• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

udivision

Oct 25, 2017
Unless you're a speedrunner, you can use whatever you like.
Depends very much on the weapon type and build you're using
In most cases yes. Bow, Dual Blades, Charge Blade, and arguably Lance and Hunting Horn to a lesser degree still do elemental well. No idea on Insect Glaive since I don't play it. Elemental is okay on Switch Axe but generally not worth it since it takes so much skill investment to make it work.

Elemental still doesn't work well on GS, Hammer, and LS.
Hmm I've been doing elemental LS/Hammer since like Tri. I guess it's time to switch. I should've looked into this stuff...

DrArchon

Oct 25, 2017
that's interesting—I've only looked into charge blade and lance, but re: those two weapons I have very consistently heard that elemental variants are competitive with raw variants, even outperforming them in a lot of hunts/situations. a lot of speedruns with those two weapons are done with elemental weapons, even some WRs—I wouldn't be surprised if that were the case for other weapons, too

even if it wasn't, though, I don't really care if I'm not running the best possible build, I just want to make sure I'm not just throwing slots in the trash like I would be running free elem in the base game
Element matching is definitely the meta for Lance and Elemental CBs are very viable, but the catch is that this is pretty much just the case on console right now. It's all because of the strength of Safi weapons and armor that they get to do this.

Elemental Lance is technically better even in the launch version, but the difference isn't so great that you can't get good results with just a really strong raw Lance like Ruiner's.

roflwaffles

Oct 30, 2017
Hmm I've been doing elemental LS/Hammer since like Tri. I guess it's time to switch. I should've looked into this stuff...
LS doesn't work that well because most of your damage in a hunt comes from Helm Breaker and Iai Slash, and their elemental damage modifier is really low - so raw will always be more important for damage. The ones that are good are good mainly bc they have good raw and the side of elemental is a bonus.

IIRC all the elemental hammers that are craftable have much lower raw than Shara/Acidic Glav aside from Ruiner, which still works well. Once Safi hits, everything has the same raw so technically you can just choose whichever elemental hammer you want and do comparable damage as long as you aren't putting elemental damage jewels in over crit/raw boosting jewels.

udivision

Oct 25, 2017
LS doesn't work that well because most of your damage in a hunt comes from Helm Breaker and Iai Slash, and their elemental damage modifier is really low - so raw will always be more important for damage. The ones that are good are good mainly bc they have good raw and the side of elemental is a bonus.

IIRC all the elemental hammers that are craftable have much lower raw than Shara/Acidic Glav aside from Ruiner, which still works well. Once Safi hits, everything has the same raw so technically you can just choose whichever elemental hammer you want and do comparable damage as long as you aren't putting elemental damage jewels in over crit/raw boosting jewels.
Thanks for the info!

benj

Oct 27, 2017
Element matching is definitely the meta for Lance and Elemental CBs are very viable, but the catch is that this is pretty much just the case on console right now. It's all because of the strength of Safi weapons and armor that they get to do this.

Elemental Lance is technically better even in the launch version, but the difference isn't so great that you can't get good results with just a really strong raw Lance like Ruiner's.
that's interesting, thanks for the info

I'm not far enough in the story to do any of this, but if I wanted to slap a good-enough elemenal Savage Axe build, what would the core offensive skills be? Crit Element > Element Attack > Crit Eye/Crit Boost/WEX / Agitator?

Cels

Oct 26, 2017
twice now i've had these weird semi-freezes since iceborne launch on pc. i checked msi afterburner gpu usage and for some reason it drops to 0. cpu usage holds steady. pretty sure the game is doing something weird

WqBaAPE.jpg

roflwaffles

Oct 30, 2017

I'm not far enough in the story to do any of this, but if I wanted to slap a good-enough elemenal Savage Axe build, what would the core offensive skills be? Crit Element > Element Attack > Crit Eye/Crit Boost/WEX / Agitator?
Pretty much, but I personally really dislike the Crit Element/True Crit Element builds for CB since I hate anything that needs to run Protective Polish. It's worse for CB than DBs too since CB wants guard/capacity boost/focus so fitting everything into it is super hard. I would just run Damascus Chest + 4pc Namielle for a good enough ele CB set that can fire off 200+ per phial SAEDs and do Savage Axe at the same time.

Richietto

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
North Carolina
Not sure how I feel about Namielle. Cool monster but once it gets enough water on the field it gets really frustrating and its water jet attacks are super hard for me to dodge. I did get it trapped up in the narrow path near the camp in the Coral Highlands and it seems like all you have to do is stay on top of it because I was dominating it then. Out in the open though??? Nah fuck that monster.

