• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Sky87

Oct 27, 2017
Alot of Iceborne monsters are harder to deal with with GS than they are in the base game. Everything hops around alot so you won't get alot of openings, which is why alot of people go to Crit Draw GS (I don't like that build though). Once you get used to a monster's movements and attacks, it becomes alot easier to see those juicy 1400+ damage final TCS hits but learning the openings gets rough.

I'd also recommend most melee players to build the MR Teostra helm, arms, and waist as soon as they can. It's your new Drachen and Iceborne gives you more than enough slots to fit in QoL like health boost and the such. Master's Touch is so powerful that it invalidates most of the other set bonuses in the game for melee. None of the defensive set bonuses are that great until you get to MR70 and get a set bonus that gives you Divine Blessing Lv5, but that's a 2pc set and you can have Master's Touch AND Divine Blessing 5 with Health Boost 3 and 100% crit on softened weakpoints.

Support players - build Tigrex 3pc set asap. 75% chance of not consuming an item is crazy.

Bows + DBs - build Velkana 2pc with a certain new elder's 2pc once you get it, it'll be your bread and butter til MR70. Gives you MR Crit Element and a boost to your element altogether.

CB users - don't fall into the trap of Artillery 5, it doesn't actually increase your damage all that much. Just shoot for your core skills and add Offensive Guard and Teo set bonus when you can. Also you'll probably want at least Guard 3 since Guard 1 even with a charged shield isn't enough guard to respond with a SAED for alot of Iceborne monsters.

Bowguns - I don't know how to build for these during the story but I assume it would be 3pc Narga for True Spare Shot (75% chance of not using ammo) or using a Razor Sharp Charm from the house quests. Endgame though, Sticky LBG becomes crazy good and Spread HBG is the most broken thing in the game. You can pretty much sit in front of Teostra's face and be invincible the entire hunt while doing huge damage.
Since you seem to have some good tips in general, what do you think of these builds for LS? https://fextralife.com/monster-hunter-world-iceborne-the-evolution-of-long-sword-builds/

It's what i'm going to go for while in the beginning of Iceborne. Feel free to suggest anything else for LS though.

DrROBschiz

Oct 25, 2017
I would argue that Masters Touch isn't nearly as valuable as it used to be

Many melee weapons have access to giant sharpness bars and unless you are running a purple sharpness 100%affinity element build you are essentially giving up a 3pc set bonus for skill thats only providing a "convenience" that you may not need

Not to mention you have easy access to a razor sharp charm relatively early into Iceborne

Think of it this way. If you have a giant chunk of white and dont even leave white sharpness before the monster flees after the first encounter... You can just whetstone in between and continue the hunt and masters touch sat idle for almost the entire fight

Masters touch is awesome especially for strong weapons that desperately need it like Shara. Otherwise I would consider other options as well based on the weapon itself!

TeenageFBI

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
I do not have vsync enabled, unless the vsync setting in the game doesn't actually work, which is possible.
Make sure you check your global driver settings. Those can override in-game settings.

Vsync is the only thing I can think of that would cause framerate to drop from 60 to 30 exactly, with no steps in between.

Bessy67

Oct 29, 2017

Many melee weapons have access to giant sharpness bars and unless you are running a purple sharpness 100%affinity element build you are essentially giving up a 3pc set bonus for skill thats only providing a "convenience" that you may not need

Not to mention you have easy access to a razor sharp charm relatively early into Iceborne

Think of it this way. If you have a giant chunk of white and dont even leave white sharpness before the monster flees after the first encounter... You can just whetstone in between and continue the hunt and masters touch sat idle for almost the entire fight

Masters touch is awesome especially for strong weapons that desperately need it like Shara. Otherwise I would consider other options as well based on the weapon itself!
Wasting a charm on razor sharp when you can use it for 4 levels of 5 level skills like agitator or handicraft is a bad idea, and you're still going to be sharpening all the time without master's touch for weapons like dual blades, lance, insect glaive, etc. Plus with the Safi weapons you really only need 2 piece Teo, and the head and gloves are pretty good anyways. I agree that master's touch is a waste for weapons like hammer and greatsword though.

ThePrince

Nov 1, 2017
Hi I have a quick question.

I've been playing this game pretty much for the first time over thar past week and I've been wondering, is there any point in me making gear form the base game or should I just get through to Iceborne and start grinding stuff out then?

DrROBschiz

Oct 25, 2017
Wasting a charm on razor sharp when you can use it for 4 levels of 5 level skills like agitator or handicraft is a bad idea, and you're still going to be sharpening all the time without master's touch for weapons like dual blades, lance, insect glaive, etc. Plus with the Safi weapons you really only need 2 piece Teo, and the head and gloves are pretty good anyways.

