• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

BennyWhatever

Oct 27, 2017
US
Tip for beginners that I literally just learned yesterday after playing MH since MH3U.

If you see the hot air balloon in the air, look at it and use the "wave" gesture and it'll show you the location of large monsters on the map as if they've been paintballed.

Rhaknar

Oct 26, 2017
Eventually you learn to dodge through the rolls :) Takes some time to get to that familiarity with the monster though.

that will never happen my friend, im shit at the game, or games in general. Or rather, mediocre I guess? :D

It didnt happen in World, it didnt happen in Dark Souls, or any of the famously hard, execution heavy games. I usually just get by cheesing lol. Hey, whatever works right?

Hybris

Oct 25, 2017
Baton Rouge, Louisiana
that will never happen my friend, im shit at the game, or games in general. Or rather, mediocre I guess? :D

It didnt happen in World, it didnt happen in Dark Souls, or any of the famously hard, execution heavy games. I usually just get by cheesing lol. Hey, whatever works right?
Don't feel bad about using earplugs, they are great in this game. They are relatively cheap compared to world, there are way fewer monsters with i-framable roars in the pre-world games, and margin for error in dodging them is smaller.

tuffy

Oct 25, 2017
If it's any consolation, the intruder monster you need to kill for the dozens of charms in the subquest rewards has a whopping 10× attack multiplier (compared to the 7.9 - 8.8× multiplier of a Hyper G rank version), so it's inadvisable to go after it without a specialized team and/or endgame gear.

Rhaknar

Oct 26, 2017
If it's any consolation, the intruder monster you need to kill for the dozens of charms in the subquest rewards has a whopping 10× attack multiplier (compared to the 7.9 - 8.8× multiplier of a Hyper G rank version), so it's inadvisable to go after it without a specialized team and/or endgame gear.

oh, I dont even intend to play online so I guess I'll never do that shit :D

question: is there a set / skill in the game like World had to be able to block ANYTHING (for example in World you could even lolblock Nergi's dive bombs which was hilarious).

Also I noticed that Uragaan (btw hai uragaan you look exactly the same) set is NOT a defense skill set like in World, is there no "tank" set in this one?

tuffy

Oct 25, 2017
oh, I dont even intend to play online so I guess I'll never do that shit :D

question: is there a set / skill in the game like World had to be able to block ANYTHING (for example in World you could even lolblock Nergi's dive bombs which was hilarious).

Also I noticed that Uragaan (btw hai uragaan you look exactly the same) set is NOT a defense skill set like in World, is there no "tank" set in this one?
There is a Guard Up skill which causes previously un-blockable attacks to become blockable.

As for maximum tanking sets, I see EX Rathian S features Guard +2, Guard Up and Guts (which prevents one-shot attacks if your health is high enough). Though you'll need to tackle a high rank Hyper Rathalos/Hyper Rathian quest on the hub side for the tickets, so it may take awhile to get.

JMTF

Aug 27, 2018
Star Rook is XX only? that one was pretty good on Gen for the Guard +2 + Guard Up + Razor Sharp.
Seltas X set has similar skill set but replace Guard Up with Hero Shield, and add Artillery +2.

tuffy

Oct 25, 2017
Yeah, the Star Rook and Star Knight sets were USJ collaboration gear that are in Generations and XX. But since the collaboration ended, they're not in Generations Ultimate at all.

Deleted member 9479

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 26, 2017

Don't worry I've been playing MH for like a decade and still suck at dodging through attacks. I see them coming fine. I dodge at what I think is the appropriate time, but I miss the iframe window a lot. Never can tell if I was too early or too late.

Rhaknar

Oct 26, 2017
Gore Magala :o

Shit's getting serious now bois. What is that black debuff he puts on you, I notice some weapons have that element (including his obviously), World didnt have that I think?

edit: fuck me, Zinogre was actually harder for me, actually fainted once, hadnt fainted in ages. His attacks are so overwhelming when hes buffed up.

