• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

DrROBschiz

Oct 25, 2017
Defense Boost is a trap - don't run it. Health Boost, Divine Protection, and Stun Resistance are much stronger skills for tanking stuff.

I hope they change how Defense Boost functions in the future.

Have it work like a permanent Divine Blessing where it provides a set damage reduction. Maybe like 3/5/7/10/15/20 for each level?

Guppeth

Oct 25, 2017
Sheffield, UK
I'm gonna go get Legiana armor then, I just wiki'ed it. I've now put three level 1 health boost jewels on my Uragaan outfit. I wish it was level 2 or higher, but I don't have those. Also, at what point can I meld decorations higher than level 1 at the melder?
Health boost decorations are always level 1, or paired with another skill on a level 4 deco. You can only ever get 1 point of health boost from a deco.

The melder isn't a good place to get decos anyway. You can only meld a small selection of level 1 decos, or gamble on the ritual that I forgot the name of that gives feystones and shit.

rahji

Oct 25, 2017
Crafted the Shara SA yesterday and despite being not impressed by it when I saw the values, it shreds through monsters and is a direct upgrade from my velkhana axe. I guess the ice element wasn't that good. It doesn't quite reach purple sharpness but the raw damage is really good now.

DrROBschiz

Oct 25, 2017
Crafted the Shara SA yesterday and despite being not impressed by it when I saw the values, it shreds through monsters and is a direct upgrade from my velkhana axe. I guess the ice element wasn't that good. It doesn't quite reach purple sharpness but the raw damage is really good now.

Yeah getting the most out of an element focused switch axe takes a little build management compared to using a more powerful raw weapon

If you look at some of axes on the Tree the difference in Raw Rating between High Element axes and Raw focused ones can be as much as 100 points or more

Im not a motion values expert but I think if you want to bridge the gap and still have element tacking on the damage on Switch Axe you need to use some of the weapons that bridge the gap a little better and pick up boosts from Safi Gear/Velkhana/Silver Rath/Namielle.

I really should experiment with the different phials and how they work in this respect and what playstyle takes best advantage of the different builds

.exe

Oct 25, 2017
Watching a video where someone upgraded a rarity 9 armor from 114 defense to 132, but when I try to do it, I can only go up to like 120 for some reason. And it doesn't look like they augmented it to remove the upgrade limit. Anyone know what I'm missing here?

OP
OP
BDS

BDS

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Watching a video where someone upgraded a rarity 9 armor from 114 defense to 132, but when I try to do it, I can only go up to like 120 for some reason. And it doesn't look like they augmented it to remove the upgrade limit. Anyone know what I'm missing here?

Not all armors of the same rarity have the same defense.

DrROBschiz

Oct 25, 2017

Certain armors have better base limits than others but I thought it was all tied to rarity... so im not sure

DrROBschiz

Oct 25, 2017
Yeah, that I know. But it's the exact same armor piece. So I can only get it to 120, but in the video it goes to 132. Confusing. Does it depend on your rank or something?

oh yeah

I forgot about that. Suprised it still persists in Master rank but yeah you need to push further into the campaign to unlock how far the smithy can push upgrade levels

.exe

Oct 25, 2017

Detective Pidgey

Alt Account
Banned
Jun 4, 2019
Defense Boost is a trap - don't run it. Health Boost, Divine Protection, and Stun Resistance are much stronger skills for tanking stuff.

Will definitely do that from now on. I have one protection jewel 1, so I'll add that to the armor. I wish I could meld these myself, but it's not in the list at the elder melder yet. Is this an unlockable later?

Was on expedition in Hoarfrost on my own, just gathering shit and then I saw a Fulgur Anjanath, decided to try it and I actually killed it. Feels good! So far with this game we've only been hunting these monsters together, me and my friends. But it's fun to try it alone too.

roflwaffles

Oct 30, 2017
IMO, elemental is too much trouble with SA.
Yeah getting the most out of an element focused switch axe takes a little build management compared to using a more powerful raw weapon

If you look at some of axes on the Tree the difference in Raw Rating between High Element axes and Raw focused ones can be as much as 100 points or more

Im not a motion values expert but I think if you want to bridge the gap and still have element tacking on the damage on Switch Axe you need to use some of the weapons that bridge the gap a little better and pick up boosts from Safi Gear/Velkhana/Silver Rath/Namielle.

I really should experiment with the different phials and how they work in this respect and what playstyle takes best advantage of the different builds

I tried to make elemental SA work, and to an extent it does (particularly for ZSD spam) but the sharpness management is so bad running Silverlos and I hate running Protective Polish. You can run Teostra Master's Touch + Velk Crit Ele for some better sharpness management but at that point, running raw is just better. Elemental unfortunately does not get Power Phial's 17% boost to raw in charge state.

