• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Piscus

Oct 27, 2017
I've been torn on this game. I killed MHTri, MH#U, and MH4U, but barely touched MHGenerations. I have World and have played maybe 12 hours, but can't seem to get pulled in. I played the demo for this recently, though, and it all felt... familiar. Like coming home. Everything came back to me so naturally. I didn't expect this.

Khrol

Oct 28, 2017
My Switch is ready

The review scores are actually better than I was expecting

Lelouch0612

Oct 25, 2017
I've been torn on this game. I killed MHTri, MH#U, and MH4U, but barely touched MHGenerations. I have World and have played maybe 12 hours, but can't seem to get pulled in. I played the demo for this recently, though, and it all felt... familiar. Like coming home. Everything came back to me so naturally. I didn't expect this.

You know what to do then :p

Clear

Oct 25, 2017
Connecticut
Glad to see good reviews going up, as people have mentioned countless times there was concern that the review would just be a comparison to MHW and not a straight up review.

Just need to figure out if I want insect glavie or sword and board first.

cw_sasuke

Oct 27, 2017
Scores are quite nice for a post MHW release.
This game should have been out last summer in the west.

Vylder

Oct 25, 2017
Just curious, I've only played Monster Hunter World but I read that Generations has way more monsters. How far do reviewers generally get into the came before they write their review?

NSESN

â–˛ Legend â–˛
Oct 25, 2017
It getting lower scores because of World is unfair imo
But that is all Capcom's fault for releasing it so late

Raide

Banned
Oct 31, 2017
Just curious, I've only played Monster Hunter World but I read that Generations has way more monsters. How far do reviewers generally get into the came before they write their review?
It really depends on the reviewer. Some may have already played the Japanese version last year, so they would k ow how the content pans out.

It does have way more monsters but it's like the best of collection of the previous MH games. X AND XX being the most recent.

OP
OP

Deleted member 249

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
It getting lower scores because of World is unfair imo
But that is all Capcom's fault for releasing it so late
It's absolutely not unfair. If a new fan of the series post-World wants more Monster Hunter, or Monster Hunter on Switch, then it is a review's job to tell them that this isn't exactly the same thing. That's not the game's fault, sure, it's Capcom's, but it is what it is.

AzorAhai

Oct 29, 2017
I feel like most big games are rated 80+ this gen, so it doesn't mean anything to me. Still better than last gen's tendancy towards 90+ though.

NSESN

â–˛ Legend â–˛
Oct 25, 2017
There's a lot of bloat in terms of resource grinding that is really hard to go back to from World.
It also has a lot of more content, portability factor and monster variety
Until we have a 5th gen game on switch with G rank there is a lot of reasons to play GU

KneehighPark

Verified
Nov 13, 2017
Florida
Our review from We Got This Covered: 4/5

Monster Hunter Generations Ultimate looks gorgeous on the Nintendo Switch, and offers players who might have discovered the franchise earlier this year (with Monster Hunter World) a chance to check out the lands, monsters, and combat that made the franchise what it is today. Generations Ultimate is a perfect reminder to how far Capcom and the millions of hunters worldwide have come, and hopefully this is a sign that the developer will not forget Nintendo, as the franchise has now found success on bigger (and more powerful) hardware.

Last edited:

ghostcrew

The Shrouded Ghost
Administrator
Oct 27, 2017
Here we go here we go here we fucking go

As someone who has put a silly amount of hours into this game in Japanese since it came out last year - this game rules. If you like MH or are MH curious - you could do much worse.

Khrol

Oct 28, 2017

It depends. If they start fresh not very far at all. Probably just dabbled in the village quests but I doubt they finished that up.

gordofredito

Banned
Jan 16, 2018
That's definitely lower than expected.
But I guess it's because we live in a post-MH World world (heh)
Understandable, the QoL improvements on World are fundamental. I tried the demo of this one and I kind of hated it lol

Theswweet

RPG Site
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
California
RPG Site reviewer, here. Monster Hunter World had no impact on my score. I originally reviewed MHXX last year and we updated that review for MHGU's release.

EDIT: Also, I got to the endgame for my review. Me not liking deviant monsters as an endgame grind is part of what made my score relatively low. I'm a huge MH fan.

Anteo

Oct 25, 2017
RPG Site reviewer, here. Monster Hunter World had no impact on my score. I originally reviewed MHXX last year and we updated that review for MHGU's release.

Yeah not every reviewer that gives a lower score is going to refer to world but in the OT someone posted some text from other reviews and they do directly mention World.

Wandu

Oct 27, 2017
The score means absolutely nothing though. This is the expanded version of Generations. It's functionally identical but has more content.

It is still a different game/release, so it should still be compared to Generations, especially if it has more content. I don't care about it being compared to MHW because that does not have a Switch release.

Lyrick

Banned
Oct 25, 2017

It says the same thing in the exposition of your review. Without that context the paragraph on upgrading from the 3DS version of XX would definitely feel out of place.

It is still a different game/release, so it should still be compared to Generations, especially if it has more content. I don't care about it being compared to MHW because that does not have a Switch release.

The game is better than Generations, it includes the Generations content and adds a ton to it.

Reviews (especially when limiting them to a number) are not going to reflect that, the two games were reviewed two years apart on different platforms, by different people, with different comparison criteria.

Deleted member 38706

User requested account closure
Banned
Jan 19, 2018
It's a little odd because Monster Hunter World didn't compared to previous Monster Hunter releases when it came to content and post game.

The less shiny of the two will always get put down. Critics aren't much different from how certain World players react to old MH. You can bring up the flaws of World compared to old MH, and you'll get shut down for elitism. Do the opposite, and you'll have a lot of supporters echoing your hatred for old MH. In a way, the reviews of MHGU are an accurate reflection of how the community has turned out in a post-World world. If MHGU had World's graphics, it'll have a lot less complaints. If the console warring and hatred for handhelds weren't there, MH would have been popular in the west long ago. It's unfair, but that's how it is. At the very least, you can take solace in the fact that the MH community has largely remained unchanged in Japan and Asia. People treat old MH and World the same -- unlike the division in the west.

Anteo

Oct 25, 2017
So why does content matters in this case? Does GU have a much longer story?

I do agree that most reviewers would've stopped playing at the credits.

MH is not played for the story. And Gen doesnt even have one, its just a excuse to bring back the villages and stuff, and MH4U had credits for low rank village and high rank village storylines (because of MH4 and MH4G releases I guess).

Edit: I also dont expect reviewers to play the last part of such a long game (like G rank for gen U, which is the main adition of the game, but thats unlocked after low rank and high rank multiplayer questlines). I think reviews are good enough for new players that are interested in jumping in. Heck I myself only got to G2 rank in my first MH a week before MH4U released.

texhnolyze

Oct 25, 2017
Indonesia
MH is not played for the story. And Gen doesnt even have one, its just a excuse to bring back the villages and stuff, and MH4U had credits for low rank village and high rank village storylines (because of MH4 and MH4G releases I guess).
My point is, how could the reviewers know that GU has more content than World? I doubt they'd count the number of monsters they've encountered. It's not like World is lacking in content, it just has less content than GU.