• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

vestan

#REFANTAZIO SWEEP
Dec 28, 2017
Double winner, huh?

Fortnite, Dragon Quest Builders 2, OCTOPATH TRAVELER, and Pokemon: Let's Go all received Excellence Awards. Kirby won Character of the Year while Sakurai won MVP of the Year. Capcom won Developer of the Year and Octopath won the Best Game Music Award.

D3Yev1_UIAAgiSG.jpg

D3Y2Na2V4AAH-bU.jpg

D3Yki79U4AAkgAA.jpg

D3Yz2pbV4AAQcjM.jpg

D3Y85RbUEAA9HNj.jpg

Last edited:

ASaiyan

Oct 25, 2017
C'mon Famitsu, don't give a cop-out answer like that. Tell us who's your number one.
...Surely one company paid them more than the other...

Cactuar

Banned
Nov 30, 2018
God of War was robbed. This win sends a dangerous message.

J/k. Monster Hunter was my most played game all of last year alongside Street Fighter V.

Tibarn

Oct 31, 2017
Barcelona
Smash was my 2018 GOTY, and never played MHW more than a few minutes. But yeah Famitsu ignoring western games is what you can expect.

May 5, 2018
I honestly didn't know Famitsu's mascot was a western styled cartoon cat. Sort of looks like Bubsy. Anyways congrats to Sakaruai and the team for Smash getting some recognition.

Clive

Oct 25, 2017
Was going to write something along the lines of "nice to see some lesser known titles get excellence awards" but then I realized that Dragon Quest Builders 2 and Octopath probably outsold the likes of God of War, RDR2 and Spider-Man in Japan. It feels as mainstream as western awards do, if you consider what sells in Japan. Astro Bot keeps getting robbed, even in his home country.

OP
OP
vestan

vestan

#REFANTAZIO SWEEP
Dec 28, 2017
Also Kirby won Character of the Year while Sakurai won MVP of the Year.

Capcom won Developer of the Year.

Kolx

Oct 25, 2017
The 2 games that sold the most last year... I see you there Famitsu.
W Dragon Quest Builders 2 and Octopath probably outsold the likes of God of War, RDR2 and Spider-Man in Japan.
I think Spider-Man actually outsold Octopath easily and was close to DQB2 number on PS4 and Switch combined.

Last edited:

WestEgg

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Marth is a better Fighter then Champions Link, honestly.
My understanding was he was always on the low end of fire emblem protagonists in terms of raw strength and fighting ability (Ike being far higher) and his skills were more in strategy and leadership. Champion Link on the other hand has all sorts of ridiculous abilities (time stop is basically ZA WARUDO) and better solo combat feats.

Dierce

Oct 27, 2017
Has a non Japanese game ever won the Famitsu game of the year award? Seems very intolerant of them if they only consider Japanese games worthy of the prize.

OP
OP
vestan

vestan

#REFANTAZIO SWEEP
Dec 28, 2017
Has a non Japanese game ever won the Famitsu game of the year award?
Nope. But if any western game is going to win their game of the year award, it's going to be TESVI or GTA 6.

Bethesda Game Studios and Rockstar Games are the only western developers Famitsu has given a perfect 40/40 score to.

Oct 25, 2017
Side thought, but while I'm confident that Link and Shulk could each solo Rathalos, could Marth? If I recall, he's not especially strong in his own canon.
If Rathalos is considered a dragon, all Marth would need is a few good hits because he's wielding the Falchion which was created as a dragonslayer.

And Rathalos really should be considered a dragon - I mean come on, just look at him

Forkball

Oct 25, 2017
Has a non Japanese game ever won the Famitsu game of the year award? Seems very intolerant of them if they only consider Japanese games worthy of the prize.
Different tastes. Outside of Zelda which was a landmark title, what was the last Japanese game to rack up the majority of GotY awards in the west? 2018 was God of War, 2016 was Overwatch, 2015 was Witcher, 2014 Dragon Age, 2013 Last of Us etc.

faced

Dec 17, 2017
Monster Hunter will be the 3rd dlc character

Smash ultimate is also the best smash has been imo, I hope to be playing it for a while.

Deleted member 10737

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
full list of winners:

Game of the Year

– Monster Hunter: World (Capcom)
– Super Smash Bros. Ultimate (Nintendo)

Excellence Prize

– Octopath Traveler (Square Enix)
– God of War (Sony)
– Judgment (SEGA)
– Super Smash Bros. Ultimate (Nintendo)
– Detroit: Become Human (Sony)
– Dragon Quest Builders 2 (Square Enix)
– Fate/Grand Order (FGO Project)
– Fortnite (Epic Games)
– Pokemon: Let's Go, Pikachu / Eevee (The Pokemon Company / Nintendo)
– Marvel's Spider-Man (Sony)
– Monster Hunter: World (Capcom)
– Red Dead Redemption 2 (Rockstar Games)

Rookie Award

– Detroit: Become Human (Sony)

Favorite App Award

– LINE: Disney Tsum Tsum (LINE)

Special Award

– Astro Bot: Rescue Mission (Sony)

Best Character Award

– Kirby (Kirby series)

Best Game Music Award

Best Game Maker Award

– Capcom

MVP Award

– Masahiro Sakurai (Sora)

RochHoch

One Winged Slayer
May 22, 2018
Octopath getting snubbed for Best OST at the VGA's pisses me off to this day, so it winning here pleases me very much

Shadoken

Oct 25, 2017

They are about as "intolerant" as the rest of the world.

Game awards are usually a combination of Critical Acclaim and Sales , regardless of country. MHW and Smash are in noway "inferior" to GOW or RDR2. So its not like they are just handing out the award because the game is made in Japan.

Its just like how a Japanese game rarely wins GOTY at TGAs or something.

The only two is BOTW and RE4 , both which sold quite well.
https://gotypicks.blogspot.com/
Ever since 2003. Its also funny how its mostly just ND,Rockstar and Bethesda.

Shadoken

Oct 25, 2017
Can anyone explain what the "Rookie Award" is? I'm guessing it's just for new IPs, because there's no way that anyone could realistically call Quantic Dream rookies.

Considering the other title is Octopath , I'd say yea its definitely New IP. Noway they gonna call Sqaure a rookie lol. Might me a mistranslation ? May its like Newcomer award or something.

grand

Oct 25, 2017
Famitsu is the equivalent to the VGAs giving Game of the Year to Madden 2004.

TreIII

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Columbia, MD

Shadoken

Oct 25, 2017
Famitsu is the equivalent to the VGAs giving Game of the Year to Madden 2004.

Didn't they give it to Madden because of User voting ? Is this the same too? If not then I'd say them giving the award to Smash or MHW is pretty much like any other Western site giving it to GOW or RDR2.

I don't see how anyone could compare either of those titles to a yearly franchise like Madden.

Thatguy

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Seattle WA
attachment.php

and I just can't understand how Smash could possibly be in the conversation. It's the WiiU game plus a handfull of newcomers and a jpeg board game map solo campaign. Whereas MHW was a full reinvention of the franchise from the ground up going full multiplat and adding so much polish and earthy detail.

Cowards.

NotLiquid

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
attachment.php

and I just can't understand how Smash could possibly be in the conversation. It's the WiiU game plus a handfull of newcomers and a jpeg board game map solo campaign. Whereas MHW was a full reinvention of the franchise from the ground up going full multiplat and adding so much polish and earthy detail.

Cowards.
Big bait