maybe there are Sinister darkcloths in there? I sadly do not have access to my switch at this time.
Sinister Darkcloths are not in any of the new item packs. But you can get them from the high rank secret Wetlands area in the Meownster Hunters minigame, whenever it shows up as "rare".

BloodshotX

Jan 25, 2018
Sinister Darkcloths are not in any of the new item packs. But you can get them from the high rank secret Wetlands area in the Meownster Hunters minigame, whenever it shows up as "rare".
yea i found out today : ). I am collecting them for the palico and my hunters outfit. Bc they look quite awesome and are pretty good stat wise.

AxkilAvenger

Banned
Apr 8, 2018
I saw it this morning, only mentioned chinese language added.

Lack of forward hop/dodge is KILLING Gunlance for me. World had forward hop right?
yeah looks like it's just language support and something to do with downloadable quests. Never played world so can't answer your forward hop question. That being said.. I love aerial style with dual blades, it's my laziest way to play :)

HeroR

Banned
Dec 10, 2017
Are High Rank Hyper Monsters harder or are in the same tier as G rank normal monsters? I noticed that High Rank Hyper Monsters can one-shot you if you die and lose your food buff even if you have decent armor. Normally, when you lose your buff, you can take several hits before a monster can down you if your armor is good enough.

Rhaknar

Oct 26, 2017
do you get more materials if you capture a monster instead of killing him like in World? I should start doing that if so.

Just did the Owl monster, man the variety in monsters is really something. 4 Star quests now :) Gonna fuck around with Lance for these first few 4 star quests.

Last edited:

robotzombie

Oct 25, 2017
Currently going Valor GS and absolutely loving it. I can't believe how fast I kill some stuff!

Any suggestions on weapons I should craft along the way as well as armor sets/skills?

HeroR

Banned
Dec 10, 2017
do you get more materials if you capture a monster instead of killing him like in World? I should start doing that if so.

Just did the Owl monster, man the variety in monsters is really something. 4 Star quests now :) Gonna fuck around with Lance for these first few 4 star quests.

You do get more of some material if you capture. However, there are some material you can only getting from killing the monster.