Im just saying that Masters Touch was only a requirement in the old meta because white sharpness was so integral to damage out

Now you could easily trade that out for stuff like agitator secret or many other set bonuses instead since many weapons have more than enough white.

The ones i use now on switch axe definitely dont need master touch. I can concede to this argument for Duals and maybe insect glaive as well. Definitely a more important skill for them

Tangyn

Oct 29, 2017
Really want to get this on PC but the thought of playing the tutorial sections etc etc ( that rubbish boss fight with the fire rock dude) again is putting me off. Played the PS4 version (vanilla) for a 100 or so hours.

Can I import a save? Download someone else's from the internet? Anything like that?

Bessy67

Oct 29, 2017

I've been playing this game pretty much for the first time over thar past week and I've been wondering, is there any point in me making gear form the base game or should I just get through to Iceborne and start grinding stuff out then?
I mean, if you're just interested in the best and strongest gear then yeah just wait until Iceborn endgame to grind. But at least weapon wise you're going to need the lower level stuff to upgrade as well so it doesn't hurt to do some farming in low and high rank too.

Detective Pidgey

Alt Account
Banned
Jun 4, 2019
Ah shit, this sucks. I want to get the full Nargacuga armor but I need the mantle and something with Gajau. The frequency for the mantle is one star, Jesus. Plus I need to either break his head or tail. Not gonna be able to do that with the dual blades. How do I go about this the best way?

Bessy67

Oct 29, 2017
Ah shit, this sucks. I want to get the full Nargacuga armor but I need the mantle and something with Gajau. The frequency for the mantle is one star, Jesus. Plus I need to either break his head or tail. Not gonna be able to do that with the dual blades. How do I go about this the best way?
See if you have an investigation for Narga. Gold rewards in investigations are your best bet for mantles. Plus once you get the mantle once you can meld it for a celestial wyvern print, which you can get once per week at the steamworks and once from the weekly bounties. Also dual blades are one of the better tail cutting weapons so focus on that during the hunt.

Pyros Eien

Oct 31, 2017
Im just saying that Masters Touch was only a requirement in the old meta because white sharpness was so integral to damage out

Now you could easily trade that out for stuff like agitator secret or many other set bonuses instead since many weapons have more than enough white.

The ones i use now on switch axe definitely dont need master touch. I can concede to this argument for Duals and maybe insect glaive as well. Definitely a more important skill for them
I'll see once I get there but Lance tends to eat through sharpness like crazy too and master's touch was way way better than styx weapons with the old razorsharp and decent white sharpness for example. Especially any time you try to chase down a monster moving between areas with the charge. For slower weapons though I could see it as a valid point, dropping master's touch can be done probably on a bunch of weapons, although it also depends on how the weapon is made, if you have 20hits of purple you kinda want to have master's touch but if you have 80hits of white you can probably do without on some.

Well the first obvious possibility is to just craft 3(or 4) pieces and get something else. Second, investigation boxes can drop everything, same for Plunderblade steals, so you don't need to break these specifically. Also isn't mantle just new gems? These have a 2% chance to drop from any part break iirc. As for the Gajau part I did that earlier it takes 2mins.

Edit: Checking Kiranico it's 2% from tail/head breaks, 2% from capture/slay box, 1% from plunderblade and 8% silver boxes, 16% gold boxes, might be 2% from bronze?

xEik

The Fallen
Nov 17, 2017
Principality of Catalonia
You either do investigations with gold boxes, pair with someone that will cut the tail for you or use a weekly ticket on the melder.

DrROBschiz

Oct 25, 2017
I'll see once I get there but Lance tends to eat through sharpness like crazy too and master's touch was way way better than styx weapons with the old razorsharp and decent white sharpness for example. Especially any time you try to chase down a monster moving between areas with the charge. For slower weapons though I could see it as a valid point, dropping master's touch can be done probably on a bunch of weapons, although it also depends on how the weapon is made, if you have 20hits of purple you kinda want to have master's touch but if you have 80hits of white you can probably do without on some.

Well the first obvious possibility is to just craft 3(or 4) pieces and get something else. Second, investigation boxes can drop everything, same for Plunderblade steals, so you don't need to break these specifically. Also isn't mantle just new gems? These have a 2% chance to drop from any part break iirc. As for the Gajau part I did that earlier it takes 2mins.

