• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Meguro

Oct 27, 2017
Uhh, I do not recommend changing the API to DirectX 12 as it has completely bricked my game. It crashes on startup now after restarting for the change to take effect. Good stuff.
EDIT: Completely uninstalling Special K from my system has fixed this. So the advice about uninstalling all mods should be taken literal, even something as "small" as Special K.

Last edited:

AppleMIX

Prophet of Truth
Oct 27, 2017
I saw a prompt to unlock a armor by talking to someone but I click out of it too quickly. Anyone know who I talk to?

CountAntonio

Oct 25, 2017
So does anyone know if Iceborne broke mods or special k yet? I don't see why it would but i"m curious and still have 40GB left to download
Via reddit.

2dmrkzqcrq941.png

Pizzamigo

Oct 25, 2017
Eager to see impressions of Iceborne performance compared to base game on PC now that some of you guys are playing it

Rubblatus

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Booooooy, the new control issues/restrictions they introduced for mouse and keyboard are really screwing with me right now. Melee weapons are mostly the same, but the inability to carve with right mouse button using ranged weapons because it brings up the Slinger Sight if the bow isn't drawn is something that came out of nowhere and has forced me to remap way too many options to be comfortable with.

I really hope a mod fixes this soon.

DrROBschiz

Oct 25, 2017
I can't watch the video for a few more hours, any chance I can get a cliff notes summary? :D

On a good rig you can expect great detail and options. Direct X12 integration seems really good
60FPS or more since you can run uncapped

Just to name a few things

Booooooy, the new control issues/restrictions they introduced for mouse and keyboard are really screwing with me right now. Melee weapons are mostly the same, but the inability to carve with right mouse button using ranged weapons because it brings up the Slinger Sight if the bow isn't drawn is something that came out of nowhere and has forced me to remap way too many options to be comfortable with.

I really hope a mod fixes this soon.

Im floored people actually play MH with mouse and Keyboard. Controller man... controllers!

mere_immortal

Oct 25, 2017
Downloading nooooooooow. No idea what weapon to use. Was maining charge blade on PS4, switched to GS when I moved to PC then have been using HBG a bunch recently.

Pizzamigo

Oct 25, 2017
On a good rig you can expect great detail and options. Direct X12 integration seems really good
60FPS or more since you can run uncapped

Just to name a few things

Im floored people actually play MH with mouse and Keyboard. Controller man... controllers!

Thanks! Did he mention an improvement in Iceborne compared to base game though? Just curious if I'll be able to squeak out more frames or if the added graphics options make it run slightly worse.

Downloading nooooooooow. No idea what weapon to use. Was maining charge blade on PS4, switched to GS when I moved to PC then have been using HBG a bunch recently.

I used Longsword in the base game on PC, in same boat as you. Thinking I'll check out Hammer for IB to switch it up, seems like a totally different style. Gonna have to focus more on breaking faces/heads instead of cutting tails.

DrROBschiz

Oct 25, 2017
Thanks! Did he mention an improvement in Iceborne compared to base game though? Just curious if I'll be able to squeak out more frames or if the added graphics options make it run slightly worse.

I used Longsword in the base game on PC, in same boat as you. Thinking I'll check out Hammer for IB to switch it up, seems like a totally different style. Gonna have to focus more on breaking faces/heads instead of cutting tails.

He didn't

I would love to see a detailed comparison breakdown from someone

Oct 27, 2017
This definitely feels like it runs better than the base game. I could be wrong though. Native HDR is a LOT better and there's PS button icon options now. Who needs mods lol

banter

Jan 12, 2018
This definitely feels like it runs better than the base game. I could be wrong though. Native HDR is a LOT better and there's PS button icon options now. Who needs mods lol
It was the same way for consoles (running smoother and improved HDR i mean), and there's much more room for improvement on PC so i'm not surprised (and glad) to hear this.

Lyrick

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Master Edition should be available now on Steam

You can try keeping an eye on coupons and deals for this edition going forward (it wasnt for sale until today) so I would look for that.

good luck! I know some people snagged discounted Keys for Iceborne with GMG and CDKeys but i think they had the base game as well

Maybe buying each separately at a discount might be cheapest?

Thanks grabbed it and installing remotely.

