• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

SpaceSong

Oct 25, 2017
I was trying to fight him with the insect glaive lmao. Jumping around is great until his fat ass lands on top of you anyway.
Yeah he hits like a truck and I've seen talk that folks are having issues w/ DPS on the IG while fighting Nerg in the demo. Sounds like a good way to handicap yourself while fighting him, tbh.

Hawkian

Oct 26, 2017
I know a bunch more people are gonna be checking this out tonight, so a few things:

1. This post goes over some of the settings you may wanna tweak: https://www.resetera.com/posts/3477045/ (specifically to help you get the most from the awesome radial menu)

2. Note that the beta is a very poor introduction to the game as a whole. It is a repurposed show-floor demo and feels like it. If you're completely new to the franchise and intimidated by the complexity, you're possibly better off just waiting a week for the more gentle onramp. This beta is good for learning the controls, experimenting to find your favorite weapon(s), and challenging yourself with the basic combat and flow of hunting, but a ton is absent or changed from the full game:
-The full game will tutorialize the player and roll out mechanics over time to some degree rather than throwing you in the deep end.
-Timers in the full game are much much longer (to the point they are typically an afterthought), and you can roam any of the 5 maps without a timer in Expedition Mode to explore, gather, or hunt outside of a particular quest.
-There's a hub town with NPCs to take on quests, craft and upgrade armor, prepare for specific hunts, group up with other players, and so on that is obviously totally absent from the beta. Most importantly the whole loop of going out to hunt and loot monster parts, then crafting them into better armor and weapons, is the primary driving force in the game's progression.
-The convoluted multiplayer code system to join other parties won't be necessary.
-Instead of 9 or 5 "carts" (deaths) per quest, you'll only have 3 to work with in the full game.​

3. Mess with the different weapons in the training area (open the item box and choose Change Equipment) to get the basic controls down before trying to figure out how to use any given one in the field (which wastes time). Finding the weapons that really click with you is crucial to enjoying the game as each one plays very differently, but good beginner choices are (bold is the weapon class, next to that is the specific beta item to look for in the equipment box):
Hammer - Binding Rock (aim at and bash head of monster until dead)
Dual Blades - Jyura Hatchets (activate Demon Mode with R2, go ham to build up meter and enter Archdemon Mode which will run out over time, repeat),
Bow - Hunter's Bow (charge shots by holding R2 or dodging, aim for weak spots, line up as many Dragon Piercer shots with Triangle + Circle as you can)
Sword & Shield - Iron Bang (use the Circle/shield bash attacks to hit monsters' heads to interrupt/stun them, hit and run for quick combos, charged jump attack you can use to mount or bash heads, heal/use items without sheathing your weapon)
Long Sword - Wyvern Blade (great range and damage, charge up Spirit Meter with consecutive hits then spend with R2 attacks. Note: this is a good beginner choice solo, but in multiplayer there is a substantial risk of tripping/knocking over your allies and it requires more skilled positioning)​

If you want to a primer to prepare yourself, this video is the best I've found for just going through all the controls and mechanics for every weapon clearly: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=q3u2ieIadpg (no commentary, just explicit information)

4. Besides the quest monsters, there are 5 other monsters you can seek out and hunt in this beta. If you're hunting something other than the quest monster, open your map with the touchpad and select the one you want to track in the bottom left (once you've found some traces of it) and click R3, and your scoutflies will aim your toward it.

