• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Thoraxes

Oct 25, 2017
Gehenna
This is a better deal than with previous games where the G rank expansion is the cost of an entire game. Now to wait how much content is packed into this.

Edit: wait, is this the good news for "everyone" they were talking about during TGA? Lol.
Uh I'm wondering about the cost myself. The pessimist in me is thinking it's gonna be $40. While still cheaper than what the base game launched at, it still would be bad imo. If it's a true "G-rank like experience" I would hope it's $30 max, but if it fails to hit those thresholds, it shouldn't be more than $20. Those are just my purchase thresholds though.

At least I'll have till it probably releases in June 2020 on PC to find out after everyone else has completely gone through it more than half a year before me.

Last edited:

Riversands

Banned
Nov 21, 2017
This is as good a place to ask as any.

How much is the MP part of the game? I want to try out the base game but unsure if its built with MP in mind or can you have fun with it solo like Dark Souls?
You can play it Solo.

The mp part is likely everything in this game, even though the game is pretty different from dark souls, it can be as frustrating for some monsters. But if you go mp route, the monster will be triple hard. When I say triple, it literally means triple

Lauren

Feb 16, 2018
Cardiff
There's the G-Rank you wanted, happy?

I think they're going to treat MHW a bit differently to classic MH with "G-rank" stuff.

With the "free trial" version of the game, it seems that instead of releasing typical "G-Rank/Ultimate" versions, they're just going to add expansions - almost treat MHW like an MMO. Get people hooked on free trial and buy the base-game and expacs. I think this won't be the only expansion to be added and they're planning on MHW to become a much longer life game than others might have expected.

I'm kind of happy about it. I think it'll flesh out the game more to bring back people who want a more 'core' MH game as they wait for new MHs to come out, add more content to newer MH players to expand on what they're playing, and introduce a whole host of monsters from other games that a lot of MHW's new MH audience hasn't experienced before.

Personally I'm pretty excited!

Eolz

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
FR
It's weird seeing some posters previously in the thread acting like that year of free content was particularly amazing or something new for the franchise.
About as weird as people expecting the G expansion to be free...

Saint-14

Banned
Nov 2, 2017
He also said the tease at the end is an old favorite monster so it should be this which would look crazy in World, seems really aggressive.

komaruR

Oct 28, 2017
http://www.twitch.tv/komarur
This is as good a place to ask as any.

How much is the MP part of the game? I want to try out the base game but unsure if its built with MP in mind or can you have fun with it solo like Dark Souls?
soloing quest actually makes it abit easier than when you mp/coop due to how the mp scaling works in mhw.
only a handful of quest that arent tune for solo play at all that will troublesome but those quest are optional post game etc. (kulve taroth, behemoth, maybe some arch temp elder(never fought a arch temp elder before i stop playing so dunno))

Baphomet

Dec 8, 2018
With the Witcher collab, I hope they add a witcher monster, either a Fiend or Lechen would work for me.

Manwell

Oct 25, 2017
USA
I cannot for the life of me understand why they would have to delay the game again for PC players, especially considering Iceborne is basically a DLC expansion and not a full new release. It's just so damn frustrating.

Neoraxis

Nov 27, 2017
I forgive them for this release date if the expansion is really the same size as the base game + G Rank

SharpX68K

Nov 10, 2017
Chicagoland
Just now seeing this. So glad its a major expansion. Kinda long wait, but its understandable. MHW isn't a 3DS or last-gen game, it's a full current-gen console game, so new assets and environments take time to make.

Ricker

Oct 27, 2017
Beautiful Province of Quebec.
You can play it Solo.

The mp part is likely everything in this game, even though the game is pretty different from dark souls, it can be as frustrating for some monsters. But if you go mp route, the monster will be triple hard. When I say triple, it literally means triple

Even if they are triple hard,I find it easier in a group then solo...like I am currently HR 62 and I can barely do a HR 30 Monster solo..I just start a quest,leave by myself and send a flare,usually fills up under 2 minutes,and I sometimes get players in the 400/500 range.