Rubblatus

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
I get why people would think that after the disastrous way MHW launched on PC, but when they did their Ultrawide update they implemented a new camera look option that fixed everything.

You lost analog movement which made ledge hopping with melee weapons suck since you'd have to swing around the mouse to compensate for that, but in return you got mouse look/aiming which made tracking monsters absolutely painless, one key shortcuts to your item bar instead of having to use that awful radial menu, and with software, easy multi-button macros you could throw onto Mouse Buttons 3 and 4 (Plus the "V" key) to handle literally every need you could have.

It was way better than controller until they ruined it with Iceborne's release and started tying too many actions to a single buttons that caused a snowballing effect with valid keybinds.

DrROBschiz

Oct 25, 2017
I get why people would think that after the disastrous way MHW launched on PC, but when they did their Ultrawide update they implemented a new camera look option that fixed everything.

You lost analog movement which made ledge hopping with melee weapons suck since you'd have to swing around the mouse to compensate for that, but in return you got mouse look/aiming which made tracking monsters absolutely painless, one key shortcuts to your item bar instead of having to use that awful radial menu, and with software, easy multi-button macros you could throw onto Mouse Buttons 3 and 4 (Plus the "V" key) to handle literally every need you could have.

It was way better than controller until they ruined it with Iceborne's release.

Thats fascinating man

Hopefully you all figure out a keybinding solution for Iceborne. It was tricky for us controller users as well for a few weapons. Learning how to switch modes on Bow for Thousand dragons is a bitch and I still mess it up sometimes

Arcus Felis

Unshakable Resolve
Oct 26, 2017
PS4 button mapping is now natively available in Iceborne itself so you no longer need the mod
Nice! So, the game is currently updating. I have a nativePC folder, with a "ui" subfolder, "keyboard" sub-subfolder, "tex" subsubsubfolder and, finally, two files button_addpc_win_ID and button1_addpc_win_ID. I guess this is it? I can just delete the whole nativePC folder when the game is finished updating and call it a day?

TrueHero

Feb 24, 2018
man if i knew it would take this long to send out keys on voidu I would have spent a couple more bucks somewhere else.

Syril

Oct 26, 2017
Thats fascinating man

Hopefully you all figure out a keybinding solution for Iceborne. It was tricky for us controller users as well for a few weapons. Learning how to switch modes on Bow for Thousand dragons is a bitch and I still mess it up sometimes
I have that on Shift (same for sword and shield mode switching). The game's not entirely clear that you can do Thousand Dragons any time you can normally do Dragon Piercer so it just becomes Shift + Dragon Piercer. I should note that I make heavy use of side mouse buttons. I can't imagine playing this with a three button mouse.

Ramza

Oct 27, 2017
Mexico City
Facetimed my wife and asked her to turn on my PC and took her step by step to get the update to download. Hope it's ready when I get home from work.

R.T Straker

Chicken Chaser
Oct 25, 2017
The performance is even worse then when the game launched lmao.

On a 2700x/1080TI I get stuttering in the first monster fight in the Ice region. Suttering that never happend during the base game.

cubistic

Oct 27, 2017
Wait how big is the steam download if you already have the base game? I'm hearing 40GB, 45GB, 80GB, 85GB....

OP
OP
BDS

BDS

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Wait how big is the steam download if you already have the base game? I'm hearing 40GB, 45GB, 80GB, 85GB....

Roughly 40GB for the game itself and another ~45GB for the high-res texture pack if you chose to download it. It seems that it auto-downloads the texture pack if you have the base game's texture pack already installed.

cubistic

Oct 27, 2017
Roughly 40GB for the game itself and another ~45GB for the high-res texture pack if you chose to download it. It seems that it auto-downloads the texture pack if you have the base game's texture pack already installed.
40GB, but it just redownloads the entire game and that's without the big textures.
Should be around 40 GB or double that with the high resolution texture pack.

Hmm it should be done when I get back from work then... Thanks guys.

Argus

Oct 27, 2017
Something is intrinsically broken. 50% of my frame rate is gone, and just about all changes to graphics effects including dx version have almost no effect on frame rate. Something is caught as a massive bottleneck. My 3770 is obviously weaker than my 1080, but I was getting 80-90 fps before and now it says 60, but it's stutter city, and the whole image looks like a soupy mess, no matter the settings I use. It feels like they once again ported too much from the console, and lost the progress that previous pc patches have given.

