• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
Oct 25, 2017
Throughout 90+ hours of Monster Hunter World, I have discovered that a lot - if not the majority - would make really dope metal band names. So I am officially ranking them as such! I am trying not to consider the design or moveset of the monsters when deciding this as much, but they usually coincide pretty well anyway so just like, imagine them on the cover of an album.

(Note I am not including variants of monsters like Black Diablos, even though that's pretty metal)

27. PUKEI-PUKEI. Are you shitting me?

25/26. KULA-YA-KU AND TZITZI-YA-KU. No. Just no.

23/24. GREAT JAGRAS/GREAT GIRROS. Maybe as just "Jagras" or "Girros" these would be a little bit higher but the great ruins it because they aren't great at all and barely even pose a fight.

22. PAOLUMU. I mean its not terrible like the first two entries but it would be nobodies first pick.

21. TOBI-KADACHI. Sorry electric squirrel rat dragon thing but at least you aren't the worst contender.

20. LEGIANA. A bit too fancy and elegant for a band name, sorry.

19. XENO'JIIVIA. That's a very JRPG last boss name, and there are cooler ones out there like DEATHEVAN from Breath of Fire 2.

18. KIRIN. Pretty simple and to the point, but its also a unicorn thing and a pretty Japanese name. Its a better fit then Toby at least.

17. KUSHALA DAORA. If it wasn't for KUSH being in the name it'd be a great contender, but its a wind dragon with KUSH in the name you are asking to get roasted.

16. ZORAH MAGDAROS. To me, Zorah Magdaros is in the position where its a good monster name but not a great band name. You could do worse.

15. BARROTH. A bit simple really, but good 'ol Barry is a decent contender as long as no one figures out he rolls around in mud like a loser.

14. LAVASIOTH. A creature that swims in Lava is very metal but everyone calls him Lava Sloth which is NOT METAL.

13. JYURATADOROS. TOO HARD TO PRONOUNCE, NEXT.

12. DODOGAMA. The name is pretty cool for a fat-ass toad that burps explosions, but Dodogamas are PUNK LOSERS and die in like 20 hits so nah.

11. RATHALOS. There is no way around it, Rathalos is pretty cool. But as a band name, Rathian just has a better ring to it, you know?

10. URAGAAN. He rolls around and pops out bombs which is cool, but his chin is HILARIOUSLY large. What a dork.

9. RADOBAAN. Its a roly-poly covered in the bones of its enemies, but also its pretty docile which ISN'T METAL. However it has RAD in its name, which is RAD.

8. TEOSTRA. Perhaps a tad to noble and refined, but a good name nonetheless.

7. BAZELGEUSE. Sure it sounds really close to Beetle Juice but it also sounds close to Betelgeuse which is a big ass star and that's cool. Also he is a living dive bomber with a bomb beard and a huge jerkass who interrupts every fight.

6. DIABLOS. The only downside to Diablos is that the name is almost too metal. Like seriously, doesn't that just mean Devils? UNORIGINAL BUT COOL.

5. RATHIAN. There is just something about the way Rathian is pronounced that makes it more badass then Rathalos, despite being the weaker of the two.

4. VAAL HAZAK. Lets ignore that Vaal Hazak spawns from a pile of rotten Monster bodies - which by itself is extremely metal - to focus on the fact that its NAME IS VAAL HAZAK HOLY SHIT.

3. NERGIGANTE. Not only is Nigel the most BRUTAL of all monsters, his name is BRUTAL TOO.

2.ODOGARON. Holy crap its a viscous red dog with like 10 talons on each foot and a weirdo splitting mouth that hangs out in Corpse Valley. How do you get anything harder then that?

1. ANJANATH. I am fairly certain that this is already a band name. If I never played Monster Hunter and you told me to listen to Anjanath I would not think twice about it.

HONORABLE MENTION TO DEVILJHO WHO ISN'T IN THE GAME YET. Same issue as Diablos where the name is too on the nose.

DON'T @ ME BY THE WAY.

Rychu

Oct 25, 2017
Utah, USA
Throughout 90+ hours of Monster Hunter World, I have discovered that a lot - if not the majority - would make really dope metal band names. So I am officially ranking them as such! I am trying not to consider the design or moveset of the monsters when deciding this as much, but they usually coincide pretty well anyway so just like, imagine them on the cover of an album.

(Note I am not including variants of monsters like Black Diablos, even though that's pretty metal)

27. PUKEI-PUKEI. Are you shitting me?

25/26. KULA-YA-KU AND TZITZI-YA-KU. No. Just no.

