• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Rubblatus

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Tempted to go back to PS4 for Iceborne. I've been exclusively PC since it came out.

Is that "January 2020" PC date something we expect to slip at all? I have no idea how I left my characters on PS4 as I never did Kulve, Behemoth, etc. on that account.
There's no reason to expect it to slip.

For what it's worth, my PS4 save file is in a pretty dire place. On the PC, I've cleared every AT monster short of Nergigante, have all the layered armor drops and a number of gamma armor sets, every gameplay related system/accessory/food item unlocked, the vast majority of the game's available jewels and I have a good number of KT weapons to toy with. On my PS4 file, I have like... the Nergigante beta set, a two slot garden that was cultivating herbs of all things, and my sad little Wyvern: Ignition. My mentality going in is that this is going to be the rough, brutal climb through Master Rank from what's basically a fresh HR clear.
The sort of grind where everything sucks in order to explore the new systems/weapon trees/fight mechanics and to plot out the most efficient/smoothest transition into PC's endgame come January.

Been playing the beta on Xbox and the new moves added to LS have guaranteed I'm never using another weapon again.

Great OT OP!
I keep wanting to give it more time since it's such a popular weapon archetype and Capcom did good by me in updating its moveset for Iceborne, but I also just recently discovered the joy of Hammer. More specifically, the joy of a neutral level 3 charge attack into clutch claw. God damn is that thing beefy.

Vilix

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Texas
I'm ready for this. Looking forward to hunting with all of you and the peeps on the MHW Discord. 🙂

Deleted member 11517

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
That's kinda what I'm doing. PS4 until the PC release. Load times aside, it didn't take me long to get used to the PS4 performance. I've heard Iceborne has better load times but I don't know by how much.
Same (kinda undecided yet) but I've never played on ps4 so I'd have to start from scratch.

Also I played the beta, the load times are a joke - it is what it is but I seriously thought a couple of times the ps4 died...

Luminaire

Oct 25, 2017
Same (kinda undecided yet) but I've never played on ps4 so I'd have to start from scratch.

Also I played the beta, the load times are a joke - it is what it is but I seriously thought a couple of times the ps4 died...

It's so much more painful coming off PC and going to console re: load times. What takes 5 seconds on PC takes 50 on PS4. It's kinda crazy! At least when loading into the quest I have a bit of time to prepare/eat/do whatever, but loading into the map is pretty much a good time to take a phone break.

Performance wise, you're looking at 30~45 on PS4 Pro if I remember right...

Bessy67

Oct 29, 2017
So for the Monster Hunter veterans out there, which of these returning monsters do you feel is the most difficult?

Bessy67

Oct 29, 2017
What makes Garuga tough? I kinda saw some stuff about him, like roaring and going directly into combos while you're still stunned. Is that the main thing, or is there something else? And do you feel like at least in past games it was still an enjoyable hunt?

Deleted member 11517

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Sorta kinda jealous of you console peeps, I gotta wait until January 2020 to play on PC. But y'all have fun.
Man, I shouldn't have played the beta now I'm kinda hooked and stuff and vanilla MHW feels kinda boring in comparison.

First I didn't like the new mechanics because they're kinda OP - but the thing is it's hard to pull off which makes it less OP and more fun than I thought...

But yeah I'm still kinda undecided especially because I'd have to start from scratch - which might not be so bad though because I now know how to tackle the story and early endgame stuff for sure.

MatrixMan.exe

Oct 25, 2017
So for the Monster Hunter veterans out there, which of these returning monsters do you feel is the most difficult?

I think Glavenus is going to fuck people up as the only other game it's been in is Generations, where you had Adept style which made its moves a cake walk to dodge. Without those mechanics and generous i-frames, anyone who hasn't faced it before or relied on Adept to fight it in those games will get moved to.

OP
OP
BDS

BDS

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I'm expecting Garuga hunt footage. He's the only returning monster to not get his own trailer so far.

Capcom said that the hunt will feature Zinogre who appears to be fought on a new map. In the trailer, he looks like he's in the Ancient Forest, but if you look closely it's an area we've never seen on that map. Yian Garuga also appears to be on that map in the brief footage we've seen.

Manu

Oct 27, 2017
Buenos Aires, Argentina
Capcom said that the hunt will feature Zinogre who appears to be fought on a new map. In the trailer, he looks like he's in the Ancient Forest, but if you look closely it's an area we've never seen on that map. Yian Garuga also appears to be on that map in the brief footage we've seen.
I guess they're revealing the Guiding Lands now that the felyne's out of the bag.

