• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Rhaknar

Oct 26, 2017
You do get more of some material if you capture. However, there are some material you can only getting from killing the monster.

ah ha! Interesting.

Speaking of interesting, Aerial Lance is interesting. Unlike GS and Switch Axe (which felt very similar to me), you dont really jump and slam down over and over, when you vault over a monster you do this tripple lunge thing, which you can then follow up with your pokes when you land, so it's almost like you're extending your pokes in the air, and then the ground, and then the air etc. I imagine that between the third poke in the normal combo (which hits three times, if you ever land the damn thing) and this air lunge, it must be great for elemental Lances.

You also get a much needed forward hop, since all Aerial styles get it. Still no World style triple poke tho, apparently only Striker style has that :(

edit: oh hey Rathian, good to see a familiar face... now please just fucking die already, JESUS CHRIST. Flying monsters run away too much fam (or all the monsters really), I even tried to flash bomb him twice (the two I had) when he was taking off and it did fuck all :/

I know it gets better when you do more damage and do hunts faster (this took me 25mins, I remember those in early World days lol) but goddamn sometimes I barely get to him them before they are flying off again :(

ANYWAY, Lance felt pretty good vs him, was blocking all (well, almost all, I fucked up a lot) his shit just like I did in World, but the lack of the triple poke (or rather, the fast triple poke, the one Striker Style has) is really throwing me. The vault attack is great tho. Either way, good stuff good stuff, probably already surpassed Gunlance as my second fave (not unlike World really) and I just started using it (for realsies). I need a good status Lance tho for all these fast hits. Also not sure what other style to try (I guess Striker) because from the videos im seeing, Valor doesnt look like my cup of tea for this particular weapon.

Last edited:

r0oster

Oct 26, 2018
Are High Rank Hyper Monsters harder or are in the same tier as G rank normal monsters? I noticed that High Rank Hyper Monsters can one-shot you if you die and lose your food buff even if you have decent armor. Normally, when you lose your buff, you can take several hits before a monster can down you if your armor is good enough.

When you talk about losing your food buff, do you mean the increased max HP? Bring max potions or ancient potions for popping after carts to get back your max HP.

High rank hypers are harder than early g rank monsters, I would definitely say. Can't speak for getting one shot by hypers, but in blademaster gear that shouldn't happen fighting normal monsters, if you have max HP and decent defense.

Last edited:

Rhaknar

Oct 26, 2017
oh yeah, Striker Lance deffo feels more familiar... poke, poke, poke, hop, poke poke poke, hop. I missed you old friend :(

Last edited:

HeroR

Banned
Dec 10, 2017
When you talk about losing your food buff, do you mean the increased max HP? Bring max potions or ancient potions for popping after carts to get back your max HP.

High rank hypers are harder than early g rank monsters, I would definitely say. Can't speak for getting one shot by hypers, but in blademaster gear that shouldn't happen fighting normal monsters, if you have max HP and decent defense.

How do you get Max Potions and Ancient Potions?

OP
OP

spiritfox

Oct 26, 2017
How do you get Max Potions and Ancient Potions?

You need to craft them. Max Potions are Dragon Toadstools and Mega Nutrients, while Ancients are Immunizers and Kelbi Horns. If you don't have the materials you could also just use Nutrients, which give you the max health increase without the heal.

r0oster

Oct 26, 2018
This is kind of a long term thing, but I think after you beat the final boss of the hub quests - or perhaps earlier - you can buy both immunizers and kelbi horns from Neko. If you buy them at half price it's not terribly expensive to bring one ancient potion and ten combines for at least the more dangerous hunts (it's a full heal no matter what).

Hybris

Oct 25, 2017
Baton Rouge, Louisiana
oh yeah, Striker Lance deffo feels more familiar... poke, poke, poke, hop, poke poke poke, hop. I missed you old friend :(
The charge finisher does a shit load of damage for striker. Just the charge finisher does almost as much damage as 3 pokes. You should try to mix those in often. Actually speedrunners use mostly charges and mixing in pokes occasionally. It's a pretty powerful play-style, but it takes some getting used to.

