• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

.exe

Oct 25, 2017
mustafar-ani.gif

285 hours and not a single handicraft or focus decoration sighted. Kill me.

silva1991

Oct 26, 2017
Why the hell did they make Kushala so damn awful? Even with the Kushala set bonus and wind resist 5 I still get tossed around like a ragdoll from all the damn tornadoes.

She's still better than Kushala

Seconding kushala as the worst fight in the game. Luna is cake with fireproof mantle

And that's why I'm terrified at the idea of getting Rusted Kushala as an additional monster. One shitty Kushala is enough.

DrArchon

Oct 25, 2017
It's really disappointing to me too that breaking parts does very little to change attack patterns. Break the wings of a flying monster and it'll still fly all the time. Break the head and it'll still target you with the same accuracy. Cut the tail and it'll still tail swipe (hell, Velkhana grows it back with ice). It's stupid. Breaking the arms is really the only thing that seems worth it.
Yeah, outside of Barioth breaks don't seem to matter too much. Raths have a bit of trouble flying when you break the wings, and stuff like Tigrex gives you free knockdowns on breaks, but so many of them just don't seem to matter too much. It's a real shame.

And then you have stuff like Lavasioth where the hitzones get worse once you break the parts. Because that makes sense.

The worst part about Kushala is that it's always been awful to fight. Like, this wasn't even something that World did specifically, since Kushala sucks on a fundamental level all the way back to when it was introduced. How does a monster with such a good design and such a great theme spent over a decade in the gutter like that?

Bessy67

Oct 29, 2017
And that's why I'm terrified at the idea of getting Rusted Kushala as an additional monster. One shitty Kushala is enough.
Yeah, i really hope they don't waste a new monster opportunity for a kushala subspecies. Unless the subspecies has completely different mechanics where it stays on the ground and doesn't suck.

Detective Pidgey

Alt Account
Banned
Jun 4, 2019
Holy crap, we're doing a much better job with Kulve now. Thanks to my Switch axe that does dragon damage, us using the boulders and cannons correctly and clutching onto him and hitting the head and front legs.

But once he arrives at the open area he started digging and had gold back on his skin again. Don't tell me he's replenished, is he? At the start of the fight it said 50 minutes, but it is no way 50 minutes until he escapes. Does this apply once our pursuit level is at max? Otherwise we'll have not time enough to repel him.

Yeah, i really hope they don't waste a new monster opportunity for a kushala subspecies. Unless the subspecies has completely different mechanics where it stays on the ground and doesn't suck.
In the past, Rusted has stuck to the ground a bit more often, but the big thing is that it doesn't really do as much with cyclones. However, if they keep true to its previous appearances, brace for far more charges and a tougher hide.

Professor Beef

Official ResetEra™ Chao Puncher
Oct 25, 2017
The Digital World
there would have to be a substantial reward for me to even consider fighting another kushala daora

like i get ALL armor as layered armor, or i get free armor upgrades for life, or i can buy tempered GL mats for 100 gold a pop

anything less wouldn't even be worth entertaining

roflwaffles

Oct 30, 2017
Kushala is a trash fight but Sticky LBG makes her a joke. I would never fight her with anything else. GS flinch lock is too much of a pain to set up.

I do best against Lunastra if I'm running Ice Charge Blade or Ice Bow and it's not too insufferable.

Bessy67

Oct 29, 2017
Holy crap, we're doing a much better job with Kulve now. Thanks to my Switch axe that does dragon damage, us using the boulders and cannons correctly and clutching onto him and hitting the head and front legs.

But once he arrives at the open area he started digging and had gold back on his skin again. Don't tell me he's replenished, is he? At the start of the fight it said 50 minutes, but it is no way 50 minutes until he escapes. Does this apply once our pursuit level is at max? Otherwise we'll have not time enough to repel him.
As the pursuit level rises the time it takes to break the gold and advance the quest gets shorter. If you have a full lobby that knows what they're doing you can finish it on the 2nd run but it can easily take 3-4 runs to finish.

silva1991

Oct 26, 2017
there would have to be a substantial reward for me to even consider fighting another kushala daora

like i get ALL armor as layered armor, or i get free armor upgrades for life, or i can buy tempered GL mats for 100 gold a pop

anything less wouldn't even be worth entertaining

Yeah. I keep deleting every Kushala investigation unless it has 5 boxes+2 or more faints.

