• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

digitalrelic

Weight Loss Champion 2018: Biggest Change
Banned
Oct 25, 2017

Never picked this up, or ever played any Monster Hunter game for that matter, so I'm excited to check this out!

mas8705

Oct 27, 2017
Is this a demo or is it access to the full game for a limited time?

It is the game up to a certain point. Once you reach the 3 star quests (or Rank 4), your progress will freeze from there. But anything you do in the game up to that point can transfer to the main game should you buy it. This includes whatever optional quests you do or playing with other players in the lower ranks.

Q: How far can I progress in the trial version?
A: You can play up to the completion of the "Flying Sparks: Tobi-Kadachi" (Hunter Rank 4, ★3) assignment.

BDS

Banned
Oct 25, 2017

DrArchon

Oct 25, 2017
I'm impressed this isn't just the online beta repackaged. Now people will actually to see how the progression works.

Should last longer than a week though.

Veldin

Oct 25, 2017
"Action RPG"

Cue the dummies talking about how it's not an RPG somehow.

Anyway, good opportunity to try the game out if you haven't. It's a really gripping experience especially if you play online.

Yasai

Dec 23, 2017
It is the game up to a certain point. Once you reach the 3 star quests (or Rank 4), your progress will freeze from there.

Q: How far can I progress in the trial version?
A: You can play up to the completion of the "Flying Sparks: Tobi-Kadachi" (Hunter Rank 4, ★3) assignment.

I would like to see how the story is moving about and how it is being told. Is that point in the game enough for me to be able to get kind of a good idea?

Saint-14

Banned
Nov 2, 2017
I would like to see how the story is moving about and how it is being told. Is that point in the game enough for me to be able to get kind of a good idea?
You shouldn't really get the game if story is important for you, the story is the least important aspect of the game, it's just a way to introduce you to new monsters.

Yasai

Dec 23, 2017
You shouldn't really get the game if story is important for you, the story is the least important aspect of the game, it's just a way to introduce you to new monsters.

Thanks for the advice but I'm just curious and if at some point I can get it for 10-20 bucks I might just play it for the story and for being introduced to new monsters. After all, importance lies in the eye of beholder :)

Can you help me with my question btw?

mas8705

Oct 27, 2017

That's complicated to answer. The Monster Hunter series has never been one for story in all honesty, and while this is probably as close to an actual plot they've had as opposed to you being told what's happening, it still isn't much. Still, I suppose by that point, you would have a good understanding of what's going on plot wise (although I will say to not raise your expectations too high if it feels like there's little to none to work with).

Oct 30, 2017
Where the hell is this on the Xbox store? I hate navigating that pos.

Edit: found it. You need to press the field with the three vertical buttons and choose "trial"

Last edited:

Chaos2Frozen

Nov 3, 2017

Erm, kinda? You'll more or less see what direction the story is going but I would say it stop short of the first climax lol.

Still, it's pretty sizable. That's like 1/4 of the main campaign.

Yasai

Dec 23, 2017
Erm, kinda? You'll more or less see what direction the story is going but I would say it stop short of the first climax lol.

Still, it's pretty sizable. That's like 1/4 of the main campaign.

Thank you! Still haven't gotten to it haha. At least it's on the drive. I really should check it out today