• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Dolce

Oct 25, 2017
After a lot more time with the demo, the UI is definitely too small for handheld mode. This is going to be the first game I play docked.

jchap

Oct 27, 2017
I've played this demo so much I've started practicing bugs like charged shell canceling unlimited hops with gunlance pretending they won't be fixed in retail.

CaptainK

Oct 29, 2017
Canada
I've deleted my save data for a second time now; this demo has me hooked. It's quite convenient to be able to jump into a hunt without having to prepare or even think about items and equipment. I also don't feel bad about picking a weapon I'm terribly ineffective with, because there's really no stakes. Well, I do feel bad about accidentally shooting people in the back with the bowguns though. I'll get better at gunning some day!

Dremorak

Oct 25, 2017
New Zealand
I've played the demo more times than I can count lol. Its just so darn fun! Going to try playing generations again to hold me over and see if that helps

Issen

Nov 12, 2017
After a lot more time with the demo, the UI is definitely too small for handheld mode. This is going to be the first game I play docked.
I play it almost exclusively in handheld mode and didn't have any issues. I could see it being a tad too small for the Lite, but on the OG I think it's just fine.

Norsuchamp

Feb 6, 2020
What do you guys and gals think that will be on the next demo? Are we staying on the current location or perhaps go to the snowy area to take on Barioth, Lagombi and Great Baggi? When will the demo (alongside with the next MonHu Direct) drop? Is it coming on week prior the release or even sooner, let's say late February or early March?

Bonejack

Oct 27, 2017
What do you guys and gals think that will be on the next demo? Are we staying on the current location or perhaps go to the snowy area to take on Barioth, Lagombi and Great Baggi? When will the demo (alongside with the next MonHu Direct) drop? Is it coming on week prior the release or even sooner, let's say late February or early March?

If i had to guess, it's be the beginning part of the game with gather stuff, "get to know" stuff, smaller / easier monsters and save data tansfer into the full game.

tuffy

Oct 25, 2017
I'm anticipating the "advanced" quest in the next demo will have Magnamalo and Rathalos (since they were seen tangling in the trailer), and maybe Izuchi to round things out. Presumably in the same area. And late February/early March sounds about right for a release window.

Manu

Oct 27, 2017
Buenos Aires, Argentina
Same demo except Magnamalo added as an "Expert" quest.

viotech3

Jul 31, 2020
Maryland
If i had to guess, it's be the beginning part of the game with gather stuff, "get to know" stuff, smaller / easier monsters and save data tansfer into the full game.
Not a chaaaaance. Advanced Quest, either weeks after Feb 2nd or final week before feb 2nd. MH demos are like this, they've never done that sort of demo & I anticipate never will

Bonejack

Oct 27, 2017
Not a chaaaaance. Advanced Quest, either weeks after Feb 2nd or final week before feb 2nd. MH demos are like this, they've never done that sort of demo & I anticipate never will

Shame, a demo that gives me the chance to start the full game with the good stuff instead of the boring crap is more useful for me than just hammering a difficult monster with some pre-made gear. ;D

Dolce

Oct 25, 2017
I play it almost exclusively in handheld mode and didn't have any issues. I could see it being a tad too small for the Lite, but on the OG I think it's just fine.

The biggest issue is the text size, for me. The map can be a bit hard to read when you're looking at what spawns where, too but I don't need to use that often.

EsMgSm7VkAETLkd

On the Switch screen, the d-pad buttons shown next to the item usage are so tiny they're blurry. Most of the text in game is just small enough that looking at it for a while is pretty exhausting.

Vuze

Oct 25, 2017
Some emulator screenshots for eye candy (mixed resolutions, most are about 1620p as the guest Switch just nopes out beyond that for now)
ryujinx_1.0.6341_-_moykkhp.jpg

(Admittedly cherry picked fps 😛 But it is very playable on my machine, basically full speed with some extra headroom! Excited for the progress the team achieves until release.)
ryujinx_1.0.0-dirty_-ecjnl.jpg

Dolce

Oct 25, 2017
EsNjm9nVgAE5ASc

Another good example of how tiny the UI is is the item wheel. On the handheld screen it's extremely small.

ReDelicious

Oct 27, 2017
Some emulator screenshots for eye candy (mixed resolutions, most are about 1620p as the guest Switch just nopes out beyond that for now)

(Admittedly cherry picked fps 😛 But it is very playable on my machine, basically full speed with some extra headroom! Excited for the progress the team achieves until release.)
ryujinx_1.0.0-dirty_-ecjnl.jpg

Whoa wait, what is this you're using? I think I may need this in my life.

Neiteio

Oct 25, 2017
Tried the demo last night. I, uh, kinda hate it so far.

Sheathing and unsheathing is so cumbersome, the Great Sword makes you tiptoe, I keep drinking potions by mistake, all of the armor looks ugly except the ninja outfits in the marketing (I would probably stop crafting armor once I get the ninja outfit), and there's a ridiculous amount of stuff to collect, so much so that I spend more time reading than playing (all while the tutorial NPC repeats the same "hey come here" line every three seconds). It's just not fun.