Like hell I'm gonna waste my time with it otherwise :P

jromz03

Oct 28, 2017
I only got handicraft-only gems (got 3) during the Safi jiva event, thanks to the silver melding ticket.

I got heaps of focus 4-slot gems during the Safi event as well, thanks to the gold melding ticket.

Scything

Oct 25, 2017
Breaking tails on the Raths at least stops them poisoning you, which is not how it worked in the older games. Breaking Diablos' horns used to hurt his charge damage, not sure if it still does.

DrArchon

Oct 25, 2017
Strange to say but I feel like Savage Jho is by far the easiest and fastest T3 Tempered to farm now.
Savage Jho can fuck you up fast, but yeah I kinda agree. With Lance I can just poke at his chest, get the clutch claw stagger to wound, get him to do his big charge that gives you a free knockdown if you hit him out of it, repeat. It's not hard to lock him out the fight.

wbloop

Oct 26, 2017
Germany
Just finished the main story run of Iceborne with two mates. That credits theme... damn. I almost cried, it was that beautiful.

Now onto everything else. The Guiding Lands look very promising.

benj

Oct 27, 2017
phew, finally got home and picked this up. very fun so far

have analysis paralysis on crafting and breaking down my endgame sets, unfortunately. i know that getting 4-slots on stuff would be killer, but breaking into my CB set and giving up any focus, cap boost, guard, etc., hurts too much

might just switch to a weapon that depends so much on having a precise combination of stuff

savage axe mode is real fun, though. I've only messed with other weapons in training mode, interested to see how much they've actually changed

Euler007

Jan 10, 2018
Kushala is a trash fight but Sticky LBG makes her a joke. I would never fight her with anything else. GS flinch lock is too much of a pain to set up.

I do best against Lunastra if I'm running Ice Charge Blade or Ice Bow and it's not too insufferable.

I concur. I had heard so much complaining about her that I was very wary when I saw her in the GL. I figured I'd try her and take a few faints but it was another massacre, just knockouts after knockouts in between falling out of flight from breaks. Still waiting to see Lunastra, wondering if she'll bring it.

-Tetsuo-

Unlimited Capacity
Oct 26, 2017
So whatever the patch did ruined my ability to play the game at all, from the downloaded save. Now the game just crashes on startup. Same with my friend. What a disaster.

CountAntonio

Oct 25, 2017
PC Patch
Patch Release Notification
Fix for save data conversion issue and improvement on CPU utilization

[Summary of the bug fix]
- The patch fixes an issue where the save data would not properly convert to the new file format if the player save data and the game hasn't been updated post Kulve Taroth Update launch on October 30, 2018 (UTC 23:00).

*For those with save data timestamped before October 30, 2018 (UTC 23:00), any customization done to the key configuration will be reset to its default value after applying the new patch.

**The November 22, 2018 (UTC 0:00) Title Update added a customizable keyboard setup. If you convert from a save data that is timestamped before this November Title Update, the following error message will be displayed.

Failed to load keyboard setting
presets. Data is corrupt.

This is non-issue and can be safely ignored since the user-generated custom configuration data did not exist in the pre-patch save data

- The patch should improve (lower) CPU utilization during active gameplay. Please note the level of improvement may vary and is dependent on individual user's PC configuration and hardware component.

Please note the patch will update MONSTER HUNTER WORLD: ICEBORNE to Ver.10.12.01.

Our sincere apologies for any inconvenience this issue may have caused.

Important:
Matchmaking in Monster Hunter World: Iceborne requires players to have updated to the same version. Keep in mind that you can only match with other players who have the same update. You can verify the version number in the bottom-right corner of the title screen.

roflwaffles

Oct 30, 2017
Lance used to be my go-to for normal Jho in the base game, but Savage Jho leaves so many big openings that Dual Blades and Great Swords just obliterate him. Getting 1700+ damage TCSes feels so good.

