• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Gutsfree

Self-requested ban
Banned
Jun 1, 2018
As a Charge Blade main i'd say hang in there if this is your first encounter with those namely narca and barioth be patient and Savage Axe mode is your friend not sure which CB you're running but their quite easy with alot of tells for alot of Charge Blade abuse make sure you're clutching them and their front legs to make them immobile and keep wailing on them till they run out of stamina for lots of openings
Currently, using the upgraded Great jagras CB and trying to get the build one currently. Should I be clutching legs when they're enraged (like after an attack)?

benj

Oct 27, 2017
I think that if you find you're taking too much damage on CB, brushing up on your guardpointing is really the way to go. maintaining aggression safely relies on being able to consistently guardpoint, IMO

benj

Oct 27, 2017
so I'm poking around the guiding lands for the first time. Think I got the hang of it, roughly.

I'm curious, though—how do people SOS here? I've noticed that there aren't many SOS's up for it and that none of them have declared objectives. that's sorta surprising to me, since i'd figure most people in the guiding lands are specifically trying to level one or another region up. what's the deal, do people just go cruise around from region to region not trying for anything in particular? or do people mostly run it solo?

Guppeth

Oct 25, 2017
Sheffield, UK
so I'm poking around the guiding lands for the first time. Think I got the hang of it, roughly.

I'm curious, though—how do people SOS here? I've noticed that there aren't many SOS's up for it and that none of them have declared objectives. that's sorta surprising to me, since i'd figure most people in the guiding lands are specifically trying to level one or another region up. what's the deal, do people just go cruise around from region to region not trying for anything in particular? or do people mostly run it solo?
I always declare objectives, but yeah it's rare to see others doing it. I play solo when I'm trying to level a region, and only send a flare when I fight scary tempered monsters. I figure no one wants to join me to kill a bunch of Lavasioths, but lots of people want tempered Rajang.

Premium Ghoul

Oct 27, 2017
Australia
Got that sweet Guild Cross layered set from the arena. Also, as a nice bonus, spending time in the arena made me realise that the Lance is actually really fun!

I spend ages with one weapon and then try another on a whim, then I spend the next ten hours making sets and builds for that new weapon... then it all repeats with another one lol

benj

Oct 27, 2017
okay so I SOS'd in my own expedition and have had people joining regularly. but going has been REALLY slow from lvl 2 -> lvl 3. is that just the lvl 2 -> lvl 3 jump, or is leveling slower in a group? or am I doing something wrong? I just want Garuga dammit

Guppeth

Oct 25, 2017
Sheffield, UK
okay so I SOS'd in my own expedition and have had people joining regularly. but going has been REALLY slow from lvl 2 -> lvl 3. is that just the lvl 2 -> lvl 3 jump, or is leveling slower in a group? or am I doing something wrong? I just want Garuga dammit
Try to focus on monsters that are exclusive to the region you're levelling, rather than ones that live in more than one region. And bring traps and use them all. Regions get a small XP boost when you trap a monster in them.

p3n

Oct 28, 2017

The fastest way to level a region is by joining another lands with that region at level 1. Then just break and capture a monster that is specific to that region. You'll get 80% to 120% of a level regardless of which level you are at.

Talos

Mar 5, 2019
The fastest way to level a region is by joining another lands with that region at level 1. Then just break and capture a monster that is specific to that region. You'll get 80% to 120% of a level regardless of which level you are at.

I agree. Ive found this to be the fastest way. So fast that it becomes hard to balance levels when trying to go for 3 level 7 regions as the other regions drop so much.

Also, does anyone know if you can roll gold rathian technique on the safi weapons? Never seen it.