Dogenzaka

Alt Account
Banned
Apr 20, 2019
I definitely hope there's more unrevealed monsters other than the final boss, not because I think the amount we're getting is lackluster, but because having a few unknowns would be really exciting. Praying for Chameleos or Rajang.

Oct 26, 2017
Dunno if anyone knows, but are Master Rank armor sets and MR quests on the same level of difficulty as Gamma armor sets and AT quests?

Kinsei

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
What makes Garuga tough? I kinda saw some stuff about him, like roaring and going directly into combos while you're still stunned. Is that the main thing, or is there something else? And do you feel like at least in past games it was still an enjoyable hunt?
For starters there's the roar combos you mention (For example, it can roar while jumping and then immediately follow it up by flying towards you and doing a Rathian style poison tail flip), it can easily jump from one attack to the other, a regular tail whip will poison you, it can easily 180 and fuck up anyone behind it in an instant, and it's just all around incredibly fast.

Xion_Stellar

Oct 25, 2017
Garuga has always been very fast at attacking and the One Ear Yian Garuga turn things up to eleven. Considering that all it takes is a few behavior changes,speed increase and some small edits on to his face I wouldn't be surprised if One Ear Yian Garuga is actually in Iceborn

KushalaDaora

Oct 27, 2017
Dunno if anyone knows, but are Master Rank armor sets and MR quests on the same level of difficulty as Gamma armor sets and AT quests?

MR armor will outclass Gamma/Drachen in the long run, if only for DEF reason (and MR armor have level 4 Jewel slot).

The early to mid stuff should be easier as they are balanced around people who only beat Xeno in the story. I expect endgame to be harder or at least on par with AT though.

This is going to vary by play style as my list would be very different for these monsters.

Glavenus>Garuga>Brachydios>Tigrex>Nargacuga>Zinogre>Barioth.

I imagine Brachy will go down several rank for me due to blastblight "nerf" in World (inb4 they revert blastblight to how it work previously just for Brachy).

Last edited:
Oct 26, 2017
The early to mid stuff should be easier as they are balanced around people who only beat Xeno in the story. I expect endgame to be harder or at least on par with AT though.

This is what I'm hoping for. A ramp up to get me back in the groove. Really don't want to butt heads with AT level monsters while I shake the rust off.

Zacmortar

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
So how shitty is this gonna be for people who hated how difficult and troll-circlejerky* most of the post launch monsters in World were? It'd also be shit if this was designed expecting you to have extreme 500 hour grind gear. I put over 200 hours in and am end game but not like, the extreme bullshit that people still playing would have.

*Difficulty is fine, but monsters designed explicitly around how "LoL tHeYrE sO bRoKeN" or around mp like Behemoth suck ass.

Bessy67

Oct 29, 2017
So how shitty is this gonna be for people who hated how difficult and troll-circlejerky most of the post launch monsters in World were? It'd also be shit if this was designed expecting you to have extreme 500 hour grind gear. I put over 200 hours in and am end game but not like, the extreme bullshit that people still playing would have.
From playing the beta the monsters seem easier than tempered elders/deviljho that we got in the end game. I beat Banbaroo and Tigrex on my first try, and while I haven't beaten Velkana yet that's more due to the 15 minute time limit than the difficulty of the fight. I'd guess that the Iceborn endgame stuff will be just as hard or even harder than the base game endgame content though

OP
OP
BDS

BDS

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
So how shitty is this gonna be for people who hated how difficult and troll-circlejerky* most of the post launch monsters in World were? It'd also be shit if this was designed expecting you to have extreme 500 hour grind gear. I put over 200 hours in and am end game but not like, the extreme bullshit that people still playing would have.

*Difficulty is fine, but monsters designed explicitly around how "LoL tHeYrE sO bRoKeN" or around mp like Behemoth suck ass.

Different design team on this one (the original World team is presumably moving on to next-gen MH6) so they will likely take a different approach to balance and difficulty.

GazRB

Oct 25, 2017
Hype. Plan on really digging into the endgame in this one.

Between the eight other games I'll be playing in September...

Bessy67

Oct 29, 2017
Hype. Plan on really digging into the endgame in this one.

Between the eight other games I'll be playing in September...
Yeah, poor timing on this. I wish they had been able to release this 3 or 4 months ago when I had nothing to play instead of coming out now when it'll probably end up on the back burner behind Borderlands. Post launch support on the game has seemed kinda poor/slow especially considering how big of a success the game was