• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
Oct 25, 2017
Monster Hunter used to do G releases, Kingdom Hearts used to do Final Mix, Pokémon used to do third versions. In the last year we've seen all three franchises move from full priced re-releases to large scale expansions priced $30-$40.

Why the hell is Persona 5 Royal $60? And why do I have to trudge through 80% of the same content just for some minor remixes, with the new content largely placed at the end? Persona 5 Royal has no excuse to not be a $30 expansion. Why is Atlus stuck in 2005?

DecoReturns

Oct 27, 2017
I don't know the answer.

But Persona isn't at the level of MH, Pokémon and Kh. So maybe there's a connection there?

Kamiyouni

Oct 30, 2017
I feel the execution of the idea was already in motion. I wouldn't expect it in the next game.

Zen Hero

Oct 25, 2017
Atlus can do what they want, but all I know is that I'm not interested in buying Royal. I would be interested in DLC though.

Napalm_Frank

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
Finland
If I have to play the devil's advocate here it seems like Royal is actually ''built from scratch'' on PS4 with Pro enhancements, better textures and much faster load times. So under the hood it seems it could be a different game entirely.

The real reason is because suckers like me will buy it day 1

RLCC14

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
User banned (3 days): drive-by trolling and insults, previous infractions for similar
Weebs with disposable income and low intelligence.

cw_sasuke

Oct 27, 2017
Its a bit weird in 2019/2020 - in the past people didnt complain as much because PS3 didnt allow this kind of DLC and the other re-releases were on other plattforms.

Same kind of move with P5R is a bold move - but it seems to work for them, why would they change it ? They know their audience and couldnt care less about what works for other, much bigger mainstream IPs.

Can we not do this ?
Everyone is free to decide for themselves if the additions are worth full price for them - are we calling people that pay full price for Remakes or Classic re-releases also idiots ?

Also it will be the first time playing P5 for many players as well. Some including me, were hoping for a Switch release so i kinda skipped the original release. Well...i know better now lol.

All things considered its still a better version of one of the best JRPGs of this generation and there arent many games like it nowadays.

Aadiboy

Nov 4, 2017
Yeah, I think at this point Atlus is the only Japanese dev still doing full-priced re-releases. It made sense during the PS2 era, but there's really no reason to do it now.

Augemitbutter

Oct 25, 2017
as long as they make nice physical releases i don't care. You could always wait for a price drop, that's barely an issue.

I'd rather call out their dlc practices with tons of costumes or pay to win in former hardcore games.

Moltres006

Banned
Jan 5, 2019
Dont worry OP, I'm sure Sega/Atlus will learn from past mistakes and this wont happen with SMT V or P6.

Deleted member 9584

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Because Atlus is one of the most tone deaf companies in all of gaming?

Good luck getting them to acknowledge anything or even give people the chance to ask them why they do 99% of the bull crap they do.

I loved Persona 5 but I cannot bring myself to buy and play through that entire game again just to experience new content. I'll buy it if it a) drops so low in price (like sub $20) or b) it gets ported to another system where I can justify buying / playing it all again

Garrod Ran

self-requested ban
Banned
Mar 23, 2018
stuff like Maniax and FES was in a pre-DLC era
Portable and Golden were on handhelds
hell, SMT4A was literally a different game

Royal being a full price re-release on the same platform with no avenue for previous buyers to update is unambiguous gouging
it's asinine in this day and age to not expect better and no amount of "persona isn't that big" will excuse it
and it's not like they have problems with DLC in general, considering they're willing to sell (and make you rebuy) all those costumes and bonus personas

but it's not like they have much of a reason to change when their buyer base is full of self-admitted chumps, if ERA is anything to go by

FluxWaveZ

Persona Central
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
Those are also franchises big enough to have worldwide releases. Persona does not. The comparison is flawed.

Earthed

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Sep 26, 2019
Not sure what you're getting at, but you do realize those other companies aren't doing those things because they want to do you a favour, right? If they're doing it, it's because it's more profitable for them. Whatever Atlus does, the assumption is that for them, it's more profitable to do whatever it is they're doing.