Last edited:

tuffy

Oct 25, 2017
Gore Magala :o

Shit's getting serious now bois. What is that black debuff he puts on you, I notice some weapons have that element (including his obviously), World didnt have that I think?
The Gore Magala family inflicts the Frenzy Virus, which has a big part of 4 Ultimate. When infected, you'll notice a purple bar next to your hunter's name which goes up over time or as you take more hits from Gore. If you inflict enough damage before the bar reaches the end, you'll overcome the virus and get an affinity boost for a short time. You can postpone the virus by chugging a Nullberry. But if the bar reaches the end, you'll get fully infected and won't get any regenerating red health for awhile.

Some weapons feature the Dragon element which is also purple-ish looking, but that's a different thing from the virus.

Rhaknar

Oct 26, 2017
found a new hated monster, fuck Brachydios :(

edit: lol did Seregios do a motherfucking karate kick in his intro? :D

edit: Kirin is as annoying as he was in World I see. Stop fucking galoping from side to side you little fucker!

Last edited:

robotzombie

Oct 25, 2017
Okay, so I'm getting a little sick of greatsword at the moment, I was thinking of switching over to SnS.

Currently working towards Village 6, I have Rathalos Armor. Suggestions on good SnS's for where I'm at and ones I should work towards?

Deleted member 4198

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I've been fighting Brachydios since 3U and I still constantly die against him :(

The best SnS are the ones from the deviant monsters, so my suggestion is to build whatever is easiest for now, since the deviants are hard. With SnS you definitely want to target the element the monsters are weak against though, so keep that in mind.

BennyWhatever

Oct 27, 2017
US
Okay, so I'm getting a little sick of greatsword at the moment, I was thinking of switching over to SnS.

Currently working towards Village 6, I have Rathalos Armor. Suggestions on good SnS's for where I'm at and ones I should work towards?
I used SnS a lot towards the end of High Rank, and used the Narga set with either the Narga or Gore Magala SnS. It worked pretty well for me. I was Striker with the 3 main SnS hunter arts.

Rhaknar

Oct 26, 2017
Shagaru Magala was awesome. Congalala was cool too, much better than the snow ape in LR, but FUCK stench >_<

Welp, thats Low Rank done, it only took 80 hours lol >_<

Rhaknar

Oct 26, 2017
You can use a Deodorant to get rid of that if you didn't know.

oh I know, but I didnt know he did that so I didnt take any lol

edit: Went back to LR to kill Astalos again, I want to make his Long Sword cause it looks badass and I dont have a lightning LS anyway, I completely destroyed him in like 5 mins, he almost didnt fly away. Sure its LR but still, felt like

tenor.gif

I dont actually have any HR stuff yet either, just rocking a Glavenus Level 2 Long Sword (which I also love, that and the Rathian poison one are my go to swords atm, Rathian vs fire monsters since Glavenus is fire).

Last edited:

GaimeGuy

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
oh god they brought back the wycademy challenge from MH4U in this game?

Please tell me you can still run around and make the rajang kill the zinogre.

Zephon

Dec 10, 2017
I just did the the Low lvl 2 gendrome roadblock quest and it took me like 30 minutes to complete the quest. Coming from world such a low level monster would take me 5-10 minutes.
Do monsters generally take longer in GU to take down or do I just suck lol.
It kinda got boring spending so long on such a low level monster.

Edit: Also just did another hunt low lvl 2 The Land Sharq (hunt a Cephadrome) and it took me 35 minutes to complete, using the soldiers dagger.
I love the gameplay in MH but for a low level hunt it feels extremely long and ends up becoming pretty boring, an easy hunt in World didnt feel so stretched out for a low level monster.

Last edited:

masaa

Oct 27, 2017
France

I've been struggling on that quest actually.
Managed to beat both Rajang and Zinogre, but I was running out of time and got careless against Shagaru.

I don't think waiting for them to kill each other is viable in this game. You're better off using smoke bombs and pray that both don't see you when you enter the area, and also that your palicos don't run around getting noticed.

