• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Mupod

Oct 25, 2017
Man I wonder how much it will take to craft barrel bombs. When a random team and I were at 14 minutes Nergigante went to sleep and ate 8 of those at once and died immediately lmao. I guess that won't happen often in the final game.

LBB is usually cheap. Whenever I sleep a monster online someone always has a bomb or two handy. People only break out the LBB+ on a serious sleep bomb run because they usually take annoying fish materials.

The 3DS games you could get 'sale days' from the shops by just cycling quests but in Tri you only got half price stuff during the Jhen event. I'd imagine this will be similar where people will wait for a certain day to stock up on things like bomb materials.

Ultimadrago

Oct 25, 2017
1. The fastest way to charge 5 phials is to do two [Hold O] attacks, however you can't do it subsequently without a pause so it's fast to use another attack inbetween for example.

[Hold O] -> T+O -> [Hold O]

2. When you charge your phials using R2+O, you can follow up immediately with a shield Thrust and combo into a shield charge using this:

R2+O -> T+O -> T+O -> R2 (in mid animation)

3. To charge your sword, Hold Triangle until you see it spark then release immediately.

R2+O -> [Hold T]

Thanks! Going to head to Training Room with this. Also, it seems like you can shift from Shield Thrust straight into Axe Elemental Discharge? I'm not sure how I did that (if I have that right) lol

Hero-of-Time

Oct 27, 2017
Just defeated Nergigante! We managed to take him down after 3 attempts and I got the final blow with only 5 seconds to spare! Cracking fight.

Ænima

Oct 27, 2017
Portugal
Finally took Nergigante down with a nice team that knew to place barrel bombs 1st and atack later. 3 guys using bow and another longsword. Dragon Pierce does alot of hits against this guy, even like that we killet it at 20 seconds before the deadline. Still have to try it solo to see how far i can take him.

Once we beat the quest we also get some item package to use in the main game.

Loved the betas, cant wait to dive in the final game.

Last edited:

Wamb0wneD

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
LBB is usually cheap. Whenever I sleep a monster online someone always has a bomb or two handy. People only break out the LBB+ on a serious sleep bomb run because they usually take annoying fish materials.

The 3DS games you could get 'sale days' from the shops by just cycling quests but in Tri you only got half price stuff during the Jhen event. I'd imagine this will be similar where people will wait for a certain day to stock up on things like bomb materials.
Hmmm sounds ok. I guess the better your equipment gets the more you can save them for harder stuff. I just found that moment when 8 barrels where around Nergigante's head hilarious.

Also no way in hell I'm beating that guy solo. Recks me everytime.

Toxi

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
Man I wonder how much it will take to craft barrel bombs. When a random team and I were at 14 minutes Nergigante went to sleep and ate 8 of those at once and died immediately lmao. I guess that won't happen often in the final game.
Oh, that will happen often with a coordinated team. Sleep bombing is a time honored tradition.

W...wha?!?! Plesioth, whyyyyy?! D:

That's some bullshit. Goddamnit Capcom.

Chaos2Frozen

Nov 3, 2017
Thanks! Going to head to Training Room with this. Also, it seems like you can shift from Shield Thrust straight into Axe Elemental Discharge? I'm not sure how I did that (if I have that right) lol

Yes, the triple T+O combo would bring you from a forward step slash -> shield thrust -> Axe elemental discharge.

However the first step of the combo can be skip if you use any other attack/move before using it.

So if you're already right in front of the monster, you can use the normal slash attack and link into the T+O combos.

I'm a newbie like you and the Charge Blade is really fun to learn all these hidden chain moves :D

Khezu

Oct 25, 2017
There is barely any grinding in modern MH.

If anything we need to go back to MH1 style, where you need a billion rare items for the top tier stuff.

DanteMenethil

Oct 25, 2017
Some drops are like 2% it's possible it can be a major grind if they don't up some drop rates.