.exe

Oct 25, 2017
Hit MR71 baybee. Did the MR69 quest last night before going to bed, and I'm ready to get some T2-3 tempered mats to improve my armor and weapons today. This game, folks. It's so good! I think the only game I've played more of is Destiny 2, but if MHW gets one more expansion I can see it catching up.

xEik

The Fallen
Nov 17, 2017
Principality of Catalonia
Got that sweet Guild Cross layered set from the arena. Also, as a nice bonus, spending time in the arena made me realise that the Lance is actually really fun!
This is, in part, one of the purposes of having equipment gated behind arena coins. So that people try new weapons and find something that clicks with them. Otherwise, they'd provide 14 (one per weapon) predetermined sets for each arena.

rahji

Oct 25, 2017
The more I play with lance the more I value it. You can block through a lot of attacks, be immediately in the monster's face and poke poke poke. I just miss the combo potential of my switch axe. With lance you just do the 3 hit combo poke backstep repeat. I also get the impression that lance is a very reactive weapon. If you play in multiplayer you can't use the counter moves very often because the monster targets other hunters.

somax

Oct 27, 2017
The more I play with lance the more I value it. You can block through a lot of attacks, be immediately in the monster's face and poke poke poke. I just miss the combo potential of my switch axe. With lance you just do the 3 hit combo poke backstep repeat. I also get the impression that lance is a very reactive weapon. If you play in multiplayer you can't use the counter moves very often because the monster targets other hunters.
Yes, lance is much better when you have the enemy full attention, otherwise most Attacks will ignore you...

.exe

Oct 25, 2017
Apparently I never ran AT Daora when it was out before, so I decided to get the mats for the armor and layered set.

A very frustrating two hours ensued. Those winds. Ugh. I was glad to have done it with MR gear at least.

Oct 29, 2017
Ish is pretty easy I think besides the bullshit kamehameha, he pretty much can follow anything with it. It's stupid how he can follow the genki dama with that, you cant see shit and he is already doing it, the first couple times I thought the big attack had something like a lingering hitbox or whatever.

DrArchon

Oct 25, 2017
Man, those crown quests can't come soon enough.

I'm up to 62 Banbaro kills and I still can't get a large gold crown. It's maddening.

xEik

The Fallen
Nov 17, 2017
Principality of Catalonia
With lance you just do the 3 hit combo poke backstep repeat.
I only use back-step (or side-step) in the combo if I need to reposition a short distance. Otherwise, it's poke, poke, poke, short counter, poke poke, short counter...
For slightly longer repositioning the short forward hop that ends in a multi-hitting stab is great for mobility. Longer distances call for the dash.

Ravelle

Oct 31, 2017
The people that designed Valkhana's fight hate life itself.

What a miserable fight, you spend more time running, dodging, popping null berries, trying yo heal and being out of breath than attacking.

Keep Your distance and you get 2 ice blasts in the face finishing you off and when you close the distance you get ice cubes in your head of spikes from the ground.

Even full parties get wiped with one unlucky swoop.

R2RD

▲ Legend ▲
Nov 6, 2018
Safi Jiiva has killed this game for me. Now that I have the "best" weapons I only play when there's an event. I'm still missing tons of stuff but it feels kinda pointless. I have to thanks the MH team for the meat hammer tho I don't see myself using any other hammer for some time.

Pyros Eien

Oct 31, 2017
There's no way to tell there's a monster of that region up though right? Like besides joining a friend and luring the monster you can't really use that with pubs since it's likely if their rotted region is at 1 they're not going to be killing anything in there.

Deleted member 36578

Dec 21, 2017
There's no way to tell there's a monster of that region up though right? Like besides joining a friend and luring the monster you can't really use that with pubs since it's likely if their rotted region is at 1 they're not going to be killing anything in there.
You can tell by pulling up the map and you can see the regions icon next to the monsters on the bottom.

Lyrick

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Okay struggling to drag my ass through this stupid fucking story for a third time (Launch PS4, XB GamePass, Now PC w/ expansion) and while the nonskipable cut scenes were bad enough, now the handler is wearing a damn furry suit...

HcOM3Fa.png

sQVdJH6.png

SKtBbdn.png

How do I turn this shit off?

Icarian

May 9, 2018
I'm sure this has been asked but here it goes anyway: The hell is going on with the crashes? I just bought the expansion and I can't get past the intro missions because I keep getting "ERR12: Graphics device crashed" Error.

