• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

BDS

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I've been waiting for a sale on this, although $30 is still a bit pricey for my tastes. I might get it.

BDS

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
If something the game has is a staggering amount of content. If you like MH the game offers easily dozens and dozens of hours for 30$

I do love MH and I played Generations, so I'm hesitant to spend $30 for a game where half of it is a game I already own. I'm also not sure I can really go back to the old style of Monster Hunter after MHW anymore lol

Deleted member 5596

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I do love MH and I played Generations, so I'm hesitant to spend $30 for a game where half of it is a game I already own. I'm also not sure I can really go back to the old style of Monster Hunter after MHW anymore lol

That's understandable then if you already owned Gen. I feel as an "expansion" is still fine for 30$.

Honestly the old model of releasing expansion packs as full games sucked balls. Something like icebone is just much better.

Syril

Oct 26, 2017
Welp, this might be happening. Generations is a game I was a little mixed on, but I still played it for nearly 300 hours. At least have something until the nonspecific winter date for Iceborne.

Apr 9, 2019
CLT
Argh... I hope it goes back on sale soon or that this sale lasts for a week or so. I'm currently saving for a vacation and I've been looking to pick this up after some folks dissuaded me from MH:W.

cakely

Oct 27, 2017
Chicago
Thanks for the heads up! I'm strongly considering this, but ... man, I don't need another giant game to take up my time.

I think I can just hold out until Iceborne to get my fix.

Welp, this might be happening. Generations is a game I was a little mixed on, but I still played it for nearly 300 hours. At least have something until the nonspecific winter date for Iceborne.

We have a fall date for Iceborne: September 6th.

Unless you're talking about the PC version, in which case, yeah, no date yet.

MarcelRguez

Nov 7, 2018
What are the chances of an original MonHun for the Switch being announced at this E3? I'm tempted to get this despite owning the 3DS version, but I'll end up regretting it if the Switch gets a new game in the near future.

tuffy

Oct 25, 2017
What are the chances of an original MonHun for the Switch being announced at this E3? I'm tempted to get this despite owning the 3DS version, but I'll end up regretting it if the Switch gets a new game in the near future.
Capcom's recent financial forecast rules out a new Switch Monster Hunter in the near future. Fortunately, this one has a ton of content, even if you've already put a lot of hours into the 3DS version.

Juraash

Oct 25, 2017
I imported the Japanese version of this and played a ton with some folks here. Not totally sure I want to regrind through G-Rank again. 50% off though makes it super tempting.

MarcelRguez

Nov 7, 2018
Capcom's recent financial forecast rules out a new Switch Monster Hunter in the near future. Fortunately, this one has a ton of content, even if you've already put a lot of hours into the 3DS version.
Oh, I didn't about checking their recent financial reports. I'll dig some more, thanks.

RobotVM

Oct 27, 2017
Really good game. If you have played Worlds you will get the hang of this one pretty quick. You just lose a few QOL features.

Cloud-Hidden

Oct 30, 2017
I've bought and played 4 MonHun games in my life, including this one, and including world. I've never, ever experienced the game's multiplayer with a consistent group.

I've put like hours into this game after getting it at launch.

If anyone here lives in the US and has a similar schedule and wants to play maybe 2-3 hours a week on nights or weekends, I'm down for that. I won't be able to play a bunch, but want to play.

Ravelle

Oct 31, 2017
I've bought and played 4 MonHun games in my life, including this one, and including world. I've never, ever experienced the game's multiplayer with a consistent group.

Might not be for everyone but you have to adjust your mindset a little bit with the multiplayer, you just gotta drop in to a room and hope for the best, it might not be a good group but luckily the joining rooms mechanics are way better than world, if you're not happy with a group you can just walk out and look for another room, but as long the randoms you join up with are decent enough, it really doesn't matter much if it's different folks every time.

Once in a while though, you find that group of people that love the game as much as you do and every one in your party is in syn- with each other and it's like clockwork, I once ended up playing 3 hours with one group, we took turns doing each others quests and urgents, helping farming certain items etc. The overall attitude is also better than world because a lot of people are more than willing to exchange guild cards.

DrROBschiz

Oct 25, 2017
Excellent price for an Excellent game though I did want a physical version for collectors purposes

I suppose I could always get that later

Deleted member 10737

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
the demo left me so confused and as someone who hasn't played any MH before i basically had no idea what i was doing. i really wanted to get into this game too :(

Anteo

Oct 25, 2017
the demo left me so confused and as someone who hasn't played any MH before i basically had no idea what i was doing. i really wanted to get into this game too :(

Unfortunately MH demos are made for veterans so we can just test new mechanics. They are not a good representation of the gameplay loop or the learning curve or anything really. You dont even get to play around with armor skills or carve loot

Deleted member 10737

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Unfortunately MH demos are made for veterans so we can just test new mechanics. They are not a good representation of the gameplay loop or the learning curve or anything really. You dont even get to play around with armor skills or carve loot
yeah i've been told the demo is not a good representation of the game.