Rhaknar

Oct 26, 2017
The charge finisher does a shit load of damage for striker. Just the charge finisher does almost as much damage as 3 pokes. You should try to mix those in often. Actually speedrunners use mostly charges and mixing in pokes occasionally. It's a pretty powerful play-style, but it takes some getting used to.

charge as in R+X+A and you start running forward? Man I can never hit wtih that :(

Rhaknar

Oct 26, 2017
Yep, that's the one. You can also swap + and - functions and use the + button to activate it. I miss with it constantly and get destroyed when I try it. Not being able to turn much during the charge makes it quite difficult. I need more practice with it.

yeah not a fan :(

I barely used it in World either.

FLCL

Oct 27, 2017
How much defense should I have in HR5 online? Was just in a group and everyone except me were close to 400, I was at 160 =/ Been keeping my gear upgraded though so not sure why I was so far behind?

Balbanes

Oct 25, 2017
How much defense should I have in HR5 online? Was just in a group and everyone except me were close to 400, I was at 160 =/ Been keeping my gear upgraded though so not sure why I was so far behind?

Have you you crafted new "high rank" armor, or are you still using upgraded "low rank" armor? Anything made from monster materials from HR4 and on should have much higher defense values.

Rhaknar

Oct 26, 2017
im sure you guys are tired of hearing me flip flopping on GU weapons, but went back to GS again earlier, still my fave lol. I guess I'm a GS main this game, no way around it. It's just by far the most fun I've had in the game (and maybe even World), that Valor Style is just fantastic. And I just found out you can press A instead of releasing a charge to make you dash forward and THEN do the charged slam which is a complete game changer!

edit: cant cut tails for shit fam, I cant hit any more lvl 3 GS slashes on the fucking thing than I did on this Rathian (sub quest was remove his tail), feelsbadman :(

edit: same for these kut-ku ears, I cant get any no matter how much I hit them in the face. Am I missing something? And couldnt break / damage this Nargacuga's wings either... guess I'm never doing subquests apparently /shrug

Last edited:

FLCL

Oct 27, 2017
Have you you crafted new "high rank" armor, or are you still using upgraded "low rank" armor? Anything made from monster materials from HR4 and on should have much higher defense values.
Upgraded Glavenus set, lv 3 to 4. One person had a normal kut ku set and Still had 200 more defense than me, no skills.

Rhaknar

Oct 26, 2017
Nargacuga set looks good for low rank no? Expert skill is affinity aka crit IIRC from world?

Any other LR set you guys recomend for GS?

Balbanes

Oct 25, 2017
Upgraded Glavenus set, lv 3 to 4. One person had a normal kut ku set and Still had 200 more defense than me, no skills.

What I'm saying is that HR 1-3 is considered low rank, and HR 4+ is high rank. So if you made a glavenous set from HR 3 quests, regardless of if you upgraded it, it's still considered LR armor. If you made a kut ku set from HR 4 quests, it would be considered high rank armor and would therefore have much higher defense values (even without upgrades).

Armor isn't like weapons where you keep upgrading one set throughout the whole game. You need to make brand new sets going from low rank -> high rank -> g rank

Corporal

Oct 27, 2017
I think my preferred "low effort" LR armour is a mixed set I scrounged off the web some years ago.

Rathalos Cap
Rathalos Mail (Tenderizer)
Ceanataur Braces (Razor)
Rathalos Faulds (Attack2)
Bnahabra Boots

Plus a Talisman with as much Attack+ as you can find. In the beginning you might also need to use a Weapon with slots to boost Attack high enough.

Gives at least Attack Up (M), plus Razor Sharp (halves loss of sharpness) and Weakness Exploit (Affinity up if you hit a vulnerable part).

Should be able to boost defense to around 250-ish or so.

It's a pretty useful combo of skills, IMHO. And while it doesn't look amazing it can be made to look okay with some pigment tweaking at the home box.

GaimeGuy

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
now i need to figureo ut what to do in the postgame. I'm sure there are monsters I never fought, quests I never unlocked, not to mention hypers and deviants I glossed over.