BennyWhatever

Oct 27, 2017
US

Managed to beat both Rajang and Zinogre, but I was running out of time and got careless against Shagaru.

I don't think waiting for them to kill each other is viable in this game. You're better off using smoke bombs and pray that both don't see you when you enter the area, and also that your palicos don't run around getting noticed.
It was by far the hardest Advanced quest for me. Took about 15+ tries.
My strat was to use Mega Dash juice and run around taking pot shots on Zinogre whenever I could to get him out first. After a few tries, I found that he was more of a threat than Rajang (even though Rajang hits harder) because he has a much higher chance of accidentally hitting you with crap from clear across the room. Zinogre has a little more HP than Rajang but not much. Those curving giant lightning balls come outta nowhere.
Shaggy wasn't too bad. Just need to watch for the explosion pools.

GaimeGuy

Banned
Oct 25, 2017

fuck

masaa

Oct 27, 2017
France
It was by far the hardest Advanced quest for me. Took about 15+ tries.
My strat was to use Mega Dash juice and run around taking pot shots on Zinogre whenever I could to get him out first. After a few tries, I found that he was more of a threat than Rajang (even though Rajang hits harder) because he has a much higher chance of accidentally hitting you with crap from clear across the room. Zinogre has a little more HP than Rajang but not much. Those curving giant lightning balls come outta nowhere.
Shaggy wasn't too bad. Just need to watch for the explosion pools.
I'm personally focusing on Rajang first. I feel like the less time he is running around the better. lol
I've been doing this with the hunting horn which I think isn't really the brightest idea considering I never find the time to perform songs outside of the start and in-between carts. Currently, my plan is to forge new armor and switch back to LS for this.

On the positive note, I feel like I'm slowly getting Rajang's patterns and being able to read him more easily... except for those back hops. orz

tuffy

Oct 25, 2017
is that a G rank quest you guys are talking about?
Essentially, yes. At the very end of High Rank Village once all the other village requests have been done, there's several challenge quests featuring G rank monsters and inspired by previous challenge quests in the series ("Proof of a Champion" being similar to "Mark of a Hero" from 3 Ultimate, "Wycademy Challenge" being similar to "The Caravaneer's Challenge" from 4 Ultimate, etc.). Because they're all single-player and often feature multiple monsters at once, they can be difficult to beat.

Rhaknar

Oct 26, 2017
Essentially, yes. At the very end of High Rank Village once all the other village requests have been done, there's several challenge quests featuring G rank monsters and inspired by previous challenge quests in the series ("Proof of a Champion" being similar to "Mark of a Hero" from 3 Ultimate, "Wycademy Challenge" being similar to "The Caravaneer's Challenge" from 4 Ultimate, etc.). Because they're all single-player and often feature multiple monsters at once, they can be difficult to beat.

ok neat Im nowhere near that yet :)

BennyWhatever

Oct 27, 2017
US
ok neat Im nowhere near that yet :)
To unlock a good deal of them, you have to beat the final HR12 urgent online too. That urgent quest itself is something everyone who plays MonHun needs to experience because it's cool af.

Also, at the end of 6* village quests there is the same thing - you're in low rank but fighting high rank monsters. Those are the ones labeled "Advanced: ..." They were the end game quests from the 3DS Monster Hunter Generations.

Rhaknar

Oct 26, 2017
To unlock a good deal of them, you have to beat the final HR12 urgent online too. That urgent quest itself is something everyone who plays MonHun needs to experience because it's cool af.

Also, at the end of 6* village quests there is the same thing - you're in low rank but fighting high rank monsters. Those are the ones labeled "Advanced: ..." They were the end game quests from the 3DS Monster Hunter Generations.

but I already cleared 6* village and I didnt do any advance quests? did I?

I just did the the Low lvl 2 gendrome roadblock quest and it took me like 30 minutes to complete the quest. Coming from world such a low level monster would take me 5-10 minutes.
Do monsters generally take longer in GU to take down or do I just suck lol.
It kinda got boring spending so long on such a low level monster.