Lauren

Feb 16, 2018
Cardiff
We are introducing a new quest rank, and while the amount of content in Iceborne isn't quite as big as the already huge Monster Hunter: World game, the expansion is sizeable and is really going to build upon the existing world.
[Source Timestamp]

There's been some odd comments on diff sites that Iceborne would be like a g-rank or ultimate where tons more than the base game's worth of content would be added. At least expectations are being set now to suggest this is not the case. Though I'm sure we'll be getting tons of content.

jahasaja

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Sweden
It is a bit later than I thought. People with experience of past games, when do you think they will release their next MH game on switch? They probably started development when they realized that the Switch was a success so I guess in has been in development for 1.5 years?

We are introducing a new quest rank, and while the amount of content in Iceborne isn't quite as big as the already huge Monster Hunter: World game, the expansion is sizeable and is really going to build upon the existing world.
[Source Timestamp]

There's been some odd comments on diff sites that Iceborne would be like a g-rank or ultimate where tons more than the base game's worth of content would be added. At least expectations are being set now to suggest this is not the case. Though I'm sure we'll be getting tons of content.
Clarifying that it's a quest rank makes me think that we're not getting G-rank per se, but they could do some stuff with introducing 10-star quests that makes it feel somewhat similar in terms of difficulty. Whether that's making the rest of the monsters have AT variants or perhaps bringing back some other variant types (Apex? Hyper?) remains to be seen, but I think it's getting clearer that this is going to break from tradition in some key ways.

spineduke

Oct 25, 2017
Clarifying that it's a quest rank makes me think that we're not getting G-rank per se, but they could do some stuff with introducing 10-star quests that makes it feel somewhat similar in terms of difficulty. Whether that's making the rest of the monsters have AT variants or perhaps bringing back some other variant types (Apex? Hyper?) remains to be seen, but I think it's getting clearer that this is going to break from tradition in some key ways.

Maybe they'll break away from the "G-rank" naming convention, but it'll technically be the same, a new tier of difficulty with monsters having additional moves and new gear associated with that rank type.

Maybe they'll break away from the "G-rank" naming convention, but it'll technically be the same, a new tier of difficulty with monsters having additional moves and new gear associated with that rank type.
It could very well be! I do suspect that it won't be, because that would mean that they would have to make new armor for Paolumu and I'm not sure that they're up to the task of doing anything other than a recolor of his low rank armor again!

Kidding aside, I think the "common monsters now have AT versions" idea has merit, because that would mean that they would be able to do 2-3 monster encounters.

spineduke

Oct 25, 2017
It could very well be! I do suspect that it won't be, because that would mean that they would have to make new armor for Paolumu and I'm not sure that they're up to the task of doing anything other than a recolor of his low rank armor again!

Kidding aside, I think the "common monsters now have AT versions" idea has merit, because that would mean that they would be able to do 2-3 monster encounters.

what they did in the past is keep the same look with maybe a minor change, and the skills are totally reworked.

GamingRobioto

May 18, 2018
Exeter, UK
I'll be ready to return by then. Loved my 100 hours with the game earlier this year but once the grind to fight the same monsters with higher stats started I was out. Bring on the new content.

Solo Kazama

Banned
Dec 27, 2017
Narcacuga is "easy" (relatively) after hundreds of fights. G ranked Silver Nargacuga is a whole different story

Geist 6one7

Oct 29, 2017
MASS
Make sure to bring your pitfall traps!
Lol.
Even if they are triple hard,I find it easier in a group then solo...like I am currently HR 62 and I can barely do a HR 30 Monster solo..I just start a quest,leave by myself and send a flare,usually fills up under 2 minutes,and I sometimes get players in the 400/500 range.
Iirc monsters have 2.5x health in multi. Prob why it seems easier in a group. They do have increased stagger and KO thresholds however.

Scything

Oct 25, 2017
Lol.

Iirc monsters have 2.5x health in multi. Prob why it seems easier in a group. They do have increased stagger and KO thresholds however.

Yeah, it's only really 2-manning it where you kind of get screwed (even with the palicoes); both players are usually attacking different body parts so it takes much longer to get a single trip, and god knows where the palicoes are aiming for.