What's causing this? I have over 150 hours on the base game and never had a problem, now I can't play at all? I've even had crashes on the menu before going in the game...

Lyrick

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I'm sure this has been asked but here it goes anyway: The hell is going on with the crashes? I just bought the expansion and I can't get past the intro missions because I keep getting "ERR12: Graphics device crashed" Error.

What's causing this? I have over 150 hours on the base game and never had a problem, now I can't play at all? I've even had crashes on the menu before going in the game...
switch to DX11...

I had the same issues w/ DX12

Guppeth

Oct 25, 2017
Sheffield, UK
Okay struggling to drag my ass through this stupid fucking story for a third time (Launch PS4, XB GamePass, Now PC w/ expansion) and while the nonskipable cut scenes were bad enough, now the handler is wearing a damn furry suit...

HcOM3Fa.png

sQVdJH6.png

SKtBbdn.png

Your housekeeper can change the Handler's outfit. Your post made me laugh though! It makes me wish MHW had some real stakes and tragedy, just so they can be delivered by a big kitty.

Deleted member 63139

User requested account closure
Banned
Jan 17, 2020
Extreme Behemoth is still..Extreme regardless of my IB stuff...
I nearly doubled defense but one ecliptic meteor OS you anyways so when you don't have comets and you badly time your jump...

Pyros Eien

Oct 31, 2017
You can tell by pulling up the map and you can see the regions icon next to the monsters on the bottom.

I mean that's for your map, what they were saying was you go in someone's else guiding lands that's lvl 1 and then hunt a monster there in the region you want but there's no way to see other's people monsters before joining in I think?

I tried it though and it didn't look any different than doing my own stuff. I killed a Girros in someone's else guiding lands and still got about the same progress as I'd get normally killing a Girros in mine. Which is not 80-120% and more like 40-50%(parts broken and capture).

Sep 23, 2019
Extreme Behemoth is still..Extreme regardless of my IB stuff...
I nearly doubled defense but one ecliptic meteor OS you anyways so when you don't have comets and you badly time your jump...
Well yeah....Behemoth Ecliptic and safis nuke are one shot kills no matter how high your defense is.
Exremoth isnt really hard anymore in Iceborne
He wasnt even that hard if you played with a coordinated team back in HR.

Garbrenn

Oct 30, 2017

HcOM3Fa.png

sQVdJH6.png

SKtBbdn.png

I don't see the problem here, you should craft the felyne head and join in on the cosplay.

Ferrs

Avenger
Oct 26, 2017
God, this VIP ticket system is so fucking trash. I just want to play the game not get stuck picking herbs....

DrArchon

Oct 25, 2017
God, this VIP ticket system is so fucking trash. I just want to play the game not get stuck picking herbs....
You can still get them without the armor. I got my 5 for the layered without any grinding, and I didn't feel like I was super lucky with them.

You probably have to grind for all of the pendants, but they all suck imo.

Ferrs

Avenger
Oct 26, 2017
You can still get them without the armor. I got my 5 for the layered without any grinding, and I didn't feel like I was super lucky with them.

You probably have to grind for all of the pendants, but they all suck imo.

Can you? only started to get them once I started with this herb event with the armor, and it's still like 1 every 3 runs...

Needless to say this game hates me so much lol

Aug 25, 2019
So I hit 400 hours today, it's easily my most played game of all time. And I still wanna play it!! I have a problem..... (the second most played game for me would be phantasy star online for dreamcast)

Pyros Eien

Oct 31, 2017
Can you? only started to get them once I started with this herb event with the armor, and it's still like 1 every 3 runs...
You can, it's slow though, if you want the layered asap it's better to grind, but if you don't care there's 2 weeks, I get like one every 10quests or so? So you can eventually get a bunch.

Also if you care about achievements, one of them is "help 10 LR/HR players as a MR player" and you can do that with the full 5 pc set and get a ticket almost every run(anecdotically it seemed to drop more from assigned/optional quests than events/investigations but could be RNG), these quests take like 3-5mins if you look for LR SOS, it's like killing a LR Jagras which dies in 3combos, spend more time running to it than fighting.