Will definitely do that from now on. I have one protection jewel 1, so I'll add that to the armor. I wish I could meld these myself, but it's not in the list at the elder melder yet. Is this an unlockable later?

Not sure, I've never melded decos tbh. It should be one of the lower rarity ones.

silva1991

Oct 26, 2017
The legend is true, this deco exists

jtQzMeX.jpg

Lol I don't even need it anymore, but still nice to have.

I also completed the powerful Safi elemental bow build today.

Time to stop playing this baby until the next additional content(or when they add crossplay)

I hate Teostra so much. Fuck that fight.

The difference in difficulty between OG World teostra and Iceborne is simply amazing to witness. He went from a piece of garbage that hardly touches anyone to a killing machine that will destroy everything left and right.

And I fucking love it.

DrArchon

Oct 25, 2017
The difference in difficulty between OG World teostra and Iceborne is simply amazing to witness. He went from a piece of garbage that hardly touches anyone to a killing machine that will destroy everything left and right.

And I fucking love it.
It's impressive how much harder they were able to make Teo just by putting him in blast powder mode almost all the time.

Detective Pidgey

Alt Account
Banned
Jun 4, 2019
Damn what to do.

Do I go for a full A armor of Legiana and have all the extra skills it offers, but not any jewel 4 slots?

Or go for full B armor, but missing out on some of those skills but several level 4 slots for jewels? I could pick one B piece and have the rest be A armor pieces, but won't I miss out on the legiana ambition bonus skill?

xEik

The Fallen
Nov 17, 2017
Principality of Catalonia
Damn what to do.

Do I go for a full A armor of Legiana and have all the extra skills it offers, but not any jewel 4 slots?

Or go for full B armor, but missing out on some of those skills but several level 4 slots for jewels? I could pick one B piece and have the rest be A armor pieces, but won't I miss out on the legiana ambition bonus skill?
Bonus skills apply even when using mixed A/B pieces. They even apply to monster variants if they share the same bonus.

Pyros Eien

Oct 31, 2017

And I fucking love it.

Really I thought it was fairly similar to tempered teostra or so. The new moves aren't so bad and overall it's fairly similar in the sense that if you don't get chain flinches and knock downs, he can get pretty feisty, but fire mantle still makes the fight a ton easier. The biggest "buff" he got is that I didn't have health augments yet so healing the constant shitty damage was a pain.

The one I was pretty surprised about was Kirin. He got a lot of buffs on his normal moves, actually carted me 3 times before I stopped trying to counter lightnings like an idiot and just held block/power guard because everything is multihits now almost, that or he does a long cast with a short cast randomly happening just before(so you counter the short and get hit by long). Once I got used to the new stuff though he was just as easy as before, low hp and high chance to knock down.

Lunastra is also in theory real stupid but haven't fought her yet.

Estarossa

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
You never know, they might change the schedule for the PC version and announce on next week's dev diary that they will move everything forward and bring it to parity with the console version. Rajangs for everyone!

BloodHound

Oct 27, 2017
Really I thought it was fairly similar to tempered teostra or so. The new moves aren't so bad and overall it's fairly similar in the sense that if you don't get chain flinches and knock downs, he can get pretty feisty, but fire mantle still makes the fight a ton easier. The biggest "buff" he got is that I didn't have health augments yet so healing the constant shitty damage was a pain.

The one I was pretty surprised about was Kirin. He got a lot of buffs on his normal moves, actually carted me 3 times before I stopped trying to counter lightnings like an idiot and just held block/power guard because everything is multihits now almost, that or he does a long cast with a short cast randomly happening just before(so you counter the short and get hit by long). Once I got used to the new stuff though he was just as easy as before, low hp and high chance to knock down.

Lunastra is also in theory real stupid but haven't fought her yet.
As someone who still thinks Tempered Teostra is STILL a pushover, Lunastra is hell on earth.

Estarossa

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Naw, I would definitely put MR Kushala at the top of the list, because Behemoth can't FLY. Ms Kushala is in air 80% of the time.

Richietto

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
North Carolina
Monsters that fill the area with hazards are default the worst. I like the monster to be the challenge, not the environment. Kushala can eat shit. Also monsters who never stop moving are shit as well. Lunastra is not fun, even if you have the proper setup. I hear Rajang never stops moving either so yipeeeee /s

Bessy67

Oct 29, 2017
It's really disappointing to me too that breaking parts does very little to change attack patterns. Break the wings of a flying monster and it'll still fly all the time. Break the head and it'll still target you with the same accuracy. Cut the tail and it'll still tail swipe (hell, Velkhana grows it back with ice). It's stupid. Breaking the arms is really the only thing that seems worth it.