Deleted member 5596

Banned
Oct 25, 2017

Don't fall for that. The first hours of GU is filled with shitty gathering quests which is even a worse representation of the game. Actually the demo is the best way to have a feel of each weapon and the general combat mechanics, styles and some of the skills, since the game lacks a proper tutorial anyway.

Oct 27, 2017
Don't fall for that. The first hours of GU is filled with shitty gathering quests which is even a worse representation of the game. Actually the demo is the best way to have a feel of each weapon and the general combat mechanics, styles and some of the skills, since the game lacks a proper tutorial anyway.

So the game is pretty grindy, at least initially?

Also, how is this solo? Even moreso I don't have firends to play this with, so if I go online I'd be playing with randos.

Oh I don't have the online for my Switch :/

DrROBschiz

Oct 25, 2017
Great game. After World it was so nice to play a MH with actual content.

Rolling my eyes in the back of my head here but yes

Gen Ultimate is basically a culmination of damn near every thing they have released over the first 4 generations of MH

Its the best look back into the series history and is jam packed to the teeth with monsters, maps, and extras.

... and fucking 5th gen will get there damnit!

banter

Jan 12, 2018
The demo is a good representation of combat mechanics, but it doesn't teach you them so it's bad at the same time. The intro fetch quests aren't that bad, and they're also meant to help you get the hang of the combat against smaller monster so you won't be in over your head when the big ones come... but again, it doesn't tell you that. This is why most pre-world monster hunter players were generally brought in and taught by a friend, myself included.

Deleted member 10737

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
The demo is a good representation of combat mechanics, but it doesn't teach you them so it's bad at the same time. The intro fetch quests aren't that bad, and they're also meant to help you get the hang of the combat against smaller monster so you won't be in over your head when the big ones come... but again, it doesn't tell you that. This is why most pre-world monster hunter players were generally brought in and taught by a friend, myself included.
i see, seems like the game isn't newcomer friendly at the end of the day.

Syril

Oct 26, 2017

Also, how is this solo? Even moreso I don't have firends to play this with, so if I go online I'd be playing with randos.

If it's anything like the other pre-World games, the final rank, G, is multiplayer only, as in no single player quests. You can play it offline, but it's scaled for multiplayer.

brinstar

User requested ban
Oct 25, 2017

I wouldn't say it's any more grindy than any other MH game. Whether or not you'd enjoy it solo depends on what you're looking for. There's plenty to do solo, but there's not much of a story or anything. I'd strongly consider getting online for it though. If you can find 3 other pals to play this with you will never put it down lol

Deleted member 5596

Banned
Oct 25, 2017

Getting through the first hours is a chore more than grindy. Gathering takes a lot of time compared to MHW and any normal games released on the last 10 years. The good thing is that you can download, for free, DLC item packs which lessens the need to get stuff.

Solo is fine...well partially because, unlike MHW, a big chunk of the game is designed around multiplayer. That means that monster HP, for example, is way higher than the solo missions.

I definetly wouldn't recommend playing the game with no online. You'll miss like half or more of the content unless you are willing to deal with multiplayer missions solo, which I certainly wouldn't recommend.

Shoichi

Jan 10, 2018
I'd so get this game...but I decided to hold off on new games while I finish some of my backlog...haven't even gotten to play FFXII or Dragon Dogma yet...working through Tales of Vesperia

guess waiting for another sale lol

SuperSah

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Buy it.

It has the most content on any MH and if you can get past the lack of MHW QoL changes, it's phenomenal value and will EASILY last 500hrs minimum.

Anteo

Oct 25, 2017
i see, seems like the game isn't newcomer friendly at the end of the day.

Pre world MH games are obtuse. You have to play them with a guide. A lot of people say GU start is bad because you have SO MANY gathering quests to do but for example, in the first tier of quests there are only 2 gathering quests that are mandatory, so its not that bad. However the game never tells you this so a new player may get overwhelmed and bored with the amount of gathering quests before they get into the meat of the game not realizing they can skip most of them.

YukiroCTX

Prophet of Regret
Oct 30, 2017
Well worth it for any Switch owners. I really love the game. Actually found MHGU fairly easy to get into compared to Worlds since quite a few stuff is optional, the simpler hub and world to traverse. It's packed full of designs and monsters.