At least, not yet. I quit World for similar reasons, but I would like to click with Rise since the setting and creature designs look great. (Also digging those twins!)

So far, sliding down hills and drifting with the dog is the only fun part, but I need to play more, I suppose. The wirebug seems a bit too input-heavy.

Harmony

Dec 1, 2019
Japan
Tried the demo last night. I, uh, kinda hate it so far.

Sheathing and unsheathing is so cumbersome, the Great Sword makes you tiptoe, I keep drinking potions by mistake, all of the armor looks ugly except the ninja outfits in the marketing (I would probably stop crafting armor once I get the ninja outfit), and there's a ridiculous amount of stuff to collect, so much so that I spend more time reading than playing (all while the tutorial NPC repeats the same "hey come here" line every three seconds). It's just not fun.

At least, not yet. I quit World for similar reasons, but I would like to click with Rise since the setting and creature designs look great. (Also digging those twins!)

So far, sliding down hills and drifting with the dog is the only fun part, but I need to play more, I suppose. The wirebug seems a bit too input-heavy.

The demo doesn't really teach you any of the controls, so you're pretty much left to your own devices to learn the ins and outs. Although I'd be happy to offer some pointers, if it'd help

You can liken all the different weapon classes in the game to different fighting game characters with different gimmicks. The great sword's moveset in particular is focused around the hit-and-run style, where you'd charge and land a slash when you see an opening, dodge, resheathe and repeat. (Hence the really slow unsheathed movement speed)

As for the armor looking ugly, you could look up an armor compilations of some of the sets from Monster Hunter World to see if there's any others that kindle your fancy. The recent games have come with some form of armor layering where you could wear any pieces for it's skills with the aesthetic of another, so you could probably expect Rise to do the same.

Mizu gear looking lush!

Mizu female armor still looks amazing!

Last edited:

Neiteio

Oct 25, 2017
The demo doesn't really teach you any of the controls, so you're pretty much left to your own devices to learn the ins and outs. Although I'd be happy to offer some pointers, if it'd help

You can liken all the different weapon classes in the game to different fighting game characters with different gimmicks. The great sword's moveset in particular is focused around the hit-and-run style, where you'd charge and land a slash when you see an opening, dodge, resheathe and repeat. (Hence the really slow unsheathed movement speed)

As for the armor looking ugly, you could look up an armor compilations of some of the sets from Monster Hunter World to see if there's any others that kindle your fancy. The recent games have come with some form of armor layering where you could wear any pieces for it's skills with the aesthetic of another, so you could probably expect Rise to do the same.

I want to like the game. I appreciate the tips.

I'm sure it's a well-made game but I will have to try some more to see if it can click with me.

Bonejack

Oct 27, 2017
I want to like the game. I appreciate the tips.

I'm sure it's a well-made game but I will have to try some more to see if it can click with me.

From your previous post, it sounds like you value mobility. So i'd try to test out fast weapons that don't drag your mobility. Dual Blades, Sword and Shield, Insect Glaive, for example.

And yeah, be sure to hit that training map first and play around there learning the inputs for your chosen weapon(s).

Murr

Banned
Dec 5, 2019

It really can't be overstated how every weapon is basically a different game. Looking at speedruns of a Great Sword Mizu hunt and a Long Sword equivalent, you can see that both weapons center their optimal playstyle around prediction, but they take entirely different approaches to it. One's Ganondorf and the other is Marth! The Bowguns are third-person shooters!!! No one knows what the Gunlance is supposed to be, not even its users. A dozen installments in and almost two decades later, they all have their own identities, and half the fun is trying to wrap yourself around them. The other half is doing the same with the monsters.

(Don't be discouraged by the skill displayed in those videos, the game is balanced around the average player being roughly one-fifth as efficient/precise)

Out of them all, I would suggest the Hammer or Dual Blades as the most easily grasped. The Hammer has only one mission: apply directly to forehead, and it lacks any crutch-ish mechanics that could form bad habits transitioning to other weapons. Meanwhile, the Dual Blades have an extremely forgiving dodge that no other weapon has, and almost no commitment to its offence.

You can ignore the Wirebug as anything but a gap-closer/panic button when starting out, if that helps.

donpiano

Nov 15, 2017
So does the demo become unplayable on February 1st? Or is it just gone from the eShop but still playable if you downloaded it?

Neiteio

Oct 25, 2017
My character is hungry, how do I eat? I am reading through the in-game notes, searching on Google, etc. It seems like there's no way to actually use the meat when I select it in my field pouch. And the radial keeps selecting and wasting other items like throwing knives.

This is such a terribly designed title from a user interface standpoint.

Neiteio

Oct 25, 2017
Only five minutes left in the hunt, any help on how to restore stamina would be appreciated, been trying to figure it out for 10 minutes now

Ozzie

One Winged Slayer
Jan 12, 2018
Only five minutes left in the hunt, any help on how to restore stamina would be appreciated, been trying to figure it out for 10 minutes now
Eat steak or rations, it restores your stamina.

