• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

TheYanger

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Garbage that they treat the PC audience like this. I double dipped on the base game, but the delays in content releases on pc have been horseshit and no way I double dip on an expansion.

FantasyZone

Oct 25, 2017
Was hoping that they'd show off at least one of the new monsters. The mediocre new monster design (aside from Paolumu) is half of the reason I still haven't bought World after buying every other Western release in the series.

As of now, I'm not that excited and I don't really expect that to change... well unless they add Peco. If that's boy's in I'll grab the expansion day one.

packy17

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
What a surprise, PC version coming at an unspecified later date. I guess they'll use the extra time to optimize it and include higher-resolution textures just like they did with the base game

oh wait

Phendrana

Oct 26, 2017
Melbourne, Australia
Of course we will. It's not like Monster Hunter Players need a constant games as a service model to keep us playing every week. Everyone I know who's into the series dumps hundreds of hours into the base game and does it all over again for the next one. This expansion will bring us all back in full force.
MHW has a very different audience than previous titles in the series , no? All of the new players aren't used to this cycle. Who knows if they'll return in force.

impact

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Tampa
Garbage that they treat the PC audience like this. I double dipped on the base game, but the delays in content releases on pc have been horseshit and no way I double dip on an expansion.
You should've known they didn't give a fuck after they released a mess of a port after the 8 month delay lol.

It sucks an awesome series like MH is stuck behind these business people at Capcom.

Deleted member 36578

Dec 21, 2017
MHW has a very different audience overall, no? All of the new players aren't used to this cycle.

Yeah it absolutely brought in a load of new players to the series. This expansion will have to be well advertised to get the more casual players attention. But I do believe the new players liked the game enough to buy a new one.

Truth be told however, I have a few friends who only got to like hr 6 before they grew tired and disinterested in the game. They bought it because all the hype surrounding Worlds release . I'm sure they aren't alone.

Yes, but this leads straight back into my original point - is an expansion coming 20-22 months after the base game going to recapture all of the new players MHW brought in?
No, but that's an entirely unrealistic expectation to begin with as no expansion has ever been able to do that. The real question should be pointed more at the actual sequel to this game.

DevilMayGuy

Oct 25, 2017
Texas
No, but that's an entirely unrealistic expectation to begin with as no expansion has ever been able to do that. The real question should be pointed more at the actual sequel to this game.
Exactly. Anyone going in with the expectation that this expansion has to sell 10M copies to be successful is absolutely setting themselves up for insane disappointment. No reasonable person thinks this way.

Saint-14

Banned
Nov 2, 2017
People are familiar with expansions, yes, but this leads straight back into my original point - is an expansion coming 20-22 months after the base game going to recapture all of the new players MHW brought in?
That's not what an expansion is set to do, it's mainly for people who are still engaged with the game and those who enjoyed it but stopped playing because of no new things to do, a new big expansion will easily bring those back.

Dog of Bork

Oct 25, 2017
Texas
Yeah it absolutely brought in a load of new players to the series. This expansion will have to be well advertised to get the more casual players attention. But I do believe the new players liked the game enough to buy a new one.

Truth be told however, I have a few friends who only got to like hr 6 before they grew tired and disinterested in the game. They bought it because all the hype surrounding Worlds release . I'm sure they aren't alone.
They might not be alone, but the game has not had any issue with player retention that I've heard about. I see no reason to be concerned about the performance of an expansion when all signs point to it being successful.

Vilix

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Texas
People are familiar with expansions, yes, but this leads straight back into my original point - is an expansion coming 20-22 months after the base game going to recapture all of the new players MHW brought in?
This is my concern too. My guess is that most who put in less than 30 hours won't be back.

Illusion

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Too long of a wait and it's in the busy fall season.

Though I just give props to Capcom and the Monster Hunter team going the expansion route. It's the right choice, but they decided this way too late in the game.

I might pick it up if I'm not busy playing other things. I want a good reason to jump back into World, but I'm just an old fan who's lost his place in the midst of the new fandom.

Rewind

Oct 27, 2017
I fully expect the pc release to be 6 months later just like the base game. I wish they would develop them at the same time, now I'm not sure if I want to keep playing the pc one or just go back to the ps4.

