• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Bessy67

Oct 29, 2017
Anyone else having issues with dung pods working differently lately? Sometimes now when I fire one at the monster I want to leave it just ends up making both leave and go to the exact same spot
Iceborne is kicking my ass so far, i've had to SOS flare for nearly every fight. I'm not great at handling how insanely aggressive the monsters are compared to the base game. I can stay alive, but staying alive and managing to do damage when there's few openings is difficult. Any time I get hit it's a big chunk on my health. Enjoying it none-the-less, I just need to get better and/or upgrade my gear. Maybe swapping to a ranged weapon would help me learn the fights a bit better and then go back to my Charge Blade once i'm more comfortable with them.
I felt like this in the beginning (barioth was a rude awakening) but now I can take down any tempered elder in 10-15 minutes. Granted it took a lot of hours to get to that point but if you're enjoying the game you'll get there too. You'll get better gear as you progress that allows you to do damage and survive, and you learn monster attack patterns to better allow you to utilize clutch claw and flinch shot and keep your damage output up.

Dlanor A. Knox

▲ Legend ▲
Apr 6, 2018
Guys i'm about to finally jump back on pc, wish I could transfer my character but oh well.

Should I already get Iceborne or can I wait until i'm done with the main game's story? Any advantages?

Did... Did they really give the Glavenus GS the dumb ass "sword with monster part slapped on" treatment??? The Glavenus Great Sword of all weapons??? What the fuck??? Man this whole weapon design thing they have going on in World is utter bullshit. I thought it would be better in Iceborne. Why of all the corners to cut they chose this corner??? Everyone should be able to enjoy cool ass looknig weapons for each monster regardless of your weapon of choice.
Yeah, the lack of equipment variety is a big problem with World in general, especially when they brought back so many veteran monsters and so few of their iconic weapons. Seeing what they did to the Zinogre GS after how fantastic the Usurper's Storm has looked for all these years is a damn tragedy.

silva1991

Oct 26, 2017
I feel like the melding tickets from the last festival filled that role.

I certainly don't think so and hope devs think that way. farming so many VIP tickets that are as rare as large elder dragon gems just to get so little feystones isn't remotely close to fighting an easy monster that can give you up to 30 feystones.

banter

Jan 12, 2018
I certainly don't think so and hope devs think that way. farming so many VIP tickets that are as rare as large elder dragon gems just to get so little feystones isn't remotely close to fighting an easy monster that can give you up to 30 feystones.
If you wore the event armor you'd get them pretty much every other quest. Also, the steamworks was handing melding tickets out like candy.

Richietto

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
North Carolina
Yeah, the lack of equipment variety is a big problem with World in general, especially when they brought back so many veteran monsters and so few of their iconic weapons. Seeing what they did to the Zinogre GS after how fantastic the Usurper's Storm has looked for all these years is a damn tragedy.
I haven't gotten to Zinogre yet. Please tell me the HH is intact!

WadeIt0ut

Oct 28, 2017
Iowa
You get access to the Clutch Claw right away. If that makes a difference to you, otherwise not sure there is much point. So maybe?

Stoked if accurate. I originally played on XBO and am starting Iceborne on PC tonight and only did the beginning parts of the story in the base game.

Wasn't really sure what to expect. I know some things in the base game are needed for crafting but I can't do that story again.

Guppeth

Oct 25, 2017
Sheffield, UK
I meant from the Steamworks. I got a huge pile of decos, including several I've never found before in 500 hours of playtime. If they make 4* deco tickets more common next time they do a festival, that's your Greatest Jagras.

DrROBschiz

Oct 25, 2017
Namielle Switch Axe is awesome looking and doesn't have horrible stats so im planning on using it as soon as I get around to making one

Bessy67

Oct 29, 2017
Namielle Switch Axe is awesome looking and doesn't have horrible stats so im planning on using it as soon as I get around to making one
I mean, it's fine for fashion hunting but all the Namielle weapons are pretty underwhelming to be honest. In general if you want a water weapon go for Coral Pukei and if you want raw there are a ton of better options.