Edit: Also just did another hunt low lvl 2 The Land Sharq (hunt a Cephadrome) and it took me 35 minutes to complete, using the soldiers dagger.
I love the gameplay in MH but for a low level hunt it feels extremely long and ends up becoming pretty boring, an easy hunt in World didnt feel so stretched out for a low level monster.

I feel the power creep is higher in this compared to World. Once you start to make some better weapons you will notice those times go down drastically. Also you really need to find a style that really clicks with you. Im destroying these first few HR quests super fast compared to how I was in early LR.

BennyWhatever

Oct 27, 2017
US

I feel the power creep is higher in this compared to World. Once you start to make some better weapons you will notice those times go down drastically. Also you really need to find a style that really clicks with you. Im destroying these first few HR quests super fast compared to how I was in early LR.
You have to make progress in the Hub for the advanced quests to unlock.

Also yeah its crazy how early high rank monsters are so easy with your good gear. You also have improved at the game a lot by now which makes them easier as well.
Don't worry, it'll get harder

Rhaknar

Oct 26, 2017
You have to make progress in the Hub for the advanced quests to unlock.

Also yeah its crazy how early high rank monsters are so easy with your good gear. You also have improved at the game a lot by now which makes them easier as well.
Don't worry, it'll get harder

what hub? the online hub? Ive only done offline stuff, I dont have nintendo online.

also, a bug monster, neat. and super easy, but neat :p

BennyWhatever

Oct 27, 2017
US
You can do every quest in the game offline, including the hub. Hub is scaled for 2 people, so monsters have a little more health and do a little more damage than the village. I solod the hub up to about HR5 or HR6 because I didn't like playing online on 3ds. It's tedious but not bad.

Rhaknar

Oct 26, 2017
You can do every quest in the game offline, including the hub. Hub is scaled for 2 people, so monsters have a little more health and do a little more damage than the village. I solod the hub up to about HR5 or HR6 because I didn't like playing online on 3ds. It's tedious but not bad.

just checked the hub and I only have LR 1 star quests, because I never did anything >_>

Zephon

Dec 10, 2017

Thanks!
Felt pretty discouraged with how hard of a time I was having with the quests yesterday but changed my weapon to the charge blade and tried another style today and had a lot easier time doing hunts.

Deleted member 4198

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
just checked the hub and I only have LR 1 star quests, because I never did anything >_>

Village quests, the stuff you have been playing up to now, is all like the tutorial. G Rank in the Hub is where the game really begins. Even though it's scaled for multiplayer, everything can be done solo. In 3U I best everything solo, even if some stuff took me many tries to get good enough. Lucent Nargacuga was a nightmare!!

Also a the Hub has like multiple times the amount of content Village has, including all the Deviant and Hyper monsters and the Event quests.

Herb Alpert

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Paris, France
I came back to the game few days ago after having put it aside due to dark souls, and I'm really happy to have been able to find a lot of teamates for endgame.
Online seems quite active.

I'm also realizing that endgame is even more meaty than the one from 4, in which I ended up always fighting the same elder dragons, and armor fusion gives an incentive to craft more gear.

Between this game and the previous on 3ds, I probably sit around 220+ hours. Great game.

Jimnymebob

Oct 26, 2017
Does this have actual analogue camera controls, or is it like MH3U on the Wii U, where the camera can only move up, down, left, and right?

I enjoyed the demos of the 3DS games, so 4 and Generations (the one which has the different stances for each weapon more so), but the camera would be a deal breaker for me.

tuffy

Oct 25, 2017
Does this have actual analogue camera controls, or is it like MH3U on the Wii U, where the camera can only move up, down, left, and right?

I enjoyed the demos of the 3DS games, so 4 and Generations (the one which has the different stances for each weapon more so), but the camera would be a deal breaker for me.
You can adjust the camera's position to be nearly any angle; it's not just a few discrete vertical steps like it was in MH3U.

The e-shop has a free demo which you can use to play around with the controls if you'd like.

Herb Alpert

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Paris, France

Nope, you can freely control the camera with the right stick