Also Savage Jho Palico armor is incredible.

DrArchon

Oct 25, 2017

Considering how awful the Velkana armor pieces are and how necessary Master's Touch is for Savage Axe, I'd say skip Crit Element.

Grexeno

Sorry for your ineptitude
Oct 25, 2017
My official conclusion after hours of study is that the Clutch Claw is a stupid piece of shit that doesn't fucking work. Half the time I press the right stick and it either locks on to the monster or does nothing. Using it is a good way to get yourself killed.

Geist 6one7

Oct 29, 2017
MASS

You only really need the Shattercrusher (blast) from Safi. I think 1 blast proc will out damage any element over the course of most hunts. Plus you'll probably be using some Teo armor with hammer which has Blast +2 on the waist.

roflwaffles

Oct 30, 2017
You only really need the Shattercrusher (blast) from Safi. I think 1 blast proc will out damage any element over the course of most hunts. Plus you'll probably be using some Teo armor with hammer which has Blast +2 on the waist.
I agree, but if he does wanna run an elemental hammer from Safi for some reason it's an option since the damage bonus from blast procs isn't super massive unless the monster is weak to blast. The raw on Safi is the seller, the status/element is just a nice bonus for GS/SA/LS/Hammer. I still run the blast variant on all of these since I'm a meta slave aside from using the sleep GS.

Akronis

Prophet of Regret - Lizard Daddy
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
my game drops from ~90ish fps to 0 for about two seconds. i wouldn't characterize it at a stutter because it feels like something more than that. nothing noticeable in the cpu graph.

Are you using DX12? I've noticed this at random moments as well, although sometimes it will just outright crash.

Oct 25, 2017
My official conclusion after hours of study is that the Clutch Claw is a stupid piece of shit that doesn't fucking work. Half the time I press the right stick and it either locks on to the monster or does nothing. Using it is a good way to get yourself killed.
Bruh lmao. I have no idea what you're talking about. It behaves completely predictably. You're fucking up

Oct 25, 2017

i hated and barely used clultch claw when i was dual bladin it up like a dummy

now that i've swapped over to gunlance full time, clutch claw is ace and i use it a LOT

Cels

Oct 26, 2017
clutch claw is fucking amazing. the only problem i have (and maybe it's just a me problem) is that for some monsters it's tough to see when they're enraged and you can't flinch shot them

Oh not what I have then. I get an extremely brief mircostutter every 10-15 seconds. It maybe lasts a tenth of a second.
aside from these two mini-freezes(which i think have happened like twice in 30ish hours of play) performance has been good for me. i have a new cpu though and i know that the iceborne patch really fucked with cpu usage and that the small patch right after didn't help for many

Friskyrum

Jun 25, 2019
My official conclusion after hours of study is that the Clutch Claw is a stupid piece of shit that doesn't fucking work.
Yup it's trash, half the time you don't even go where you want to on the monster when you use it. Haha you clutched the head? Hello tail! Haha you clutched the tail? Hello wing! My favorite is clutching the tail and going all the way to the head.

I remember doing Seething last night, and clutching the head took me to random parts of the body like 50 million times. Yeah, so "predictable".

Dalik

Nov 1, 2017
clutch claw is fucking amazing. the only problem i have (and maybe it's just a me problem) is that for some monsters it's tough to see when they're enraged and you can't flinch shot them

aside from these two mini-freezes(which i think have happened like twice in 30ish hours of play) performance has been good for me. i have a new cpu though and i know that the iceborne patch really fucked with cpu usage and that the small patch right after didn't help for many
Just watch the eye thingy on the monster icon minimap, if its red its enraged

Cels

Oct 26, 2017
Just watch the eye thingy on the monster icon minimap, if its red its enraged

wow, i'll have to look for that next time.

do you mean the ones in a row next to the minimap with the heartbeat pulse thing or on the minimap itself (like with the crying monster and the skull)

-edit nevermind, i think i figured it out, it's that U-looking icon on the minimap under the monster.

Dalik

Nov 1, 2017

do you mean the ones in a row next to the minimap with the heartbeat pulse thing or on the minimap itself (like with the crying monster and the skull)

-edit nevermind, i think i figured it out, it's that U-looking icon on the minimap under the monster.
Yeah that, also that one you mentioned is a drooling monster head and it means the monster is weak and starts to attack/move slower and will try to search for food to heal.

Xeteh

Oct 27, 2017

Yeah, its the oddest shaped "eyeball". Its white if the monster sees you, yellow if its engaged and red if its enraged.

