• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Spaltazar

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
With how wild the monsters are i think i will farm velkhanas set for now for a more hit and run friendly style with gs. that effect seems like it is made for it coupled with quick sheath etc.

€: steam having problems? can't log in anymore, man that sucks

Last edited:

banter

Jan 12, 2018
What could you really add, other than more monsters? Any big new mechanic or possible new weapon type is going to be saved for a sixth gen title.
That and they already said Iceborne would be the only expansion for World. I'm pretty stoked for the next game. I haven't even (well I almost have) done everything there is to do in Iceborne but I'm still super excited for whatever is next.

Now that the heavy lifting for HD and higher resolutions has been done, I wouldn't mind a new weapon class for the next version (among whatever other changes that may come).
We're definitely due a new weapon or two. I suspect that the slinger took up a lot of their time this gen and denied us a new weapon type, though it's arguably for the best now that it's become an essential part of every weapon.

banter

Jan 12, 2018
We're definitely due a new weapon or two. I suspect that the slinger took up a lot of their time this gen and denied us a new weapon type, though it's arguably for the best now that it's become an essential part of every weapon.
Unless they go for underwater combat again :-X (Honestly would love it). It sure would bring some life to the piscine wyverns (except for Lavasioth... it would still suck).

DrROBschiz

Oct 25, 2017

MHxBuki-2.png

Its time.... For the Hunter Boomerang!

roflwaffles

Oct 30, 2017
does Greatsword even need flinch free for multi? i have it always slotted but for the current build i actually forgot it but i noticed absolutely no difference to before. i guess the charges give automatic flinch free? kinda neato to save on a slot here. even when we are 3 dudes bashing on a monsters head i can charge uninterrupted

Nope, you have built-in Flinch Free during your charges.

You may run into issues getting flinched by LSes as you run to a downed monster's head but generally Flinch Free is a waste on GS.

Richietto

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
North Carolina
Wasn't there concept art of a boomerang weapon? Do that for Gen 6's new weapon. Do the pet weapon as well! A weapon or 2 and all weapons getting unique skins is my main wants for Gen 6.

Also hope they never bring back water combat. Never mind its a straight waste of development resources when only a handful of monsters would use it, but Monster Hunter with a third axis being used in combat like that just isn't fun. Swimming in 3D games still sucks in 2020, adding combat is a horrible idea and always has been. Rather they just spend time on the main loop and not a weird gimmick.

Last edited:

Shifty Capone

Oct 27, 2017
Los Angeles
very strange day. stopped playing around 3 hours ago, worked out, took a shower and when I came back I notice the game is still running. I can't stop it from running, open another game just fine. Well alright, decide to restart my pc and find out that I have to reinstall the game, anyone else have this happen to them?

Edit: never mind, the "reinstall" was rather short, booted up the game just fine in 2 minutes, got scared for a second

Something similar has been happening to me constantly. Every time I quit the game the last few days, the games "closes," but the process is still running. I can hear the music, but the window and everything else is gone. I have to manually go into task manager and kill the process. It's odd.

haradaku7

May 28, 2018
The lack of water monsters in a game that takes place on a island is so weird to me, give me a water based area. No need for swimming just water based.

I want Mizutsune, lagia, amatsu and some water varients.

Also strange to see a Monster hunter game that doesn't have Fatalis. I can't think of any game that didn't have him eventually.

There are some larger monsters I think deserve to be in MHW before they move on to, stuff like akanto and ukanlos.

I think there is a lot of fanservice monsters that deserve to be in monster hunter world. I think I would like another tier of end game to really make world timeless as well. Like a major expansion to guilded lands, for emaxple adding something like deviants system.

OP
OP
BDS

BDS

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
The lack of water monsters in a game that takes place on a island is so weird to me

They tried. They had Lagiacrus in the game but something about his model kept glitching with the realistic environments. They did a whole GDC thing on it I believe. So because they couldn't get him working, they couldn't get any other leviathan-body monster working either.

Also strange to see a Monster hunter game that doesn't have Fatalis.

Yet.

komaruR

Oct 28, 2017
http://www.twitch.tv/komarur
The lack of water monsters in a game that takes place on a island is so weird to me, give me a water based area. No need for swimming just water based.

I want Mizutsune, lagia, amatsu and some water varients.

Also strange to see a Monster hunter game that doesn't have Fatalis. I can't think of any game that didn't have him eventually.

There are some larger monsters I think deserve to be in MHW before they move on to, stuff like akanto and ukanlos.

I think there is a lot of fanservice monsters that deserve to be in monster hunter world. I think I would like another tier of end game to really make world timeless as well. Like a major expansion to guilded lands, for emaxple adding something like deviants system.
mh3 didnt have fatalis. :P

alpha

Oct 25, 2017
I hope they bring back all of the unique weapon models for the older monsters. Stuff like Brachy's LS was outright shameful to see.

DrArchon

Oct 25, 2017
MHxBuki-2.png

Its time.... For the Hunter Boomerang!
The main problem I have with the Boomerang Weapon idea is that as environments get denser and denser with increased fidelity, that's just more problems when it comes to throwing around a boomerang that big. In the previous games it would've been fine because those environments were all just flat plains with different textures. But can you imagine throwing this around in the Ancient Forest?

Side note: Character art in the upper left there is giving me mad FFT vibes.

haradaku7

May 28, 2018
Don't get me wrong, I think MHW is a damm fine entry into the series, but if I have to wait a few years for mh6 I would like a crew working on world to keep it going like they are now.

The main problem I have with the Boomerang Weapon idea is that as environments get denser and denser with increased fidelity, that's just more problems when it comes to throwing around a boomerang that big. In the previous games it would've been fine because those environments were all just flat plains with different textures. But can you imagine throwing this around in the Ancient Forest?