DrROBschiz

Oct 25, 2017
The performance is even worse then when the game launched lmao.

On a 2700x/1080TI I get stuttering in the first monster fight in the Ice region. Suttering that never happend during the base game.

You may have to do some good ol PC troubleshooting since this shouldn't be the norm based on what other people have going on

Arcus Felis

Unshakable Resolve
Oct 26, 2017
... Well, I'll see for myself if the PC port is - again - a mess at release or not. I was not able to play MHW when it released on PC, I was plagued with framerate issues and freezes. I really hope this isn't the case again, but if it is, I will be very annoyed. They don't have any excuses this time.

DrROBschiz

Oct 25, 2017
There's no PC troubleshooting to be done, nothing wrong on my end.

Game is just yet again in a terrible state on PC as per typical MH team.

What are you talking about.

Unless there is something actually broken this kind of thing happens all the time to PC players for various games cuz no two rigs are ever the same among hundreds of other factors and variables

Chances are you aren't the only one having issues so Im sure there may be something you can do to fix the issue or maybe not

Sorry its not working great for you though

Dalik

Nov 1, 2017
Not played it yet but some steam forum impressions are really bad. As expected they let us wait for a shitty port again

JChung55

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Can I get some input? I played through the base game on PS4 when it first came out and loved it, but burned out after 80 hours or so. Iceborne previews have got me excited again but I don't know if I have it in me to blast through the base game again.

I do have a pretty good PC (1080TI) so it would be my first time running on PC. Is it different enough to propel me through base game again? And last but not least, should I just get it?

DrROBschiz

Oct 25, 2017
Not played it yet but some steam forum impressions are really bad. As expected they let us wait for a shitty port again

This isn't uncommon with all the different PC configs out there and those who are mad usually yell the loudest

Would like to know the issues and data on it as well as the volume of problems and their causes. Still a shame that anyone has to deal with that from the get go though

Hopefully all those who are running into issues are able to get solutions quickly

This is the tradeoff with PC gaming that puts on edge when thinking about dumping tons of money into a new build

Dalik

Nov 1, 2017
This isn't uncommon with all the different PC configs out there and those who are mad usually yell the loudest

Would like to know the issues and data on it as well as the volume of problems and their causes. Still a shame that anyone has to deal with that from the get go though

Hopefully all those who are running into issues are able to get solutions quickly

This is the tradeoff with PC gaming that puts on edge when thinking about dumping tons of money into a new build
I mean i understand the sentiment but MHW port has not been a good port at all and we have waited 8 months + 4 months again. It wasnt "different PC configs" at launch, please.

DrROBschiz

Oct 25, 2017
I mean i understand the sentiment but MHW port has not been a good port at all and we have waited 8 months + 4 months again. It wasnt "different PC configs" at launch, please.

Well what is it this time?

A bad port or something else? Did we ever even figure out the causes that plagued the release last time?

Khilandros

Oct 25, 2017
Canada
Yay! So happy this is finally out on PC, having a blast (literally) smashing the new Mons with my hammer and I haven't noticed any issues at all.

Rubblatus

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
All this handwaving of technical issues is pretty frustrating and only gets in the way of people actually trying to fix these issues.

Really feels like it. I lost a lot of performance in the default DX11 implementation of the game and spent a while trying to figure out why I was struggling to get above 70 FPS on a 2080TI that was hovering over 90 literally the day prior.

Best fix I've found is that you have to move into their new DX12 implementation, which requires uninstalling Special K if you had that previously. Unfortunately, I still feel like I'm down ten frames from yesterday while I'm on expeditions, even with all the new features turned off and everything otherwise the same, settings-wise.

R.T Straker

Chicken Chaser
Oct 25, 2017
What are you talking about.

Unless there is something actually broken this kind of thing happens all the time to PC players for various games cuz no two rigs are ever the same among hundreds of other factors and variables

Chances are you aren't the only one having issues so Im sure there may be something you can do to fix the issue or maybe not

Sorry its not working great for you though

The better qustion would be what are YOU talking about?

The PC version has been yet again launched into a piss poor state. It's not just me or X from this topic, look on the steam forums and you'd see that this is riddled with problems, most of which are performance yet again.

Stop defending companies over their shit launches, it's not helping anyone.