Well yeah I made that exact point in my post above. The problem with purple is dminishing returns but it has a really nice modifier boost for element masters touch/purple element builds are quite powerful

For those of us only concerned with white you really only NEED Masters Touch if your white bar is small and you arent using Handicraft/Razor Sharp

I only bring all this up to kind of encourage more people to be more free with their builds because many skills in Iceborne are very powerful now for various reasons. We have excellent Attack, Defense and utility skills that shouldn't be passed over in favor of chasing an old and outdated meta

With that said the Teostra Armor set is still VERY good. Has great skills like weakness exploit and blast attack built in for example among other valuable skills

Thats up to you

As far as making progress then no. Just grab the Guardian set and blow through to Iceborne

But if you want to take your time and savor the game... get the full experience as it was originally designed than by all means get lost in the lower ranks!

ThePrince

Nov 1, 2017
I mean, if you're just interested in the best and strongest gear then yeah just wait until Iceborn endgame to grind. But at least weapon wise you're going to need the lower level stuff to upgrade as well so it doesn't hurt to do some farming in low and high rank too.

Ahh I see so the weapon trees basically keep going? I've basically just been going at my own pace but obviously I don't want to waste a load of materials on stuff that will be useless.

Thanks for the help!

Xiaomi

Oct 25, 2017
Played through the first two new monsters solo on PC with a hammer without too much of a problem, lots of fun. New weapons seem like they'll take a lot to get unlocked, but I'm looking forward to spending a few hours with it this weekend.

skillzilla81

Self-requested temporary ban
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Are all the awesome black hairstyles part of the base game or do I need to buy the update as well?

Virtua Saturn

Oct 27, 2017
I ran charge blade main for all of MHW base game. I am debating on going horn or hammer for Iceborne. I am trying to decide which to go with. Any opinions would be appreciated!

DrROBschiz

Oct 25, 2017
I ran charge blade main for all of MHW base game. I am debating on going horn or hammer for Iceborne. I am trying to decide which to go with. Any opinions would be appreciated!

Give hunting horn a try. It got some some of the largest changes of all the weapons and will feel like playing a completely different game

Einherjer

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Germany
Oh shit didn't even think to check mods... That's awesome, thanks very much!

It's pretty useless atm though since they blocked all save editors with Iceborne and you need one to change the steam id so the save works.

I'm actually pretty pissed about that since i'm one of the poor souls who's savegame got deleted because it was too old and now i have to start a totally new one to play Iceborne.

Geist 6one7

Oct 29, 2017
MASS
Wasting a charm on razor sharp when you can use it for 4 levels of 5 level skills like agitator or handicraft is a bad idea, and you're still going to be sharpening all the time without master's touch for weapons like dual blades, lance, insect glaive, etc. Plus with the Safi weapons you really only need 2 piece Teo, and the head and gloves are pretty good anyways. I agree that master's touch is a waste for weapons like hammer and greatsword though.
Master's Touch is def not a waste for Hammer if you're playing cleanly. Purple sharpness is a worthwhile damage boost and even if you only get 10 hits on the best non DLC weapon (Grinding Mallet) with the right set up, you won't lose sharpness until you hit somewhere other than the head 10 times if you're maxing Affinity and using WEX. Even if you start with purple and go down to white mid hunt the DPS is better than alternate builds. I don't think we should be suggesting Safi stuff to PC players as he won't be available for awhile.

DrROBschiz

Oct 25, 2017
Master's Touch is def not a waste for Hammer if you're playing cleanly. Purple sharpness is a worthwhile damage boost and even if you only get 10 hits on the best non DLC weapon (Grinding Mallet) with the right set up, you won't lose sharpness until you hit somewhere other than the head 10 times if you're maxing Affinity and using WEX. Even if you start with purple and go down to white mid hunt the DPS is better than alternate builds. I don't think we should be suggesting Safi stuff to PC players as he won't be available for awhile.

I didnt say it was a waste. I was just urging players to consider all options and how a weapon with a massive white bar might open doors to stacking other skills since its such a big investment

thats all

Euler007

Jan 10, 2018
Master's Touch is integral to the meta sets for a very large potion of the melee sets. Just for kicks I took out Master's touch from my support SnS set (WR5, Speed eating 3, free meal secret 3,etc) and it dropped from 500 hits of white to 50. This set is not possible on PC until you can get your hand on a Safi SnS. Probably not perfect either but just an exemple of the immense effect MT has : My support SnS build

Edit: This is 500 hits without tenderizing, infinity hits on a weakened section.

DrROBschiz

Oct 25, 2017
Master's Touch is integral to the meta sets for a very large potion of the melee sets. Just for kicks I took out Master's touch from my support SnS set (WR5, Speed eating 3, free meal secret 3,etc) and it dropped from 500 hits of white to 50. This set is not possible on PC until you can get your hand on a Safi SnS. Probably not perfect either but just an exemple of the immense effect MT has : My support SnS build

Well i suppose SnS, Duals and Insect Glaive are ideal though Im surprised it chews through its sharpness bar in 50 hits. What sword is it and how large is the bar?