>gets to the part where Capcom thinks folks love going around and collecting tracks again
>sees that there's an unknown monster in the Ancient Forest
"Oh, lets go see who it is and-"
>find a Chipped Fang
source.gif

Yeah, Savage Jho is fun again.

Full Effluvial resistance doesn't utterly counter Blackveil, but man, does that make that fight so much more manageable.

DrArchon

Oct 25, 2017
Finally got both crowns for Brute Tigrex. Still a hell of a fight after 40 of them. Feels better than normal Tigrex for CB, but normal Tigrex feels better with Lance so it balances out for me.

13 more crowns to go. Too bad the game is super stingy with investigations for some of the weaker monsters like Coral Pukei and Nightshade Paolumu if you aren't going out of your way to get them.

Premium Ghoul

Oct 27, 2017
Australia
I hopped into some multiplayer (trying my best to do everything solo first) because I didn't feel like putting up with Rathalos' bullshit, and it was another Gunlance player.

When we both got the Wyrmstake Blast on its head and were just going nuts with the shelling... it was a thing of beauty.

Professor Beef

Official ResetEra™ Chao Puncher
Oct 25, 2017
The Digital World
people who hate the clutch claw...are you manually targeting the area you want to climb on, or are you trying to use auto-target and wishing for the best? because if it's the latter, then megalol

roflwaffles

Oct 30, 2017
I wonder how these new Arch Tempered monsters are gonna shake up the current melee raw meta. Right now you can fit pretty much every relevant offensive skill alongside Health Boost 3 and other QOL skills + Master's Touch, it'd be hard for them to provide an incentive to use anything else unless these Arch Tempereds hit so hard that the new armors' defenses are necessary.

3pc Teo + Brute Tigrex/Damascus chest + Garuga legs are more busted than Drachen ever was, mainly because you get way more slot flexibility.

Acinixys

Banned
Nov 15, 2017
Found a mod on PC that changes the monster icon to show its elemental weakness

Its nice to see it up front instead of going through 28 menus

benj

Oct 27, 2017
Pretty much, but I personally really dislike the Crit Element/True Crit Element builds for CB since I hate anything that needs to run Protective Polish. It's worse for CB than DBs too since CB wants guard/capacity boost/focus so fitting everything into it is super hard. I would just run Damascus Chest + 4pc Namielle for a good enough ele CB set that can fire off 200+ per phial SAEDs and do Savage Axe at the same time.
that's interesting, thanks for the heads up. since reading stripedypaper's thing I've been playing with taking combos of cap boost, artillery, and focus off for crit ele stuff—I am having no trouble maintaining constant Savage Axe uptime, I feel like I spend enough time in sword mode that I don't need 3 Focus to get max charge off one rotation, and I am basically never ever using SAED because I am maintaining Savage Axe, so I don't need phial damage. it's been working more than well enough so far, and loosens up the build for ele skills a bit.

they're still useful skills for Savage Axe, I obviously haven't weighed them against Crit Element yet, but I'm not missing them too much for casual hunts, and I really like having the flexibility

roflwaffles

Oct 30, 2017
that's interesting, thanks for the heads up. since reading stripedypaper's thing I've been playing with taking combos of cap boost, artillery, and focus off for crit ele stuff—I am having no trouble maintaining constant Savage Axe uptime, I feel like I spend enough time in sword mode that I don't need 3 Focus to get max charge off one rotation, and I am basically never ever using SAED because I am maintaining Savage Axe, so I don't need phial damage. it's been working more than well enough so far, and loosens up the build for ele skills a bit.

they're still useful skills for Savage Axe, I obviously haven't weighed them against Crit Element yet, but I'm not missing them too much for casual hunts, and I really like having the flexibility

If you're set on running a straight Savage Axe build and aren't far enough into GL to get True Crit Element, I would probably run something like this:

I would heavily recommend against not running Capacity Boost in any CB build.

Last edited:

Friskyrum

Jun 25, 2019
people who hate the clutch claw...are you manually targeting the area you want to climb on, or are you trying to use auto-target and wishing for the best? because if it's the latter, then megalol
Manual, doesn't matter if the monster is stunned, asleep, staggered or anything, half the time the clutch claw picks where it wants to go no matter where you target. It's garbage.

Also, if someone wants to say I'm doing something wrong or playing wrong, please explain to me why I clutch to a tail or a head, it goes to the opposite part of the body for no reason, even if the boss is not moving.

Oct 25, 2017
Manual, doesn't matter if the monster is stunned, asleep, staggered or anything, half the time the clutch claw picks where it wants to go no matter where you target. It's garbage.