Here are the 9 monsters available to hunt in the beta:

The four quest monsters:

Great Jagras: a total jobber, Great Jagras is just there to teach you the basics of tracking and hunting. He is squishy and pathetic, and if serving you any substantial challenge this means you haven't gotten the basics of your weapon down yet.
Barroth: your first test of skill. Barroth is easy to embarrass if you know what you're doing, but can be a challenge while still learning the ropes. He can shake off mud to both slow you down while in it and cause Waterblight, which reduces stamina. With most weapons you want to avoid his armored head- his weak point is actually his feeble T-rex arns,
Anjanath: Anjanath is a pretty legit challenge until you're very familair with all his attacks. He has a super aggressive enrage state, can do burning/fire damage at close range, and is just overall way more punishing than the other two. Being able to solo Anjanath with your preferred weapon without any trouble is a good sign that you're ready for the bigger challenges.
Nergigante: by many accounts tough as nails unless you're a pro at this, though seemingly easier to solo than to fight in a group. You want to stay as close to him as possible as his aggression becomes even more of a threat at range. If you happen to be using a bowgun, I have it on good authority that slicing ammo is his weakness. Nergi is an elder dragon, so traps will have no effect on him- don't even try.​

Two others spawn in the Ancient Forest:

Pukei-Pukei: this guy has some wacky attacks with a long tongue, ranged shots and the ability to poison, but is squishy and easy to stun. Just keep the aggression on and he crumblues. Only think to watch is staying on top of Antidotes.
Rathalos: Apex predator in this map. He spawns in a nest in the Northeast of the map, very close to the Ancient Forest Camp (this is also where he retreats when very weak to sleep). Does tons of fire damage and poisons with his claw attack. Biggest thing with him is knocking him out of the sky as quickly as possible each time he takes off. Your options for this are flashflies (in the environment, hit them with anything to activate), flash pod ammo (shoot the ground in front of him rather than shooting at him), paralysis knives, Palico flashfly cages, bomb pod ammo shots to the head, and mounting.​

And three others spawn in the Wildspire Wastes:

Kulu-Ya-Ku: adorable sassy bird that digs up rocks to use as shields and hit you with. Very low HP, so unless you get unlucky with a rock smack he's a pushover.
Jyuratodus: weird mud-fish monster. He can inflict waterblight like Barroth and basically stays in the mud wallows exclusively, which can restrict your movement. Generally he's not all that tough to manage in the first place, but if you're hunting him in particular, the Waterproof Mantle can make it even easier.
Diablos: apex predator of this area. Diablos has tough skin, really hard-hitting charge attacks, and the ability to burrow underground super fast and pop out for high damage upon reaching you. Get good at sheathing your weapon, running and diving to avoid this. He spawns in the central underground cave in the Wastes. Directly above that, in the area with all the flying creatures, you can hit these creatures with slinger ammo to stun him and notably cause him to pop out of his burrow attack.​

3 monsters spawn on a map at a given time, with the quest monster being guaranteed to spawn. So if you're hunting a non-quest monster, it may not be present on your map (though the odds are always good). You can always abandon a quest and retry if you realize your target isn't present.

Diablos, Rathalos, and Nergigante are a substantial challenge compared to the other monsters. If you manage to successfully down all 9 available and still want more MH during this beta, you can go for double or triple hunts where you go after more than one monster per map in the same time limit- just make sure to slay the quest monster last.

Last edited:
OP
OP
Jawbreaker

Jawbreaker

Oct 25, 2017
New York City
I know a bunch more people are gonna be checking this out tonight, so a few things:

1. This post goes over some of the settings you may wanna tweak: https://www.resetera.com/posts/3477045/ (specifically to help you get the most from the awesome radial menu)

2. Note that the beta is a very poor introduction to the game as a whole. It is a repurposed show-floor demo and feels like it. If you're completely new to the franchise and intimidated by the complexity, you're possibly better off just waiting a week for the more gentle onramp. This beta is good for learning the controls, experimenting to find your favorite weapon(s), and challenging yourself with the basic combat and flow of hunting, but a ton is absent or changed from the full game:
-The full game will tutorialize the player and roll out mechanics over time to some degree rather than throwing you in the deep end.
-Timers in the full game are much much longer (to the point they are typically an afterthought), and you can roam any of the 5 maps without a timer in Expedition Mode to explore, gather, or hunt outside of a particular quest.
-There's a hub town with NPCs to take on quests, craft and upgrade armor, prepare for specific hunts, group up with other players, and so on that is obviously totally absent from the beta. Most importantly the whole loop of going out to hunt and loot monster parts, then crafting them into better armor and weapons, is the primary driving force in the game's progression.
-The convoluted multiplayer code system to join other parties won't be necessary.
-Instead of 9 or 5 "carts" (deaths) per quest, you'll only have 3 to work with in the full game.​