Euler

Oct 27, 2017
Since affinity is so easy to get and so effective, master's touch is really good to put into your set. You don't *need* it for most weapons but the opportunity cost is often so low there's little reason to not take it unless you really want another set bonus.

banter

Jan 12, 2018

Edit: This is 500 hits without tenderizing, infinity hits on a weakened section.
Yeah, all of my safi weapons (except bows obviously) have sacrificed 1 slot for a sharpness V because the standard sharpness just doesn't last long enough.

Kaguya

Jun 19, 2018

It's more viable than vanilla World Master's Touch(vanilla Teo armor sucked), just not as viable as Drachen or AT Teo sets which pretty much shut down any reason to use any other armor for melee weapons.

dom

▲ Legend ▲
Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
It's pretty useless atm though since they blocked all save editors with Iceborne and you need one to change the steam id so the save works.

I'm actually pretty pissed about that since i'm one of the poor souls who's savegame got deleted because it was too old and now i have to start a totally new one to play Iceborne.
It's not, do it. The save is from an older version than current so it will work with save editors. You can use the character edit voucher to change the look.

roflwaffles

Oct 30, 2017
I didnt say it was a waste. I was just urging players to consider all options and how a weapon with a massive white bar might open doors to stacking other skills since its such a big investment

thats all

I would say that the argument isn't so much that Master's Touch is absolutely essential for melee but more so that you don't gain anything of significance from not running Master's Touch for a damage-focused build, assuming you have decos of course. I ran non-Master's Touch builds with Ruiner weapons (100 hits of white) with all offensive skills applicable (Agi 5, Peak 3, Attack Boost 7, etc) and a Master's Touch version pretty much did the same damage.

Of course, I'm not saying that this is how everyone should play - if something is working for someone and they like the build, then by all means, go for it! Damage isn't everything necessarily and I do think that the Tigrex bonus (Free Meal secret), especially if you can fit Speed Eating 3, is worth it for alot of players - but a lot of the other bonuses are kind of lackluster for raw weapons. The Teo set is just the most widely useful bonus for the most amount of weapons IMO so I would still recommend anyone to have it in their repertoire, even if it isn't what they end up going with.

Since you seem to have some good tips in general, what do you think of these builds for LS? https://fextralife.com/monster-hunter-world-iceborne-the-evolution-of-long-sword-builds/

It's what i'm going to go for while in the beginning of Iceborne. Feel free to suggest anything else for LS though.

Looks about optimal for each stage in MR, personally I couldn't deal with using Viper Tobi LS since it's so ugly so I used CB early game which used similar early game pieces but I had Banbaro pieces for Offensive Guard and kept Damascus Beta HR chest for Focus +2 until I got the MR version late game. I used the Narga set here for LS and SA mid-game and eventually made the Teo sets shortly after.

I think 30 or so hits of white or so would be the minimum that I would run GS/Hammer without Master's Touch, but I would still recommend Master's Touch with these weapons for the reasons above. Personally, my Hammer/GS builds run 10-20 hits of purple with Master's Touch and I don't fall to white unless I'm constantly clutch clawing.

Last edited:

Detective Pidgey

Alt Account
Banned
Jun 4, 2019
See if you have an investigation for Narga. Gold rewards in investigations are your best bet for mantles. Plus once you get the mantle once you can meld it for a celestial wyvern print, which you can get once per week at the steamworks and once from the weekly bounties. Also dual blades are one of the better tail cutting weapons so focus on that during the hunt.

Edit: Checking Kiranico it's 2% from tail/head breaks, 2% from capture/slay box, 1% from plunderblade and 8% silver boxes, 16% gold boxes, might be 2% from bronze?
You either do investigations with gold boxes, pair with someone that will cut the tail for you or use a weekly ticket on the melder.

Oh wow, I totally completely forgot about the investigations. I kept seeing the old ones and forgot I can choose "manage investigations". That's what you get when you've not played the game for a year or so, haha.

DrArchon

Oct 25, 2017
I'm pretty sure that the only weapons that don't run Master's Touch on pure DPS builds most of the time are DBs and Elemental SAED focused CB.

And even then you could run with MT on Elemental CB with 3-piece Safi 2-piece Teo + Awakening, but I really like see the big numbers on the big explosions.

Deleted member 36578

Dec 21, 2017
I have some friends on PC and I really wish this game was cross play. I'm not willing to start all over again and double dip just to join them but the thought keeps crossing my mind.