BennyWhatever

Oct 27, 2017
US
now i need to figureo ut what to do in the postgame. I'm sure there are monsters I never fought, quests I never unlocked, not to mention hypers and deviants I glossed over.
You said you beat Ahtal Ka right?
Deviants are fun, but can be cumbersome to level up since each level is like an "urgent" in that you have to post the room to get the credit.
There are a ton of unlockables based on quest that you can do for things like Hunting Arts and gear and food ingredients.
If you do a lot of the single player, there are Advanced 10* quests that are intensely difficult.
There are also a lot of fun yet challenging event quests that can give cool rewards, like the recent DLC Valstrax quest that rewards you with 90+ Horns Coins or the infamous charm farming quest

Rhaknar

Oct 26, 2017
I hate prowler quests and I hate that they count to have the "check mark" on each tier. Yes yes I know you can move on to the next one without doing all the quests in the previous one, its a ocd thing :(

Ill have to get over it tho, I notice prowler quests start being actual hunts and I cba with that shit. Hopefully they dont unlock important stuff like arts or something :/

Edit: oh wow this snake monster (najarala?) looks awesome, I am loving the monster variety in this.

Last edited:

BloodshotX

Jan 25, 2018
Anyone know how i get Handsome Scrap+ for my palico armor? did some high rank meowster missions but nothing.

Rhaknar

Oct 26, 2017
the amount of weapons (and armor) in the game is ridiculous. I just keep making new ones if only to have the branching options open up, like I just made three Rank 3 greatswords, but not really gonna use any of them for now, still sticking with my chicken decapitator /shrug

Edit: Yian Garuga (poison version of that bird that runs around like a spastic) down and 5 star unlocked :)

How many tiers is there before HR anyway? 10?

Last edited:

robotzombie

Oct 25, 2017
I'm not currently having as much fun with Valor GS as I thought I would, thinking about trying out Valor Bow.

I'm only in Village 4 right now, so very early on. Any suggestions on a nice bow to build towards and a gunner armor set to build for now?

Also any general tips would be appreciated

BennyWhatever

Oct 27, 2017
US
the amount of weapons (and armor) in the game is ridiculous. I just keep making new ones if only to have the branching options open up, like I just made three Rank 3 greatswords, but not really gonna use any of them for now, still sticking with my chicken decapitator /shrug

Edit: Yian Garuga (poison version of that bird that runs around like a spastic) down and 5 star unlocked :)

How many tiers is there before HR anyway? 10?
In the single player village quests, High Rank starts at 7* quests.
Note, 6* will have some quests that start with "Advanced:" These are high rank quests as well, and are very very difficult. They were "end-game" single player quests for the original Monster Hunter Generations.

PKrockin

Oct 25, 2017
I'm not currently having as much fun with Valor GS as I thought I would, thinking about trying out Valor Bow.

I'm only in Village 4 right now, so very early on. Any suggestions on a nice bow to build towards and a gunner armor set to build for now?

I never gun until high rank or g-rank, but any armor with FastCharge/Focus or stamina skills/Constitution would be good for bow.

Rhaknar

Oct 26, 2017
In the single player village quests, High Rank starts at 7* quests.
Note, 6* will have some quests that start with "Advanced:" These are high rank quests as well, and are very very difficult. They were "end-game" single player quests for the original Monster Hunter Generations.

I'm getting close then, I'm scared :(

these prowler missions are killing my buzz tho, do they actually unlock anything important?

Edit: Lagiacrus greatsword looks badass. Seems good too and I dont have a electric sword yet.

Also every time a quest has a mount and topple subquest I switch to aerial and am reminded I love that style. I really dont know if I prefer valor or not, the problem with aerial (at least greatsword, Lance for example was better in this sense) is how limited your ground game is so it becomes super repetitive with just vaulting into charged slashes :(

Last edited:

tuffy

Oct 25, 2017
Prowler-only quests don't unlock anything important. They're for people who like playing as Prowlers and completionists.