Ebullientprism

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
This is as good a place to ask as any.

How much is the MP part of the game? I want to try out the base game but unsure if its built with MP in mind or can you have fun with it solo like Dark Souls?

Lifejumper

Oct 25, 2017
They won't just drop the expansion.

There will be a sizable marketing campaign attached to the expansion.

People will be back. I doubt there will be alot of games in fall 2019 that will compete with MHW (in term of audiences).

CorpseLight

Nov 3, 2018
This is as good a place to ask as any.

How much is the MP part of the game? I want to try out the base game but unsure if its built with MP in mind or can you have fun with it solo like Dark Souls?

I played and beat the entire storyline and hit Hunter Rank 50 Solo. Kulve was added later and is i believe a mandatory "Raid style" boss with multiple people however.

Deleted member 36578

Dec 21, 2017
They might not be alone, but the game has not had any issue with player retention that I've heard about. I see no reason to be concerned about the performance of an expansion when all signs point to it being successful.
Totally. And don't worry, I'll convince those guys to get back into the game when this comes out :p

CenturionNami

Banned
Nov 2, 2017
Was hoping that they'd show off at least one of the new monsters. The mediocre new monster design (aside from Paolumu) is half of the reason I still haven't bought World after buying every other Western release in the series.

As of now, I'm not that excited and I don't really expect that to change... well unless they add Peco. If that's boy's in I'll grab the expansion day one.
The designs in world are way better then anything in the old series.

This thread is making me really glad they aren't catering to purists

Ebullientprism

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I played and beat the entire storyline and hit Hunter Rank 50 Solo. Kulve was added later and is i believe a mandatory "Raid style" boss with multiple people however.

I get that but is it enjoyable as a SP experience? Or is it like Destiny where you can play solo but its not ideal?

I get that but is it enjoyable as a SP experience? Or is it like Destiny where you can play solo but its not ideal?
It's perfectly fine as a solo game, as you have a lower health pool for monsters to fight against versus multiplayer. Mutliplayer really isn't needed until the endgame grind.

That said, there will be grinding involved all the same, but that's just the DNA of the series.

Oct 13, 2018
I'm not sure how expansions are done on consoles, but they have often been bundled on PC with the base game receiving a price cut. There's often a not insignificant trickle of new blood into a game as a result, and that's probably one of the aims of going the expansion route if their strategies mirror those of old. You won't regain everyone who drops a game, but you can replace them.

CorpseLight

Nov 3, 2018

I had a ton of fun with it, I put 100 hours into it and I enjoyed it more because you dont need to worry about other people fainting and ruining your hunt, you can just go at your own pace and explore alot also. Its a pretty meaty game.

haradaku7

May 28, 2018
Such a long wait, I hope it's more then just one new map and a handful of new monsters. I mean it's gonna be almost 2 years of development come autumn.

Fireatwill

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
Hell yeah. I'm extremely excited about this.

Shame it's not til the fall, but I just got MHGU on switch which will hold me over and prepare me a bit for the new fights in World.

Super Havoc

Banned
Aug 24, 2018
The Haven
I haven't played this game yet but wanted to since it was announced. I just had so many games in my backlog I had to get to that it got put on hold.

Seeing Geralt as a DLC character means it's time for me to invest though. What a perfect character to add to this world due to the monster hunting aspect. I can't wait.

Aswitch

Nov 27, 2017
Los Angeles, CA
Nice to finally get confirmation at least. Would have been awesome if it made its anniversary release date next month but looks like that isn't the case.

Dec 7, 2018
Announcing an expansion literally a year before it releases seems odd. The game would be almost two years old depending when in Autumn it comes out. I'm excited, I sure hope the amount of content released makes the wait worthwhile.

Bjones

Oct 30, 2017
There is really no excuse not to release the pc version at the same time or very close to the others. It's just add on content.

Riversands

Banned
Nov 21, 2017
I wonder why people are wanting this to be free. The game is so complete with so many post release supports

iCodec

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I'm cool with them support MH:W like an MMO and wait till next generation to make a sequel, but damn I hope this expansion is big because that's so so far away.