Garrod Ran

self-requested ban
Banned
Mar 23, 2018
Those are also franchises big enough to have worldwide releases. Persona does not. The comparison is flawed.
monster hunter got big worldwide in a single entry, just like persona did with 5

persona is big enough to get multiple spin-offs, multiple anime series and movies, stage plays, musicals, barrels of merchandise, list goes on
they can afford to release a DLC expansion and not a whole ass new game

Nanashrew

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Because Atlus likes the milk their fans where they can and anywhere they can. Just look at how they handle the Dancing All Night games and splitting up content between different versions and editions.

Oct 25, 2017
The thought of having to play 120 hours again, PLUS the extra content sends shivers down my spine.

Played Persona 5 once. Beat it. Enjoyed it. Never again.

I would love to go and check out the new dungeon though. Ohh well.

cw_sasuke

Oct 27, 2017
Persona is being released in big markets though ?
Its also a million seller - between tons of spins-off, merchandise and having their characters show up in Smash Bros. mobile games like Another Code etc.

I dont think that excuse is legit anymore.
They are doing it because they can, not because its needed to keep the company afloat or something.
They know their market and price it accordingly.
Sounds about right.

Garrod Ran

self-requested ban
Banned
Mar 23, 2018
Because Atlus likes the milk their fans where they can and anywhere they can. Just look at how they handle the Dancing All Night games and splitting up content between different versions and editions.
putting the PS4 version of DAN in a special edition was borderline malicious

Deleted member 3038

Oct 25, 2017
Holy shit LMAO

Atlus does it because they know for a fact Persona fans froth at the mouth for additional content.

KH3 Didn't do it because Nomura saw success doing expacs with FFXV, MHW westernized the Franchise and expacs is where it's at here, & Nintendo I'm honestly surprised ngl.

FluxWaveZ

Persona Central
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
monster hunter got big worldwide in a single entry, just like persona did with 5

persona is big enough to get multiple spin-offs, multiple anime series and movies, stage plays, musicals, barrels of merchandise, list goes on
they can afford to release a DLC expansion and not a whole ass new game
Everything you listed can apply to something like Senran Kagura.

Persona is relatively big. But it is not Monster Hunter, Kingdom Hearts, or Pokemon big. Not by a long shot.
Persona is being released in big markets though ?
Its also a million seller - between tons of spins-off, merchandise and having their characters show up in Smash Bros. mobile games like Another Code etc.

I dont think that excuse is legit anymore.
They are doing it because they can, not because its needed to keep the company afloat or something.

Sounds about right.
Simultaneous worldwide release.

Richter1887

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Atlus. That the only reason.

At the very least they should offer a deal where you can get it for cheaper if you own the game.

Mik317

Oct 25, 2017
Because Persona isn't Monster Hunter, Kingdom Hearts or Pokemon?

Better yet because Atlus isn't Capcom, Square (or Disney) or Nintendo?

I know Atlus is on some of yalls shitlist but come on its not that hard of a concept to grasp.

Garrod Ran

self-requested ban
Banned
Mar 23, 2018
Everything you listed can apply to something like Senran Kagura.

Persona is relatively big. But it is not Monster Hunter, Kingdom Hearts, or Pokemon big. Not by a long shot.
i mean sure
but Senran Kagura also only did a same platform re-release when the 3DS didn't even support DLC
so if a smaller game by a smaller company than atlus can just release DLC, what's their excuse

Oct 26, 2017
Because Persona isn't Monster Hunter, Kingdom Hearts or Pokemon?

Better yet because Atlus isn't Capcom, Square (or Disney) or Nintendo?

I know Atlus is on some of yalls shitlist but come on its not that hard of a concept to grasp.

Atlus is owned by SEGA which is a bigger Corp than Capcom.

I love how people are still using this old excuse: "b-but Atlus is a small and poor publisher"