Hahaha hahaha or like Granblue implement a spark system like trade in 50 of that monsters common drop to get the rarest drop

.... I guess they did have the friendship tickets before, so even a better version of that can work

Keep in mind that droprates are not per monster kill but per reward slot. Now I don't know math but if say you get 8-10 rewards from the quest completion that's way way higher than 2% (as a cumulative chance to get one drop out of 8-10 tries).

Wamb0wneD

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Oh, that will happen often with a coordinated team. Sleep bombing is a time honored tradition.

That's some bullshit. Goddamnit Capcom.
I just wonder that if the game draws a lot of ewpeople in (like myself) how coorsinated it will be lol, at least for the first weeks. (I really hope it does draw in lots of people. The game is so good I forgot that I wanted to boycott Capcom for not bringing Okami to the Switch).

That hitbox is indeed bullshit though lol.

Kinsei

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
I just wonder that if the game draws a lot of ewpeople in (like myself) how coorsinated it will be lol, at least for the first weeks. (I really hope it does draw in lots of people. The game is so good I forgot that I wanted to boycott Capcom for not bringing Okami to the Switch).

That hitbox is indeed bullshit though lol.
If past games are any indication there will be no coordination between randoms at all.

Somnia

Chicken Chaser
Oct 25, 2017
So for someone who has never touched a Monster Hunter game, what weapon should I start with?

Chaos2Frozen

Nov 3, 2017
So for someone who has never touched a Monster Hunter game, what weapon should I start with?

Sword&Sword - If you don't want to worry about the nuance mechanics yet. Extreme versatile weapon. (Please don't make the mistake of choosing the 'evergreen blade', that is a charge blade and it's the most complex weapon lol)

Dual blades - If you want to go really really fast and do lots of hits

Long Sword - If you want to do big damage

Mupod

Oct 25, 2017

There's a training mode (also in this beta) and usually some low level introductory quests. I'd just give everything a spin and go with what you like.

Most new players can't wrap their head around lance or the more mechanically complex weapons like Charge Blade, but it might just click immediately for you. Only one way to find out.

Ænima

Oct 27, 2017
Portugal
Go to the training room and just try all the weapons and see whats the one you enjoy more. I started playing Monster Hunter with LongSwords, then Bow. Those are my 2 favorith weapons. Usually use bow for co-op, and Longsword for solo runs. But all weapons in the game are good, so is just a matter of choosing a style you enjoy more as the play style and move sets/ combos change alot from weapon to weapon.

Zelas

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
How do you master the gameplay if you don't keep playing it?

Like literally, the only way anyone gets better at anything is practice practice practice
Who said anything about not playing? I'm saying there are other ways to get people to play besides grinding for drops. Having an actual, lengthy, story mode is just one example of that.

rulerk1

Nov 14, 2017
why is one of the salamander type creatures following me? I thought he was brainwashed but he just left on his own after a while. Some interesting interactions in this game tbh

-Tetsuo-

Unlimited Capacity
Oct 26, 2017
People really overplay how often you need to get new gear to progress. What typically happens is, people start having fun and will see an upgrade path for a weapon they already own or see an armor set that looks nice in the shop and naturally propel themselves into grinding for that piece lol

Kinsei

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
why is one the salamander type creatures following me? I thought he was brainwashed but he just left on his own after a while. Some interesting interactions in this game tbh
Your cat can tame wild monsters so that they fight alongside you. It's pretty dumb TBH, especially when it results in things like a Jagras fighting a Great Jagras.

Mr. Nice_Guy

Oct 27, 2017

Were you playing with me? Because that's exactly what happened to me today as well, same time marker and everything haha. I was happy to see it coordinated so well too as I was told sleep bombing was a thing I should be ready for.

Qvoth

Oct 26, 2017
lmao i got the rare item from nergigante, immortal something, i think it was immortal plate
i got the rare item carving animation

RiderKairuu

Oct 25, 2017
I put some music composed by Yoko Shimomura over one of my Nergigante hunts and it fits pretty well. I wish she'd guest compose a track or two.