Gamer @ Heart

Oct 26, 2017

I mean, it's fine for fashion hunting but all the Namielle weapons are pretty underwhelming to be honest. In general if you want a water weapon go for Coral Pukei and if you want raw there are a ton of better options.

What Bessy said. Unlike in base game, you have to take into account upgrade slots and the GL materials needed to upgrade them now. If your planning to rock an elemental build, then going puki not only gives you more water, but also double the slots to add like 100 more elemental on top of it with mods. Elder weapons are very expensive to expand mod slots (the rarest mat from GL) and come with fewer off the bat since they are all rank 12. Just something to consider.

Trickster

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I feel like I'm missing something super obvious. I completed what I assume is the "final" boss of the campaign. But I still can't craft weapons of rarity 10 or higher? I have a rarity 9 weapon, but I am not allowed to craft or see what materials are needed to upgrade it to the rarity 10 version

DrArchon

Oct 25, 2017
I feel like I'm missing something super obvious. I completed what I assume is the "final" boss of the campaign. But I still can't craft weapons of rarity 10 or higher? I have a rarity 9 weapon, but I am not allowed to craft or see what materials are needed to upgrade it to the rarity 10 version
Make sure you're in the Upgrade Weapon menu, not the Craft Weapon menu.

DrROBschiz

Oct 25, 2017
What Bessy said. Unlike in base game, you have to take into account upgrade slots and the GL materials needed to upgrade them now. If your planning to rock an elemental build, then going puki not only gives you more water, but also double the slots to add like 100 more elemental on top of it with mods. Elder weapons are very expensive to expand mod slots (the rarest mat from GL) and come with fewer off the bat since they are all rank 12. Just something to consider.

Lol guys i already have the best of the best and am not struggling

Fashion hunting IS my endgame now

Euler007

Jan 10, 2018
I meant from the Steamworks. I got a huge pile of decos, including several I've never found before in 500 hours of playtime. If they make 4* deco tickets more common next time they do a festival, that's your Greatest Jagras.

That steamworks event was the best. It was going through a pseudorandom list instead of rolling every time. I went from zero tenderizer to seven, zero crit boosts to three. I keep a spreadsheet of the decos I have and it's all green except missing one artillery, mighty bow and mind's eye. 40k fuel got me from deco poor to almost a full collection (for base game decos). I spent about three hours on this, less than I spent on Lavasioth which got me nothing noteworthy.

Last edited:
Oct 29, 2017
That steamworks event was the best. It was going through a pseudorandom list instead of rolling every time. I went from zero tenderizer to seven, zero crit boosts to three. I keep a spreadsheet of the decos I have and it's all been except missing one artillery, mighty bow and mind's eye. 40k fuel got me from deco poor to almost a full collection (for base game decos). I spent about three hours on this, less than I spent on Lavasioth which got me nothing noteworthy.
Wait, what tickets?

During the winter festivals, the Steamworks had an event going on where it was more likely to give tickets for decoration gambling from the melders. Course, PC missed out because of when it launched...
The good news is that they're running the winter festival for PC players next month, so we didn't miss out by too much. Hopefully, the spring festival will be day-and-date with the console versions.

Zhao_Yun

Oct 25, 2017
Germany
Iceborne is kicking my ass so far, i've had to SOS flare for nearly every fight. I'm not great at handling how insanely aggressive the monsters are compared to the base game. I can stay alive, but staying alive and managing to do damage when there's few openings is difficult. Any time I get hit it's a big chunk on my health. Enjoying it none-the-less, I just need to get better and/or upgrade my gear. Maybe swapping to a ranged weapon would help me learn the fights a bit better and then go back to my Charge Blade once i'm more comfortable with them.