Side note: Character art in the upper left there is giving me mad FFT vibes.
Easy solution: never design anything as stupid as Ancient Forest again.

Oct 27, 2017
OKC
i have a question i haven't really been able to find an answer to:

I played the base game a ton on PS4 at launch, but then wanted to wait to play Iceborne on PC because thats where all my friends play. I bought it and started a character and used the defender gear to rush through vanilla, which I assume is the intended purpose for the defender gear. I did literally 0 optional content so, do I need to go back and do optional vanilla stuff to unlock mantles or is there a catch-up mechanic in Iceborne for someone who used the defender gear. I know there are upgraded versions of a lot of the gear, can I just do those quests and get that stuff or do I have to have the vanilla versions first?

komaruR

Oct 28, 2017
think back in mh2 theres these little boomerang tools. you can actual cut tail with it. think the mechanic was that u can build dmg(like hammer) to the tail then use it to finish it off. think it was soon codedout so u cant do dmg build up anymore. still didnt stop a group of 4 ppl throwing boomerang constantly to cut tail tho lol

komaruR

Oct 28, 2017
i have a question i haven't really been able to find an answer to:

I played the base game a ton on PS4 at launch, but then wanted to wait to play Iceborne on PC because thats where all my friends play. I bought it and started a character and used the defender gear to rush through vanilla, which I assume is the intended purpose for the defender gear. I did literally 0 optional content so, do I need to go back and do optional vanilla stuff to unlock mantles or is there a catch-up mechanic in Iceborne for someone who used the defender gear. I know there are upgraded versions of a lot of the gear, can I just do those quests and get that stuff or do I have to have the vanilla versions first?
think i asked this a long time ago when iceborne came out. answer was u need base mantle inorder to even see the upgrade quest given by x npc.
i was asking this coz i didnt have all mantle and hoped to get the + ver lol

but really the only few mantle you really use in iceborne is pretty much the mantles u can get easily without doing much grind of specific task to unlock.

temporal, rocksteady, vitality, health booster
are the pretty much use often tools.
then u get maybe thunder or fire for specific fights.

rember the affinity mantle that req some kinda criteria to unlock? well you dont even use this because you should be near 100% affinity from armor skill anyway. also evasion mantle gets outclass by temporal, think only reason u might want is if u do some speedrun and want the atk boost

Last edited:

DrArchon

Oct 25, 2017
Best mantles now are the same as the ones in base game (Rocksteady, Temporal, Evasion, Impact) + Glider Mantle.

And Glider's only good because two level 4 slots on a mantle with 180 second uptime and 120 second cooldown is a really fucking good deal.

DrROBschiz

Oct 25, 2017
Best mantles now are the same as the ones in base game (Rocksteady, Temporal, Evasion, Impact) + Glider Mantle.

And Glider's only good because two level 4 slots on a mantle with 180 second uptime and 120 second cooldown is a really fucking good deal.

Fireproof is an amazing counter to Lunastra
Thunderproof is excellent against Kirin and potentially Namielle
Iceproof is great for Velkhana but hardly a neccessity
Waterproof for Namielle I guess? But also not needed
Dragonproof feels underrated but I suppose raw weapons are so good against dragon blight monsters that it doesnt matter much

So yeah I still recommend getting them all and getting them upgraded but for the most part you will use the mantles you listed lol

ReDelicious

Oct 27, 2017

Don't forget it also allows you to do aerial attacks with your clutch claw for easy mounting damage in areas without anything to jump off of! I threw a +30% aerial damage gem on mine since GS aerial attacks are pretty strong.

roflwaffles

Oct 30, 2017
Honestly I think most of the Tempered Elders aside from Lunastra are pretty manageable and not that hard. Lunastra's mainly tough because she'll spam her supernova in GL and everyone is bound to die a bit from it. I'd much rather fight any of them than a Tigrex, Barioth, or Stygian Zino.

That being said, I think Blackveil Vaal is a total joke of a fight.

Last edited:

R2RD

▲ Legend ▲
Nov 6, 2018
Glider is also the perfect mantle for the Final boss set bonus skill.
I fought Lunastra once in iceborne she spammed the nova so much that I decided not to fight her again since I dont want her armor or weapons.
Her and kushala are the worst.

DrROBschiz

Oct 25, 2017
Honestly I think most of the Tempered Elders aside from Lunastra are pretty manageable and not that hard. Lunastra's mainly tough because she'll spam her supernova in GL and everyone is bound to die a bit from it. I'd much rather fight any of them than a Tigrex, Barioth, or Stygian Zino.

That being said, I think Blackveil Vaal is a total joke of a fight.

Makes me think the rumors might be onto something considering that endgame gear, even before being maxxed out, does slant the advantage to the players for the most part even if tempered monsters still pose a legitimate threat here and there

I eagerly await to see what they come up with for the final post game push

R2RD

▲ Legend ▲
Nov 6, 2018
The one thing that I want the most is to use any master ranked armour as layered armour. In Iceborne you only get to craft low rank monster based layered armour AFTER you finish the story.
They mentioned they are thinking about adding MR sets as layered in the future. we will probably get that info in the next dairy.

Conkerkid11

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
The one thing that I want the most is to use any master ranked armour as layered armour. In Iceborne you only get to craft low rank monster based layered armour AFTER you finish the story.
Wait, really? I thought they were slowly adding more armor in or something? Are you talking about PC or console?

Because I was really counting on being able to use the new Odogaron Beta set as my layered armor, and I'm gonna be disappointed if I have to use the mod again.