23/24. GREAT JAGRAS/GREAT GIRROS. Maybe as just "Jagras" or "Girros" these would be a little bit higher but the great ruins it because they aren't great at all and barely even pose a fight.

22. PAOLUMU. I mean its not terrible like the first two entries but it would be nobodies first pick.

21. TOBI-KADACHI. Sorry electric squirrel rat dragon thing but at least you aren't the worst contender.

20. LEGIANA. A bit too fancy and elegant for a band name, sorry.

19. XENO'JIIVIA. That's a very JRPG last boss name, and there are cooler ones out there like DEATHEVAN from Breath of Fire 2.

18. KIRIN. Pretty simple and to the point, but its also a unicorn thing and a pretty Japanese name. Its a better fit then Toby at least.

17. KUSHALA DAORA. If it wasn't for KUSH being in the name it'd be a great contender, but its a wind dragon with KUSH in the name you are asking to get roasted.

16. ZORAH MAGDAROS. To me, Zorah Magdaros is in the position where its a good monster name but not a great band name. You could do worse.

15. BARROTH. A bit simple really, but good 'ol Barry is a decent contender as long as no one figures out he rolls around in mud like a loser.

14. LAVASIOTH. A creature that swims in Lava is very metal but everyone calls him Lava Sloth which is NOT METAL.

13. JYURATADOROS. TOO HARD TO PRONOUNCE, NEXT.

12. DODOGAMA. The name is pretty cool for a fat-ass toad that burps explosions, but Dodogamas are PUNK LOSERS and die in like 20 hits so nah.

11. RATHALOS. There is no way around it, Rathalos is pretty cool. But as a band name, Rathian just has a better ring to it, you know?

10. URAGAAN. He rolls around and pops out bombs which is cool, but his chin is HILARIOUSLY large. What a dork.

9. RADOBAAN. Its a roly-poly covered in the bones of its enemies, but also its pretty docile which ISN'T METAL. However it has RAD in its name, which is RAD.

8. TEOSTRA. Perhaps a tad to noble and refined, but a good name nonetheless.

7. BAZELGEUSE. Sure it sounds really close to Beetle Juice but it also sounds close to Betelgeuse which is a big ass star and that's cool. Also he is a living dive bomber with a bomb beard and a huge jerkass who interrupts every fight.

6. DIABLOS. The only downside to Diablos is that the name is almost too metal. Like seriously, doesn't that just mean Devils? UNORIGINAL BUT COOL.

5. RATHIAN. There is just something about the way Rathian is pronounced that makes it more badass then Rathalos, despite being the weaker of the two.

4. VAAL HAZAK. Lets ignore that Vaal Hazak spawns from a pile of rotten Monster bodies - which by itself is extremely metal - to focus on the fact that its NAME IS VAAL HAZAK HOLY SHIT.

3. NERGIGANTE. Not only is Nigel the most BRUTAL of all monsters, his name is BRUTAL TOO.

2.ODOGARON. Holy crap its a viscous red dog with like 10 talons on each foot and a weirdo splitting mouth that hangs out in Corpse Valley. How do you get anything harder then that?

1. ANJANATH. I am fairly certain that this is already a band name. If I never played Monster Hunter and you told me to listen to Anjanath I would not think twice about it.

HONORABLE MENTION TO DEVILJHO WHO ISN'T IN THE GAME YET. Same issue as Diablos where the name is too on the nose.

DON'T @ ME BY THE WAY.
1. WHY ARE YOU YELLING?
2. What even is this thread lmao

Bundy

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
anchorman-i-dont-knowanuy1.gif

Xeno

Oct 25, 2017
Anjanath was absolutely the first thing I thought of when I saw the thread title.

DNAbro

Oct 25, 2017
I was expecting Nergigante at #1.

Also is there really only 27 monsters in the game? Not that it is a problem cause I'm still enjoying the hell out of it but I guess I was thinking there was more.

johan

Oct 29, 2017
Good thread, thank you

I knew Anjanath would be number one. I'm also partial to Rathian, Rathalos and Vaal Hazak. Diablos is too low effort though!!

Musubi

Unshakable Resolve - Prophet of Truth
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Shame on you you stole Kotaku's idea article for next week.

Zukkoyaki

Oct 25, 2017
Barroth and Rathian should be higher, would make great black metal band names. Zorah Magdaros sounds like a European symphonic/power metal band.

Awesome thread!