3. Mess with the different weapons in the training area (open the item box and choose Change Equipment) to get the basic controls down before trying to figure out how to use any given one in the field (which wastes time). Finding the weapons that really click with you is crucial to enjoying the game as each one plays very differently, but good beginner choices are (bold is the weapon class, next to that is the specific beta item to look for in the equipment box):
Hammer - Binding Rock (aim at and bash head of monster until dead)
Dual Blades - Jyura Hatchets (activate Demon Mode with R2, go ham to build up meter and enter Archdemon Mode which will run out over time, repeat),
Bow - Hunter's Bow (charge shots by holding R2 or dodging, aim for weak spots, line up as many Dragon Piercer shots with Triangle + Circle as you can)
Sword & Shield - Iron Bang (use the Circle/shield bash attacks to hit monsters' heads to interrupt/stun them, hit and run for quick combos, charged jump attack you can use to mount or bash heads, heal/use items without sheathing your weapon)
Long Sword - Wyvern Blade (great range and damage, charge up Spirit Meter with consecutive hits then spend with R2 attacks. Note: this is a good beginner choice solo, but in multiplayer there is a substantial risk of tripping/knocking over your allies and it requires more skilled positioning)​

4. Besides the quest monsters, there are 5 other monsters you can seek out and hunt in this beta. If you're hunting something other than the quest monster, open your map with the touchpad and select the one you want to track in the bottom left (once you've found some traces of it) and click R3, and your scoutflies will aim your toward it.

Here are the 9 monsters available to hunt in the beta:

The four quest monsters:

Great Jagras: a total jobber, Great Jagras is just there to teach you the basics of tracking and hunting. He is squishy and pathetic, and if serving you any substantial challenge this means you haven't gotten the basics of your weapon down yet.
Barroth: your first test of skill. Barroth is easy to embarrass if you know what you're doing, but can be a challenge while still learning the ropes. He can shake off mud to both slow you down while in it and cause Waterblight, which reduces stamina. With most weapons you want to avoid his armored head- his weak point is actually his feeble T-rex arns,
Anjanath: Anjanath is a pretty legit challenge until you're very familair with all his attacks. He has a super aggressive enrage state, can do burning/fire damage at close range, and is just overall way more punishing than the other two. Being able to solo Anjanath with your preferred weapon without any trouble is a good sign that you're ready for the bigger challenges.
Nergigante: by many accounts tough as nails unless you're a pro at this, though seemingly easier to solo than to fight in a group. You want to stay as close to him as possible as his aggression becomes even more of a threat at range. If you happen to be using a bowgun, I have it on good authority that slicing ammo is his weakness. Nergi is an elder dragon, so traps will have no effect on him- don't even try.​

Two others spawn in the Ancient Forest:

Pukei-Pukei: this guy has some wacky attacks with a long tongue, ranged shots and the ability to poison, but is squishy and easy to stun. Just keep the aggression on and he crumblues. Only think to watch is staying on top of Antidotes.
Rathalos: Apex predator in this map. He spawns in a nest in the Northeast of the map, very close to the Ancient Forest Camp (this is also where he retreats when very weak to sleep). Does tons of fire damage and poisons with his claw attack. Biggest thing with him is knocking him out of the sky as quickly as possible each time he takes off. Your options for this are flashflies (in the environment, hit them with anything to activate), flash pod ammo (shoot the ground in front of him rather than shooting at him), paralysis knives, Palico flashfly cages, bomb pod ammo shots to the head, and mounting.​

And three others spawn in the Wildspire Wastes:

Kulu-Ya-Ku: adorable sassy bird that digs up rocks to use as shields and hit you with. Very low HP, so unless you get unlucky with a rock smack he's a pushover.
Jyuratodus: weird mud-fish monster. He can inflict waterblight like Barroth and basically stays in the mud wallows exclusively, which can restrict your movement. Generally he's not all that tough to manage in the first place, but if you're hunting him in particular, the Waterproof Mantle can make it even easier.
Diablos: apex predator of this area. Diablos has tough skin, really hard-hitting charge attacks, and the ability to burrow underground super fast and pop out for high damage upon reaching you. Get good at sheathing your weapon, running and diving to avoid this. He spawns in the central underground cave in the Wastes. Directly above that, in the area with all the flying creatures, you can hit these creatures with slinger ammo to stun him and notably cause him to pop out of his burrow attack.​

3 monsters spawn on a map at a given time, with the quest monster being guaranteed to spawn. So if you're hunting a non-quest monster, it may not be present on your map (though the odds are always good). You can always abandon a quest and retry if you realize your target isn't present.

Diablos, Rathalos, and Nergigante are a substantial challenge compared to the other monsters. If you manage to successfully down all 9 available and still want more MH during this beta, you can go for double or triple hunts where you go after more than one monster per map in the same time limit- just make sure to slay the quest monster last.

Great, helpful tips. Would it be OK to quote both of your posts in the OP?

Chaos2Frozen

Nov 3, 2017
Ok, I need to spend more time studying Nergigante's moves... Also I realize I'm way too reckless for no reason trying to get my charge blade combo going.

Also, Nergigante does that Dark Souls Boss thing where he draws out his attack timing long enough to throw me off =_=

sensui-tomo

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Its funny that it took this many games for me to get back to using HBG (i last used it in Monster hunter 2 portable), and i'm thinking the other weapons i'll use are gunlance or insect glaive (i liked it as a fun weapon)

Astral

Oct 27, 2017
I'm about to fire this up for the first time I've only ever played Generations and I loved the Greatsword. Besides the hookshot thing, is the gameplay drastically different?

Oct 27, 2017
North Carolina
Beat Nerg on my third try, and the pop-off was amplified by me streaming. Had a really good run on Diablos fall to shit at the very end, though. I had to have been just a hit or two shy of taking him down, but Barroth interrupted part of the fight and killed some of my time.

DrROBschiz

Oct 25, 2017
To be fair that bowgun is unbalanced lol

Its the way it is to ensure beta players are able to experience everything a bowgun can do...

That doesnt take away from this feat though! Very impressive

SunhiLegend

The Legend Continues
Oct 25, 2017
ba1GJJB.gif

Juraash

Oct 25, 2017
I'm about to fire this up for the first time I've only ever played Generations and I loved the Greatsword. Besides the hookshot thing, is the gameplay drastically different?

Depending on how you played GS, or any weapon really, World could feel pretty different. The core is still Monster Hunter, but hunter arts are gone as are styles. So if you used a style other than Guild and relied on arts a lot, it could take some adapting.

And speaking specifically to the GS, its loop is a fair amount different than prior games. Your final, most power charge is gotten to differently and you can cancel out of lesser charges with a new should check. It makes the GS feel a bit more aggressive I guess you could say, but it's definitely different.

Kinsei

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Depending on how you played GS, or any weapon really, World could feel pretty different. The core is still Monster Hunter, but hunter arts are gone as are styles. So if you used a style other than Guild and relied on arts a lot, it could take some adapting.
Even if they used guild the GS could take a lot of adapting. It plays quite differently in World compared to past games.

Teasing_Pink

Oct 25, 2017
Almost shed a tear when my group approached sleeping Nergigante, and without a word, everyone dropped their large barrel bombs. Just knew we were going to end victorious after that. And we were!

Such a beast, really loved that fight. Can't wait to see what else the full game has in store.