DeaDPooL_jlp

Banned
Oct 31, 2017
Me and my wife just purchased MH:W & IB and were super excited to jump in tonight but man its just...odd? We both have the exact same rig, 2070 Super with a i7-9700k and this game seemingly runs the gpu maxed out with absolutely nothing going on. I am just sitting in a hut talking to a guy and my gpu is running at 160f and at 99% utilization. I looked to reddit for some answers and apparently a lot of people are having the same issues. Also graphics no matter the settings (max for me with texture pack) everything looks blurry and out of focus. Really disappointed cause we were super excited to jump in but promptly closed it out to see if they will fix these issues.

VictoryLap77

Oct 25, 2017
Hi everyone. Wanted to pop in and say hey. I dabbled a bit with mhw at launch on ps4 but recently started trying to play more seriously on PC. I'm torwards what I believe is the end of the main MHW story and looking forward to the iceborne stuff. I cheated by using the defender weapons/armor sets. So far I like using the charge blade most.

I'm wondering if there is a discord server I could join somewhere or is the bulk of the conversation taking place in this thread? I'm looking for people to play with that are pretty new to the series like me or dont mind taking a newbie under their wing.

KarmaCow

Oct 25, 2017
Sorry for how vague this question is but while deciding to pick up this up on PC, I read something about improving PC performance through something dumb like exiting and re-entering fullscreen. Does anyone know what that is about or if it's still relevant?

Slick Butter

Oct 25, 2017
Me and my wife just purchased MH:W & IB and were super excited to jump in tonight but man its just...odd? We both have the exact same rig, 2070 Super with a i7-9700k and this game seemingly runs the gpu maxed out with absolutely nothing going on. I am just sitting in a hut talking to a guy and my gpu is running at 160f and at 99% utilization. I looked to reddit for some answers and apparently a lot of people are having the same issues. Also graphics no matter the settings (max for me with texture pack) everything looks blurry and out of focus. Really disappointed cause we were super excited to jump in but promptly closed it out to see if they will fix these issues.
The anti-aliasing solutions are quite blurry. Try disabling them. Also see how you like the look with Ambient Occlusion and Contact Shadows disabled, they add a lot of visual noise I feel. Check out how you like the look of the game with Volumetrics disabled as well, I think it looks better with them disabled (outside of one area in the game where there is some fog forced, so it will look bad there if they are disabled).

For me, outside of the parts of the area mentioned with forced fog, the image is much clearer and cleaner with all these things disabled, and I think AO and/or contact shadows may be broken at the moment.

The only thing I think you will ever be able to do about the temps and utilization is limit your framerate. It's been like this since launch

DeaDPooL_jlp

Banned
Oct 31, 2017
The anti-aliasing solutions are quite blurry. Try disabling them. Also see how you like the look with Ambient Occlusion and Contact Shadows disabled, they add a lot of visual noise I feel. Check out how you like the look of the game with Volumetrics disabled as well, I think it looks better with them disabled (outside of one area in the game where there is some fog forced, so it will look bad there if they are disabled).

For me, outside of the parts of the area mentioned with forced fog, the image is much clearer and cleaner with all these things disabled, and I think AO and/or contact shadows may be broken at the moment.

The only thing I think you will ever be able to do about the temps and utilization is limit your framerate. It's been like this since launch

Real bummer since I have a good PC and was looking forward to an upgraded PC experience with this game but it's been terrible so far. The graphics issues really killed my initial impression and then to see it messing with my GPU really killed it.

Xeteh

Oct 27, 2017
So Hammer was pretty fun in MHW but the new moves in Iceborne seem really strong. Haven't messed with it much, mostly just doing older stuff while watching streams but its a blast.

Sorry for how vague this question is but while deciding to pick up this up on PC, I read something about improving PC performance through something dumb like exiting and re-entering fullscreen. Does anyone know what that is about or if it's still relevant?

Apparently the anti-cheat is bogging CPU usage and if you go to the title screen, Alt+Enter and then click on the X to close it but then say No to the "Exit without saving" prompt it fools the anti-cheat in to closing. Not entirely sure how true that is but they haven't patched anything yet so if it does work then it should still be a thing. I've been doing it just in case.