How often are you using the clutch claw? One of the easiest ways to ko a monster is to use a flinch shot when a monster is not enraged (yellow icon on the minimap). All you need is some slinger ammo (stones are enough for this), then clutch claw to the monsters head, press Circle until it faces a wall and then press R2. If done correctly the monster will run against the wall and you'll have a good opening for damage combos. Sometimes it can be hard to pull it off without getting knocked off, but that's where the Rocksteady mantle or the temporal mantle are really handy since they prevent you from falling off.

Another important tip (more for multiplayer though) is when the monster is standing still for a few sec and visibly drooling you can extent the monsters idle time by using the clutch claw on it (doesn't matter what you do once you've done it). Your team mates will be thankful for more dps time.

Korezo

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Is there a GS video for IB with new changes and moves? Played GS IB on ps4 the same as I always have before the expansion, same for pc now. I believe more moves were added but never bothered trying to figure it out since playing regular has been fine.

Syril

Oct 26, 2017
Is there a GS video for IB with new changes and moves? Played GS IB on ps4 the same as I always have before the expansion, same for pc now. I believe more moves were added but never bothered trying to figure it out since playing regular has been fine.

Haven't seen all of this one but it seems pretty detailed. True Charge Slash is stronger if you land the weak hit first now too.

Akronis

Prophet of Regret - Lizard Daddy
Oct 25, 2017
Any posted fix for the microstuttering yet or gotta wait for official patch? My CPU doesn't go above 60% so it shouldn't be related to starved CPU.

xania

Oct 27, 2017
Did they change Flinch Free? I could've sworn lv1 blocked all friendly fire but my buddy's charged attacks still slap me around.

Bufbaf

Don't F5!
Oct 25, 2017
Hamburg, Germany
As a player who finished most of the regular content back on PlayStation now switching to PC and iceborne: Do I have to care about getting any sets or equipment from the regular game at all if I'm running with guardian/defender? Do I need them to upgrade later or to use as vanity armor, or is it fine to ignore the whole grind period?

Oct 25, 2017
Armor you don't have to worry about. Weapons you don't really until later either. The defender stuff is super OP and easy to upgrade

rahji

Oct 25, 2017
Everytime I mount a monster with my SA and I get to knock it down it with a ZSD I yell zero sum discharge through the apartment. The attack is so satisfying. It has gotten to the point that my girlfriend completes my yell with a BAMBAMBAMBAM.

Nosgoth

Oct 28, 2017
Started a new game for iceborne, rushed the original content using defender gear, got to iceborne proper, then dropped my jaw at how much hp these monsters now have. I don't remember previous g ranks gave such a huge bump to monster hp.

Premium Ghoul

Oct 27, 2017
Australia
Started a new game for iceborne, rushed the original content using defender gear, got to iceborne proper, then dropped my jaw at how much hp these monsters now have. I don't remember previous g ranks gave such a huge bump to monster hp.
I was surprised by the HP as well. Because I was curious I went back to a High Rank Tempered hunt and absolutely melted those monsters with my Iceborne gear. They're stupidly weak compared to the new monsters.

Estarossa

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
If you're talking about the Fextralife wiki then we been knew. Having their Twitch stream on top of the already godawful layout is a terrible practice.

Estarossa

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Looks like they've already added the GL fixes on the PC version? You can fix and adjust region levels right out of the gate, so that's nice.

slimgrumps

Oct 28, 2017
Anecdotally, is the PS4 player population still healthy enough? I've got caught up in the Iceborne hype but I dont really want to walk away from my 120+ hour save on PS4.

xEik

The Fallen
Nov 17, 2017
Principality of Catalonia
Anecdotally, is the PS4 player population still healthy enough? I've got caught up in the Iceborne hype but I dont really want to walk away from my 120+ hour save on PS4.
I'd say it is. We don't have actual numbers from Capcom of the amount of players but I generally don't have a problem finding people to hunt with. A different matter is some of the randoms you join in an SOS being absolutely terrible but that is going to happen regardless of population.

Xiaomi

Oct 25, 2017
Lining up a big bang combo on the head after a knockdown.

Random Longsword and Dual Blades users running over to the head: "We'll see about that."