• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Rutger

Oct 25, 2017
Yeah, with Alatreon it's more important not to get smacked rather than keeping tenderize up 100% of the time.

I don't like saying that the DPS check should be ignored tho, because you then need to no-cart Alatreon in 21-35 minutes (Felyne Safeguard/Insurance). But getting the first threshold is really easy if you really know the fight. I always get it 2, if not just 1 minute into fire/ice phase.

Yeah, I don't think people should intentionally skip the DPS check.

It's just not the guaranteed run killer the complaints make it sound like. I do think the first one is a good tell for how well one knows the fight, and it can be a nice reset point while learning it instead of failing the fight by time out repeatedly, but once someone is fairly confident in the fight I don't think they should give up if they miss one.

SoH

Oct 25, 2017
I've been slowly making my way through a low rank gear only run. Which I know people have done far more challenging things, but works well for doing quick single hunts on the steam deck. It is nice to have some gear options to choose from while still giving the hunts a lot of bite.

Will probably just make my way through high rank and wrap it there, though I have a couple ideas on how to push into master if I feel like it.

Nordicus

Oct 29, 2017
Finland
My fresh hammer-main save now finally stepped into Iceborne, and rushed the first few hunts to stop right in front of Barioth.

On my first playthrough I still tried to drag my World endgame Vaal/Kushala mixed set through Barioth, but it crushed the defensiveness of that set into dirt. Beat the fight on first try back then, but it was a messy affair.

This time I'll stop to look around for a nice Rarity 9 mixed set for that fight, going for a fish mix of Beotodus and Jyuratodus. It's nice that the smith is quick to reveal all progression-appropriate Master Rank armors even without fighting old World monsters' MR versions.

Don't need to fight an MR Anja to see that Anja Alpha+ set is a janky mix of fire and stamina themes. Rise made its skill selection way more cohesive

empo

Jan 27, 2018
do you need blunt dmg to break shara ishvaldas scalp? I know the barroth scalp worked like that in Rise
tried it in a 2 man group and we couldn't break it, even tried the event quest with more hp

Nordicus

Oct 29, 2017
Finland
do you need blunt dmg to break shara ishvaldas scalp? I know the barroth scalp worked like that in Rise
tried it in a 2 man group and we couldn't break it, even tried the event quest with more hp
Blunt is not needed, but it helps because Stuns will give you more opportunities to hit the head.

Shara's scalp just has obscene part HP to get the 2nd break, Partbreaker 3 is borderline mandatory and you still basically need to warp the entire fight to just clutch-claw and smack the head as melee.

Euler

Oct 27, 2017
typically I find it easier to break parts solo rather than in a group.

And yeah, blunt damage is not needed.

empo

Jan 27, 2018
ok thanks I'll keep it in mind if I need more tenderplates we just killed it a couple of times and hoped to get them from the quest rewards

yeah it really seems absurd how hard it is
but we also had trouble and the boss destroyed like 2/3 of the wallbang falling boulder things

Icarian

May 9, 2018
I can't get a Critical/Protection deco to drop and it isn't even a Rarity 12 one, got another Attack 4+.

I think it's genuinely the only decoration in the game that I have only a single copy of. Divine Blessing is such a good skill at level 5, it saved my butt many times.

Icarian

May 9, 2018
Finally out of decoration grinding.

It does seem like AT Velkhana is very unlikely to be doable online, tried joining several SOS but it's a cart festival, none of them get past a few minutes before people cart 4 times (I always go in with safeguard), I guess since it doesn't have a high MR requirement nor any roadblock, people join thinking it's regular Velkhana or something and get one-two shotted by most attacks. Might have to do it solo.

empo

Jan 27, 2018
trying to get my head around the guiding lands because this is where I gave up last time but damn it's just so overcomplicated
like the idea of a never ending hunting zone is good but it feels like I need to sit down and plan how to approach it or I'll just not get anywhere

.exe

Oct 25, 2017
trying to get my head around the guiding lands because this is where I gave up last time but damn it's just so overcomplicated
like the idea of a never ending hunting zone is good but it feels like I need to sit down and plan how to approach it or I'll just not get anywhere

It's been a long time since I played it, but it struck me as very similar to gathering expeditions where you have a set of monsters roaming, entering and leaving an area. With the right materials you can force specific monsters to appear, and if you don't pursue a monster you engaged in combat, they will leave pretty quickly.

empo

Jan 27, 2018
yeah I get the concept it's just the feeling that you need to minmax and look up what you actually need

also I have a friend that I could hypothetically split which zones to level but we would have to raise them by ourselves and then lock them when we play together?

empo

Jan 27, 2018
lmao tried raging brachy without blast resist. got stomped so hard

after fixing that I got it on the next try but it still felt very sketchy
2nd kill was way better I used traps for damage and restocked before the final phase

Grexeno

Sorry for your ineptitude
Oct 25, 2017
Cannot play this fucking video game because of stupid fucking piece of shit Bazelgeuse

Pantaghana

The Fallen
Oct 26, 2017
Croatia
I've been fighting Uragaan. At some point I knock it down and as it is thrashing around I'm at its back and notice an interaction prompt.
I think "...what?" and press B.
Suddenly my character pulls out a pickaxe and proceeds to mine it like an ore node.
A minute later I wallbang it and try again just to check if I'm going crazy.
I mine the back a second time.

