• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

feline fury

Dec 8, 2017
OK, I just picked this up recently but haven't played MH in a long time so I'm going to have to relearn a lot. I'll probably stick to the charge blade for now since that's the gear I have on my MHG file. I believe I'm just entering high rank with a Tigrex CB and Los armor

Which styles are best or easiest to pickup for the CV? Are there any good tutorials for CB aside from gaijin hunter's YT vid?

YukiroCTX

Prophet of Regret
Oct 30, 2017
Going between World and this game, I actually quite like how the Hub feels so simple compared to world. So far, my experience with gathering is also easier mainly due to how simple the visuals are where world is so dense. One thing I've wondered is why there really isn't a MH database within these games in particular the monsters you've already hunted, items they drop. Just the start feels a lot more diverse as well.

Anteo

Oct 25, 2017
I forgot we had this thread here lol, it doenst even show on my alerts anymore
I just reached G4 this week, ive been farming monsters on each G rank tier and doing a few random armors and weapons set.
So, how does one even use Valstrax unique skill, the one that only activates when you have the dragonblight, it seems useless (i still want to farm him just because)

Scything

Oct 25, 2017
As I recall (might be confusing with a different skill) it automatically gives you dragonblight below 2/3rds health.

Manu

Oct 27, 2017
Buenos Aires, Argentina
49442912_10218294389141050_6497556383724994560_o.jpg

Wish me luck everyone.

Manu

Oct 27, 2017
Buenos Aires, Argentina
So farming Deviants sucks eh?

I wanted the Dreadqueen Rathian set so I tried to solo her, which I did. Not a hard fight. She gave me enough materials on one hunt to make two pieces of armor. Making the whole set was easy. Each piece has a base defense of 30, which is way below the 80+ per piece I currently have from my Tigrex armor. No biggie, let me upgrade it.

Except in order to upgrade each piece to level 2, you need a Dreadqueen Ticket II. To get those, you need to beat a different quest. So I beat that too. Gave me two tickets which allowed me to upgrade two pieces to lvl 2, taking the defense from 30 to a whopping 34. And now I need Dreadqueen Ticket III in order to upgrade to lvl 3 which I get by obviously beating another different quest.

Just how much am I going to grind this thing until this armor becomes not useless?

tuffy

Oct 25, 2017

Just how much am I going to grind this thing until this armor becomes not useless?
It's going to be a lot of quests. The Dreadqueen Soul skill unlocks at level 6 (for all pieces), and Dreadqueen Soul X at level 14.

The whole Deviant system is basically an endgame grind which goes a lot easier in a group.

Hybris

Oct 25, 2017
Baton Rouge, Louisiana

I wanted the Dreadqueen Rathian set so I tried to solo her, which I did. Not a hard fight. She gave me enough materials on one hunt to make two pieces of armor. Making the whole set was easy. Each piece has a base defense of 30, which is way below the 80+ per piece I currently have from my Tigrex armor. No biggie, let me upgrade it.

Except in order to upgrade each piece to level 2, you need a Dreadqueen Ticket II. To get those, you need to beat a different quest. So I beat that too. Gave me two tickets which allowed me to upgrade two pieces to lvl 2, taking the defense from 30 to a whopping 34. And now I need Dreadqueen Ticket III in order to upgrade to lvl 3 which I get by obviously beating another different quest.

Well the skills on the armor don't even activate until level 6, so that's the minimum. Deviants suck for rewards in general. There are some good weapons, most of the armor is pretty bad in G rank and it's way too much effort to put in just to use it for high rank stuff at this point. They are my favorite fights overall, but they definitely missed on the reward for time put in ratio.

Dreavus

One Winged Slayer
The Fallen
Jan 12, 2018
Yeah it's kind of brutal. I managed to get up to Hellblade IV, I really want to hit VI for the armour skill though. Currently sitting at HR 7 so there's probably better stuff I could be building for less effort.

I mean it looks cool at least!