Also, if someone wants to say I'm doing something wrong or playing wrong, please explain to me why I clutch to a tail or a head, it goes to the opposite part of the body for no reason, even if the boss is not moving.

record some vids lets see it

Pyros Eien

Oct 31, 2017

It''s definitely not half the time, but it basically uses a hit detection on the projectile so if say a wing gets in a the way it'll grab that, and cause it's fired from the side, it also will catch stuff that's not straight in your visor. That said it still mostly target the right spot, most of the time I wanna say. It's just not pinpoint accuracy.

There's a bunch of stuff that's annoying with the claw, the targetting yeah but a bunch more. The flinch shot wall detection is garbage in several areas, leading to the monster "sliding" against the wall instead of getting hit. The coral guiding lands entrance area is especially bad for that, the waterfall area is basically a big fake wall and you never get a flinch shot if you aim at that.

Another thing is how clunky using the claw on some weapons, IG and Lance specifically not sure about others. The whole "hold the button then press R3, but don't press it too early because it does nothing" is really fucking annoying, especially since you generally want to claw quickly, but if you go too fast and then press circle to launch the claw on Lance you'll instead start a counter claw, which basically wastes a full second before you can try again, so your chance to claw is long gone after that. It wouldn't be so bad if it buffered the R3 input, but it doesn't, you have to wait depending on the animation that was playing when you pressed L2 to finish before you can R3 to get the claw out. It's frustrating as hell and there should be a setting to turn that shit off, just let me claw directly and press R3 to enter the special new block slinger stance instead. Hell just remove the whole thing, I don't need to get another shittier block with L2 to begin with. The idea is to open slinger block stance stuff but they could do that with block > L2 instead.

Then you have the anti out of bounds nonsense. It's especially horrible in the lava area in elder recess, grab anything, monster walks over a lava area, you get dismounted. Use the claw to turn the monster for flinch shot, over the lava, dismount. It procs that crap all the time if you clutch a monster flying too high too, the "ceilling" in the area is so low that getting on top of Kushala when he's flying high above will dismount you. Spend 4-5 tries trying to even land a flinch shot on Kushala with rocksteady because you keep dismounting(and dismounting into tornados too, great stuff).

They should also make wounds last longer when solo. It's annoying having to use the claw so often especially since landing it mid fight is a huge gamble. They have the special exhaust animation thing for clutch claw rebuff, but it's unreliable and it absolutely doesn't help if you're playing a light weapon since you'd need more than one hit anyway. Then again just remove that whole thing, shit's dumb, make everyone wound in one hit and make slinger ammo drop for everyone but randomly(or keep the heavy/light split for that specifically whatever).

.exe

Oct 25, 2017
Equipping pieces of the Teo and Damascus armor like slotting in the infinity stones. These fuckers don't know what's about to come, ehehehehe >:D

Estarossa

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Personally the CC has worked 95% for me. I've had more problems clutching on to the same body part as my team mates lol

Friskyrum

Jun 25, 2019
This is exactly the type of trash I'm talking about.

But I'm not going to waste my time in here when people will endlessly defend shitty design like this and I'm sure as not going to waste my time making videos to make people feel validated that accuse me of doing something wrong. There's things I like/enjoy about the CC, but this is not one of them and I can't see how people will defend this lol.

Last edited:

DrROBschiz

Oct 25, 2017
Ah so it must be my fault then when I go flying to a completely different part of the body instead of where I targeted, alright. Gotcha.

Uh yeah its definitely a challenge sometimes

Unfortunately since some monsters bodies dont let you clutch to every single individual spot things can get wonky sometimes

Some general tips to improve accuracy.

- Clutch with weapon stowed. Its easier to reposition as your relative position to the monster and timing seem to matter and there is less lag. Use weapon draw clutchs to capitalize in the special drooling staggers

- Don't spam clutch. Take your time and use it on openings. Get familiar to how a monsters body is segmented into zones. You can see these zones clearly when you wound parts.

- Take advantage of weapon specific combos that go into clutch attacks

Good luck man. It Absolutely is wonky with targeting sometimes by nature since the game has to direct you to breakable parts on the body and not just where you aim and even then it can fuck up.

You are just gonna have to get used to it but at least in my case i know when to fire and where to position myself.

Raide

Banned
Oct 31, 2017
CC has been a bit hit and miss for me. I think I spam it too much and I cause myself too much damage picking the wrong time to claw. It is usually just as I land the last hit, the monsters charges or does another move that flings me off.

Does flinch free help at all with this? Some monsters are super easy, others just move around far too much and the game basically demands you use claw to beat monsters within the time limits.