Chaos2Frozen

Nov 3, 2017
Who said anything about not playing? I'm saying there are other ways to get people to play besides grinding for drops. Having an actual, lengthy, story mode is just one example of that.

You don't understand, you're going to have to fight the monster multiple times to learn it anyway so you might as well be rewarded for mastering it.

Also Monster Hunter World has a story mode.

ngower

Nov 20, 2017
Not going to have time to play the beta and have missed otu so far but pre-ordered the full game last night. My body is ready.

Wamb0wneD

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Were you playing with me? Because that's exactly what happened to me today as well, same time marker and everything haha. I was happy to see it coordinated so well too as I was told sleep bombing was a thing I should be ready for.
Did you have a japanese name? Because I played with 3 japanese people. I only mounted 2 times with Insect Glaive but still got on the ending sheet with that. I did kinda horrible lol.

If past games are any indication there will be no coordination between randoms at all.
Welp, at least I got 4 friends who get the game and a few people on Era too.

Zelas

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
You don't understand, you're going to have to fight the monster multiple times to learn it anyway so you might as well be rewarded for mastering it.

Also Monster Hunter World has a story mode.
Well help me understand why MH structure is the only way MH can be done. Explain to me why there are no other alternative, or at the very least, the grind severely lessened.

Mr. Nice_Guy

Oct 27, 2017
Did you have a japanese name? Because I played with 3 japanese people. I only mounted 2 times with Insect Glaive but still got on the ending sheet with that. I did kinda horrible lol.

Haha I actually had the same experience but I was the only non Japanese name. I was a Heavy Bowgun and didn't make the ending sheet at all so you did better than me!

DrArchon

Oct 25, 2017
It's nice to start with a weapon that can block, so either Sword and Shield, Great Sword, Lance are good options. Sword and Shield are probably the easiest because you can use items without sheathing the weapon, but the range sucks so you may want something bigger. Great Sword is slow, but hits hard and can get away with sub-par play through hit and run tactics.

Wamb0wneD

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Haha I actually had the same experience but I was the only non Japanese name. I was a Heavy Bowgun and didn't make the ending sheet at all so you did better than me!
That's a cool coincidence lol. I still don't get when you lie down with the heavy Bowgun and when you aim normally. For me it seems like it happens randomly and I can't control when what happens.

BloodHound

Oct 27, 2017
As someone who has never played a monster hunter game before, learning the charge blade is giving me nightmare flashbacks of learning the red queen in DMC4.

Sensei

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Finally beat Nergi in a group. One guy was determined to eat through all our carts though. I laughed when he died, came back, then instantly died again.

Milennia

Prophet of Truth - Community Resetter
Oct 25, 2017
tried out some weapons and i beat nerg without ever playing a monster hunter before after like 5 attempts using dual blades
im cross between maining either hammer or dual blades but both have been awesome first timer weapons for me

i expected the hammer to be really heavy but its not at all which is why its one of my potential options and also weird but yeah

the fights are really fun and i approached them all like i approach my WoW encounters, few dry runs to see what the bosses do then kill it as close to perfectly as i can which seems like impossible in this game lol

No Depth

Oct 27, 2017
Did a couple attempts against Nerdgante this morning with randos. Worst luck though the group was good. We had him limped at his final resting place each attempt before timer ran out. Had to have been close everytime, but the feeling that I may not get this item reward is slipping further away. Just seems the 15m timer should have been 20m. You really have to be on your game to deal with the time limit. All of our attempts should have been winners, but alas...

GameShrink

Banned
Oct 29, 2017
I had a few randoms AFK during Nerg, leaving us to fight 3v1 (we eventually timed out).

Makes me wonder if it's even possible to beat him with only 2 or 3 people, given the truncated time limit.