Rafavert

Oct 31, 2017
Portugal
Oh man... recently jumped back into the game and reached G rank (G2 right now, upgrading gear before gunning higher). This game remains surprisingly addicting. One of my favourite aspects will always be going back to monsters that originally gave me a hard time. Needed to farm Valtrax for a Red Dragonmind Stone. Not so tough now, are ya, red comet?

Except for you, Blangonga. God damn it, is that a frustrating enemy!

jahasaja

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Sweden
After beating the G4 urgent and unlocking Blodlust Diablo solo I felt that it not much left to do so I stopped playing.

But after a week I miss the combat! I played the whole game long sword adept and I did not get tired of it. I cannot understand how the combat can be so addicting!

Last edited:

Rafavert

Oct 31, 2017
Portugal
After beating the G4 urgent and unlocking Blodlust Diablo solo I felt that it not much left to do so I stopped playing.

But after a week I miss the combat! I played the whole game long sword adept and I did not get tired of it. I cannot understand how the combat can be so addicting!

I know! The gameplay itself is addictive. You might not even have an objective, but fighting by itself is so much fun you're fine doing it aimlessly. I guess it's why we see so many high ranked people helping lower ranked ones. They just want the thrill of the fight.

OP
OP

spiritfox

Oct 26, 2017
Oh hmm, you might want to ask in the MHW thread for a new invite, cause it's probably more trafficked.

Rafavert

Oct 31, 2017
Portugal
An update? This late? Weird. I know nothing. Hopefully it's good! Boost them FPS to 60!

One can dream, but it's probably some minor fix, though I don't remember hearing anything about bugs needing to be adressed.

Edit: Did you see the patch size?

Toxi

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
I told myself I wouldn't buy Monster Hunter for Switch because I wouldn't be able to concentrate on work.

Well fuck that! Game's downloading right now.

Toxi

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
I know this is beating a dead horse, but it's still hilarious how if you beat the Fated Four early the village leaders have no reaction and still act like they're a fearsome threat.

Toxi

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
The game's "plot" is a joke at best =p really just an excuse to throw more monsters at us.

Not complaining, mind you.
Yeah, at least you can actually kill the monsters early in Generations, which is more than I could say for 3U.

Also, goddamn I forgot how good Deserted Island's music is. I get goosebumps every time I hear the intro.

Rafavert

Oct 31, 2017
Portugal
Yeah, at least you can actually kill the monsters early in Generations, which is more than I could say for 3U.

Also, goddamn I forgot how good Deserted Island's music is. I get goosebumps every time I hear the intro.

oh God, yes! Tri was my first MH, so that island has so much nostalgia. Plus, I find it a genuinely great map. A healthy dose of Lagiacrus only improves it further.

I kinda miss free hunting...

Toxi

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
*Places trap*

*Gets knocked out of zone*

"Loading"

*Roll back into zone*

"Loading"

*Monster has already broken out of trap*

feline fury

Dec 8, 2017
Is there a comprehensive guide/video for training palicos in this game? Like which abilities to shoot for in prowlers and various support cats? I feel like I should be making use of my quest runs to improve my kitties :3

tuffy

Oct 25, 2017
Is there a comprehensive guide/video for training palicos in this game? Like which abilities to shoot for in prowlers and various support cats? I feel like I should be making use of my quest runs to improve my kitties :3
There's a scouting guide video which might be helpful:

along with a video about crafting Prowlers the way you want:

Toxi

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
Is it just me or does Basarios roar a lot more in this game? Going through high rank, really happy to see Nerscylla and Barroth again. Barroth seems like it got a significant speed buff since 3U, at least based on my memories of that game, and it's much more exciting for it.

I'm mostly playing Guild style, only really using Striker style for Lance (because it plays more like 4U). I tried Aerial Style and it still feels very gimmicky and awkward. Will probably give Valor a try some time.

Really disappointed with Impact Press; the adjustments to the move set feel awkward and I end up missing all my charged attacks. Even if it's super powerful, it doesn't feel good to use. Hammer really had bad luck with Hunter Arts.

ara

Oct 26, 2017
Thread seems dead, but might as well try: is GU generally more difficult than World? Not only does it obviously have none of the many QoL features World added, but it seems like gameplay itself is also even more deliberate, thanks to long potion chugging animations, long looting animations and so on.