I have over 1000 hours in this game, and this is my first time seeing this.

Icarian

May 9, 2018
I've been fighting Uragaan. At some point I knock it down and as it is thrashing around I'm at its back and notice an interaction prompt.
I think "...what?" and press B.
Suddenly my character pulls out a pickaxe and proceeds to mine it like an ore node.
A minute later I wallbang it and try again just to check if I'm going crazy.
I mine the back a second time.

I have over 1000 hours in this game, and this is my first time seeing this.

It's one of these little things that you might not run into for many hours, sometimes hundreds, but believe it or not it's not unique to World, I don't remember where it started but you have been able to mine Uragaan for 10+ years now, other monsters can also be mined if you KO/Sleep them, in Rise you can mine Basarios for example.

Euler

Oct 27, 2017
It's one of these little things that you might not run into for many hours, sometimes hundreds, but believe it or not it's not unique to World, I don't remember where it started but you have been able to mine Uragaan for 10+ years now, other monsters can also be mined if you KO/Sleep them, in Rise you can mine Basarios for example.
Yeah you've always been able to do it with Uragaan ever since he launched in Tri.

empo

Jan 27, 2018
I was getting annoyed of poogie blocking my item box and I just learned that you can press LT/RT to change the interact prompt, wtf

empo

Jan 27, 2018
MW7n5YY.png

so I'm getting into the grinding lands
what does the parenthesis mean here? can I lure narga/odo in coral and still get decent region progress?

BobbyRawlins

Oct 25, 2017
think ive hit the end of my replay and first play of iceborne. raging brachy is NOT fun and i dont even want to see what furious rajang looks like.

Nordicus

Oct 29, 2017
Finland
I forgot that Master Rank Black Diablos is something else. The way it can cancel from its dig attack into its supercharge is just mean
think ive hit the end of my replay and first play of iceborne. raging brachy is NOT fun and i dont even want to see what furious rajang looks like.
I'll say this: Raging Brachy is WAY harder and is more of a clutsterfuck than Furious Rajang is.

That said, Furious Rajang won't be too much fun if you loathe normal Rajang too. But it should be a more interesting fight, because even tho Furious hits harder, it also has way more openings because its moves are way more elaborate and have bigger recovery.

empo

Jan 27, 2018
Raging Brachy was miserable until I tried slotting in blast resistance
Just tenderize a leg and stay near under him, you won't have time for long combos but just poke him until you can wallbang/mount

Last edited:

Pantaghana

The Fallen
Oct 26, 2017
Croatia
I was under the impression elderseal makes AT Velkhana a bit more manageable, am I wrong in this?
Because I see a lot of Raging Brachy weapons whenever I try that quest.

empo

Jan 27, 2018
think I'm losing steam with this endgame, siege crap like safi'jiva is so boring
ok don't have to kill him next up alatreon tried it once blind but then reading up on him feels like studying for a MMO raid boss or something

also I could unlock the MR99 cap and start doing lvl 7 guiding lands but I've already waited like a week for my friend to catch up to be able to join my lvl 6

Last edited:

Grexeno

Sorry for your ineptitude
Oct 25, 2017
Add Xeno'jiva to the list of fights I forgot were fucking bullshit

do you like getting knocked over after you finally got back to it's feet

do you like the floor is lava

empo

Jan 27, 2018
not my favorite but I think xeno is fine
all of those large bosses have the problem where it never feels like they are getting close to dying from more flinches/topples/limping etc
ilke I'm always suprised at the killing blow and it feels a bit anticlimactic

I had 40000 fuel saved up and was waiting for a festival to begin and lmao wtf is this, the prints are nice at least I will probably not need to mantle hunt
yGQYdiU.jpeg

empo

Jan 27, 2018
started messing around with charge blade a bit. I've always tried it a bit in the training room but found it too complicated and the ingame help is so garbage at explaining it.
did the same anjanath hunt a bunch of times so I could get into the groove and oh no I might have a new contender for main weapon

Dis

Oct 27, 2017
Ok I just redownloaded the game, last time I played was around launch period on ps4 and I've forgotten everything about the game. It was my first MH as well so I'm basically starting again from scratch because I don't remember my character at all. Any tips for learning the ropes easier? should I go for a particular weapon early on to learn basics and then move up to other ones after? I expect to fail a lot, but each failure should hopefully help me keep going this time :)

Should also say I don't currently have icebourne, but I plan to grab it if I find I enjoy the base game enough :)

empo

Jan 27, 2018
some people recommend the weapons without a lot of gauges etc to keep track off but I would just try them all in the training room and then do a pretty easy hunt to see what you vibe with
ranged weapons can be annoying to start with before you have plenty of materials for ammo

empo

Jan 27, 2018
finally killed fatalis
big spectacle but actually didn't enjoy the fight that much. largely because it seemed impossible to play switch axe without ZSD spam
alatreon was more interesting except the elemental dmg check which unsurprisingly is horribly balanced for different weapons