Slick Butter

Oct 25, 2017
Real bummer since I have a good PC and was looking forward to an upgraded PC experience with this game but it's been terrible so far. The graphics issues really killed my initial impression and then to see it messing with my GPU really killed it.
As long as it's not overheating, it should be fine. You can keep all the other settings maxed, those are just the ones I feel like might be making the image a lot less clear for you. Hopefully the ambient occlusion does get patched, though I might keep it off even if it does.

"D."

Oct 30, 2017
How do you get these damn monsters to drop their mantle? I know its a grind to merely get them to drop but what exactly IS "de wae" officially?

Keep seeing conflicting stuff like "break this but dont capture them, kill them" or "capture them but break this first" type shit

Sky87

Oct 27, 2017
It's not messing with your GPU, those temps and usage are normal. The game is just naturally blurry and has never been a graphical showcase.

You can try disabling AA or force sharpening using something like ReShade.

.exe

Oct 25, 2017
Is there any way to disable the popup message "The skill Maximum Might has activated"? It happens constantly. I don't remember it being a thing earlier, but it's been a while since I played. I checked the HUD options, but it doesn't seem to be in there.

Aria

Nov 21, 2019
Is there any way to disable the popup message "The skill Maximum Might has activated"? It happens constantly. I don't remember it being a thing earlier, but it's been a while since I played. I checked the HUD options, but it doesn't seem to be in there.

I have that skill and Offensive guard. I don't give a shit if it's active. Just stick a little icon above the health bar ffs

p3n

Oct 28, 2017

i7-9700k is a bit of a black sheep in the i7 family but you should be able to run the game at max settings with barely 60% GPU usage in 1080p. Make sure you lock your FPS to 60 in the menu and disable VSYNC. Also disable Anti-Aliasing and motion blur in the advanced options (use only FXAA, never TAA if you want any AA without ReShade).

If you run the game at 4K you'll have to tone down a lot of settings as your setup isn't nearly capable at running this game at 4K max settings. Start with enabling DLSS as it works really great in 4K.

For 1440p you should not use FidelityFX or DLSS as it makes the game noticably blurry. Just tinker with the advanced settings a bit to see what affects your FPS the most (volumetrics on low seems like a good starting point).

Aria

Nov 21, 2019
How do you get these damn monsters to drop their mantle? I know its a grind to merely get them to drop but what exactly IS "de wae" officially?

Keep seeing conflicting stuff like "break this but dont capture them, kill them" or "capture them but break this first" type shit

What I've found helpful to make them drop is invite your friends to help farm them quicker and have them all tell you how they got the drop repeatedly and you didn't.

Trickster

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
What would be the best way to find tempered thread level 2 monsters if I deleted all my non master rank investigations? Trying to unlock the evasion mantle

Joshbob1985

Jan 12, 2018
phew, finally got home and picked this up. very fun so far

have analysis paralysis on crafting and breaking down my endgame sets, unfortunately. i know that getting 4-slots on stuff would be killer, but breaking into my CB set and giving up any focus, cap boost, guard, etc., hurts too much

might just switch to a weapon that depends so much on having a precise combination of stuff

savage axe mode is real fun, though. I've only messed with other weapons in training mode, interested to see how much they've actually changed

I made a charge blade set out of the 1* quests in Iceborne. Got Focus and Capacity Boost, a couple of points in Guard and Attack, Artillery III from a charm, plus a load of Critical Eye from Decos. I think it's Barroth Helm, Jagras chest, Kestodon gloves, metal leggings, and Jura boots.

DrROBschiz

Oct 25, 2017

Hit up the PC performance thread! Lots of great info in there to help PC players get things setup

Even if you break the necessary parts its still a rare drop. The absolute BEST way to snag mantles is to run investigations with as many silver and gold bonus rewards as possible

Last edited:

Sky87

Oct 27, 2017

Detective Pidgey

Alt Account
Banned
Jun 4, 2019
I need several legiana tail webbing and I'm using the switch axe. The notes doesn't really say the frequency rate of that material. I guess I just accept SOS for investigations or expeditions and hope to get the webbing? And of course mash awya in that tail.

Euler007

Jan 10, 2018

Don't run Maximum might in any of your builds, it's been nerfed to death. Run peak performance instead and don't get hit, no popups.