I loved World but at some point it started to get a bit too hard for me, at least in solo.

GU seems to have an absolutely absurd amount of content, so as long as the overall difficulty level isn't too high I'd most likely be satisfied with the experience waaay before G-rank, which I doubt I could handle anyway. So would you guys say pre-G-rank GU (low rank to high rank) is comparable to all of World (low rank to high rank) in difficulty, or harder? Or maybe even easier in a way due to arts, styles etc.?

e: related to this: how easy is it to play with randoms online and how's the online population? Zero chance I could get any help for early/mid game quests?

Last edited:
OP
OP

spiritfox

Oct 26, 2017
I would say the difficulty isn't too different, but you need to get used to the fact that you are less mobile in GU. It only gets hard in later G rank and deviant quests, especially if you have been keeping up with your armor and weapon upgrades. The bigger issue might be the lack of information in the game regarding weapon builds and skills, and you'll have to look outside the game for a lot of information that would have been in the game if you were playing World. It's very easy to make mistakes with the old skill system, which is very obtuse.

I think there's still a number of people playing online, but I haven't touched the game in a while. MH veterans are always willing to help lower level players so as long as there's people around you should find some players to play with.

Edit: GU has a combat demo if you want to see if the combat clicks with you.

ara

Oct 26, 2017
Edit: GU has a combat demo if you want to see if the combat clicks with you.

Yeah, I actually just tried the easy and medium monsters and certainly enjoyed it, even in handheld mode. If you'll indulge me for just a minute longer, would you say the demo is comparable in difficulty to the full game? I actually had a pretty easy time with the medium difficulty monster, except for the fact that I ran out of time lol. But got super close to killing it and I believe hunts have a 50 min time limit in the full game anyway?

Typically I would've just bought the game by now, but I'm in the middle of a move and have to be careful with my money lol.

OP
OP

spiritfox

Oct 26, 2017
Yeah, I actually just tried the easy and medium monsters and certainly enjoyed it, even in handheld mode. If you'll indulge me for just a minute longer, would you say the demo is comparable in difficulty to the full game? I actually had a pretty easy time with the medium difficulty monster, except for the fact that I ran out of time lol. But got super close to killing it and I believe hunts have a 50 min time limit in the full game anyway?

Typically I would've just bought the game by now, but I'm in the middle of a move and have to be careful with my money lol.

The actual game is easier cause you don't have any skills or food buffs in the demo. You can easily make a Atk Up set in the actual game and get more dps.

By the way, I forgot to mention that there's a single player village option and a multiplayer gathering hall version, unlike World which merges them together. Don't just jump into the gathering hall and try to do them solo (if you're not great in the game) cause the monsters there have more HP and will be tough if you're soloing and not a veteran.

ara

Oct 26, 2017
The actual game is easier cause you don't have any skills or food buffs in the demo. You can easily make a Atk Up set in the actual game and get more dps.

By the way, I forgot to mention that there's a single player village option and a multiplayer gathering hall version, unlike World which merges them together. Don't just jump into the gathering hall and try to do them solo (if you're not great in the game) cause the monsters there have more HP and will be tough if you're soloing and not a veteran.

Cool, gotcha.

Well, shit. I guess I'll buy the game when I get home. I'm not suuuper keen on having to rely on google to learn about enemy weaknesses and so on, but I think I'll manage.

Hybris

Oct 25, 2017
Baton Rouge, Louisiana
Cool, gotcha.

Well, shit. I guess I'll buy the game when I get home. I'm not suuuper keen on having to rely on google to learn about enemy weaknesses and so on, but I think I'll manage.
There's some good resources for it, so you won't have to scour google links at least. Either phone apps or just by going to http://mhgu.kiranico.com. There's some gaps in the wiki, but they aren't until much later in the game.

ara

Oct 26, 2017
Ooh yeah, found an iOS app which seems to be heavily based on the kiranico site. Not sure if I'm understanding it 100%, but I'll definitely make heavy use of it.

e: woof, the skill system seems fucking insaaaane

Last edited:

Rhaknar

Oct 26, 2017
oh no... havent played in months, tried to boot it up just now, I dont remember any of it fuuuuuuck.