Oct 27, 2017
I've failed twice in multiplayer due to running out of time. Need a couple extra minutes!

I like simple weapons and have stuck to hunting horn, hammer, and great sword. I just tried the dual blades for the first time and think they are pretty straightforward and simple as well...am I missing some nuance with them?

Cor

Oct 25, 2017
I've failed twice in multiplayer due to running out of time. Need a couple extra minutes!

I like simple weapons and have stuck to hunting horn, hammer, and great sword. I just tried the dual blades for the first time and think they are pretty straightforward and simple as well...am I missing some nuance with them?
the rule of thumb with MonHun is that yes, you probably are.

Chaos2Frozen

Nov 3, 2017

Attack in demon mode to build up your meter but drains your stamina, once your meter is filled your attacks outside of demon mode has increased damage and certain moves are different, called archdemon mode. Using archdemon mode drains your red meter but allows you to recover your stamina.

The idea is to switch back and forth between demon mode and archdemon mode to always maintain the damage buff. And that's about it.

Oct 27, 2017
Attack in demon mode to build up your meter but drains your stamina, once your meter is filled your attacks outside of demon mode has increased damage and certain moves are different, called archdemon mode. Using archdemon mode drains your red meter but allows you to recover your stamina.

The idea is to switch back and forth between demon mode and archdemon mode to always maintain the damage buff. And that's about it.
Thanks. I'll use these some more.

Astral

Oct 27, 2017

And speaking specifically to the GS, its loop is a fair amount different than prior games. Your final, most power charge is gotten to differently and you can cancel out of lesser charges with a new should check. It makes the GS feel a bit more aggressive I guess you could say, but it's definitely different.

It is a little different but similar enough that I've gotten used to it quickly, thanks. I guess it helps that I stuck to Guild style.

Contact

Oct 27, 2017

Probably, yes. Look at the top right corner of your screen and try different combos, I can't help you much with specifics as I don't use these weapons. Also, remember to eat at the camp to boost your health, stamina boost and stats (attack, defense, etc, which stat will gain a boost depends on the meal). You can also use powders and mantles for even more boosts.

robotzombie

Oct 25, 2017
So how is this game on a regular ps4? Is the performance any worse than a Pro? I'm not all that concerned about the graphics, I just hope it doesn't run terribly

Toxi

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
Killed Nerg with Sword and Shield and Lance. Lance really makes the fight easier; the only tricky part is keeping up with the camera.

Do you get anything in the full game for killing the new guy?

I'm super new to the series and too much of a wussy to even try fighting him.
A single common material and some craft able consumables. Nothing big.

I would still encourage trying to kill Nergigante though. It's a really fun fight.

Oct 27, 2017
Probably, yes. Look at the top right corner of your screen and try different combos, I can't help you much with specifics as I don't use these weapons. Also, remember to eat at the camp to boost your health, stamina boost and stats (attack, defense, etc, which stat will gain a boost depends on the meal). You can also use powders and mantles for even more boosts.
Didn't even realize they had combos in the corner or a place to eat at camp, thanks. The other tips I was aware of since I played mh4u a lot, but this is my first foray into a faster weapon with the dual blades.

Juraash

Oct 25, 2017
Mine is, especially in the training area. In general, it seems to be way quieter when actually hunting, but it's not perfect.

Xtortion

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
United States
Got wrecked by Nerg for 3 hours in multiplayer last night. Tried him solo today and beat it first try despite dying 4 times and flubbing my flash pods. Scaling pls

Vilix

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Texas
My group had all but defeated Nerg. He crawled back down to his layer and feel asleep. We laid our barrel bombs and I was charging up my bowgun when...

TIME RAN OUT!!!

Omg!!! That's the closest I've gotten.

I will defeat this beast. His head will be on my mantel.

Godan

Oct 30, 2017
Scotland
Well this Nergigante is a pain have it limping everytime but always run out of time. I only ever use LS as well so can't really change it up to a different weapon as i don't feel i will do well enough with that.