OP
OP
tulpa

tulpa

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
It is a bit later than I thought. People with experience of past games, when do you think they will release their next MH game on switch? They probably started development when they realized that the Switch was a success so I guess in has been in development for 1.5 years?
The honest answer is that no one knows and it seems at least somewhat likely that there isn't another MH game coming for Switch. While Switch itself has been a success, the MH game they've recently released on Switch (Monster Hunter Generations Ultimate! It's awesome, check it out) hasn't been very successful but the PC/PS4/XB1 multiplat strategy they've taken with World has been very successful on home consoles, even (surprisingly) in Japan. I wouldn't be surprised if they continued down their current home console/multiplat path, but who knows. Capcom can be very unpredictable.

Dog of Bork

Oct 25, 2017
Texas
I bet there will be more MH on Switch. I doubt they'll redesign MHW2 to run on Switch.

Protoman200X

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
N. Vancouver, BC, Canada
Hoping that the Nergigante species will be added.

41I4NO7m76L._SX425_.jpg

jahasaja

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Sweden
The honest answer is that no one knows and it seems at least somewhat likely that there isn't another MH game coming for Switch. While Switch itself has been a success, the MH game they've recently released on Switch (Monster Hunter Generations Ultimate! It's awesome, check it out) hasn't been very successful but the PC/PS4/XB1 multiplat strategy they've taken with World has been very successful on home consoles, even (surprisingly) in Japan. I wouldn't be surprised if they continued down their current home console/multiplat path, but who knows. Capcom can be very unpredictable.
I know, MHGU is awesome! I still have not decided which is my favorite MH game this year.

Capcom already said that they will develop MH for Switch:
https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.ga...has-big-plans-for-nintendos-portable-console/

The big question is just how far along they are and I guess it is the MHGU team that is making it. But I have know idea.

OP
OP
tulpa

tulpa

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
I know, MHGU is awesome! I still have not decided which is my favorite MH game this year.

Capcom already said that they will develop MH for Switch:
https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.ga...has-big-plans-for-nintendos-portable-console/

The big question is just how far along they are and I guess it is the MHGU team that is making it. But I have know idea.
It's interesting, but I wouldn't judge that as a 100% confirmation that a new bespoke Switch game is coming. I hope it is, but the source is from a second-hand translation of a Capcom investors call (before GU was announced for Switch) and it appears the actual quote may be something along the lines of "expand Monster Hunter on Switch."

I'm not sure if that's a reference to GU or what, but I would be careful about the way some of these articles are sourced, which is basically from second-hand translated quotes from investors calls. Anyway I think the main point, which is to not necessarily bet that a brand new Switch game is guaranteed (at least not any time soon) is a decent one. I would love for them to drop more ports though. MH4U on Switch would be heavenly.

jahasaja

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Sweden
It's interesting, but I wouldn't judge that as a 100% confirmation that a new bespoke Switch game is coming. I hope it is, but the source is from a second-hand translation of a Capcom investors call (before GU was announced for Switch) and it appears the actual quote may be something along the lines of "expand Monster Hunter on Switch."

I'm not sure if that's a reference to GU or what, but I would be careful about the way some of these articles are sourced, which is basically from second-hand translated quotes from investors calls. Anyway I think the main point, which is to not necessarily bet that a brand new Switch game is guaranteed (at least not any time soon) is a decent one. I would love for them to drop more ports though. MH4U on Switch would be heavenly.

Wow, thanks for the info! The only thing I would add is that MHXX was already out in Japan at that time.

Deleted member 5596

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I'm very interested about the new moves part, they will replace existing part of the actual moveset or they will be added on top of them. It would be cool if something like X styles were added for each weapon.

Deleted member 42686

User requested account closure
Banned
Apr 26, 2018
I know this question might sound silly judging this game has its time. But is this game aways online or need an online check? I might pick this one.

mas8705

Oct 27, 2017
I only have nine monsters left to farm up before I can say I completed MHW. So this came in at just the right time. Probably will enjoy that break in between now and autumn though outside of the last two AT hunts and the appreciation fest.

>__

Alt Account
Banned
Oct 28, 2018

Ricker

Oct 27, 2017
Beautiful Province of Quebec.
That sounds great. Not a fan of aways online or checks. Solo for me its a plus, thanks for the imput.

It's up to you but there is no real advantage to playing offline...you can play the same way online,solo if you want but it takes 3 seconds on the thougher Bosses to send a flare,thats all you have to do,3 people will join in and help and they are gone after the fight and you are back playing solo if you want...some Bosses take forever solo and you need to grind to beat them and the campaign. :)