And I dont even mean combat, I mean game structure wise >_<

ara

Oct 26, 2017
I played MHGU for about 3-4 hours total over the weekend and I'm definitely enjoying it. Can't wait to finally get to some bigger, harder monsters, though - feels like I've been fighting almost nothing but small and medium jaggi/maccao variations for the first hours.

Quick early thoughts:
- Having to REALLY prepare before a hunt (compared to World) isn't as bad as I thought, mainly thanks to item sets - I currently have "combat" and "gathering" sets I'll just load whenever I'm off to a mission. Will have to do sets for gear too when I start getting more of it.
- Same goes for pickaxes, nets etc. being breakable regular items, although that's partially because the free DLC item sets very generously gave me 15 "mega" versions of each. My feelings on this might change when I've destroyed all of those.
- Aside from the above two things, I'm reeeaaally missing some of the QoL features of World lmao
- I love having two Palicos with me, but I have absolutely no idea what sort of Palicos I should be working towards lol. So now I just have a "Healing" one and an "Assisting" one.
- I really like how simple and small the villages are. Running between smithy, the canteen and the shops was always a pain in World, unfortunate to see that they actually regressed on this.
- And speaking of simple, I actually... Really dig the graphics. No needless clutter, and it's very easy to spot gathering/mining/catching/fishing points in the wild thanks to this. World has super busy graphics that took me a long time to get used to.
- Combat definitely feels janky compared to World and I still don't like how using items just stops me on my tracks for like fifteen years, but on the other hand, holy shit Hunter Arts are cool

e: also I have to appreciate the fact that they just straight up gave me a ton of platinum eggs and potions/mega potions/honeys in the DLC item packs. Figured the mega potion/money grind would be one of the more tiresome aspects of the game, now it looks like I might not have to farm that shit at all. Good times.

Last edited:

ara

Oct 26, 2017
Good grief, the amount of gear in this game is fucking staggering. I've only just reached three star missions and there's already 4-5 pages worth of armor per category to craft and like 10 different Long Swords I could make. Are there like.. Build guides for LR/HR/GR or something? Stuff like "optimal gear for LR Long Sword DPS build" or whatever. Cause I'm so overwhelmed by all the stuff I could do that I don't know what to do lol.

Currently I'm just running around with a Long Sword (which I'll stick with) and Attack Up (M) and Gathering (from the only talisman I have) skills. Attack Up seems like an obvious choice when so many of the other skills I could get right now are so situational.

Deleted member 4198

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Good grief, the amount of gear in this game is fucking staggering. I've only just reached three star missions and there's already 4-5 pages worth of armor per category to craft and like 10 different Long Swords I could make. Are there like.. Build guides for LR/HR/GR or something? Stuff like "optimal gear for LR Long Sword DPS build" or whatever. Cause I'm so overwhelmed by all the stuff I could do that I don't know what to do lol.

Currently I'm just running around with a Long Sword (which I'll stick with) and Attack Up (M) and Gathering (from the only talisman I have) skills. Attack Up seems like an obvious choice when so many of the other skills I could get right now are so situational.

I never bother with optimizing skills/weapons until I reach G rank - takes too much time for not a lot of benefit!

I usually just build whatever is easiest and has highest sharpness based on what I know I'm good at killing, eg Nargacuga stuff.

In GU when I reached high rank I built the ore armor and just used that until G rank haha.

In low rank a lot of people build something called bujabujabu, gives attack up large and is very easy. You should be able to find it on Google.

If you're trying out long sword try out the Brave style, the parry is sooooooo fun haha.

MarcelRguez

Nov 7, 2018
Does the game allow you to transfer you save data if the regions don't match? I have XX on my Japanese 3DS and I'd like to keep playing the game on my European Switch if I can.