• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

LordOfLore

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Stockholm, Sweden
Link.

During a recent preview event, I asked Monster Hunter series producer Ryozo Tsujimoto whether his team ever considered adding loot boxes to Monster Hunter World. "I think that Monster Hunter has already built that kind of randomized, item reward into the gameplay," he answered. "Whenever you carve a monster after a hunt, you don't know what you're gonna get within a certain range. You've got certain rare parts that you almost never get. You've got some of the ones you don't need that you get a lot of. And then there are the rewards for the quest as well. There are some [rewards] that are standard, there are some that are randomized, and a bit bigger or smaller chance of getting them."

He explained that it just felt like Monster Hunter World doesn't need that kind of system. "You've already kind of got loot as a core gameplay aspect without having to shove a microtransaction version of it in," Tsujimoto said.

The mechanics are, essentially, a part of the game, but what about saving a player's time? "Our focus is on wanting to get people to play our action game and feel the kind of satisfaction that comes with the achievement you get with completing a hunt and getting rewards," Tsujimoto said. "We want people to have the experience that we've made for them rather than the option to skip the experience."

More at the link.

KZXcellent

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Time savers and lootboxes would basically ruin Monster Hunter. Good to see they are against it.

stupei

Oct 26, 2017
Yeah, he's not wrong that their game already has the anticipation and randomization dynamic without having to pay for it. (Like costumes used to be in fighting games.)

Widdowmaker

Oct 31, 2017
Great Britain
THANK FUCK! I was so worried that Monster Hunter World's would be infested with loot boxes, because I could see it being implemented easily, but I'm glad to hear this.

Deleted member 17952

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
"We want people to have the experience that we've made for them rather than the option to skip the experience."

There's your entire argument against "more options" people.

Nirolak

Oct 25, 2017
What is the business model for this game on this note?

DLC? New $60 expansion annually?

Xion_Stellar

Oct 25, 2017
You guys will hunt for those 2% Plates/Rubies and enjoy doing it!!

Thank goodness we are not going into Loot box nonsense yet but I do expect tons of Costume/Glamour DLC

What is the business model for this game on this note?

They could go the traditional route of releasing Monster Hunter World Ultimate in 1 year for $60 and a $30-40 upgrade fee for current Monster Hunter World owners

Or

They could go the Monster Hunter Frontier route and and treat Monster Hunter World as a Plataform and release $15-$30 Hunting Packs every time they add a bundle of Monsters and 1 area.

Last edited:

Cess007

Oct 27, 2017
B.C., Mexico
He explained that it just felt like Monster Hunter World doesn't need that kind of system. "You've already kind of got loot as a core gameplay aspect without having to shove a microtransaction version of it in," Tsujimoto said.

But, but... what about giving the players the options? /s

Man, I don't even really like MonHun, but I will give it another try on the Beta just due this.

mas8705

Oct 27, 2017
Glad to see that the Dauntless and Monster Hunter teams are in agreement about Lootboxes and how there's no need for them since in some ways, it is already random on what we can carve and get at the end of a hunt.

As if we needed any more reasons to be happy with MHW coming out in less than three months. ^__^

Salty Rice

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Pancake City
Kudos for this response.

He is right that loot is already a core part of the game and shouldnt be touched.

Wish other greedy publishers would see it the same way...

Neoxon

Spotlighting Black Excellence - Diversity Analyst
Oct 25, 2017
Houston, TX
Wow, an actually good response from Capcom. This is refreshing.

Good shit, Tsujimoto. Can't wait for MHW to drop.

Stowaway Silfer

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
Fantastic answer!
Even the time-saving excuse that's often thrown around as an excuse for this stuff is BS. Do you consider people going through the game's default structure for rewards a waste of time? If so, your game is bad and you should change it. Cause that's what "time-saving microtransactions" essentially say.

chrisPjelly

Avenger
Oct 29, 2017
Good response. I barfed at the thought of microtransactions being forced into in an already loot orientated game such as MonHun.

No Depth

Oct 27, 2017
Yea, some newcomers will ultimately discover they despise the monster part-gathering gameplay loop in Jan.(expect discussion to be a hot mess at launch), but adding in shortcuts to appease those progression fanatics would literally decimate the design framework.

Expected really, but glad they aren't considering regardless.

Xion_Stellar

Oct 25, 2017
Generally Monster Hunter DLC is free.
That's only because all of the "DLC" is already on Disc/Cartridge and no extra resources were used to make it they simply locked that content out on release. Also Capcom did charge Money for extra content in Monster Frontier and considering the effort they are putting into the game this time around I expect both free and paid content.

Brock

Oct 28, 2017
Pewter City Gym
Great to hear. Paid DLC would be a much better than loot boxes if they choose to go down that route. It leaves it more or less up to the individual player if they feel like they want additional content or not

F4r0_Atak

Oct 31, 2017
Home
It's really great to hear. Already spent too much with just the new games that came out and that are coming out. Don't want to spend extra money for DLCs I barely use. :/

JazzmanZ

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
That's only because all of the "DLC" is already on Disc/Cartridge and no extra resources were used to make it they simply lockex that content out on release. Also Capcom did charge Money for extra content in Monster Frontier and considering the effort they are putting into the game this time around I expect both free and paid content.
Isn't Frontier their pay to play MMO

Hybris

Oct 25, 2017
Baton Rouge, Louisiana
That's only because all of the "DLC" is already on Disc/Cartridge and no extra resources were used to make it they simply lick that content out on release. Also Capcom did charge Money for extra content in Monster Frontier
"No extra resources" is a little disingenuous. A lot of the DLC quests had collaborative armor sets and weapons with other companies. Just like this one will have Aloy's armor and bow. But I get your point.

A developer considerate of our time, money, and experience!?!?!?!?! Wow, they are still out there. Thank goodness.
Well, only if you're into the gameplay loop of MH to begin with. I imagine a lot of newcomers are going to be banging their heads when they start going after rare material drops, even after they figure out the ideal route to ensuring the highest number of chances to get one.

Enforcer

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
Can you imagine...

$5 for a tail loot box
$10 for a horn loot box
$20 for a gem loot box

Tengrave

Avenger
Oct 26, 2017
Great answer. This just adds to the goodwill and momentum they have heading into the beta and beyond.