Hold L button, and press A or B to go through your pouch 1 by 1 and then let go. Then you press Y button to use the item. Your weapon has to be sheathed in order to use items.

Redcrayon

Patient hunter
On Break
Oct 27, 2017
UK
My character is hungry, how do I eat? I am reading through the in-game notes, searching on Google, etc. It seems like there's no way to actually use the meat when I select it in my field pouch. And the radial keeps selecting and wasting other items like throwing knives.

This is such a terribly designed title from a user interface standpoint.
Are you trying to eat raw meat? Cook it first by selecting the BBQ, the mini game is quite fun. Don't do this while fighting, obviously!

You need to eat a rare/well-done steak or rations, you can also find the steaks in your tent and the rations in the blue box. In the game you'll almost always be given rations to take with you and can stockpile well-down steak to your hearts content.

I found the radial menu a bit touch and go but you can go into the settings and have it require a click to confirm. You can also put the things you need the most on the compass points to make them easier to select.

Neiteio

Oct 25, 2017
Eat steak or rations, it restores your stamina.

Hold L button, and press A or B to go through your pouch 1 by 1 and then let go. Then you press Y button to use the item. Your weapon has to be sheathed in order to use items.
This worked, though it's actually A and Y to scroll when holding L. What a terribly designed system. It's weird you can't just select it and use it in your inventory.

I can't remember the last time a game made me mad like this. I seriously doubt it needs to be this convoluted.

Ozzie

One Winged Slayer
Jan 12, 2018
This worked, though it's actually A and Y to scroll when holding L. What a terribly designed system. It's weird you can't just select it and use it in your inventory.

I can't remember the last time a game made me mad like this. I seriously doubt it needs to be this convoluted.
Woops, I don't why I said B lol.

Also, when you hold the L button, you can use the right analogue stick to rotate in the radial menu. It is a shortcut to items. You push the right stick to an item you want and let go and your Hunter will use the item.

Neiteio

Oct 25, 2017
Woops, I don't why I said B lol.

Also, when you hold the L button, you can use the right analogue stick to rotate in the radial menu. It is a shortcut to items. You push the right stick to an item you want and let go and your Hunter will use the item.
I know about the radial but my steaks weren't on it. I couldn't figure out how to assign items to it. Still don't know. I changed things so that I click R to select radial items, which at least reduces accidental use.

My hunt ran out of time. I got the leader of the raptor monsters to stagger away wounded.

Ozzie

One Winged Slayer
Jan 12, 2018
I know about the radial but my steaks weren't on it. I couldn't figure out how to assign items to it. Still don't know. I changed things so that I click R to select radial items, which at least reduces accidental use.

My hunt ran out of time. I got the leader of the raptor monsters to stagger away wounded.
Ah alright. In order to edit your radial menus, press start and use the D pad to get to radial menu options and from there you can edit multiple radial menus.

Sheldon

Oct 27, 2017
Ruhrgebiet, Germany
I beat the first hunt, still using the Great Sword. Game is clicking more.

My best advice at this point is not to jump straight to Mizutsune. Keep practicing on Arzuros, the bear-badger-like second monster in the raptor's stage. It's a great fight to learn the fundamentals of Monster Hunter combat - slightly more punishing than Great Izuchi, but easier to read since there's no distractig smaller critters to get in the way.

After that upgrade to Rathalaos on the "intermediate" quest, maybe.

Neiteio

Oct 25, 2017
My best advice at this point is not to jump straight to Mizutsune. Keep practicing on Arzuros, the bear-badger-like second monster in the raptor's stage. It's a great fight to learn the fundamentals of Monster Hunter combat - slightly more punishing than Great Izuchi, but easier to read since there's no distractig smaller critters to get in the way.

After that upgrade to Rathalaos on the "intermediate" quest, maybe.
I'm actually playing Mizutsune right now, it's a gorgeous-looking monster but at one point the Izuchi guy was back and somehow I started riding on its back. Not sure how I did that.

Bonejack

Oct 27, 2017
I'm actually playing Mizutsune right now, it's a gorgeous-looking monster but at one point the Izuchi guy was back and somehow I started riding on its back. Not sure how I did that.

That's one of the new features in Rise, Wyvern Riding. I guess Mizu and Izuchi got into a turf war (fight between large monsters) and while they are fighting each other you can mount the monster via the Wirebugs.
You can achieve this via other means, like frequently using Wirebug moves and covering a monster in their silk-strings with that.

While riding, you can use attacks from the monster to fight, or you can have them crash into walls / big objects for damage.

Make sure you play the Wyvern Riding tutorial when you have the chance.

Sheldon

Oct 27, 2017
Ruhrgebiet, Germany

Mizutsune slamming into it and then you pressing the attack button anywhere close to Izuchi will do that.

For more ways, let "Hey come here" dude teach you in the wyvern riding tutorial, which is secretly the best training mission as it hands you an unkillable Arzuros punching bag in a flat enclosed arena where monsters won't run or surprise join the fight.