• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Zetta

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Wow having the Zorah Alpha layered has made me so happy, feels like it was made for CB.

Toxi

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
Monster Hunter 'lore experts': "Xeno'jiiva is definitely an adult. I know because I read a fan translation of an art book."

Monster Hunter developers: *Add an actual adult Xeno'jiiva to the game*
So why Xenojiiva goes from a cool alien-like looking dragon to just some regular ass dragon? :(
My personal theory since I first beat World has been that Xeno is just assimilating the traits of the creatures it feeds on. In this case, that means Elder Dragons. So as it grows, it becomes more and more like a typical Elder Dragon. Hence why a deliberately "alien" creature still has the typical Elder Dragon build of four legs, two wings, a tail, a horned head, etc.

Saffi'Jiiva almost feels like a confirmation of that theory, since the final form is about as typical Elder Dragon as you can get. But it could also just be that it's a generic elder dragon with a fucking weird life cycle.

Last edited:

UnsungVagrant

Dec 11, 2017
I caught the tundra Moly so that's probably all of them. It's cool that they add more music for the music player but they really need to add the character creation theme in there.

KushalaDaora

Oct 27, 2017
So why Xenojiiva goes from a cool alien-like looking dragon to just some regular ass dragon? :(

Tbh the design is growing on me.

Something about having a generic Western dragon design in a very over-the-top world of MH is kinda refreshing. I do wish it kept some of the more alieny aspect of BoiJiiva (like the multiple eye).

Fatalis - SafiJiiva Turf War when.

Estarossa

Banned
Oct 25, 2017

When the heartbeat drops in at 5:00 with those synths you know some shit is about to drop. It's probably not even the full theme.

Sawyer

One Winged Slayer
Oct 26, 2017
Safi looks like the stereotypical red dragon but goddamn it if he isn't rocking it.

DrArchon

Oct 25, 2017
Safi follows the same design philosophy that Fatalis does.

That being, in a game where almost every monster is heavily influenced by any number of real living or extinct animals, Capcom threw in an actual honest to God bog-standard fantasy dragon. The simplicity of the appearance is what makes it stand out.

And that's kinda why I love it.

Deleted member 36578

Dec 21, 2017
I fucking love this game.
Styg Zinogre slams comboing into psycho crusher. Adult Xeno nuke timed with the music.
It's phenomenal.

IvorB

Oct 28, 2017
Hmmm... sounds like this is a good time for me to boot up the game again after a brief break.

ClearMetal

Oct 25, 2017
the Netherlands
Xeno'jiiva's alien appearance was both its strength and its weakness. Its alien appearance makes it look like it doesn't belong in the world of Monster Hunter. This was intentional and it worked great for its role as World's final boss. It came from nowhere, was hugely powerful and only an infant to boot. But now we have moved on from World to Iceborne and the novelty has worn off. I think it's great they took this opportunity to develop it in a much more traditional, grounded direction. This gives it a lasting place in this generation's legacy, and saves it from being forever seen as "that weird alien boss from World".

IvorB

Oct 28, 2017
Personally I think the last thing this game needed was another dragon. May as well call it Dragon Hunter: World at this point.

rahji

Oct 25, 2017
The new defender weapons are really good almost too good for low and high rank. When you play the story from the beginning there is hardly an alternative to the defender weapons and subsequent upgrades. I have beaten the story of the base game and even for me the defender weapons were a real hefty upgrade. The cost of these weapons is ridiculously low. Just one not very rare part of a story related monster. Together with the defender armors you just rush through low and high rank. I mean I get it. Capcom wants everybody to experience their new shiny things locked in iceborne.

silva1991

Oct 26, 2017
monsterhunterworld_icvkk2w.jpg

giphy.gif

Congrats! and I got my mind's eye few days ago after almost two weaks of grinding.

Thank you so much Lavasioth.

xclk07

Oct 27, 2017
Chicago
So from Dev Diary 4.5, I have an issue: if one is able to fully customize the weapons from the siege, doesn't that completely nullify the entire point of the Guiding Lands?

I guess the only thing left there will be obtaining Spiritvein Gems and the ores/bones? This seems to really alter the endgame in a negative way. Maybe I'm not understanding something though.

Sanox

Oct 25, 2017
So the actual hunt against Safi isn't available yet right? Not missing anything here

Stygian Zinogre is great

Last edited:

DrArchon

Oct 25, 2017
I can't believe they solved the biggest issue with Kulve: that awful feeling of looking at your rewards and saying "I don't play any of these weapons"

I hope the boosts you get from the Safi armor are good (it's all leaked online, look it up if you so choose). The skills are so-so but the set bonus sounds interesting for certain weapons. But again, it's all a numbers game.

Ultron

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Safi's big attack is cool looking oh my gosh! I love the whole tiny point of light -> big explosion thing.

Nov 7, 2017
Sweet all my weapons are obsolete now. thanks Mature version of Xeno Jiiva! at least i can use this awesome Stygian Longsword for a week

DrArchon

Oct 25, 2017
OK, so how are we expecting Set Bonus upgrades to work?

Obviously everyone's first though is "You'll get the full skill, like with Luna and Kjarr" but that just means that every single weapon will end up with Master's Touch (if melee) or True Razor Sharp/Spare Shot (if ranged or Gun Lance). The balance will end up being even more fucked than what we had with Drachen. And God forbid you can get Master's Touch and True Crit Element on a single weapon, even if the base element isn't that high (that's what elemental damage upgrades are for).

This sounds like a nightmare.

Deleted member 36578

Dec 21, 2017
I'm going to hold back judgement on the new siege weapons until we know exactly how they all work, but yeah, if you put enough effort into them they'll probably be the best weapons in the game. But honestly that's fine with me because what we're playing right now is the final end game of Monster Hunter World anyway. We'll get other new updates throughout 2020 but we're pretty much at the peak of the game and being able to make the most powerful load outs possible makes sense.

Euler

Oct 27, 2017
OK, so how are we expecting Set Bonus upgrades to work?

Obviously everyone's first though is "You'll get the full skill, like with Luna and Kjarr" but that just means that every single weapon will end up with Master's Touch (if melee) or True Razor Sharp/Spare Shot (if ranged or Gun Lance). The balance will end up being even more fucked than what we had with Drachen. And God forbid you can get Master's Touch and True Crit Element on a single weapon, even if the base element isn't that high (that's what elemental damage upgrades are for).

This sounds like a nightmare.
You can't get two set bonuses on the same weapon from what I hear. So you get TCE on the weapon and Master's touch by teostra armor if you want both.

DrArchon

Oct 25, 2017
You can't get two set bonuses on the same weapon from what I hear. So you get TCE on the weapon and Master's touch by teostra armor if you want both.
Double set bonus is broken enough even if you have to use armor for one of them. I'm guessing the GS meta is just going to be Master's Touch + Frost Craft now, which sounds properly stupid.

Looking over the weapons, the elemental numbers don't look too hot, so maybe DBs and Bow won't even end up using these, and we don't even know how it'll handle things like CB and SA phial types.

OP
OP
BDS

BDS

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Are we sure stuff like Master's Touch or TCE will even be available as set bonuses on these weapons?

Geist 6one7

Oct 29, 2017
MASS
If the siege weapons weren't top tier I'm sure we'd all be complaining about what's the point so I'm fine with it. That being said can anyone who watched the diary give any deets on the bowguns if any were shown?