Rhaknar

Oct 26, 2017
Aerial Long Sword might have just redeemed LS for me, going to stick with it for awhile during these 5 stars. It's also probably the best, or rather, at least the most diverse Aerial Style yet, as much like Lance, and unlike Greatsword and Switch Axe, it doesnt feel youre just spamming the same move over and over again.

In fact, you lose very little on the ground, you still do your X,X,A combos as usual, can still fade slash, you just have to initiate the spirit combo in the air. The cool thing is, only getting to white takes a bit, after that, you can do a much smaller spirit combo in the air and when you land you go straight into the finisher, so you can get to red much quicker,and with less meter too. Cool stuff, and I only used it vs Niblesnarf or whatever hes called, and hes burrowed half the time so it wasnt even ideal to try it out. Certainly left me with a great impression tho.

I was using this ugly ass crow scythe tho and thats not very nice, looks more like a giant axe than a long sword.

edit: sorry I know most people here already know all of this, I just dont have anyone to talk to about MonHun, noone I know plays it >_<

Frankish

Oct 25, 2017
USA
To newcomers: I highly recommend the MHGU Database app. It contains info about every monster and quest (including which are key) , skill, weapon, item and armor.

It also contains an armor builder and wishlist.

OP
OP

spiritfox

Oct 26, 2017

The bow I was using at that time was the Nibelsnarf bow, but it doesn't really matter as long as you get a decent rapid bow until you unlock Teostra. Teostra's bow is the go to bow in LR and HR, so aim for that.

As for armor BuJaBuJaBu also works for gunners.

Rhaknar

Oct 26, 2017
fuck yian garuga, horrible monster and by far the most annoying to fight that I've seen so far, jesus christ.

oh and Khezu can fuck off aswell, horrible fight. These two are by far the ones I legit dont have fun fighting.

Valor LS is fun and crazy! Counter all the attacks! I would recommend trying it out.

I've kinda fallen out of love with Valor in general you know. Probably because I never take advantage of the damage reduction parry :/

edit: oooh Astalos got a fancy CGI cut scene intro :o

Last edited:

PKrockin

Oct 25, 2017
Aerial Long Sword might have just redeemed LS for me, going to stick with it for awhile during these 5 stars. It's also probably the best, or rather, at least the most diverse Aerial Style yet, as much like Lance, and unlike Greatsword and Switch Axe, it doesnt feel youre just spamming the same move over and over again.

In fact, you lose very little on the ground, you still do your X,X,A combos as usual, can still fade slash, you just have to initiate the spirit combo in the air. The cool thing is, only getting to white takes a bit, after that, you can do a much smaller spirit combo in the air and when you land you go straight into the finisher, so you can get to red much quicker,and with less meter too. Cool stuff, and I only used it vs Niblesnarf or whatever hes called, and hes burrowed half the time so it wasnt even ideal to try it out. Certainly left me with a great impression tho.

I was using this ugly ass crow scythe tho and thats not very nice, looks more like a giant axe than a long sword.

edit: sorry I know most people here already know all of this, I just dont have anyone to talk to about MonHun, noone I know plays it >_<
Aerial longsword rocks. Losing the R button followup to fade slash is notable, but the aerial vault complements the fade slash better than regular dodges and it just feels great to play.

I refuse to use those ugly scythe longswords anymore. They are just too terrible looking. lol

Rhaknar

Oct 26, 2017
I need to make a Garuga (its the only one I've seen with Hearplugs so far) set asap, I remember why I couldnt play Long Sword in World without Hearplugs, jesus christ so annoying. No point in having dps skills if I cant dps half the time because of screaming.

edit: Rathalos Greatsword looks dope.

Last edited:

PKrockin

Oct 25, 2017
how do you guys play without earplus? :(
Without the armor skill earplugs?

Absolute evasion/readiness through it
Pass through it by jumping off the monster with aerial style
Adept dodge it with adept style
Valor stance it with valor style
Disposable earplugs with alchemy
Dodge through with evasion +1/2
Block it with a shield
Earplugs song with hunting horn
Git gud and frame-perfect dodge it without evasion armor skills

Rhaknar

Oct 26, 2017
Glavenus >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> Anjanath, holy shit.

Best monster so far by far, loved it. 6 star quests now :)